Author Topic: The Official SLAP Propagandhi Thread  (Read 4470 times)

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 75
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
Re: The Official SLAP Propagandhi Thread
« Reply #30 on: June 28, 2021, 06:51:41 AM »
Expand Quote

‘anti manifesto’ still takes me back to the first time I heard them and I think it's still a very relevant song for them.
[close]

Same here. People keep talking about "less talk", but for me, "how to clean everything" is a classic. I will always remember seeing that album and NOFX's White Trash album advertised in a local surf NC zine and thinking "who the heck are these bands?" As soon as I got some cash, I went out and bought those albums and BAM ... punk rock fan for life.
I never ever skip anti manifesto when it comes on, it’s like a time machine to my youth!

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #31 on: July 17, 2021, 05:16:25 PM »

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 320
« Reply #32 on: July 17, 2021, 09:35:22 PM »
Me too. Vancouver show has my favorite newish punk band, Alien Boys opening for them. I’d hawk Wendy’s chicken nuggets with Bucky to get to see that show.
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #33 on: October 12, 2021, 07:15:26 PM »
Looks like they played Winnipeg over the weekend, anyone on here go?
Believe it or not, I was walking home from work last night and all of a sudden started to wonder about that TETA remix that was done at the blasting room and guess what was at the top of my feed when I woke up this morning?

https://www.instagram.com/p/CU8Ogvrv2ST/?utm_medium=copy_link

Snagged a colored vinyl copy!!!
(After Fat’s web store broke and wouldn’t ship to Japan)

Have A Nice Great

• Rep: 3
« Reply #34 on: November 03, 2021, 12:54:28 PM »
One of the greats.

During my kinder-punk exploration in middle school I would pick up cool looking used CDs at the flea market and snagged less talk and HTCE, which both hooked into my pubescent brain immediately and have stuck with me since. I was a huge blink 182 fan and really appreciated the silliness and pop sensibilities of HTCE mixed with the scathing commentary that I was probably too young to understand but certainly old enough to think was cool. I remember hearing “stick the fuckin flag…” for the first time and having a literal “CAN THEY SAY THAT??” moment while washing dishes at my parents house lol.

I used to upload the flea market CDs onto my Xbox 360 and listen to them nonstop while playing skate 2 and MW. some of those early propagandhi tunes still give me a weird Pavlovian response and take me back to playing call of duty as a teen. Kind of funny in hindsight considering the lyrical content of the records vs the literal military propaganda I was playing lol

I also distinctly remember opening up the Less Talk More Rock CD for the first time and seeing “pro feminist, animal friendly, anti fascist, gay positive” in a circle around the disc. I doubt I knew what feminism or fascism really were back when I was like 14, but by that point I definitely knew I was gay and it was really encouraging to see a band unabashedly support the gay community during a pretty confusing time in my life when I wasn’t quite sure where I fit in.

I saw them with Comeback Kid in 2009 in Buffalo. I couldn’t drive yet and the propagandhi show was on a Friday, and Godspeed You Black Emperor was playing the same venue the next night so my dad only let me go to one. I chose propagandhi and thought I would regret it for years because of how elusive and cryptic GYBE is, but I’ve seen Godspeed 5-6 times since and have yet to catch propagandhi again. Definitely don’t regret it now. Very sick show.

Anyway, they’re one of my favorite bands ever and it’s great to see them getting some love. I’ve kept up with all of the releases but fell off a bit when failed states came out. Still love em to death, but those first 5 records (pretty fucking good run if you ask me) hold a very special place in my musical awakening

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #35 on: November 03, 2021, 04:48:11 PM »
One of the greats.

During my kinder-punk exploration in middle school I would pick up cool looking used CDs at the flea market and snagged less talk and HTCE, which both hooked into my pubescent brain immediately and have stuck with me since. I was a huge blink 182 fan and really appreciated the silliness and pop sensibilities of HTCE mixed with the scathing commentary that I was probably too young to understand but certainly old enough to think was cool. I remember hearing “stick the fuckin flag…” for the first time and having a literal “CAN THEY SAY THAT??” moment while washing dishes at my parents house lol.

I used to upload the flea market CDs onto my Xbox 360 and listen to them nonstop while playing skate 2 and MW. some of those early propagandhi tunes still give me a weird Pavlovian response and take me back to playing call of duty as a teen. Kind of funny in hindsight considering the lyrical content of the records vs the literal military propaganda I was playing lol

I also distinctly remember opening up the Less Talk More Rock CD for the first time and seeing “pro feminist, animal friendly, anti fascist, gay positive” in a circle around the disc. I doubt I knew what feminism or fascism really were back when I was like 14, but by that point I definitely knew I was gay and it was really encouraging to see a band unabashedly support the gay community during a pretty confusing time in my life when I wasn’t quite sure where I fit in.

I saw them with Comeback Kid in 2009 in Buffalo. I couldn’t drive yet and the propagandhi show was on a Friday, and Godspeed You Black Emperor was playing the same venue the next night so my dad only let me go to one. I chose propagandhi and thought I would regret it for years because of how elusive and cryptic GYBE is, but I’ve seen Godspeed 5-6 times since and have yet to catch propagandhi again. Definitely don’t regret it now. Very sick show.

Anyway, they’re one of my favorite bands ever and it’s great to see them getting some love. I’ve kept up with all of the releases but fell off a bit when failed states came out. Still love em to death, but those first 5 records (pretty fucking good run if you ask me) hold a very special place in my musical awakening

yes! that's an awesome story and some really cool memories you have there, gotta love it when bands time warp you back to certain times in your life. I've listened to them constantly since the first day I heard them so I can always trace back to when I first heard certain songs/ albums.
I think failed states is up there as one of their best albums, but if you like that old skool 'Gandhi sound then check out victory lap; it defs harkens back to the LTMR era on a lot of tracks! Only a week until that TETA remix drops, so keen to hear how Mate Ka Moris Ukun Rasik An sounds!!! That track is god tier!!!!

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #36 on: November 09, 2021, 09:01:15 PM »
TETA remix in two days boys and gals!!!

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #37 on: November 10, 2021, 03:37:09 AM »
I’m not sure if I’ll grab the vinyl next time I go to Tokyo, but I’ll probably cop the download.

I don’t usually notice differences in ‘remastering’. But I listened to TETA so much, and just the tiny bit of ‘Back to the Motor League’ I hear sounded WAAAAY better

Edit- I lie. I just messaged my local record store to grab me a copy
« Last Edit: November 10, 2021, 04:26:55 AM by cucktard »

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #38 on: November 10, 2021, 08:35:11 PM »
Hahaha, you know you need the wax version cuck! I have the colored one incoming.
As mentioned up there, it's my least fav album of theirs despite the fact that I love some of the songs on there; I'm hoping this will change my mind on the other tracks! oh and 4 bonus tracks too
« Last Edit: November 27, 2021, 06:02:17 AM by Gray Imp Sausage Metal »

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #39 on: November 12, 2021, 05:04:05 PM »
Woah, this thing is EPIC!!!
The fuck the border demo is the version they were playing when the came to Australia in 97’
Sounds a lot more ISPY

The remixed tracks SMOKE! Me and my kids are  currently cleaning to Purina hall of fame

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #40 on: December 08, 2021, 10:08:49 PM »

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #41 on: December 09, 2021, 05:14:54 AM »
Still waiting for the local record store to get the vinyl I asked for.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #42 on: December 09, 2021, 06:06:05 AM »
Still waiting for the local record store to get the vinyl I asked for.
I’m still waiting on mine to arrive from fat! I will say that the remix changed my mine on a lot of songs and also breathed new life
Into songs I already loved! I don’t have a Musical background, nor do I ever really care about/ notice remixes, but this one is very distinct! It sounds so fresh even in 2021!
« Last Edit: January 08, 2022, 11:12:56 PM by Gray Imp Sausage Metal »

Frank Sobotka

• Rep: 76
  • We used to make shit in this country, build shit
« Reply #43 on: December 09, 2021, 06:26:28 AM »
How to Clean Everything is fucking ace.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #44 on: December 09, 2021, 06:57:30 AM »
How to Clean Everything is fucking ace.
I can’t fathom that there’s fans out there that don’t rate it! I guess they came in later or whatever, but at the time it was blowing almost everything else out of the water in terms of punk, which is crazy when you think about where they come from!

igrindtwinkies

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 367
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #45 on: January 08, 2022, 08:19:29 PM »
On a kick rn.  DM'd my local record store about getting a copy of TETA remaster for me.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #46 on: January 08, 2022, 11:08:11 PM »
On a kick rn.  DM'd my local record store about getting a copy of TETA remaster for me.
it will blow your fucking mind!
I know absolutely nothing about music/ production, but I can hear so many subtle differences with the remaster.

mattchew

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 355
« Reply #47 on: January 09, 2022, 07:48:30 AM »
A powerfully bad band. Like, impressively shitty.
P R E P A R E  T O  T I M E C O D E

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #48 on: January 10, 2022, 12:53:10 AM »

Well, that’s just leaving us hanging.

Why do you think so?

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #49 on: January 10, 2022, 01:23:35 AM »
I mean they certainly aren’t for everyone, but when you say shitty, what aspect of their output are you basing your judgment on?
Cuz lyrically and sonically they fucking shine, and unlike most of their former (I say former because they’ve outgrown their 90s skate punk brethren) peers they’ve evolved a shit tonne over the years !

@mattchew cmon mate, don’t leave us hanging…
« Last Edit: January 14, 2022, 07:06:41 AM by Gray Imp Sausage Metal »

mattchew

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #50 on: January 16, 2022, 07:24:32 AM »
It’s been over a decade since I last heard them (thankfully, lol) but anything remotely based in the world of pop punk, no matter how progressive/rad their politics/lyrics are, is so wack to me. I cannot get down with 50 year old Canadians singing about shit that sounds like it’s made by teens, it’s just so soft. And not that everything has to be “hard”, it’s just that they exist within the world of punk/hc but explicitly aren’t that, which results in them just sounding so lame to me.

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #51 on: January 16, 2022, 02:06:43 PM »
It’s been over a decade since I last heard them (thankfully, lol) but anything remotely based in the world of pop punk, no matter how progressive/rad their politics/lyrics are, is so wack to me. I cannot get down with 50 year old Canadians singing about shit that sounds like it’s made by teens, it’s just so soft. And not that everything has to be “hard”, it’s just that they exist within the world of punk/hc but explicitly aren’t that, which results in them just sounding so lame to me.

Except for maybe 3 songs really haven’t made pop punk since the 90’s.
They left that behind and went back to their prairie roots of thrash and metal.
https://youtu.be/3xva-cdBi8E

mattchew

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #52 on: January 17, 2022, 09:31:50 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Except for maybe 3 songs really haven’t made pop punk since the 90’s.
They left that behind and went back to their prairie roots of thrash and metal.
https://youtu.be/3xva-cdBi8E

Listened to the first 60 seconds of this track and when the vocals kick in it immediately makes me have to circle back to:

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #53 on: January 17, 2022, 03:43:04 PM »
I mean it’s clear that you don’t get them and that’s fine (I don’t “get” tonnes of bands that people absolutely froth over), but I would argue that if you haven’t listened to them in the last 10 years, then you aren’t in any position to judge them as a band; they’ve evolved their sound more in the last 10 years than since they started and they are by no means “soft”. If your initial criticism of them was in reference to a band like say pennywise or NOFX then yeah, I 100% agree — you shouldn’t be making the same music you made as a teen well into your 40s/ 50s but I maintain that the ‘Gandhi have long since evolved past 90s skate punk.

Try something off of failed states like this:
https://youtu.be/RHPW2gTg7k0
Again, I don’t think we’ll be able to change your mind here so I think we’ll just have to agree to disagree with this one!
« Last Edit: January 17, 2022, 06:12:39 PM by Gray Imp Sausage Metal »

mattchew

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #54 on: January 17, 2022, 04:07:55 PM »
Hearty LOL at not being able to “get” propagandhi. Also I’m not allowed to have an opinion about something after 10 years has passed? What? Weird.  Wack takes, wack band.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #55 on: January 17, 2022, 04:36:06 PM »
I used the word “get” because you’re still lumping them in the pop/ skate punk genre when it’s clear they’ve evolved beyond that.
They started in 1986-ish, if you don’t like their earlier/ snottier output, you’re hardly in the minority; there’s die hard fans out there that hate HTCE! There’s also people like @cucktard who don’t gel as much with their current thrashier/prog-inspired sound.

BUT their output over the last 10 years (specifically the albums supporting case and failed states) arguably outshine anything they ever put out in the 90s so if you were to make an informed criticism of their work, then (at least imho) you should be taking that output into account too. TLDR - you can’t simply judge a band while ignoring their most prolific era. If you did that with any other band that has been around for 3+ decades, their fans would have a field day with you!

As I said, it’s fine if you don’t like them and I hardly think we’re going to change your mind, but you came into band-specific thread and called said band “wack” and “powerfully bad” judging them only on content they put out in the 90s … what did you expect?
« Last Edit: January 25, 2022, 04:16:26 AM by Gray Imp Sausage Metal »

igrindtwinkies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 367
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #56 on: January 18, 2022, 03:00:34 PM »
Got my copy of Today's Empires, Tomorrow's ashes today.  First Propagandhi I own on vinyl.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #57 on: January 19, 2022, 05:19:21 AM »
Got my copy of Today's Empires, Tomorrow's ashes today.  First Propagandhi I own on vinyl.
good shit, are you blasting the fuck out of it?

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #58 on: February 14, 2022, 08:30:18 PM »
So this came on on Friday night on my way home and I'm not sure if it was because it's the remaster, but it just sounded so fucking massive and reminded me why I love John K Sanson era 'Gandhi!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yioTt2FBBmI

Maybe not common knowledge depending on your level of nerdiness, but greenest eyes was originally an acoustic John K Samson track from his demo mixed with an old Chris track called preamble. One of my mates wrote to G7 when they were first starting out and they sent him so much shit including said demo tape (along with two Propagandhi demo tapes) out of the kindness of their hearts.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OL_dMZGdgks
We rocked the shit out of that tape back in the day!!!
« Last Edit: February 15, 2022, 04:04:53 AM by Gray Imp Sausage Metal »

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #59 on: February 15, 2022, 05:13:48 AM »
I finally got the Todays Empires Tomorrows Ashes on vinyl, and yeah, they very noticeable tuned it up and it feels quite a bit more hectic, mostly because they brought Jord’s drums to the forefront.

It’s pretty gnarly now.