Author Topic: Fucking Frontside Pop shove its  (Read 3084 times)

treflips_up_yer_nan

Fucking Frontside Pop shove its
« on: November 16, 2020, 06:23:19 AM »
So I recently had to replace my bushings, and, being a total moron, ended up riding them too lose for a month before tightening them again a week ago. I now have the hardest time with this trick, even though I could pop it effortlessly before I tightened my back bushings.

So yeah do ya thing slap, post some tips or footage.

Btw this can be a general thread for anyone looking for tips on this specific pop shove variation i guess
« Last Edit: November 17, 2020, 12:58:26 PM by treflips_up_yer_nan »

Dudecahedron

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 2
Re: Fucking Frontside Pop shove its
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2020, 12:18:13 PM »
This trick always gave me a hard time in the past. I would always either primo or get the board wrapped up in my legs. I do this trick all the time switch and nollie with a very pointed popping toe, very far in that heel-side pocket, but for some reason I could never replicate it in my regular stance.

Recently, however, I have started putting my toe more in the middle of the tail, still a bit pointed, so that when I scoop the shuv the tail is popping from the toe-side, counteracting the tendency to flip and giving the board a much flatter, cleaner spin. I rarely miss them on flat now, even when going fast. Good luck!

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1963
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2020, 12:26:46 PM »

Recently, however, I have started putting my toe more in the middle of the tail, still a bit pointed, so that when I scoop the shuv the tail is popping from the toe-side, counteracting the tendency to flip and giving the board a much flatter, cleaner spin. I rarely miss them on flat now, even when going fast. Good luck!

Yeah, this is definitely the ticket. I don't really think of the scoop the same way as like a 360 flip where the pocket helps it spin and flip. I try to scoop more down and out so that the pop/rotation go straight back to my feet.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1566
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2020, 10:47:25 PM »
I go front foot toe hangs off a tiny bit, back foot: toe in heel pocket....tail pops forwards....front foot keeps in close contact w the board to keep it flat....

experiment with how much toe hang with front foot...

treflips_up_yer_nan

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2020, 12:11:06 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Yeah, this is definitely the ticket. I don't really think of the scoop the same way as like a 360 flip where the pocket helps it spin and flip. I try to scoop more down and out so that the pop/rotation go straight back to my feet.

Yeah I was tryhading them yesterday and I came to that conclusion too  :D
I was tired and batdown so i couldnt pop them very high but really stoked to try after uni

Skatebeard

• Rep: 129
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2020, 05:20:33 AM »
Learnt them switch today finally, i've always struggled a bit with regular ones, do them kind of folded and have to really bring my legs up high.

Neither are particularly pretty but they'll do me in a game of skate...was nice to get switch ones down as that's the last shuv I needed to complete the full set.

CorneliusCardew

• Rep: -53
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2020, 08:14:10 AM »
Anyone have any tips on getting these higher? I can do them but I want to really boost them.

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2020, 12:19:56 PM »
Big toe on the very center of the tail is key and then you just slam it straight down and use the rebound to both form the trick and get height. The less scoop or shove the better, in fact I find that trick works best when treated as a purely vertical one (think hardflips that don't flip), sideways action is only bound to be parasite if you want high ones. It's a normal, straight, hopefully strong ollie but the tail just so happens to come around.

treflips_up_yer_nan

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2020, 12:56:14 PM »
Big toe on the very center of the tail is key and then you just slam it straight down and use the rebound to both form the trick and get height. The less scoop or shove the better, in fact I find that trick works best when treated as a purely vertical one (think hardflips that don't flip), sideways action is only bound to be parasite if you want high ones. It's a normal, straight, hopefully strong ollie but the tail just so happens to come around.

Thats how I did them when my bolts were loose, they'd come right up and were flat as one can be. Im getting them back though! I had a great session today and managed to pop a few real high by re ajusting my back foot position and popping with my toes like @pizzafliptofakie said, whereas I used to simply pop with my whole foot before. I also noticed they looked much better and were much higher with the toe pop, you guys have got some great advice, bless  ;D

treflips_up_yer_nan

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2020, 12:59:46 PM »
Anyone have any tips on getting these higher? I can do them but I want to really boost them.

I think the key is to really pop straight down as hard as you can and try to get your knees as high as you can so the board comes up with you. Koston does them super fuckin high probably footage on youtube somewhere

Stu Pickles

• Rep: 95
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2020, 04:34:46 PM »
This is the one shuv that I am missing. Can do em switch really proper, but always struggled with em in my regular(goofy) stance. @silhouette 's toe placement is something I havnt tried to work with before, always had a lot of foot on the tail. Always gave up working on them quickly but now Im inspired

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 303
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2020, 04:58:54 PM »

I need to re-learn these. Your post made me remember that when I initially learned them, I treated it more like a 180 no-comply with no body turn (see the Ray Barbee line in Public Domain). That is to say, my front foot wasn’t pushing the board frontside but rather kind of dropping off the heelside edge and getting out of the way.

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1035
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2020, 06:14:29 PM »
Rick Howard has the most effortless FS shuvit. He showed me the way...

« Last Edit: November 17, 2020, 07:10:00 PM by GardenSkater77 »

gin

• Rep: 4
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2020, 11:03:18 PM »

Just to add to this, the slight jump backwards is what gets the board popping frontside. Pretty much all popped shoves are like this where you want to pop very hard straight down, giving it only a very slight angle to rotate.

LordManHammer

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -324
  • (0_o) whatever dog you probably suck at it
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2020, 10:19:54 AM »
Someone has already mentioned it back foot center and really dip down and bust that shit forwards and it goes high as fuck keep feet close together when jumping up and you've got it.

Really like this trick and got em switch as well probably even better than goofy.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2020, 10:50:19 AM by El Fapinator »
Dueces Bitch's

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1566
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2020, 11:24:05 AM »
You just slow it down and lift your font foot....

My push/pop knee has been giving me trouble so I've been trying to skate/push switch last couple sessions... The only real thing that feels decent is switch front shuv....psyched it's starting to make sense...

I don't want to start a new thread but what about switch front big....what's the key to that?  No relation at all to a fakie bigspin right? 

Peepeeboy69

• Rep: 14
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2021, 09:08:12 AM »

popping off toe side edge i learnt this trick this morning in like 20 minutes after trying for almost 6 months. Thank you very much.

pica

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -36
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2021, 10:29:13 AM »
Do nothing with your front food. Just keep it underneath you front bolts and don‘t move it.

numagik

• Rep: 35
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2021, 12:58:28 PM »
Expand Quote
Hang your front toes off....everyone knows that....back foot when you pop...don't think popping down....think popping straight or forward.

Say like a 3 flip if you took an overhead shot....your back foot would swing behind you....front shove you pop straight ahead...and jump!
[close]

this! Its all about that soccer ball kick. your back foot almost kicks inward toward your front foot. thats gonna give you the most pop while still keeping it under you.
kind of a necro but i just got these consistently. was digging through old threads for tips last week and i think this helped the most. mine would always drift behind me but thinking about passing a soccer ball with the inside of the foot and following that line got rid of it for me and helped me nail them down.

Hubba Bo-Tep

• Rep: 43
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2021, 09:52:58 AM »
Unfortunately the 'pop straight down' just didn't work for me when I was learning these.  I'm in the 'back foot does more stuff than that' camp.

Setting up, the toes of my front foot are hanging off the toe edge and just forward of the middle of the deck.  The toes/ball of my back foot are centered in the pocket just behind the fingers of flat and I'm on the toes.  Weight is to the back and towards the heel side and I'm looking at the toes of my front foot. 

The pop is all about aiming the back foot as if I'm trying to kick the toes of my front foot.   There's also a slight jump to the heel side as I pop.   The pop is hard and fast and then get the back knee towards the chest. When everything comes together the deck will pop right up into my front foot fully rotated at the highest point.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2021, 03:35:57 AM »
Back foot placement doesn’t matter that much for me (but I’ll be right on center or heading towards toe side) but you really need to scoop it (behind you) as opposed to trying to pop it imho

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1888
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2021, 06:35:23 AM »
Didn't think too much about this trick before the thread but I finally got round to learning them switch. I have to jump backwards when doing them regular, but jump upwards when doing them switch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkH5a9YILJ8, see 1:10.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Urtripping

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 531
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2021, 06:00:43 PM »
Hey the popping straight forward trick helped me land some of the best feeling sw front shoves I've ever done today. A good friend of mine gave me this tip years ago but it never clicked until today
I saw your mommy and your mommy's dead

Skatebeard

• Rep: 129
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2021, 01:07:14 AM »
Switch FS pop shuv is like my nemesis, only shuv that I struggle to land vaguely clean.

coneklr

« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2021, 07:28:58 AM »
I go front foot toe hangs off a tiny bit, back foot: toe in heel pocket....tail pops forwards....front foot keeps in close contact w the board to keep it flat....

experiment with how much toe hang with front foot...

I feel like this is the most important part

jaysouthbay

• Rep: 1
« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2021, 09:06:22 PM »
yes to everyone saying pop almost straight down.. but instead of parroting whats been said ill just offer the video that taught me them. i have them nice. i showed this vid to someone who was fairly new and he learned them the same way, has em high as fuck and good as well. watch:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjO2-pxs_80&ab_channel=DeliStatus

baaaaaaguette

« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2021, 11:14:09 AM »
I set them up like a laser flip. My foot placement is absolutely fucked for that trick but I can boost them really high, it’s that one trick I do to vibe people I don’t like  ;D

But seriously the tips in this thread are spot on, a small contribution: when I do them I usually lean somewhat forward and I don’t even numb backwards I can’t really explain but it seems like leaning forward keeps the board from going behind you too much.

funeral_tuxedo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1137
  • old and in the way
« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2021, 01:16:58 AM »
Didn't think too much about this trick before the thread but I finally got round to learning them switch. I have to jump backwards when doing them regular, but jump upwards when doing them switch.

@rocklobster can you go into detail a bit about how you figured out fs shuvs and bigspins regular and switchstance?  I'd like to learn them this summer and not do them jumping backwards style like in the video you posted:  i.e.: squatting dramatically before doing the trick and sticking my butt out like Josh Harmony.
I feel closer to landing switch fs bigspins but I can't do those either.

Roger__Kook

• Rep: 5
« Reply #28 on: May 11, 2021, 02:30:30 AM »
yes to everyone saying pop almost straight down.. but instead of parroting whats been said ill just offer the video that taught me them. i have them nice. i showed this vid to someone who was fairly new and he learned them the same way, has em high as fuck and good as well. watch:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjO2-pxs_80&ab_channel=DeliStatus
Thanks for posting this, helped me loads. Before I was doing nasty jump backwards style ones, popping the fuck out of them really helps. Shalom.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1888
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #29 on: May 11, 2021, 02:50:18 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

@rocklobster can you go into detail a bit about how you figured out fs shuvs and bigspins regular and switchstance?  I'd like to learn them this summer and not do them jumping backwards style like in the video you posted:  i.e.: squatting dramatically before doing the trick and sticking my butt out like Josh Harmony.
I feel closer to landing switch fs bigspins but I can't do those either.

I don't have big spins, switch or regular, still in the early days of kicking them around, though I think if I tried I would have better success with a switch one.

When it comes to FS shove, what I can say is my switch one is far more controlled and consistent that my regular ones. I attribute this to:
1) shoulders in line with the deck, when doing them regular I hunch my shoulders more out of habit of popping super hard and jumping backwards
2) back foot at the corner pocket of the tail, the closer to the edge of the tail the less you have to scoop the board, and the less you will need to jump backwards to catch the board
3) was you pop / scoop, I make sure I focus on lifting my front knee up, instead of backwards to catch the board behind me

This bit sounds esoteric but what I found helpful was my buddy telling me "you control the board, don't let the board control you" and every since then when we've been kicking FS shuv we are aware of the 3 points I mentioned above.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m