Author Topic: The Official SLAP Propagandhi Thread  (Read 4467 times)

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
The Official SLAP Propagandhi Thread
« on: May 03, 2021, 08:14:43 PM »
Their name has been popping up in a few other threads lately and they're not exactly hardcore, skate punk, metal/ thrash or even regular punk, so let's concentrate our discussions about them into this thread. I don't even really know where to start, but I think maybe when and where we all got into them might be a good reference point (I'll post mine later)?
Feel free to rank their albums too, I think @cucktard and myself had a massive discussion about this on a insta a while back.

I'm also about to post like 29 of my favorite tracks of theirs and spam the shit out of this thread, but I think my fav YouTube related propagandhi content at the moment is this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rRrYCBWb0Y
"They're the best band in the world!"
There you go, Bill Stevenson just made that call!

Also, if you are a long-term fan this is a great way to nerd out and learn more about all your fav tracks:
https://www.instagram.com/propagandhipod/?hl=en
(I'm sure the majority of you know about this podcast anyway)

I straight up have no qualms about claiming them as my favorite band ever!

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

Sifter

• Rep: 46
Re: The Official SLAP Propagandhi Thread
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2021, 11:02:43 PM »
Less Talk, More Rock is their only good album

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 321
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2021, 12:16:46 AM »
First heard of them around 93, other snowboarders I was hanging around talked about them while NOFX and Pennywise was the soundtrack to winter.

One guys said ‘they have good tunes, but are too political’. I first found a used copy of their split with I-Spy in Borderline (Lethbridge AB skate shop that had some tunes) and immediately fell in love.

It was the intelligence of Bad Religion with the self-depreciating wit of NOFX, with a hard political slant that introduced me to a new way of interpreting things like the Oka standoff in Quebec, or detailed reasoning to my vague distrust of nationalism. It was fast, funny, and intellectually challenging.

That lasted until Potemkin, when they started exchanging humor for more serious an crafted lyrics, and got a bit darker with a move towards the speed metal of their youth.

Each new album is a masterpiece, they are still refining their songwriting and sharpening the vision they want for their sound. But it has moved well beyond what brought me to them.

Lately I’ve been listening to Chris Hannah’s Patreon podcast where he will focus on a single song in their history, and give a very detailed background of the influences, engineering, equipment, and conditions that inspired it. The stories he has of how the lyrics and message are the most fascinating part for me.

Plus, his sense of humor shines through when he tells it. 
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

LordManHammer

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -324
  • (0_o) whatever dog you probably suck at it
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2021, 12:19:59 AM »
I back this, I think their cover of Cheap Trick was absolute trash of how to clean everything.

They've had a weird following early 2000's albeit militant queer friendly but have caused fighting at show's. Maybe sussing out Nazi's? Street beefs? Jealous lover's? Who really knows the story idk.....

I would love to see them but I'm not in to show's with meathead tough guy's.

Dueces Bitch's

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2021, 01:10:49 AM »
Last time I say them was a Tuesday night in Calgary and it was almost all 30+ elders with a tastefully restrained mosh pit. It was pretty mild. Maybe it’s your locality?

Fucking killer set though. The band shredded.

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

urbneathme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 281
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2021, 08:38:05 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
I back this, I think their cover of Cheap Trick was absolute trash of how to clean everything.

They've had a weird following early 2000's albeit militant queer friendly but have caused fighting at show's. Maybe sussing out Nazi's? Street beefs? Jealous lover's? Who really knows the story idk.....

where on earth did you see them? i saw them on a weeknight, stood fairly close to the stage and i don’t think i was even prompted to involuntarily move my feet while they played.

i lean supporting caste as my favorite album and in the talk of potempkin i posit that “rock for sustainable capitalism” is one of the all-time great diss tracks.

“this year’s vans warped tour is going green, i guess they heard that money grows on trees. i hope they shit those shitty bands overseas like the did the factories” juvenile, mean and an adult criticism of their business practices. perfection.

LordManHammer

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -324
  • (0_o) whatever dog you probably suck at it
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2021, 10:36:51 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
where on earth did you see them? i saw them on a weeknight, stood fairly close to the stage and i don’t think i was even prompted to involuntarily move my feet while they played.

i lean supporting caste as my favorite album and in the talk of potempkin i posit that “rock for sustainable capitalism” is one of the all-time great diss tracks.

“this year’s vans warped tour is going green, i guess they heard that money grows on trees. i hope they shit those shitty bands overseas like the did the factories” juvenile, mean and an adult criticism of their business practices. perfection.
I saw them in Calgary years ago at a punk house show, it was fun but I think they've got a crew following them around 

It was definitely off putting.
Dueces Bitch's

keepthefunkalive

• Rep: 129
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2021, 03:29:42 PM »
I think I'd be fine never listening to them ever again, but I still like them if that makes sense. Allies in fighting the good fight, and... nostalgia

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2021, 09:14:44 PM »
interesting opinion to have, at least you didn't say it was HTCE

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2021, 09:16:56 PM »

It was the intelligence of Bad Religion with the self-depreciating wit of NOFX, with a hard political slant that introduced me to a new way of interpreting things like the Oka standoff in Quebec, or detailed reasoning to my vague distrust of nationalism. It was fast, funny, and intellectually challenging.

That lasted until Potemkin, when they started exchanging humor for more serious an crafted lyrics, and got a bit darker with a move towards the speed metal of their youth.
Oka is still one of their best tracks imho. Even Todd from FYP/ Recess Records said that on a bonus podcast episode. Potemkin did get darker, but Todd's songs are a thing of beauty!
Did you not like Victory lap, seems they went a bit more back to their pop punk roots for that one?
« Last Edit: May 04, 2021, 11:02:15 PM by Gay Imp Sausage Metal »

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2021, 09:19:23 PM »
it was even worse in the 90s, so ironic that so many haters paid good money to see them!
"with your hands down my pants by transitive property" huh?
Even last time they toured Aus, some trolls went out of their way to make a fake vegan ice cream truck to try and "trap" them, who goes to that much effort?

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2021, 09:23:43 PM »

supporting caste is BEAST! night letters, the title track and without love (along with coaches corner and humane meat) are all top tier ghandi songs!

funny you mention "rock for sustainable", the whole "I rock back and forth, on this two bit hobby horse..." section always makes me think about skating and the industry actually. "if anyone out there understands, can I please see a show of hands?" so good!
Either way that track is SCATHING and perhaps the last time they ever wrote any songs about the “scene” ... I guess perhaps because they finally evolved beyond it?
Dear coaches corner could also be a song about skateboarding I reckon!
“We both love this pastime we can hardly fucking stand it!”
Who would we write to, Sinner? Nyjah?
« Last Edit: May 04, 2021, 11:05:15 PM by Gay Imp Sausage Metal »

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2021, 09:34:05 PM »
I was once reading a skate, surf, snowboard zine in Sydney called 'Blunt' that also had music reviews and it included HTCE.
I don't remember the whole thing, but the gist of it was, "sounds like a mix between ALL and NOFX, thanks to Fat Mike for putting these angry fuckers on your label".

A few weeks later I was out skating and ended up finding a $20 note on the ground, I walked into a totally random CD shop and miraculously they had a copy and after remembering the review I figured I’d take a gamble on it (it was exactly $20 too because fat was really pushing the whole affordable music thing)... I still remember the first time I heard it:

I put it on my parents stereo and somewhere during the first 3 tracks I was like (bear in mind I know nothing about music), "these punks really love Metallica huh, but wait, do they hate skaters?"

Haille comes on and I'm like, "should I even be listening to this?" but I'm already so hooked! The next day, I take it to school and me and my friends are instantly obsessed!! and the rest is history... the ISPY split is what really changed my whole way of thinking though, I’ll save that story for another time.

Haven't seen them live since 97 in Sydney, but I did follow them around to Canberra and other locations just so I could see them multiple times. Unfortunately, John had already left the band so I've never seen him play live (also missed the weakerthans when they came to Aus) :(

I have so many songs of theirs I love, but Supporting Caste is my current one — I went through a phase last month where I only listened to that song and that song only for like an entire week!
This live version with the alternative intro... oh man!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uH16PE-_Dlw
and the slow bit in the middle before that massive riff!!!
Fuck!!!
« Last Edit: May 05, 2021, 12:06:36 AM by Gay Imp Sausage Metal »

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2021, 09:41:13 PM »
I think I'd be fine never listening to them ever again, but I still like them if that makes sense. Allies in fighting the good fight, and... nostalgia
interesting take, did you give their new stuff a listen or was there a point where you were just like, nah I'm good?

igrindtwinkies

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 367
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2021, 12:17:43 AM »
In 2006 I was in 8th grade living in rural South Dakota.  A different skate forum was where I learned about music that wasn't shitty radio buttrock.  Someone on there made a thread about Potemkin coming out.  I had never heard of them, but was really into NOFX and the like at the time.  I ended up buying the cd on a whim the next time I happened to be at Best Buy and fell in love instantly.

The politics were intriguing to my young brain.  I also lived with family that are quasi famous for slaughtering animals and constantly had animal carcasses laying around in the winter time.  My dad was always bummed that I didn't enjoy his passion for trapping, whatever, I still love skateboarding. I've never been vegan or anything like that, but I think the vegan lyrics were kind of a fuck you to my family that I enjoyed.  I was already fairly liberal, but the politics of the music would make you an outsider living in the middle of nowhere.  For reference, 80 percent of my hometown voted for Trump.

I eventually ordered HTCE and LTMR off half.com and listened to it regularly.  Any CD I had at the time got spun obsessively.  I spent a good bit of time reading the liner notes to LTMR, which was pretty radical shit for the time, and especially for living in the middle of nowhere.  I eventually lost touch with the band though and didn't listen to them forever.

About a year and a half ago, I was pre-gaming with a rando before a descendents show and he was telling me about seeing them play where I live now(Sioux Falls, SD) in the early 2000's.  He said Chris talks about playing South Dakota and the plains region a bit in the Turned out a punk podcast episode he's on.  Also, being geographically ignorant, I had no idea Winnipeg is only 7 hours north of where I live(not that far in the plains).

As an adult, I think TETA is their best album, which is a bummer cause I never got to own that one as a kid.  I would love to get to see them at some point before they call it quits.  I've been listening to them quite a bit since, I think there is alot of intricacies to their music that I didn't notice as a kid listening on shitty headphones.

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2021, 03:58:34 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Oka is still one of their best tracks imho. Even Todd from FYP/ Recess Records said that on a bonus podcast episode. Potemkin did get darker, but Todd's songs are a thing of beauty!
Did you not like Victory lap, seems they went a bit more back to their pop punk roots for that one?

I like it all, but I haven’t had where I loved every song since Potemkin.

I grew up in a small Canadian town. The guys in Propagandhi grew up playing hockey and listening to metal, and hating snowboarders (as a kind of ‘punk jock’.

In my world, the metal heads were idiots, I couldn’t stand that shit. I tried to get as far away from it as a could, musically and aesthetically, and I got into hip-hop. Lines were drawn. Plus, I hated the jock fighting culture of hockey, and my hometown was a BIG hockey town.

So I’ve always been predisposed to dislike the type of music Propagandhi has been moving towards.

Having said that, I still respect the band for how much they taught me that I have bought everything they’ve put out. And I always find bits and songs I like musically on every record. Just not everything.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2021, 06:06:22 PM »
@cucktard
Fair enough, thrash metal was the only metal I’ve ever liked so maybe that’s why they resonate with me so well. As I said, even when I heard HTCE I was like, oh these guys love Metallica!
Been listening to victory lap this morning and agree with @igrindtwinkies that there’s so many intricacies in their music that you don’t always pick up on a surface level. Get the remastered version of failed states and chuck it on a good stereo with some quality headphones, shit it EPIC!!!
« Last Edit: May 05, 2021, 11:25:19 PM by Gay Imp Sausage Metal »

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2021, 01:21:13 AM »
I’ll see if I still have a digital version of an interview I did with them for my zine

Ok, here’s part of it

Me: So, you guys came back (to Japan) finally, after ten years. Why did you decide to finally make it back?
僕:10年後やっと(日本に)戻ってきましたね。今回はどうして来日することにきめたんですか?

Rod (Bass): Comeback kid was coming here and, and their manager asked us if we wanted to come and we thought… sounds good
ロッド:カムバック・キッドがここに来るという事で、彼らのマネージャーが僕たちに一緒に来ないかって聞いてきて、ああいいんじゃない、みたいな。

Me: Cause I had heard that NOFX had asked you on their last tour to come over with you guys, but…
僕:先の日本ツアーに、一緒に来ないかってNOFXから誘われたって聞きましたが。

Rod: Well, it seems like more fun than NOFX
ロッド:うん、(カムバック・キッドとツアーする方が)NOFXより面白そうだったから。

Me: How many times in Japan then is this for you?
僕:今回、日本は何回目ですか?

Jord (Drums): Our third time
ジョード:三回目。

Me: Next one, number 3. Just to get it out of the way, what interview question do you get asked the most? Or do you dread the most?
僕:次ぎは三つ目の質問。どうせだから、インタビューで一番よく聞かれる質問は何ですか?それと聞かれて一番嫌な質問は?

Jord: “Are you still on Fat?”
ジョード:「まだファット(レコード)にいるの?」

Todd: Or “How’s the tour goin’?” “Why are you so handsome?”
トッド:「ツアーはどんな感じ?」、「なんであなたはそんなにイケメンなんですか?」

Me: So today I think Earth Day is happening, like in Tokyo. And you guys, are obviously concerned about a lot of environmental things. I saw Chris last night has his…
僕:そういえば今日アースデーですけど、特に東京とかでは。(アースデーにまつわるイベンドやってるらしいけど?)皆さん、環境保全についてもちろん関心持ってますよね。
昨日クリスが・・・

Todd: Sea Shepherd Society…
トッド:シーシェパード・ソサエティー

Me: Sea Shepherd Society shirt, and he also had a little placard on his guitar there, do you know what that was about?
僕:そう シーシェパード・ソサエティーのT−シャツを着ていて、で、彼のギターにも小さなチラシ立ててあって。
あのチラシには何て?

Todd: Japanese hunting dolphins maybe?
トッド:日本のイルカ漁労についてかな?

Me: And you guys are all strict vegans. When was the last time a dead animal entered your pie-hole?
僕:で、皆さんベーガン(絶対菜食主義者)ですが、最後に死んだ動物を口にしたのはいつですか?

Jord: My pie-hole…

Todd: Uh, I ordered a vegetable samosa about 3 or 4 years ago, it had a fuckin’ flake of …
トッド:うーん、3−4年前ベジタブル・サモサをオーダーしたら、小さな・・・

Me: Meat in it?
僕;肉のかけらが入ってた?

Todd: Yeah. Hideous.
トッド:そう。気持ちワル。

Me: When did you first become though, vegan?
僕:ベーガンになってどの位になりますか?

Todd: Oh, um…like 1992 or something? 93?
トッド:うーん・・・多分’92年頃から? ’93年?

Jord: I think I started experimenting with vegetarian stuff when I was 19, would have been ’89. And then over the next few years I slowly progressed to become more strict with it.
ジョード:19歳の時ベジタリアニズムを試し始めて、だから’90年からだと思う。で、それから数年徐々にベーガンに近づいて行って。

Me: OK. And Beav, are you in on that too?
僕:ok, ビーヴもベーガンですか?

Beav (Guitar): Yeah.
ビーヴ:そう。

Me: How long?
僕:いつから?

Beav: I went vegetarian when I was 18, so around ’97, and vegan, not until I was 25, so that would be have been, 2004.
ビーヴ:18歳のときにベジタリアンになったから、’97年頃から。ベーガンになったのは25歳になってからだから、たぶん’04年からかな。

Me: OK. And this is for the Japanese kids that might have heard of anything about animal rights or vegetarianism, but what were some of your reasons for giving up meat?
僕:OK この質問は、ベジタリアニズムや動物保護について聞きかじった事がある日本の若い子たちの為に聞くんですけど、肉と食べないと決めた理由は何ですか?

Jord: I think for me uh, I read uh, ‘Diet for a Small Planet’, this book by Frances Moore Lappe which was really influential to me at the time. I think mainly out of moral concerns about not having anything against animals, was my first motivation. I had cats and dogs growing up an stuff like that, I wouldn’t eat them, so why would I want to eat a cow or… you know, anything else?
ジョード:僕は、うーん・・・フランシス・ムーア・ラップの”小さな惑星の緑の食卓”っていう本読んだ時、結構感化されて。やっぱり、一番は、倫理上動物保護に反する事はしたくないっていうのが最初の理由かな。子供の頃犬や猫を飼ってて、で、ペットは食べないなら何で牛やその他の家畜なら食べるのかって。

... for a bit of background, I started off with this because although Japanese people are just starting to hear about veganism and the effects of animal ag on the environment now (Japan is about 20-30 years late with global social trends), this interview was maybe 15 years ago, when the word was virtually unknown here. So I wanted to introduce the idea that punk bands have political messages (which in Japan, for the most part they don’t).
« Last Edit: May 07, 2021, 01:37:52 AM by cucktard »

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2021, 08:58:31 PM »
Good interview mate, I think you sent me some pics of it a while back, yeah very few Japanese punk bands have political messages and when I lived here in 2000 and said I was vegetarian, people looked at me like I had two heads (and belonged to some religious cult).

My friend worked at a university newspaper when they toured Australia and he got to interview them. He knew how much I loved them and so he let me tag along for the interview. GISM do you have any other questions for the band?
Stupidly, I asked them what other Fat bands they liked? Like why? I doubt they even listened to a single fat band at the time...

Will try and rank their albums over the next few days...
« Last Edit: May 11, 2021, 03:21:00 AM by Gay Imp Sausage Metal »

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2021, 06:35:12 AM »
TLDR/ fuck your essay version:

1.   Flag Burning/ ISPY 10" Split
2.   How to Clean Everything
3.   LTMR
3.   Supporting Caste
4.   LTMR
5.   Failed States
6.   Victory Lap
7.   Potemkin
8.   TETA

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2021, 06:39:15 AM »
ok so...

1.Flag burning/ ISPY 10"
I heard HTCE first, but this as a package just changed my whole fucking life. The raw production, the packaging, the linear notes, the ISPY tracks, the anger, this might be my fav album of all time, perfect in every sense. Put out by Todd of Recess records fame (also former pro skater/ ramp killer). The CD has a hidden track featuring an imaginary band called "last man on earth" consisting of Chris and Todd. The gangs all here for this one and if it had a John track on there then I would probably internally combust and ascend to the heavens.

2.HTCE
‘anti manifesto’ still takes me back to the first time I heard them and I think it's still a very relevant song for them. People these days love to hate on the vocals and sure there are a few tracks that could have been replaced towards the end, but this album put them on the fucking map. I could already hear their thrash influences despite people describing it as "typical fat sound". First 1/2 is so so solid! Leg hold trap should have made the cut, but Fat Mike thought John sounded like Kermit the frog! LOL He then admitted that the riffs were so hard on this album, that the whole (pop) punk scene was trying to play catch up for years after hearing this and that it also influenced punk in drublic musically!!!

34. LTMR
I guess I'm old fashioned when it comes to this band ... and I love John (and the weakerthans). If the 10" changed my whole outlook, this one solidified it! In and out, so fast and so polished. Fat Mike didn't want it to sound anything like the 10" which is a pity, because it is probably them at their most angry and also most direct in their message! Would love to hear a rawer version. They lost a lot of fans here and my mates thought that that was great; sort out the wheat and all that jazz! Interestingly the recent Brooklyn vegan retrospective mentioned that every track contains the lyrics "you" and "I". Chris and rest of them were defs pushing buttons and boundaries with this one! Can we talk about those John tracks too?

3.Supporting Caste
This is objectively one of their best albums, I just had 20+ years of nostalgia biases clouding my judgment. If I was new to the band, I would swear by this one!
Fault it, I dare you to!
Just the first two tracks alone, fucking hell! Chris has never let anyone else do vocals on one of their opening tracks but Todd fucking NAILS ‘night letters’. I’m not quiet about my love for ISPY and I felt a lot of Todd’s earlier tracks fell short when compared to that band’s output, but ‘night letters’ is THE track where I was like, “oh yeah, he’s still got it!” in a Mariano-esque type comeback. The title track ‘supporting caste’ too, man, is there a better ‘gandhi track? I’m partial to ‘Oka Everywhere’, but if I push my biases aside, this track is god-tier for them. The part after he whispers, “yes!”, the slow bridge part in the middle, that riff after, “you may as well DANCE!” Goosebumps every time!! And we’re only at track two!!! ‘Coaches corner’, ‘human(e) meat’, ‘the bangers embrace’
(someone could easily write a similar track about them, wait a band actually did write a sing about them: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jFDfmw1N4w),
‘without love’ (cue Bill Stevenson) and then ‘last will and testament’. The addition of the Beave (I love Giant Sons too) and the blasting room production just elevate this album tenfold! This really is them in their element and I lap up every single part with a shit-eating grin!!! I should probably bump this to number three on my list in all honesty!

5. Failed States
Wait, what’s this first track? the 'Gandhi always have epic openers, why are they playing so slow? Was my initial reaction, but then that riff kicks in a Chris chucks out one of his trademark grunts and you know shit is about to drop! I actually rated failed states higher than supporting caste but in hindsight supporting caste may have aged better?
Honestly, I can’t tell so I might have to tie them! Anyway, dat cover art!!! Done by Todd too!!! There’s a few tracks on there that are a tad “meh” for me (in terms of them as a band, even their meh tracks smoke most bands), but the opener, ‘Rattan Cane’ (Top 5 Todd song easily), ‘Status Update’ (riff much?), and ‘Duplicate Keys’: fuck THAT is how you do a closing track! For such a dark album, you wouldn’t expect it to end with the line, “the unifying principle of … this universe is love” (RIFF) but it ties in with themes they touched on in supporting caste and really shows just how much they’ve grown/ evolved as humans. They as a band will always leave the album on a high note (cept HTCE) and this track is perhaps my favorite closer of theirs which is a big call! (Zoochosis though!)

6. Victory Lap
Gets a lot of hate from fans, but I personally think it’s leagues above some of their other work and contains at least one god-tier (if not more) song! They lost the Beave and it also seems that they wanted to go back to their more pop-punk tinged hay days for this one (still thrashy, but it almost sounds “light” if you put it up against failed states) Again, they absolutely slay with the opening track “god are you there? It’s me in the demin Jacket” is such classic Chris humor. ‘Comply/ resist’ fucking SHREDS! ‘Lower Order’ (they didn’t include an animal rights track on failed states), on paper looks like it will be so hard, but it gives me painted thin/ weakerthans vibes hard. Do any of you out there like Painted Thin? I fucking love them and it seems like the music here is almost a homage to those 90s Winnipeg days/ sounds. The standouts track for me though are ‘Nigredo’ and ‘Adventures in Zoochosis’ though; man both of them are honestly just so beautiful and have made me cry multiple times.

7. Potemkin
They lost a lot of fans with this one (if they didn’t already with LTMR); it wasn’t TETA v2.0 and Chris’ vocals were as strained as could be, so much so that fans actually believed that they had gotten a new singer (Glen) who was trying his best to impersonate Chris LOL. When I first dropped the needle, I was like “meh” for most of the tracks but this one is a creeper and while cliché, this album needs to be played LOUD! ‘Speculative Fiction’ proves that theory, it’s actually really good through a massive sound system. The other two standout tracks on here are ‘Americas Army’ (My name is Mindy!) and Rock for Sustainable Capitalism, the latter being probably the most scathing attack anyone has written about the punk scene (and least since Back to the Motor league), man Chris really knows how to write ‘em, every lyric in that one is gold! It's cool that after that track he never talks about the punk scene again, he was just like, "I have now completely owned you, and I will move on...", marks a big shift for them because a lot of their earlier career was spent critiquing the punk scene!

I like ‘iteration’ too, but not sure if lives up to the rest of their closers. This album grows on you though and even in 2021, it still smokes a lot of bands and the lyrical content is still relevant. The Todd tracks are where he started to find his somewhat “mellow” groove and I think they figured out that they actually needed a bit of ying to their yang after TETA. John always balanced that aspect of the band out, but TETA was just heavy from start to finish and I think that’s maybe why I ranked it last (amongst other reasons)

8. Todays Empires, Tomorrow’s Ashes
Probably the only fan to rank it last. Not gunna lie, I missed John, I missed ISPY, the production is shit, there’s tonnes of filler tracks and it misses the mark for me in numerous sections.
Having said that, Mate Ka Moris Ukun Rasik An is god tier (and I suspect it was written when John was still around), fuck the border I had seen live prior to it being released and back to the motor league shat all over scene politics. I’ll write more later I think… something about it just doesn’t click for me, I think the best way I can describe it is being too one dimensional?.
It wasn’t even until fairly recently that I fully appreciated Purina Hall of Fame and it always puzzled me as to why so many would swear by that track. I think, as I mentioned above, it lacks balance; I often make this comparison, but John was like Chris’s Flavor Flav and without him it would be like if Chuck D teamed up with KRS-One; that sounds great on paper but in reality, it just wouldn’t be the public enemy we know and love.
I understand the need for the break, without it we would never have the weakerthans or John’s solo work, but he brought something so unique, so fragile and so personal the band. I would even say that after this album dropped they realized this lack of balance hence the slower/ more experimental Todd tracks and Chris' more personal and somewhat spiritual lyrics.
Of course this is the balls to wall approach they wanted with this one, but it lacks in my mind. They’ve found their feet again and nailed their current sound, but this is a transition album where I don’t think they are either here nor there … and because of that it will always see the least amount of time on my record player. Fight me! I will say the packing is one of the best since crass stopped dropping records though!

« Last Edit: September 22, 2021, 03:39:57 PM by Gray Imp Sausage Metal »

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2021, 06:57:57 AM »
I’m going to have to listen to them all again (in order) before I submit a report.

I have about 70% on vinyl, most of everything else in digital, but my copy of ‘I’d rather be flag burning’ is in Canada.

@Gay Imp Sausage Metal do you have a copy you could burn for me? And maybe the I-Spy album too if you have it here in Japan?

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2021, 02:10:25 AM »
I’m going to have to listen to them all again (in order) before I submit a report.

I have about 70% on vinyl, most of everything else in digital, but my copy of ‘I’d rather be flag burning’ is in Canada.

@Gay Imp Sausage Metal do you have a copy you could burn for me? And maybe the I-Spy album too if you have it here in Japan?
sounds like a plan mate, hit me up on insta (like a real man)

chris.

• Rep: 184
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2021, 04:33:29 AM »
HTCE and Less Talk had their time in my CD player as a teenager and then I largely forgot about these guys. I think what they are doing now is absolutely incredible though.  Supporting Caste and Failed States are remarkable. I like Victory Lap fine, but man those two records are special.

“It takes a village to raise a child, but just a flag to raze the children.” is a fucking perfect punk lyric.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2021, 05:35:27 PM »
↑ yes, supporting caste and failed states are masterpieces, have you heard the failed states remix? I really like the bonus tracks too, ‘the days you hate yourself’ is a really good Todd track!

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2021, 07:07:44 AM »
This was a really good episode for a really food song:
https://www.instagram.com/p/COyFQJ5jtwr/?utm_medium=copy_link

Just started digging into the Oka Everywhere ep., looks to be epic! It’s been my fav song of theirs for 20 some years now!

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2021, 08:37:33 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHPW2gTg7k0

currently my fav Todd song, has been for a good minute.
possibly the heaviest 'Gandhi track that exists?
Dat intro...
« Last Edit: June 27, 2021, 09:43:40 PM by Gay Imp Sausage Metal »

The real veganshawn

• Rep: 81
  • What the fuck was that
« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2021, 04:33:06 AM »
One of the best bands ever.
Cocteau Twins

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2021, 05:38:32 AM »
One of the best bands ever.
no arguments from me on this point!
What’s your fav album of theirs?

Doodily

• Rep: 5
« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2021, 06:13:11 AM »

‘anti manifesto’ still takes me back to the first time I heard them and I think it's still a very relevant song for them.

Same here. People keep talking about "less talk", but for me, "how to clean everything" is a classic. I will always remember seeing that album and NOFX's White Trash album advertised in a local surf NC zine and thinking "who the heck are these bands?" As soon as I got some cash, I went out and bought those albums and BAM ... punk rock fan for life.