Author Topic: Arcades!  (Read 1436 times)

fortunecattlesteakhouse

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 91
Re: Arcades!
« Reply #30 on: May 10, 2021, 07:59:20 PM »
gauntlet legends was pretty fun -offspring of the d&d side scroller

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I once spent I don't know how many hours trying to beat a Metal Slug game with one credit. I made it to the last boss...
[close]

Some god-tier skills needed to make it that far on a single credit. Loved how Metal Slug cranked up the wackiness with each instalment - aliens, zombies, new aliens, KoF fighters

Virtua Tennis is loads of fun too; a good player will have you zipping all over the court on return before lobbing the ball just over the net to fuck with you.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned DDR yet, flash in the pan success of the 2000s.

[close]

I'll watch that DDR video later, I'd love to know what the conclusion to the primise.

From my local, the new hotness is dance rush stardom. I went there once and there were a crew with fucking water bottles, sweatbands and gym bags just camped out at the cabinet. definitely more fun and accessible than DDR IMO. Also, even the low-rank modes are a good workout.

imagine wanting to play a round of ddr and that dance team is basically merking every obstacle in the park. then they heckle because your sweatband isnt wide enough or something. check out drumscape -only mtv arcade game i know and its surprisingly good albeit harder to find

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1930
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #31 on: May 10, 2021, 08:24:33 PM »

Played a lot of Beatmania in the 2000s too, convinced my brother to try DJ-ing a few years ago.

Asia had a lot of fun arcade games that the US didn't have access to, though Japan had the absolute best arcade cabinets.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

KBizzle

• Rep: -17
« Reply #32 on: May 10, 2021, 10:39:07 PM »
Shinobi and Street Fighter

Mongey

• Rep: -5
« Reply #33 on: May 11, 2021, 02:30:29 AM »
Arcades were the best. Late 80s early 90s. Going into the city and going to time Zone or orbit. There’s was always new games to check out and blow through your pocket money.

Youoverthere

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 165
« Reply #34 on: May 12, 2021, 06:34:19 AM »
I just went to a pretty chill arcade called round 1 last night for my bro’s birthday. I’m a veteran but my girlfriend still beat my ass at time crisis 5 lol. Also I didn’t know initial D had a racing game.

it must be crazy when chico sells you something and the tables switch from "give me my money chico" to "giving my money to chico"

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 261
  • tiger style
« Reply #35 on: May 12, 2021, 06:58:55 AM »
i think i was in the first gen of the arcade. i remember going to my first one in the 70s in singapore and it was my first time seeing donky kong and galaga. my dad never gave me enough quarters to be able to get good at any of these games but in high school i lived in australia and the hub buss stop was at a mall with an arcade and we used to hustle it with straws. i remember playing puch out a lot and there there was some plat former style game i was into but vaguely remember. i think it had genies or something like that. after that i was poor as shit with my mom in louisiana and would play at the local connivence store on the rare occasion i had some extra change. in college was last time i'd actually hang at an arcade. they had one on campus and i got good enough at street fighter that none of my friends would really want to play me anymore so i tried going there and getting schooled by the nerds. this last xmas santa dropped this off the for the kids and i got to go down memory lane. it's a 4 stick setup and got 30,000 classic games everything in arcade and console up to ps2 timeframe. we've moved on from the classics and mostly play steam games on it now. the kids love cuphead, ori, mortal kombat 12, killer instinct, etc... it's good fun.

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1071
« Reply #36 on: May 12, 2021, 08:50:29 AM »
I just went to a pretty chill arcade called round 1 last night for my bro’s birthday. I’m a veteran but my girlfriend still beat my ass at time crisis 5 lol. Also I didn’t know initial D had a racing game.

if you go to the counter at round 1, for any of those japanese games, you can get one of the RFID cards that saves your stats. I think with intial D, you can mod your car. Some of the games there has Wifi, where you can get your ass kicked by somebody in japan. Not Initial D

another great thing about Round 1. Kids under 13 need an adult. After 8pm all kids need an adult. After 10 no kids. They stay open until 2am. Week nights and sunday nights are so good. Any Rowdyness is usually near the bowling area.

Youoverthere

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 165
« Reply #37 on: May 12, 2021, 08:54:24 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

if you go to the counter at round 1, for any of those japanese games, you can get one of the RFID cards that saves your stats. I think with intial D, you can mod your car. Some of the games there has Wifi, where you can get your ass kicked by somebody in japan. Not Initial D

another great thing about Round 1. Kids under 13 need an adult. After 8pm all kids need an adult. After 10 no kids. They stay open until 2am. Week nights and sunday nights are so good. Any Rowdyness is usually near the bowling area.
!!! I didn’t know that. Now I’m definitely going back.

it must be crazy when chico sells you something and the tables switch from "give me my money chico" to "giving my money to chico"

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1930
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #38 on: May 12, 2021, 10:03:28 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
!!! I didn’t know that. Now I’m definitely going back.

I suspect the entire arcade industry hinges on Japanese gamers; which has unfortunately been hit bad by COVID. They have the most innovative arcade experiences, I remember being blown away by this tactical card game where you could control onscreen troop movement with cards you laid down on the playing field.

There are also massive PvP Gundam gams where you get to customize your robot and save the progress for huge battles. Like a more advanced version of Virtual On.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1071
« Reply #39 on: May 12, 2021, 11:24:44 AM »
there's this Japanese magician battle royal arcade game that's online. your left has a will nunchuck to control movement. Your right hand is like attacks and shit. You use your powers by waving your hand doing different gestures. For example, clutch your fist to pick up a car pull your arm back and throw it. Or doing finger guns to shoot lighting. They put you in a room online and run around fighting real people. It's a dope concept, but I can't imagine putting in the time at an arcade to really get any good at it.

I really want to go to the sega arcade in tokyo. I wish arcade culture in the US had evolved like japans instead of giving us, fruit ninja, and fucking "Space Invaders Frenzy" who wanted that shit.

actually i like fruit ninja.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1580
« Reply #40 on: May 15, 2021, 07:43:53 AM »
There's this place I went to in Portland, the Avalon and all the games were a nickel....it gave me the opportunity to finish the Simpsons game which for me at least is a serious accomplishment.....

matty_c

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 459
« Reply #41 on: May 16, 2021, 04:45:23 PM »
Used to love them my favourite ones are street fighter tekken and the metal slugs
Time crisis was good too
Used to play those ticket machines too
Crazy taxi was tight

Do they have super sessions in states? You used to go on a Saturday pay 20 bucks or something and they’d lock you in there and all the games were free

We had this place called topps in the Myer centre it was a big arcade had a dragon coaster and one of those ships that goes up and down that place was cool as fuck
Fuck yeah there’s a video of it on YouTube

Far out the whine of the dragon coaster takes me back

Also grundys in surfers paradise was sick

Can’t remember where maybe Piccadilly Circus? but went to this beast arcade in the uk it was seriously huge I wanna say dick Branson owned it or something there was a big virgin music store there

Had a go of rise of the triad there in vr in the mid 90s, never saw it anywhere else again

You guys will probably laugh but we go to this place called zero latency in Brisbane it’s this vr thing in a warehouse, computer on your back and you have to carry the rifle around and actually walk to get around

Can’t remember exactly but we got something like 4th or 6th highest score in aus at that place but it’s not very difficult

I have seen videos of some Japanese arcade joints yeah they look legit as

That’s dope, Sleazy
listen to cosmic psychos

Hinna

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 74
« Reply #42 on: August 25, 2021, 07:09:54 AM »
house of the dead 1 and 2
tc
crazy taxi was fun so i got it for pc back in the day but it obviously wasnt the same without the arcades atmosphere