Author Topic: Memory Screen: Paul Rodriguez  (Read 2742 times)

JMSneep

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 147
Memory Screen: Paul Rodriguez
« on: May 03, 2021, 02:15:59 AM »
Just released a new remix, of Paul Rodriguez. Enjoy!

https://youtu.be/lwSsxmz29wM

mareo

• Rep: -336
Re: Memory Screen: Paul Rodriguez
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2021, 02:25:48 AM »
The real Michael Jordan of skateboarding.

Quote from: I sniff my own butthole all the time
2nd vote would be for PJ. sometimes it is a fine command of the english language to say nothing and he extended that to skating. PJ's plan B part is the emperor's new clothes.

Grind King Rims

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2021, 06:40:30 AM »
Great stuff Sneep.

Mouth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -297
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2021, 06:44:40 AM »
Paul has had an amazing career.

'No Mouth, you have a negative rep because you are a fan of growing your wealth off of the backs of low paid workers and brag about having bodyguards. You literally kook people for doing charity in South East Asia. Don't deny it.'

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 282
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2021, 06:47:09 AM »
I found those pants in the black and white section pretty jarring after 6 minutes of his ideal trouser bagginess

lk130

• Topic and Post Probation
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -829
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2021, 09:10:39 AM »
If u ever saw him in 411 those were probably the baggiest
I need Cariuma -Me

yungxmulaxbaby

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1890
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2021, 10:00:18 AM »

Say what you want about his robotic style and trick selection, but he's 1 child prodigy that has an enduring career and business legacy.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

yungthug

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -37
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2021, 10:16:43 AM »
Without a doubt one of the most influential skateboarders of his generation. Most of my little skate buddies growing up had P-Rod as their favorite skater. Impeccable style, and his skating has aged like a fine wine.

Thanks Sneep as always!

Meekin

• Rep: 5
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2021, 02:07:16 PM »
amazing as always!
There was an interview with TK, when he was a plumber. He got asked if he gets recognized on the job and his response was "No. Plumbin in disguise." Everyone on SLAP thought he said "put him in the sky"

Coastal Fever

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 495
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2021, 03:34:48 PM »
Ss bs nbs that rail was/still is insane.

Lame_Nigga

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2
  • Just a lame nigga who can't kickflip
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2021, 04:18:28 PM »
Paul's never been a favorite of mine, there's something about his style that just doesn't click with me. This edit was fire though, perfect song choice. It's easy (to me at least) to forget how long Paul's been running the game.

funeral_tuxedo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1137
  • old and in the way
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2021, 05:14:17 PM »
@JMSneep that edit was just lovely, man. I'd never seen the last three tricks before and I especially liked the fs shuv nosegrind nollieheel 180 out. I've never seen a good-looking nollie 180 heel out of nosegrind before, even MJ's one in Pretty Sweet was kind of clunky. If there are any other nice ones please shout them out.

I wish there was a Memory Screen contest where winner gets to request a Sneep edit of their favorite skater (Matt Hensley or Heath Kirchart pls)

conqueso

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2021, 05:22:17 PM »
that was dope. he never stopped getting better throughout his career.

banksandledges

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 205
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2021, 05:29:02 PM »
That was a great edit.  Flow, music and of course tha god PR ripping

Mantracker

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 160
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2021, 09:44:46 PM »

Or is it more a Jordan and Lebron situation?

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1890
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2021, 10:29:51 PM »
Music edit was on point - I zoned out 1/2 way through the skating; he's just too consistent and makes everything look too clean.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

mareo

« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2021, 02:15:25 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Career-wise I don't think there's anybody that comes close. What do you guys think?

2nd vote would be for PJ. sometimes it is a fine command of the english language to say nothing and he extended that to skating. PJ's plan B part is the emperor's new clothes.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2021, 02:40:22 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Career-wise I don't think there's anybody that comes close. What do you guys think?

People make terrible comparisons on here and offer zero explanation to base it upon. 

Paul Rodriguez is probably not in the Top 10 all time or if he is, he’s at the bottom.  Comparing him to Jordan makes no sense because it’s an apple and oranges comparison.   Paul didn’t win a bunch of titles or mvps or awards of note and he’s not super influential to generations of skaters where they all try to pattern their style after his or turn skateboarding into an international sport based off his singular talent.   He was the best skater in his era, which was kind of a downer era of skating, so I’d compare him to someone who was big in the late 90s NBA

Koston is the person I would compare Jordan to, particularly if you just want to go the “great talent, terrible personality” route

if you think me saying he's not top 10 is unfair - here's 18 skaters of the top of my head I'd rate above him.  who'd you replace with him?

eric koston
andrew reynolds
tony hawk
daewon song
marc johnson
mark gonzales
josh kalis
heath kirchart
arto saari
geoffrowley
john cardiel
dennis buzenitz
fred gall
AVE
ronnie creager
guy mariano
ishod wair
jake johnson
« Last Edit: May 04, 2021, 02:52:02 AM by Atiba Applebum »

Mantracker

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 160
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2021, 08:00:22 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

People make terrible comparisons on here and offer zero explanation to base it upon. 

Paul Rodriguez is probably not in the Top 10 all time or if he is, he’s at the bottom.  Comparing him to Jordan makes no sense because it’s an apple and oranges comparison.   Paul didn’t win a bunch of titles or mvps or awards of note and he’s not super influential to generations of skaters where they all try to pattern their style after his or turn skateboarding into an international sport based off his singular talent.   He was the best skater in his era, which was kind of a downer era of skating, so I’d compare him to someone who was big in the late 90s NBA

Koston is the person I would compare Jordan to, particularly if you just want to go the “great talent, terrible personality” route

if you think me saying he's not top 10 is unfair - here's 18 skaters of the top of my head I'd rate above him.  who'd you replace with him?

eric koston
andrew reynolds
tony hawk
daewon song
marc johnson
mark gonzales
josh kalis
heath kirchart
arto saari
geoffrowley
john cardiel
dennis buzenitz
fred gall
AVE
ronnie creager
guy mariano
ishod wair
jake johnson

I posted last night half stoned. I meant to say it's a Jordan and Lebron situation with Koston. Lebron at the end of his prime, so is Prod, turning into a mentor for the younger generation.

mattchew

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 355
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2021, 08:40:33 AM »
Switch back smith switch backside 360 out...is psychotic.
P R E P A R E  T O  T I M E C O D E

jorge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -102
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2021, 08:50:23 AM »
Comparing him to Michael Jordan is absolutely insane.  He is in the top 100 of all time but that Jordan slot has long been taken (Gonz/Hawk/Mullen, depending on your taste).

Mickey Knox

• Rep: -32
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2021, 09:00:31 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

eric koston
andrew reynolds
tony hawk
daewon song
marc johnson
mark gonzales
josh kalis
heath kirchart
arto saari
geoffrowley
john cardiel
dennis buzenitz
fred gall
AVE
ronnie creager
guy mariano
ishod wair
jake johnson
[close]

I posted last night half stoned. I meant to say it's a Jordan and Lebron situation with Koston. Lebron at the end of his prime, so is Prod, turning into a mentor for the younger generation.

This is definitely one of the dumber posts I’ve ever read on here. How are you going to doubt Paul’s influence? Him leaving Es for Nike in the 2000’s was one of the most influential moves of all time and for better or worse marked for a new era of corporate skateboarding. This was very controversial at the time and most people called him stupid for it. Koston was what? Ten years behind to follow suit. Fast forward and he now owns one of the best selling board brands in the world. All while still progressing his skating, even at his current age. Koston ran his company into the ground and hasn’t put out quality footage in a decade.
But to answer your question. You really think that Mr. 270 out , Ronnie Creager, is more influential than Prod? That must some strong stuff you’re smoking.

S.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 63
    • Fotos avatar image
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2021, 03:00:01 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Say what you want about his robotic style and trick selection, but he's 1 child prodigy that has an enduring career and business legacy.

Yeah, I like Paul. He was the original robot, but he was also hugely influential especially on the Cali style of skating of the past two decades.

He also has always come across as a solid dude, which is very unusual for a guy in his position. He was basically a globally known superstar since he was 16 years old.

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 311
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2021, 03:35:49 PM »
It is just different for every generation. You sort of can't hate on that. Some people will say Jordan is the best, some people say Kobe, some people say Lebron, etc. Just like everything in life now, no cares about the generation prior and most are into what is current and hip. Your opinion is like....your opinion. No ones top 5 or 10 favorite pros will all be the same.
I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin
sew your asshole closed, and keep feedin you
and feedin you, and feedin you, and feedin you!

Burt Ward

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 499
« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2021, 04:58:34 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

eric koston
andrew reynolds
tony hawk
daewon song
marc johnson
mark gonzales
josh kalis
heath kirchart
arto saari
geoffrowley
john cardiel
dennis buzenitz
fred gall
AVE
ronnie creager
guy mariano
ishod wair
jake johnson

I agree with your assessment. I'm gonna go one further though and say he's the most overrated skateboarder of all time.
Now, we used to say we put on our tights to put on the world. So I don't think it tarnishes the image at all.

Second Division

• Rep: 8
« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2021, 05:29:22 PM »
Such an amazing edit, got me so stoked. It's easy to forget just how tech Paul is, but his switch ledge game is insane (in a good way, good trick selection), and his tricks are always landed perfect.

Maybe not in some of your top 10s, but he's the whole package (skating, seems like a good human, business wise, owns the company with the best team our rn).

Swithflip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -748
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2021, 05:36:38 PM »
Paul is Midas of skateboarding.  Won every single contest that he disputed. Koston didnt win Maluf, Xgame or any Street League. 
Paul has great memorable video parts and influenced skaters of my generation more than anyone: look at Shane, Felipe Gustavo, Luan de Oliveira, Mike Mo, Sean Malto, Tiago Lemos, Carlos Ribeiro, Miles Silvas list goes on, its a forever list.
If Koston is Jordan, Paul is Lebron for sure.
Paul was the main guy of Nike for at last 15 years and Made Nike  sb more acceptable. Nobody cared about Nike until Paul first model.

My personal favorite skater is JB gillet, but Paul is a legend..stop hate and sit.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2021, 06:10:52 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

eric koston
andrew reynolds
tony hawk
daewon song
marc johnson
mark gonzales
josh kalis
heath kirchart
arto saari
geoffrowley
john cardiel
dennis buzenitz
fred gall
AVE
ronnie creager
guy mariano
ishod wair
jake johnson
[close]

[close]

This is definitely one of the dumber posts I’ve ever read on here. How are you going to doubt Paul’s influence? Him leaving Es for Nike in the 2000’s was one of the most influential moves of all time and for better or worse marked for a new era of corporate skateboarding. This was very controversial at the time and most people called him stupid for it. Koston was what? Ten years behind to follow suit. Fast forward and he now owns one of the best selling board brands in the world. All while still progressing his skating, even at his current age. Koston ran his company into the ground and hasn’t put out quality footage in a decade.
But to answer your question. You really think that Mr. 270 out , Ronnie Creager, is more influential than Prod? That must some strong stuff you’re smoking.

That is the list of the greatest skaters of all time, not the most influential.   So if Creager doesn’t make your list, P Rods still not in the top 15 and I left a bunch of names out like Carroll, Burnquist that would rate higher than him. 

Saying that he ushered in the corporate side of skateboarding with an influential move to Nike (and let’s not forget Plan B) is not as rad of a move as you think.  He was always in Kostons shadow and got offered a fuck ton of money and 10 ok to ugly pro models to join.   Koston was the biggest pro on the biggest shoe team at the time and didn’t need to make that move.   P Rods skating at this time was also super boring.  I know it wasn’t all switch flips down 12-13 stairs and flips down 4 flat 4 double sets, but it sure felt like it

WayneKerr

• Rep: -2
« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2021, 06:28:09 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

eric koston
andrew reynolds
tony hawk
daewon song
marc johnson
mark gonzales
josh kalis
heath kirchart
arto saari
geoffrowley
john cardiel
dennis buzenitz
fred gall
AVE
ronnie creager
guy mariano
ishod wair
jake johnson

I rate P-Rod over heaps of those guys
Dork tricks ain't nothing new, people just get internet likes for them now instead of being called a faggot like when I was a kid

mareo

« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2021, 08:44:39 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

eric koston
andrew reynolds
tony hawk
daewon song
marc johnson
mark gonzales
josh kalis
heath kirchart
arto saari
geoffrowley
john cardiel
dennis buzenitz
fred gall
AVE
ronnie creager
guy mariano
ishod wair
jake johnson

Alright, I feel like "being the Michael Jordan of something" has a different meaning from me since I'm not from the US and I don't even follow NBA, my bad.

That's why I said career-wise, I don't think there's anybody close to him. There are people more skilled than him, people more influential, people that did it first... I'm not saying he's the greatest of all time, but everything he did/does is class.

Was a very good child prodigy, got into the "best" sponsors (eS, Girl, PlanB, Nike...), he made Nike somewhat acceptable or popular, undeniably great parts (and a lot of them), He did well in contests even if that's not your thing, he seems like a nice guy and not a douche (but I don't know the guy), and then he started his Primitive brand with in my opinion the best and most productive team out there.

There are other guys that have done some of those things, but not all of them. Again, I'm happy to be proven wrong.