Author Topic: will you skip a session due to tiredness?  (Read 1299 times)

jaysouthbay

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 1
will you skip a session due to tiredness?
« on: May 04, 2021, 11:08:02 AM »
lets say you havent slept all that well, feel drowsy, but you really want to be consistent and improve and feel bad about missing another day, and tomorrow it'll rain so itll be 2 days in a row you missed.

do you still go out and risk having a bad/unproductive session or is it smarter to listen to your body and not go out if youre not at 100%?

Lloyd Braun

• Rep: 80
Re: will you skip a session due to tiredness?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2021, 06:37:58 PM »
I have definitely done both. In this case, I think the key is to ask yourself if you're not going because you actually NEED to sleep. As in you have literally not slept, or if you went to bed a few hours late and you're just being lazy. A lot of times I get home and Im exhausted, but I make myself go skate and after Im warmed up I feel great. I will especially do this if its going to rain the next day(s)

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1891
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2021, 06:47:51 PM »
I have definitely done both. In this case, I think the key is to ask yourself if you're not going because you actually NEED to sleep. As in you have literally not slept, or if you went to bed a few hours late and you're just being lazy. A lot of times I get home and Im exhausted, but I make myself go skate and after Im warmed up I feel great. I will especially do this if its going to rain the next day(s)

If I'm lacking sleep - take the day off or get an extra hour of sleep in before I head out
If I'm feeling lazy - get my ass out of bed and start getting ready regardless of how I feel, once I get my day started I won't go back to bed

Even if I'm not feeling 100% psyched, I would still go out there and work on my basics. I'm a working adult any my weekends are very limited, even more so for skateboarding. Got to get every session I can get.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Sila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 320
  • Jamu Gost
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2021, 01:06:43 AM »
Tiredness will always increase your chances of getting injured. I think you are always better off fully rested. It's always smarter to listen to your body.

Turtle Boy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 169
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2021, 02:03:45 AM »
Tiredness will always increase your chances of getting injured. I think you are always better off fully rested. It's always smarter to listen to your body.
This. If it's going to rain for a couple weeks, I may try to go and have a really mellow session, just to feel the board and have fun.

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2021, 02:23:46 AM »
I will give it a shot even if my legs don‘t feel great. Sometimes it‘s just until they are warmed up and then the session will be good. If not you can still call it quits after 20 minutes.
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

Skatebeard

• Rep: 129
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2021, 06:44:45 AM »
I've done both but I lean towards taking a day off these days, no point risking injury if I feel overtired and not really on it.

That said, i've picked up injuries on good days when being fully warmed up too... it's all a roll of the dice.

CorneliusCardew

• Rep: -53
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2021, 06:55:34 AM »
I would split the difference and have a chill session.

dofrenzy

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2021, 06:57:56 AM »
I believe everyone should skate compromised (tired, sore, hurting, etc.).  Hopefully most of us have a lifetime to skate, so I am happy to miss a few days because I know I will be back BUT I also know it helps to skate a little every day.

On a compromised day it’s not about productivity for me, it’s just about skating and doing what I can comfortably.  My front leg quadriceps have an issue right now but I got a mini session in yesterday, 15 minutes of getting a line together of all my simple moves (I can only do about a half-dozen things on a skateboard right now).  Still, spending a few minutes just accomplishing a simple line feels like a big deal for my emotional and mental state.

If you make it about “being productive” it can be tough.  I try to get something steezy in when I am compromised and make it about being “future productive”.

baustin

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 115
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2021, 09:51:55 AM »
I find that being tired from lack of sleep and not wanting to skate go hand in hand. I’ll just walk my dog for some fresh air and call it a night so I don’t feel the same way tomorrow

PhantomBased

• Rep: -13
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2021, 10:00:48 AM »
I just had this issue. It’s definitely beneficial to rest.

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 595
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2021, 10:21:23 AM »
I prefer a chill session in that case. Just take it easy and enjoy the basic moves. If it's no fun at all, I can still go home and relax.
IG: @flowterspace

vicious cycle

• Rep: 160
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2021, 11:53:38 AM »
Why not just skate 50% or 20 ? When I'm totally fucked from work or had a bad night, I usually just go arround the hood with my cruiser. To go on a real session in this state of feeling tired and low energie can work sometimes and sometimes, at least in my case, you fuck yourself up and can't skate or even walk for 6-8 weeks..
You can't buy happiness but you can buy a Skateboard.

pica

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -36
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2021, 02:37:01 PM »
I work 25 hour shifts and depending on how stressfull the night is i definitly have skipped sessions.

bigdave

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 180
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2021, 03:17:32 PM »
I will be 45 next week. I come home from work all the time saying "WERE SKATING TONIGHT!" and then I am asleep by 8:30pm. So yes, happens to me a lot.
ok thanks

FUBAR

• Rep: 231
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2021, 05:48:12 PM »
I’m also 45 and go when I can. If I’m tired, I will keep it mellow. I’ve had sessions where I told myself I was just going to roll around turn in to learning a new flip trick, so you never know unless you go.
The way I see it...it’s exercise whether you land a bunch of shit or not.

Lloyd Braun

• Rep: 80
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2021, 06:57:07 PM »
I will give it a shot even if my legs don‘t feel great. Sometimes it‘s just until they are warmed up and then the session will be good. If not you can still call it quits after 20 minutes.

This, a lot of the times it takes a lot of mental energy for me to overcome the desire to just lay around and chill on days I'm tired or have worked long hours, but I try to at least make an effort when I can. Some days I end up skating great after I get over the initial hump, and others Ive left after 15 minutes. My sessions are typcially just skating some ledges nearby, so never too gnar. The key is to just be real with yourself, if you really want to skate give it a shot, but never force shit when it's not working, know when to fold 'em.

dr.prestige

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 298
  • rest in peace Loaf
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2021, 02:39:55 PM »
Most days if I'm tired I'll force myself to go and at least break a sweat and roll around for a half hour. Most times after that half hour I'm feeling good so I keep skating. Some days if the exhaustion is pretty extreme I'll decide not to go. I broke my ankle once because I went skating after getting shit sleep a few nights in a row and then driving 6 to 8 hours, I knew I was way too tired but went anyway and ended up paying the price for that. I had to get surgery to put my tibia and fibula back together and then I couldn't walk, let alone skate, for several months. That kinda shocked me into being willing to take breathers some days.

Op, you ok man? Being real here, you doin alright?

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 939
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2021, 07:42:45 PM »
Rest is important, no matter the physical activity.

Would you rather half ass a session or be closer  to 100%?

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1891
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2021, 11:47:28 PM »
Most days if I'm tired I'll force myself to go and at least break a sweat and roll around for a half hour. Most times after that half hour I'm feeling good so I keep skating.

Getting over the inertia especially during a morning session is the toughest. But just rolling around, doing some manuals, a no comply and you'll be in the mood in a second.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

imuseless

• Rep: 14
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2021, 01:59:56 AM »
I'm always tired, so try not to. It's usually worth it, my skating is mellow goofing around anyway.

Hyliannightmare

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -204
« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2021, 12:46:13 PM »
Never I only get 1 a day off a week that my kids in school and I'm gonna skate 7 hours that day regardless of how tired I am

Andmoreagain

• Rep: 51
« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2021, 04:00:36 PM »
Yes

TheCrimsonShroud

• Rep: 98
« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2021, 06:05:04 PM »
Never I only get 1 a day off a week that my kids in school and I'm gonna skate 7 hours that day regardless of how tired I am

Buddy, I fucking feel that.