Author Topic: The Official SLAP Propagandhi Thread  (Read 4471 times)

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 75
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
Re: The Official SLAP Propagandhi Thread
« Reply #60 on: February 16, 2022, 05:03:07 AM »
I finally got the Todays Empires Tomorrows Ashes on vinyl, and yeah, they very noticeable tuned it up and it feels quite a bit more hectic, mostly because they brought Jord’s drums to the forefront.

It’s pretty gnarly now.
vocals are a lot crisper too and there’s little subtleties in the songs that you couldn’t hear in the OG versions.
I wish they release the demo tracks as a 7”, probably never going to happen.

Looks like they just announced London tour dates too! I HAVE to see them once again while they are still a band

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #61 on: March 02, 2022, 09:06:54 PM »
Listening to the night letters episode on the podcast. Hardest propagandhi song ever? Top 3 Todd songs for sure…

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #62 on: March 03, 2022, 09:54:53 PM »
Currently very jealous of anyone leaving remotely near Montreal:

https://www.instagram.com/p/Capm05Hp8_6/?utm_medium=copy_link

GR and Propagandhi on the same bill? Damn son…

igrindtwinkies

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 367
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #63 on: March 06, 2022, 04:37:51 PM »
I'm hoping they hit Minneapolis sometime soon.  I've been really wanting to see them live.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #64 on: March 08, 2022, 05:44:55 AM »
I'm hoping they hit Minneapolis sometime soon.  I've been really wanting to see them live.
I really need to see them at least once more in this lifetime!
I’ve been listening to supporting caste from start to finish lately, straight bangers!!!

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #65 on: July 06, 2022, 01:11:27 AM »
@JRF  you have been summoned:
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
https://youtu.be/O8LAodjW78k
I honestly never thought this track would still be as relevant as it was in 95…
[close]

These dudes and I-spy we’re the best thing to happen to music since music was invited. Pretty sure Rory from I-spy was the guitarist in swallowing shit after tod left I-spy to play bass for propagandhi…
[close]
See, I knew you had good taste! I even remember you wearing an ISPY shirt back in the day. Todd was in swallowing shit too no?
[close]

Yeah man! I had a picture in TWS I think, wearing that I-SPY shirt with the graphic of the solider standing over a dead girl from the cover of the split they did with propagandhi on recess records. I think Todd initially played guitar in swallowing shit, if I remember correctly. Todd’s a great bassist but he’s an even better guitarist. I saw I-spy live in a tiny ass little dive bar in Minot, North Dakota back in ‘95, one of the best live shows I’ve ever attended. If I had to pick  a favorite band of all time, it would be I-SPY. That split they did with propagandhi changed my life, it got me interested in playing guitar. Their album “perversity is spreading, it’s about time” is one of those albums that every single song on the album is fucking amazing!

Please check the link for the fuck the border episode from the propagandhi podcast below: it is basically Todd doing an oral history of ISPY, I think you’ll really dig it! (Split with propagandhi is also my fav thing to ever come out on wax)

I always loved the fact that you rocked that shirt, because I was heavily into them at the time and was surprised that not many skaters knew about them. People always harp on about HxCx but know nothing about ISPY which always baffles me… “oh yeah, you like earth crisis? That’s cool and all, but I motherfucking SPY son!!!”
Please feel free to nerd out about propagandhi adjacent bands in here too!

https://open.spotify.com/episode/3PJN0FwwS1FWWI4QZ9osKJ?si=PWOnrbsKSJWUhyJQnW9TNw
« Last Edit: July 06, 2022, 07:45:07 AM by Gray Imp Sausage Metal »

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #66 on: July 06, 2022, 01:21:58 AM »
So… I have a friend that loves punk and metal and for years I’ve been trying to convert him to propagandhi. He likes certain songs, but was never really fully on board with them!
He messaged me the other day and said he’s heavy into LTMR at the moment though and it got me so pumped that the penny finally dropped for him!
How good is it that they still play this in 2022?
https://youtube.com/watch?v=F993g-rYBXo&feature=youtu.be
« Last Edit: July 06, 2022, 01:51:57 AM by Gray Imp Sausage Metal »

JRF

• Rep: 145
« Reply #67 on: July 06, 2022, 10:30:47 PM »
@JRF  you have been summoned:
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
https://youtu.be/O8LAodjW78k
I honestly never thought this track would still be as relevant as it was in 95…
[close]

These dudes and I-spy we’re the best thing to happen to music since music was invited. Pretty sure Rory from I-spy was the guitarist in swallowing shit after tod left I-spy to play bass for propagandhi…
[close]
See, I knew you had good taste! I even remember you wearing an ISPY shirt back in the day. Todd was in swallowing shit too no?
[close]

Yeah man! I had a picture in TWS I think, wearing that I-SPY shirt with the graphic of the solider standing over a dead girl from the cover of the split they did with propagandhi on recess records. I think Todd initially played guitar in swallowing shit, if I remember correctly. Todd’s a great bassist but he’s an even better guitarist. I saw I-spy live in a tiny ass little dive bar in Minot, North Dakota back in ‘95, one of the best live shows I’ve ever attended. If I had to pick  a favorite band of all time, it would be I-SPY. That split they did with propagandhi changed my life, it got me interested in playing guitar. Their album “perversity is spreading, it’s about time” is one of those albums that every single song on the album is fucking amazing!
[close]

Please check the link for the fuck the border episode from the propagandhi podcast below: it is basically Todd doing an oral history of ISPY, I think you’ll really dig it! (Split with propagandhi is also my fav thing to ever come out on wax)

I always loved the fact that you rocked that shirt, because I was heavily into them at the time and was surprised that not many skaters knew about them. People always harp on about HxCx but know nothing about ISPY which always baffles me… “oh yeah, you like earth crisis? That’s cool and all, but I motherfucking SPY son!!!”
Please feel free to nerd out about propagandhi adjacent bands in here too!

https://open.spotify.com/episode/3PJN0FwwS1FWWI4QZ9osKJ?si=PWOnrbsKSJWUhyJQnW9TNw

Fucking awesome! Thanks man! I’ll definitely have to listen to this tonight. My 2 favorite bands (I-spy/propagandhi) those two bands change my life drastically. I don’t know what I would’ve happened if I was never exposed to both of these bands! When Todd joined propagandhi I was stoked, but I also knew it would be the end to I-spy but that also meant that propagandhi’s song writing would change for the better. I wasn’t a huge fan of the “less talk more rock” album, lyrics wise it was amazing but instrumentally it was a little too soft imo. I hope there will be an I-spy reunion tour some day! Like I said before, that I-spy/propagandhi split album is the soul reason that I started playing guitar.
//////////

JRF

« Reply #68 on: July 06, 2022, 10:32:48 PM »
I had the privilege of attending this show, it was mind blowing to say the least

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Kau_Ffg5UFI
//////////

JRF

« Reply #69 on: July 06, 2022, 11:39:10 PM »
Also worth mentioning.I tried to use I-spy and propagandhi songs for my video parts on a couple of occasions. My part in the globe video was actually first edited to the propagandhi “with friends like these, who the fuck needs cointel pro” and it actually came out pretty decent for how I wanted the part to be. But globe wasn’t having it and so they picked the other song that they used and I had no say in the matter. And I absolutely hated the song they use instead for my part, I was super bummed on that and super embarrassed at the video premiere when my part came on. I used the song “showdown G.E.P” for one of my Powell video parts, but it was far too short of a part and it didn’t really work good for that part. I’m phsyched on that link you posted, it’s going to be a good listen for when I go to bed.
//////////

JRF

« Reply #70 on: July 07, 2022, 10:37:42 PM »
So… I have a friend that loves punk and metal and for years I’ve been trying to convert him to propagandhi. He likes certain songs, but was never really fully on board with them!
He messaged me the other day and said he’s heavy into LTMR at the moment though and it got me so pumped that the penny finally dropped for him!
How good is it that they still play this in 2022?
https://youtube.com/watch?v=F993g-rYBXo&feature=youtu.be

I stumbled on this new remix propagandhi did of hallie sellases and found it to be a pretty interesting new rendition

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1iLEj4T-vN8

Pretty good take on “new atheism” since becoming  more of a weird ass racist religion instead of the fundamental belief that god does not exist…Like Sam Harris’ absurd beliefs that there’s some sort of spiritual belief to atheism.

Also, the very first version of “and we thought the nation states were a bad idea” from the split with I spy is by far the best version of that song by far in my opinion, the way Chris sings the lyrics in that version just seems so much better and raw than the other two version from the LTMR album and the other version from one of the fat wreck chords compilation.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2022, 10:53:56 PM by JRF »
//////////

JRF

« Reply #71 on: July 07, 2022, 11:20:25 PM »
Less Talk, More Rock is their only good album

2nd least favorite album. (Just my personal opinion of course)

My list from favorite to least favorite

1. I’d rather be flag burning/ I-spy split
2.how to clean everything (the first album I heard by them) and the fact that Chris recorded all the guitar tracks on a shitty krate practice amp and a Korean made cheap ass Jackson dinky)
3.todays empires (especially once the remastered the album)
4.supporting caste (mostly because of the title track is fucking amazing)
5. Victory lap (I didn’t think I’d put this album this high on the list, but some of the lyrics are just so witty and well thought out, I.E the lyric about the free market fundamentalist and the sarcastic tounge and cheek mention of Ayn rand and the invisible hand is pure genius.
6. Potemkin city limits (because, in my opinion this album is what less talk more rock could’ve been if they weren’t so jaded when they recorded “less talk”
7.less talk more rock. Great lyrics and the fact that they made that album for themselves, not giving a shit about how it would be received and the chance it could sort of sink there popularity since a lot of their fans at the time didn’t actually listen to what they were singing  about, it’s just that I didn’t find the guitar playing all that special and wasn’t a big fan of the production difference between that album and how to clean everything.
8. Failed states, my least favorite, not that it’s a bad album but it just didn’t really stand out to me, the guitar and bass riffs are some of if not there best work technically, but I just didn’t really like the songs as a whole, sort of the opposite of less talk, let bed the music but the lyrics were sort of lack luster imo.

That’s it besides “where quality” and “where quantity” albums, along with the “recovered EP” and a few more I forgetting. But that’s my list and my favorite to least favorite even though they’re all amazing in their own way.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2022, 11:31:39 PM by JRF »
//////////

JRF

« Reply #72 on: July 07, 2022, 11:39:53 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Less Talk, More Rock is their only good album
[close]
I back this, I think their cover of Cheap Trick was absolute trash of how to clean everything.

They've had a weird following early 2000's albeit militant queer friendly but have caused fighting at show's. Maybe sussing out Nazi's? Street beefs? Jealous lover's? Who really knows the story idk.....

I would love to see them but I'm not in to show's with meathead tough guy's.
[close]
where on earth did you see them? i saw them on a weeknight, stood fairly close to the stage and i don’t think i was even prompted to involuntarily move my feet while they played.

i lean supporting caste as my favorite album and in the talk of potempkin i posit that “rock for sustainable capitalism” is one of the all-time great diss tracks.

“this year’s vans warped tour is going green, i guess they heard that money grows on trees. i hope they shit those shitty bands overseas like the did the factories” juvenile, mean and an adult criticism of their business practices. perfection.

I love the line “excuse me as I laugh in your face as I itemize your receipts and power point your balance sheets!”
//////////

JRF

« Reply #73 on: July 08, 2022, 12:42:13 AM »
@cucktard
Fair enough, thrash metal was the only metal I’ve ever liked so maybe that’s why they resonate with me so well. As I said, even when I heard HTCE I was like, oh these guys love Metallica!
Been listening to victory lap this morning and agree with @igrindtwinkies that there’s so many intricacies in their music that you don’t always pick up on a surface level. Get the remastered version of failed states and chuck it on a good stereo with some quality headphones, shit it EPIC!!!

The “by the way I stole this riff” is from the song “and justice for all” off the album “and justice for all” so, I think it’s safe to say that Chris Hannah was a Metallica fan Haha! Well, at least a fan of hetfield’s guitar riffs. You can here a lot of celtic frost, venom, king diamond, exodus and early mercyful fate guitar riff influence on the “how to clean everything” album. I started really getting into guitar playing by learning most of the riffs off of “HTCE”, good riddance’s album “for god and country” and the 1 or 2 I-spy songs I could somewhat figure out of the prop/I-spy split and after a few years I started figuring out different songs from different old school metal bands (metal bands I really didn’t care that much for but liked some of the guitar riffs) and I realized that a lot of the scales, pick attack and note patterns were a lot like certain propagandhi riffs. That’s another good album though “for god and country” by good riddance, I never really cared for any of their other albums but that one is pretty fucking good imo.
//////////

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #74 on: July 08, 2022, 01:59:27 AM »
@JRF I'm glad you're a massive propgandhi nerd like myself.  I agree that the split with ISPY is such an important record, it captured both bands' anger so well!
Epic that you were at that ISPY show! I wish I could have seen them, closest I got was when Todd first joined propgandhi and they were playing early versions of fuck the border. Imagine seeing swallowing shit live? :O

Okay, it looks like you are the only pro to ever use a 'Gandhi track which is so cool! I'd never seen that part of yours but I just looked it up!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIVwCYeEWVE
That's cool that most of it was John's section too, those guys that make the propagandhi podcast hated on showdown early on in their episodes and I was absolutely mindblown how, as fans, they could hate on that track... they still do a good job, but came into the game late as fans! They also didn't know that greenest eyes was off of John's demo and that preamble was another song entirely, what I will say is that they are happy to correct their mistakes which I have to give them credit for.
Bummer you couldn't use cointel for your globe part...

Early versions of nation states are better, there's another 2 or 3 versions floating around on various fat comps, but as I , and you, said above: flag burning captured their (and ISPY's) true essence and anger. Would have been interesting to hear the LTMR tracks with a different (angrier) production. LTMR is so squeaky and polished, but the content is defs them at their most angry (or maybe PCL is?)!

Thanks for ranking their albums too, good to see other opinions. Victory Lap doesn't get enough love, it was ranked low on mine, it shouldn't be. The opening track, negredo and zoochosis fucking destroy!!!!

Glad you back supporting caste mostly because of that track alone, 1 of their top 3 songs for me of all time! Supporting Caste smokes as a record though, night letters, without love, last will and testament... fucking hell!

Okay, woah, failed states is low for you, have you heard the remaster? Sounds a lot better. I used to jog to that album and it really hit me listening to it through earphones I think. Also, this bonus track has heavy heavy ISPY vibes imho:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ht7bGDZmVo
That part where the riff slows down OMG
Rattan Cane may be their heaviest track too? (although night letters fucking PUMPS)
I get you though, even your least fav is still only your least fav propagandhi album so it's still amazing right?
When I initially reviewed Failed States, I mentioned that I tended to like parts of songs, as opposed to the whole track. I've since changed my opinion, but yeah, some tracks kinda fall short as a whole when comparing them to the standout tracks.

Good riddance are good (duh), I've always dug them. Ballads from the Revolution is like their LTMR and Operation Phoenix is their harder/ darker album. Check them out when you've got a minute ... (but yeah, lets keep this thread for Propagandhi and Winnipeg only bands, cuz I want to nerd out to the max!)
« Last Edit: July 08, 2022, 02:32:35 AM by Gray Imp Sausage Metal »

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 320
« Reply #75 on: July 08, 2022, 02:16:26 AM »
My CDs are back in Canada, at my sister’s place. I really want my I-Spy ‘Perversity is Spreading’ CD, but my mom is telling me not to bother my sis to look for CDs, she’s way to busy.

But sorry mom, I’m not asking you ‘Yeah, can you find the CD with kids shitting on Pope John Paul II’s head?”

Hopefully my sis can grab that, the I-Spy Propagandhi split (my first Propagandhi CD), and the AK Press ‘Better Read than Dead’ CDs.

I’ve finally got a modern computer and am able to download my Propagandhi discography to my iPhone, so I’ll give all the albums a good listen on my drives to the skatepark and do a proper review.

At the moment, Potemkin had moved to #1
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #76 on: July 08, 2022, 02:37:48 AM »
@cucktard we are waiting!
I actually have better read than dead on vinyl, such an important comp for me back in the day!
Potemkin, I will say, has aged really well in terms of their discography and is still very relevant. I don’t need a remaster, but I’d like to hear it with 2 guitarists and Chris’s voice not being so strained … I have the G7 press of it too btw!

Speaking of G7, I’m kinda maybe thinking of trying to collect everything they ever put out, even all the spoken word stuff, not in a hurry, but that label dropped some bangers!

Edit:
For shits and giggles, I’m also going to try and narrow down my fav 10 ‘Ghandhi tracks across their whole discog, because I always make stupid claims like “top 5 tracks of all time for them” when in reality it’s probably like somewhere in the top 50…
« Last Edit: July 08, 2022, 04:07:44 AM by Gray Imp Sausage Metal »

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #77 on: July 08, 2022, 04:06:33 AM »
So Propagandhi-adjacent…

The G7 Welcoming Committee label (and subsequent podcast) were both amazing.

So with the G7 bands, I’ve got some

Randy
Weakerthans
I-Spy
Mico
Rhythm Activism
Submission Hold
Warsaw Pack
And finally the Rebel Spell

I saw the last band on tour with Propagandhi the last time I saw them in western Canada. Blew me away the first night, was singing along to them the second. Amazing band with great political lyrics, but unfortunately the lead singer died in a rock climbing accident.

The guitarist started a new band in Vancouver called Alien Boys, which is my current favorite punk band.

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #78 on: July 08, 2022, 05:36:06 AM »
Warsaw pack and Mico are great, never really got into Randy, but I’m randy curious lol
First ever G7 release is the painted thin split with John K Samson CD. Painted thin are one of my favorite bands even in 2022. Also like the first intl. noise conspiracy record, Hiretsukan, Greg McPherson and But Alive…
Swallowing shit anthology made me a grind core fan though and is my fav G7 release bar maybe perversity is spreading and the above mentioned painted thin/ John k split (this was released before they were really officially a label though) oh what about giant sons though?
You all know this track right?
https://youtu.be/eBB0ZhHcdvk
« Last Edit: July 08, 2022, 07:45:43 AM by Gray Imp Sausage Metal »

JRF

« Reply #79 on: July 08, 2022, 07:19:31 AM »
@JRF I'm glad you're a massive propgandhi nerd like myself.  I agree that the split with ISPY is such an important record, it captured both bands' anger so well!
Epic that you were at that ISPY show! I wish I could have seen them, closest I got was when Todd first joined propgandhi and they were playing early versions of fuck the border. Imagine seeing swallowing shit live? :O

Okay, it looks like you are the only pro to ever use a 'Gandhi track which is so cool! I'd never seen that part of yours but I just looked it up!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIVwCYeEWVE
That's cool that most of it was John's section too, those guys that make the propagandhi podcast hated on showdown early on in their episodes and I was absolutely mindblown how, as fans, they could hate on that track... they still do a good job, but came into the game late as fans! They also didn't know that greenest eyes was off of John's demo and that preamble was another song entirely, what I will say is that they are happy to correct their mistakes which I have to give them credit for.
Bummer you couldn't use cointel for your globe part...

Early versions of nation states are better, there's another 2 or 3 versions floating around on various fat comps, but as I , and you, said above: flag burning captured their (and ISPY's) true essence and anger. Would have been interesting to hear the LTMR tracks with a different (angrier) production. LTMR is so squeaky and polished, but the content is defs them at their most angry (or maybe PCL is?)!

Thanks for ranking their albums too, good to see other opinions. Victory Lap doesn't get enough love, it was ranked low on mine, it shouldn't be. The opening track, negredo and zoochosis fucking destroy!!!!

Glad you back supporting caste mostly because of that track alone, 1 of their top 3 songs for me of all time! Supporting Caste smokes as a record though, night letters, without love, last will and testament... fucking hell!

Okay, woah, failed states is low for you, have you heard the remaster? Sounds a lot better. I used to jog to that album and it really hit me listening to it through earphones I think. Also, this bonus track has heavy heavy ISPY vibes imho:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ht7bGDZmVo
That part where the riff slows down OMG
Rattan Cane may be their heaviest track too? (although night letters fucking PUMPS)
I get you though, even your least fav is still only your least fav propagandhi album so it's still amazing right?
When I initially reviewed Failed States, I mentioned that I tended to like parts of songs, as opposed to the whole track. I've since changed my opinion, but yeah, some tracks kinda fall short as a whole when comparing them to the standout tracks.

Good riddance are good (duh), I've always dug them. Ballads from the Revolution is like their LTMR and Operation Phoenix is their harder/ darker album. Check them out when you've got a minute ... (but yeah, lets keep this thread for Propagandhi and Winnipeg only bands, cuz I want to nerd out to the max!)

Haha! Yeah man, I could nerd out on prop and I-spy until the end of time! As far a the album “failed states” goes, it’s not really my least favorite, it’s just hard to actually put any of their albums as “least favorite” honestly, instrumental wise, failed states is one of my favorites, the guitar riffs and time signatures are ver reminiscent of I-spy IMO, I think it’s just that I never got to much into the album because at the time when it came out I was listening to a couple other bands that had my undivided attention, around that time I was listening to the album “ire works” by “the Dillinger escape plan because I really liked dillingers first album “calculating infinity” but then I didn’t really like any of their material after that until ire works came out. I was also listening to a couple other avant-garde math metal bands like “the tony danza tap dance extravaganza” and I was really into the first protest the hero album, so I just didn’t listen to failed states as much when it came out, I really just need to give it a good listen for a few weeks straight and I’m sure I’d end up ranking it higher, but it’s really hard to rank propagandhi albums to begin with because they all have something different that makes each one pretty much a number one favorite, the only album of theirs that I was sort of disappointed with but still love is “less talk” but that just because when it came out I was expecting it to be a lot like HTCE, there’s a demo EP that they did for less talk before it came out, the EP was called “yup” and it was a few of the less talk songs that were done much more in the style of HTCE, they had a different version of the song “nailing desecrates to the wall” with different lyrics sort of like the version that’s on “where quantity is Job1” but it was a faster version with the lyrics in a higher pitch HTCE vocal style, and there was another song that was also on where quantity is job1” “the contest song and it was faster with more thrash distorted guitar tone” and a couple other rough drafts of less talk songs, the lyrics as a whole on less talk are amazing but the music itself was far more basic than HTCE was, but again it’s still a great album but once today’s empire’s came out I kind of forgot about less talk because todays empires really had that I-spy influence to it (obviously thanks to Todd joining the band. Anyway. I do need to listen to failed states again, when failed states came out their live performance got even better so there’s definitely a lot there that’s important to their discography.. I could nerd out on propagandhi for days, the way Chris Hannah sings and plays guitar solos at the same time is fucking ridiculous! It’s insane that he can use a guitar capo and still sound heavy riffing with the capo locked 5 frets up the neck making the guitar 4 steps higher registers than standard E tunning, The songs todd wrote and sang on both Potemkin and victory lap are fucking amazing. I could go on for days. I used showdown for that video part because it was the first propagandhi I learned how to play legitimately on the guitar. That’s another thing about their music, I was able to learn how to play the guitar on all of the HTCE album, all of less talk, I couldn’t figure out much of any of the songs on todays empires, was able to figure out close to everything on Potemkin, figured out a few of the more technical songs on supporting caste, really nothing from failed states and I haven’t really tried to learn much of victory lap because just listening to it I can tell that it’ll be really frustrating to figure out. Propagandhi os really the only band I listen to that I take the effort to figure out how to play the songs, most other bands I like I’m never really interested in trying to learn how to play the guitar on their albums because I don’t really like learning other band’s songs but with propagandhi im always so intrigued to figure out the guitar riffs. I have quite a few of their guitar tab books and the tab books make it even harder to figure out how to play a lot of their songs because you find out real quick with propagandhi that you can emulate the right chords, riffs and single notes to sound like you’re playing wxactly like Chris does but then you look at the sheet music and realize how much more full some of the chord progressions are and all these subtle added notes here and there, two good examples of that are the songs “the flensing of sandre kaetz” and “hate myth muscle etiquette”. It’s just so intriguing that it just compels me to learn how to play as many of their songs as I possibly can. And like I was saying, I don’t really do that with other bands I listen to because usually, I’d rather just be influenced by a band I like and write my own riffs with subtle influences from other bands I like. But it’s totally different when it comes to propagandhi. , chris Hannah is by far my favorite guitar player of all time for sure people underestimate his ability and the way that he adds different chord progressions from different music styles. It’s also really impressive how much time they put into producing a new set of songs for a new album, they only release a new album every 5 to 6 years… so you know that when they do release a new album they have spent so much time on composing the songs
//////////

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #80 on: July 08, 2022, 07:51:35 AM »
Hahaha @JRF you're as obsessed as I am! Revisit the remix of failed states!
I know what you’re saying though, victory lap was so low for me and yet it’s an epic epic album!

I know absolute nothing about playing music, but through the podcast I’ve learned a few things and apparently chris has no formal training and thus can’t write music, he can only shred, you seen this?
https://youtu.be/fs272bP3jgQ
You see when the beave fucks up and Chris can pick it up straight away but can only explain to him by playing it. Status update has the most fuct riffs ever!!!you’re right about the intricacies too, most don’t pick them up but if you watch cover vids, you see all the extra little bits of flair that maybe your ears don’t initially pick up!

Apparently beave is an amazing guitar player too, but needed more than a month of playing with Todd everyday just to learn how to play:
https://youtu.be/udOnrbgpoGQ
I think they might be Todd riffs, but of course Chris can nail them with all the weird time changes etc. right off the batt because he’s absolute wizard!
Speaking of night letters, this guy is like half Jord’s age and is still puffing at the end of the one song:
https://youtu.be/XP6Y_gPVwqs
Jord is also a beast and one of the most underrated drummers in punk/ metal!
« Last Edit: July 08, 2022, 08:08:36 AM by Gray Imp Sausage Metal »

JRF

« Reply #81 on: July 08, 2022, 02:46:02 PM »
Hahaha @JRF you're as obsessed as I am! Revisit the remix of failed states!
I know what you’re saying though, victory lap was so low for me and yet it’s an epic epic album!

I know absolute nothing about playing music, but through the podcast I’ve learned a few things and apparently chris has no formal training and thus can’t write music, he can only shred, you seen this?
https://youtu.be/fs272bP3jgQ
You see when the beave fucks up and Chris can pick it up straight away but can only explain to him by playing it. Status update has the most fuct riffs ever!!!you’re right about the intricacies too, most don’t pick them up but if you watch cover vids, you see all the extra little bits of flair that maybe your ears don’t initially pick up!

Apparently beave is an amazing guitar player too, but needed more than a month of playing with Todd everyday just to learn how to play:
https://youtu.be/udOnrbgpoGQ
I think they might be Todd riffs, but of course Chris can nail them with all the weird time changes etc. right off the batt because he’s absolute wizard!
Speaking of night letters, this guy is like half Jord’s age and is still puffing at the end of the one song:
https://youtu.be/XP6Y_gPVwqs
Jord is also a beast and one of the most underrated drummers in punk/ metal!

That “status update” practice is fucking crazy! What Chris is playing and singing at the same time is mind boggling! On the album Potemkin city limits, during the song “die juden marschiert” the part where Chris sings the lyrics “this virtual training course, this portal, this Trojan horse, you living idiots paid for and you actually help rolled into your own kids rooms” the singing and guitar soloing at the same time during that part is seriously fucked off! So ridiculous. Comply/resist is another example of his skills of playing and singing together. Most of the songs that Todd sings the guitar tracks are written and also usually recorded by Todd. Todd is just as amazing as Chris on guitar, he’s an awesome bassist too but sometimes I wish they could get a different bassist and have Todd play guitar too with Chris. But the beaver was also an amazing guitarist and sulynn is really amazing, she’s also a lot more versatile in different styles and genres of guitar playing and she’s. Honestly probably a far more well rounded guitarist than Chris or todd, she really brought an amazing layer to the guitar tracks just like David guiles did when he was in the band.
//////////

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #82 on: July 08, 2022, 07:51:26 PM »
So, do you guys subscribe to Chris’ Patreon?

Every once in a while he’ll cover one song from the catalog. For about half the podcast he’ll talk about the history, events, people, and ideas that shaped it, and the second half he’ll do a deep dive into the writing, recording, production, and sometimes play demos and variations of the song.

And every once in a while, he’ll talk about some kind of life-altering experience he had, which helps to give a fuller picture of who this amazing human is.

Get on it if you haven’t already.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #83 on: July 08, 2022, 07:52:31 PM »
Okay, so I started thinking about top 10 songs, but I need some self-imposed criteria to really make it interesting/ un-biased. Currently brainstorming these with the propgandhi pod peeps:

1. You must choose one song from each album (for convenience sake you can just class the quality 2x 7” and flag burning as quantity, so 8 albums in total.
2. You must choose at least one John K song, or at least one song where you can hear him audibly on backups I.e. the state lottery)
3. You must choose at least one Todd song (duh).
4. One track from each release means you’ll cover beave and sullyn eras.
5. You can only choose a maximum of 4 opening tracks.
6. You can only choose a maximum of 4 closing tracks
7. No more than 3 songs off any one album.

Bonus points if you can include a cover, alternative/ live/ demo version or a deep cut (e.g. pigs will pay, Oka everywhere acoustic)

*PC fascist/ nailing Descartes is a single track, no arguments

Would appreciate feedback/ ideas!

@cucktard i haven’t but I so need to, just need to find the time because I spend so much time just listening to their tracks tbh
« Last Edit: July 08, 2022, 11:05:27 PM by Gray Imp Sausage Metal »

JRF

« Reply #84 on: July 08, 2022, 10:21:07 PM »
Okay, so I started thinking about top 10 songs, but I need some self-imposed criteria to really make it interesting/ un-biased. Currently brainstorming these with the propgandhi pod peeps:

1. You must choose one song from each album (for convenience sake you can just class the quality 2x 7” and flag burning as quantity, so 8 albums in total.
2. You must choose at least one John K song, or at least one song where you can hear him audibly on backups I.e. the state lottery)
3. You must choose at least one Todd song (duh).
4. One track from each release means you’ll cover beave and sullyn eras.
5. You can only choose a maximum of 4 opening tracks.
6. You can only choose a maximum of 4 closing tracks
7. No more than 3 songs off any one album.

Bonus points if you can include a cover, alternative/ live/ demo version or a deep cut (e.g. pigs will pay)

*PC fascist/ nailing Descartes is a single track, no arguments

Would appreciate feedback/ ideas!

@cucktard i haven’t but I so need to, just need to find the time because I spend so much time just listening to their tracks tbh

Ahhhh! I like this, I’m on the last grueling hour and a half shift at my work and this post/questionnaire is a flat out awesome idea!

1. So let’s see, for number one I’ll just list 8 from said albums..here it goes
1. “I’d like to see what happened at OKA happen everywhere” (I think I got the title name right)
2. Hate/myth/muscle/etiquette (the last lyric verse and the “yup” is just so amazing”
3.nailing desecrates to the wall (the drums beat, the heavy guitar chugging and the conviction in Chris’ voice when he sings the line “meat is still murder, dairy is still rape!” Is the most emotional and powerful song verse imo, it gave me chills when I first heard it.
4.with friends like these, who the fuck needs cointel pro? Chris actually sings the FBI’s mission statement for operation cointel pro as a whole, look it up online on the fbi database and you’ll see just how brilliant the lyrics are for that song
5.this is a tough one and it’s probably a tie between “the bringer of greater things” and “iteration” I don’t think I can pick a favorite between those two.
6. Supporting caste the guitar riff that’s played and then the short pause then Chris whispers “yessss” is just fucking awesome
7.with the album failed states I’m not all that familiar with it so I’d have to say that my favorite for now would be the track “the things I like”
8.resist/comply just an amazing song that really addresses the current problem with police profiling and the majority race’s condescending compliments towards minorities and patronizing arguments towards the violent atrocities that were bestowed on America’s indigenous people. And sullyn’s rhythm guitar layer over Chris’ leads.

So this is part one, I’ll continue with part two later. And again, I really like this idea you came up with, being the propagandhi super nerd that I am!
//////////

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #85 on: July 09, 2022, 04:55:19 AM »
Nice, that was quick, I have a first draft but still might edit some rules/ conditions …
Props for Oka @ #1, been my fav track forever too. Hate, myth muscle is underrated too!
Nailing changed my world, I was never the same after that track, possible the most powerful animal rights song ever written!
How do you like the demo of cointel on the reissue? Tbh I never meshed with the original, but the demo is fire!
If you chose bringer of greater things, that’s at least one Todd song out of the way ;)
Supporting caste will be in my top 3, YES to the part after he whispers “yes” goosebumps, also the stadium riff after “you may as well DANCE”!!!
Comply/ resist is another banger, I’m very partial to the opening track, but I’m already at my opening track quota and aren’t sure what I’m going to do about night letters…
You have two more tracks to go and you need a John K song!
« Last Edit: July 10, 2022, 01:56:23 AM by Gray Imp Sausage Metal »

JRF

« Reply #86 on: July 10, 2022, 01:36:27 AM »
Nice, that was quick, I have a first draft but still might edit some rules/ conditions …
Props for Oka @ #1, been my fav track forever too. Hate, myth muscle is underrated too!
Nailing changed my world, I was never the same after that track, possible the most powerful animal rights song ever written!
How do you like the demo of cointel on the reissue? Tbh I never meshed with the original, but the demo is fire!
If you chose bringer of greater things, that’s at least one Todd song out of the way ;)
Supporting caste will be in my top 3, YES to the part after he whispers “yes” goosebumps, also the stadium riff after “you may as well DANCE”!!!
Conor/ resist is another banger, I’m very partial to the opening track but I’m already at my opening track quota and aren’t sure what I’m going to do about night letters…
You have two more tracks to go and you need a John K song!

Nailing desecrates had the same affect on me too and I agree with you about it probably being the best and most powerful, thought provoking animal liberation/rights song.

there’s also a verse in the song “the purina hall of fame”  that points out how some of the more shallow animal rights groups (like peta for example are vain and usually only care about saving the lives of animals that are visually pleasing aesthetically (like most domestic pets)

“Too bad the tribute's paid to lives that relegate these thrones
To lives spent valuing the runners-up, are known
Are to be neither fleeting nor desirable”

That lyric puts things into perspective when it comes to valuing the life of a cat or dog because of how they are cute/pleasing to the eye and therefore they are looked at as more deserving of being saved than, say a frog, snake or an opossum…

As I think I said earlier, I can definitely nerd out to discussing propagandhi for days! Haha!!
//////////

HeavyAndExpensive

• Rep: 114
« Reply #87 on: July 10, 2022, 01:31:20 PM »

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #88 on: July 10, 2022, 09:06:17 PM »
https://youtu.be/XMcRN5DGGzE
... and they call this peace!

sulynn is really amazing, she’s also a lot more versatile in different styles and genres of guitar playing and she’s. Honestly probably a far more well rounded guitarist than Chris or todd, she really brought an amazing layer to the guitar tracks just like David guiles did when he was in the band.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OeenFGMlZ_4
Imagine that being your audition footy!!!

JRF

« Reply #89 on: July 12, 2022, 06:43:18 PM »
... and they call this peace!

Expand Quote
sulynn is really amazing, she’s also a lot more versatile in different styles and genres of guitar playing and she’s. Honestly probably a far more well rounded guitarist than Chris or todd, she really brought an amazing layer to the guitar tracks just like David guiles did when he was in the band.
[close]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OeenFGMlZ_4
Imagine that being your audition footy!!!

I actually audition for the back guitarist job. But there was no way in hell I would’ve been picked,,, I can play htce, ltmr, and Potemkin pretty easily, but when comes down to 80 percent of todays empires and failed states I would not be able to hold down the rhythm layer, let alone any of the leads, some of the capo settings on today’s empires is fucking ridiculous! Then there’s the supporting cast album, which I can improve my way through the song “Potemkin city limits” and “without love” “sandre katze” “night letters” and “this is your life” are easy enough to figure out. I agree with the sentiment that sullyn is more than cut out for the job and if you watch some of her tutorials you can tell that she must have not just been cut out for the band but most likely offers song writing on “victory lap” and any album they record after that. Not saying this as an insult to Dave “the beaver” guilles (probably butchered the spelling of his last name).but sullyn seems to be able to add creativity to the band. But “the beav” did write the opening riff to “tertium non datur” and that is one hell of a face melting riff.
//////////