Author Topic: Illogical Skate Superstitions  (Read 8488 times)

Eggie Vedder

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 32
Illogical Skate Superstitions
« on: May 04, 2021, 11:55:19 AM »
The red top thread made me think about my own skating superstitions and I was curious what other weird tics other skaters have.

For me, I have to do a kickflip before I do an ollie when starting a session. I’ve kept the streak for over 20 years without fail. This includes if I’m just going to cruise to the store. If I want to ollie up a curb I will have to have kickflipped first. I stopped skating for 3 years and when I started skating again I still had to do a kickflip before I would let my self ollie. I even broke my ankle so bad I had to do physical rehab for 6 months before I could skate again and sure enough I did a kickflip before an ollie. I’m extremely logical in my everyday life and believe in no other superstitions but this is one I for some reason can’t let go.

Am I alone in this? Does anyone else have an inexplicable superstition they need to keep and if so how long is the streak? Will I get 7 years of bad skating luck if I were to drop the streak?

TastyBurrito

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 538
Re: Illogical Skate Superstitions
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2021, 11:59:10 AM »
When I have a bad session it's because I touch myself at night – God is always watching.

Freelancevagrant

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1556
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2021, 12:08:09 PM »
If I’m going out for a sesh, I have to stop at the same store to get the same drinks every time.

Once I’m at the sesh, if I’m battling for something or skating like garbage, I’ll always bum a cigarette off my buddy and skate with it, we always say we’re doing it for cancer Dan.

I won’t skate transition if I’m not warmed up for a good hour skating flat ground/ledges. That’s more of a safety precaution though, I broke like 5 bones in 2019 by going straight to the deepened without much of a warm up other than stressing.
Well I have like 9 Andy Anderson dated flight decks.

snowballz

• Rep: -12
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2021, 12:31:27 PM »
When I have a bad session it's because I touch myself at night – God is always watching.

Lennie is that you??

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1118
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2021, 01:00:35 PM »
There’s a crack at my local that I refuse to ride over when exiting the park. Gotta ollie, tip-toe, or walk across upon my exit.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Jean-Ralphio Zaperstein

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 660
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2021, 01:03:12 PM »
The red top thread made me think about my own skating superstitions and I was curious what other weird tics other skaters have.

For me, I have to do a kickflip before I do an ollie when starting a session. I’ve kept the streak for over 20 years without fail. This includes if I’m just going to cruise to the store. If I want to ollie up a curb I will have to have kickflipped first. I stopped skating for 3 years and when I started skating again I still had to do a kickflip before I would let my self ollie. I even broke my ankle so bad I had to do physical rehab for 6 months before I could skate again and sure enough I did a kickflip before an ollie. I’m extremely logical in my everyday life and believe in no other superstitions but this is one I for some reason can’t let go.

Am I alone in this? Does anyone else have an inexplicable superstition they need to keep and if so how long is the streak? Will I get 7 years of bad skating luck if I were to drop the streak?

That's amazing
I try to finish every session with a flatground kickflip, got that from og skate buddies, but no real streak

CannerSpaghetti

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2021, 03:48:53 PM »
After setting up a deck i have to do at least one slide trick to get a slide mark on there before i can actually start skating it. It's usually a boardslide on a ledge or flatbar, but noseslide or tailslide can work in a pinch.

Sluggloaph

• Rep: 25
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2021, 03:53:34 PM »
All of mine are logical. Can't help.
Whoa. Danger.

TheLurper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 647
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2021, 05:19:46 PM »
Snaking is bad luck. Just yet another reason not to do it.

Quote from: ChuckRamone
I love when people bring up world hunger. It makes everything meaningless.
"That guy is double parked."
"Who cares? There are people starving to death! Besides, how does that affect you? Does it lessen the joy of parking?

Jehoshaphat Augustus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 286
  • And you better believe: they're ALL silk
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2021, 05:38:29 PM »
I like your kickflip before the ollie rule! Keep the blade sharp.

Im probably the only dude who gets this, but usually when I'm like about to (for example) frontside flip something like Wallenberg or the Hollywood 16, i gotta like touch mad amounts of shit a certain amount of times or like tap my tail the same amount of times or I won't land fuckin bolts as fuck.
I got beef with Brian sumner and it’s onsite for that fat fucking red coat.

sometimeperhaps

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 142
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2021, 07:51:39 PM »
^^i didn’t know Reynolds posted on slap

Welpok

• Rep: 11
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2021, 08:03:33 PM »
If I break any hardware I quit my session immediately. For me it is a bad omen.
SLAP: come for the gossip, stay for the lk130 Stylin’ On You attempts

“More celebrities know of me than I know of them.” -James T. Greco

Taraval

• Rep: 28
  • :p
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2021, 10:35:36 PM »
Awh man I have a bunch of skate superstitions I can’t shake, but here’s a couple I can think of rn:

If someone takes a serious slam, I won’t go after them even if it was my turn

I gotta leave the sesh on a landed trick, usually a kf but if im tired I’ll take anything. Otherwise I think about it all day

Less of a superstition but if a homie lands a trick i know they are hyped on, I will always make a comment of stoke. I always feel like if i knew they did something new and were genuinely stoked and I acted like I didnt care then skate karma will bite me.
😶

Grim Deeds

• Rep: 11
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2021, 10:57:06 PM »
I remember there being a stigma against skating red blanks for a while. Bad luck or something. I think someone may have taken a heavy slam on one and then the superstition spread.

metsuri

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -29
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2021, 11:57:19 PM »
Awh man I have a bunch of skate superstitions I can’t shake, but here’s a couple I can think of rn:

If someone takes a serious slam, I won’t go after them even if it was my turn

I gotta leave the sesh on a landed trick, usually a kf but if im tired I’ll take anything. Otherwise I think about it all day

Less of a superstition but if a homie lands a trick i know they are hyped on, I will always make a comment of stoke. I always feel like if i knew they did something new and were genuinely stoked and I acted like I didnt care then skate karma will bite me.

I can co-sign on all of these.
Ending the session with landing something is a must, even if it's just a shove it or a no comply.

I've never really thought about it before but I never go after someone slams, at least not try the trick I was going to try. If I do go right after, I'll go for an easy set up trick instead. Kind of start over.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1888
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2021, 01:01:14 AM »

Probably why I'm still terrible 20 years on.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

friendly dave

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 719
  • grinding to a halt
    • grindingtoahalt avatar image
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2021, 01:07:57 AM »
If someone says "last try" it has to be the last try. No "one more". I've had that fuck me up, and have seen some of my friends get worked on that one. Personally I will never skate with a new board and new shoes in the same session. Did it once and fucked up my ankle real bad, so never again/
Because you can't kill and idea, and we will not be ruled!

the visuals are also mad visual yo
FTW

metsuri

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -29
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2021, 02:37:52 AM »
If someone says "last try" it has to be the last try. No "one more". I've had that fuck me up, and have seen some of my friends get worked on that one. Personally I will never skate with a new board and new shoes in the same session. Did it once and fucked up my ankle real bad, so never again/

Never call the last try.

johnes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -237
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2021, 03:58:44 AM »

I also gotta leave on a make. Usually I’ll just do an easy shuv it as I’m leaving the park if I didn’t land the last trick I tried.
This is something I do because of a book I read in elementary school called The Million Dollar Shot.
It’s a about a kid who plays basketball and shots 500 free throws a day because he has a chance to shot a a free throw to win a million bucks. And his coach tells him, if you miss #500 keep going until you make one, never leave on a miss.
I’m a fat Siamese cat.

decoi1

• Rep: 18
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2021, 04:04:41 AM »
No Adidas

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 303
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2021, 04:17:45 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Never call the last try.

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2021, 04:47:18 AM »
Leave on a make.
And if someone slams I scale back what I was trying or wait to go.
When putting trucks on I put the bolts in on a pattern like top right bottom left then top left Then bottom right.
If I’m not feeling like skating for some reason. I won’t make myself. One day I wasn’t feeling it. And was like you gotta go this may be only day this week you can and I hurt myself so now I won’t force myself to go.

CorneliusCardew

• Rep: -53
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2021, 06:57:46 AM »
Sometimes I envision the worst possible outcome and it helps me land my trick

Masshole

• Rep: 23
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2021, 07:01:02 AM »
Gotta land a fast ledge trick before any flip tricks, I usually go medium speed back 50, then fast back 50, then fast 5-0 or tail slide to confirm I am ready to start flipping my board

Deputy Wendell

« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2021, 08:31:09 AM »

mother of god man, who says this and continues to skate? terrifying...

never...and i mean never leave the warning sticker on the board under the grip....i feel anxiety just saying that out loud.

line in grip always has to be in the front, behind the front bolts, never...and i mean never in the back, in front of the back bolts...i won't even step on a board gripped like that.

all wheels with plain side out, except the front right one--graphics out on the front right one, then...and only then are we ready to rip...

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1888
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2021, 08:36:35 AM »
Personally I will never skate with a new board and new shoes in the same session. Did it once and fucked up my ankle real bad, so never again/

New Board + New Shoes is a death sentence.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 595
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2021, 10:54:28 AM »
Have to put on my left shoe first.

Have to check if all nuts are tightened to the right amount.
One nut has to be colored (Gold right now).

Have to crucify myself when I try something hard.

Instantly stop skating when I hear an ambulance somewhere and wait til they are gone.

Last trick of the session has to be an switch ollie.
But like a good, clean and nice one.

Otherwise, no superstitions.
IG: @flowterspace

rock2fakie

• Rep: 7
« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2021, 11:36:43 AM »

Instantly stop skating when I hear an ambulance somewhere and wait til they are gone.

crucify yourself or cross yourself? crucifixion seems kind of counterproductive if you wanna hype yourself up

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 595
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2021, 11:47:46 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

crucify yourself or cross yourself? crucifixion seems kind of counterproductive if you wanna hype yourself up

ah damn.. English isn't my first language.

I mean crossing myself with my hands. Like you do, when you enter a church. I started with that a few years ago and always got my trick soo..
IG: @flowterspace

rock2fakie

• Rep: 7
« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2021, 11:49:56 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

ah damn.. English isn't my first language.

I mean crossing myself with my hands. Like you do, when you enter a church. I started with that a few years ago and always got my trick soo..

hah dw, im just being pedantic. crossing yourself it is then. cool that it seems to work