Author Topic: convenience store superiority argument thread  (Read 2538 times)

behavioralguide

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 769
  • dog stuff
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: convenience store superiority argument thread
« Reply #30 on: May 06, 2021, 05:43:28 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
support ur local corner store tho
[close]

My problem with the mom and pop convenience stores -- the ones where they don't have prices on the items -- is that some of them want to hit you with a super high price and you're supposed to, like, haggle them down. I've literally had a clerk say to me as I approached the counter, "Ah, Perrier Water! Good Stuff! Six dollars?" I just turned around and put it back in the refrigerator.
[close]
this is when you put 3 or 4 dollars on the counter and just keep it moving. if youre in a city atleast.
[close]

I pay $2.50 for that water at the mom and pop shop by my laundromat. On second thought, maybe I missed an opportunity to haggle him down to $1.50 (though I doubt it).

haggling for water sounds/feels off

numagik

• Rep: 35
« Reply #31 on: May 06, 2021, 11:18:00 AM »
thats probably why theyre upcharging ya. if you cultivate a relationship at those no price tag stores youll start getting shit at cost

companguero

• Rep: 248
  • sesquipedalian
« Reply #32 on: May 06, 2021, 03:13:16 PM »
I remember AMPM once sold a cup with a damn bucket handle which led me to this:

Looks like 7-11 won the largest-fluid-capacity arms race topping out at a full gallon.

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

« Last Edit: May 06, 2021, 03:26:01 PM by companguero »

Quote from: lazer69
Bitch, I dont got time to be on here reading every post.

EdLawndale

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1098
    • My Wife avatar image
« Reply #33 on: May 06, 2021, 05:54:15 PM »
thats probably why theyre upcharging ya. if you cultivate a relationship at those no price tag stores youll start getting shit at cost

Idk that I want to be cultivating relationships with ppl trying to ass rape me for a 300% upcharge. How many $6 bottles of water am I willing to pay for trying to butter up these penny-pinching mafuckas before that even makes sense for my pocketbook...
« Last Edit: May 06, 2021, 06:10:29 PM by EdLawndale »
"Was just about to say, wtf is up with this EdLawndale guy?"

ok boomer

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1029
  • Gnar Kook
« Reply #34 on: May 06, 2021, 07:01:28 PM »
I live by a 7-11 and it makes me so happy. 4 minutes of the store and I'm happy for an hour.

BiG GuLP GANG !

boi-cuzudo

« Reply #35 on: May 06, 2021, 07:21:43 PM »
local corner store here got the best jojos mmmmmm

plaid pantry > 7/11 any day

IUTSM

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1392
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #36 on: May 06, 2021, 09:14:06 PM »
When I was like 18-21 or so my good homie was the overnight guy at the only 24 hour bodega for 10miles in any direction. They had some real tasty deli food. Calzones and pizza bread rolls made fresh every day and shit. I don't know how the heck i ate that stuff all the time! I Spent waaay too many hours of my life getting faded and fucked up in that parking lot. Honestly though, ive got some really cool memories of hanging with my old skate homies over there before everyone started getting fucked up hard. 20th birthday, it was really warm june night with a full moon, me and my boy Frank had been skating up the road and went to see homie at the bodeg for some palmas and ended up sitting on the hood of his grey Oldsmobile til 5am blazing and drinking beers. Couple other random people we grew up with wandered by and matched. This puerto rican working girl who was a real sexy late 30s or something and lived across the street came over, drank henny and blazed. I don't know man, but that was a cool night at the store.

Otherwise, I don't buy shit other than a bottle of water and a banana at the convenience store and that's usually I'm travelling on the interstate. I hate spending extra money on that stuff.
Well-defined ambiguity, I'm already on somebody's list as a casualty

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 272
« Reply #37 on: May 06, 2021, 09:46:04 PM »
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 120
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #38 on: May 06, 2021, 10:54:41 PM »
Expand Quote
Japan
[close]

For all their vegan options, right?
natural lawson is getting a lot better these days. 7-11 also has a vege burgers a while back though they weren’t able to make them all vegan...
I just mean I terms of overall convenience, Japan is light years ahead. Take Mercari these days, I just waltz on into 7-11 flash a barcode and it immediately prints out an address label to send off all the stuff I’m flogging online
« Last Edit: May 07, 2021, 09:14:29 AM by Gay Imp Sausage Metal »

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 272
« Reply #39 on: May 06, 2021, 11:24:33 PM »
For paying bills and buying stuff online, they really are convenient.

But for vegan food they fucking suck. Some places in Japan are finally starting to come around (I had no idea Coco Ichiban has a whole page of vegan curry options until yesterday!)

But in general, I keep waiting for them to come around, but even some the fucking vegetarian rice balls contain gelatin
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

Youoverthere

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 165
« Reply #40 on: May 07, 2021, 06:38:16 AM »
No midwesterners here chiming in for the most obscenely named c-store chain of them all, Kum-n-Go?
Im in Denver and kng just flat out cannot compare to rofo or wawa. Kng just has snacks and freal blenders. Wawa and rofo have fresh hot MEALS with a way larger selection of snacks and drinks. Really the best cornerstores I found are all the random ones in New Orleans that serve up poboys.

it must be crazy when chico sells you something and the tables switch from "give me my money chico" to "giving my money to chico"

beandemon

• Rep: 181
« Reply #41 on: May 08, 2021, 05:13:16 AM »
Kwik Trip por vida. Honorable mention to Kim & Go and Pump n Munch.

Urtripping

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 524
« Reply #42 on: May 08, 2021, 10:47:46 AM »

I worked at a place like this in Ann Arbor, MI right next to the football stadium. Some items we tagged with prices, but many weren't labelled. My associates and I would upcharge a frat bro or two on candy or drinks, and it felt great honestly. Little bit of payback for making our lives a living hell during football season. Rich kids hardly ever batted an eye!

Also very good feeling to flow the homies at cost when they'd come in, or toss in some free shooters of Jameson or something with whatever they bought.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2021, 11:06:51 AM by Urtripping »
I saw your mommy and your mommy's dead

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1481
  • Illusion Flip
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #43 on: May 08, 2021, 11:18:48 AM »
Japan
I miss Lawson and 711 but I had a mom and pop one behind my mansion that ruled. Best place for drinking snacks and beer/chuhai selection.

Fhk

« Reply #44 on: May 09, 2021, 01:31:07 PM »
I remember AMPM once sold a cup with a damn bucket handle which led me to this:

Looks like 7-11 won the largest-fluid-capacity arms race topping out at a full gallon.

It may be unnecessary to say, but I think a convenience store with beer options for the big gulp would be helpful.

Shalom Peterson

• Rep: 21
« Reply #45 on: June 29, 2021, 05:37:28 PM »
I've always pondered if Wawa is actually amazing or just decent but by comparison to everything else in nj it just appears to be amazing

It’s overpriced as fuck and the one next to Skatepark of Tampa (the only one I’ve ever been to) doesn’t even sell beef jerky. No slim jims, jack links, etc. Literally the only gas station I’ve seen that doesn’t sell beef jersey

Mesteezo

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Rep: 65
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #46 on: June 29, 2021, 05:47:16 PM »
Anywhere in Maine with those god damn pink hot dogs. I fucking love those things.

Owen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 302
    • My Photos avatar image
« Reply #47 on: June 29, 2021, 07:30:05 PM »
+1 for convenience stores in Japan. They are actually convenient. The food is mostly delicious too.

Convenience stores here in Australia all suck, are absirdly expensive and full of shitty food
Jorts
Anklets
Rat tails
Sling shots
Toe rings
Shuv it tail grabs
Jump ramps

JB

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 857
  • Rusty Berrings Roll Forever
« Reply #48 on: June 30, 2021, 07:08:20 AM »
We don't have shit like this in Michigan. Gas stations are all super basic and you really don't want to eat from them unless it's packaged snacks. Best we've got is beer, liquor and wine at most gas stations. Always thought it was strange that other states have that shit separated.

My favorite convenience store if I had to pick one is Marcus Market in Detroit because it's got the best taco counter in the back. If you're near WSU campus and want some bomb Mexican, get the steak quesadillas (nothing like the American taco bell style). They gave them to me by mistake once and now they're all I order. Dirt cheap too, don't think I've ever spent more than $8 on a meal.

NORTHBYMIDWEST

• Rep: 18
« Reply #49 on: June 30, 2021, 07:37:20 AM »
We don't have shit like this in Michigan. Gas stations are all super basic and you really don't want to eat from them unless it's packaged snacks. Best we've got is beer, liquor and wine at most gas stations. Always thought it was strange that other states have that shit separated.

My favorite convenience store if I had to pick one is Marcus Market in Detroit because it's got the best taco counter in the back. If you're near WSU campus and want some bomb Mexican, get the steak quesadillas (nothing like the American taco bell style). They gave them to me by mistake once and now they're all I order. Dirt cheap too, don't think I've ever spent more than $8 on a meal.

In Houghton, the Krist food mart used to sell sixers of highlife tall boys for under $5 out the door. Shit was legendary. Hot dogs were decent too.

coldbrew

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 404
« Reply #50 on: June 30, 2021, 07:42:40 AM »
Anywhere in Maine with those god damn pink hot dogs. I fucking love those things.

I grew up in Maine so I had no idea that those were only a Maine thing until I moved to PA. I asked my first college roommate if he knew where to get them and he looked at me like I was fucking crazy. I took him to Maine a year or two later and we ate them and dude couldn't get enough of them haha

Jean-Ralphio Zaperstein

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 666
« Reply #51 on: June 30, 2021, 08:14:31 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Japan
[close]
^ this. everything else is a pathetic imitation
[close]

They are all pretty good here. Except family mart, family mart sucks.
Up here in Hokkaido I'm a seicomart man as a general rule. I fuck with mini stop pretty heavily when I'm down on Honshu though

Only Familymart had free wifi in 2017, saved my ass a few times

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1481
  • Illusion Flip
« Reply #52 on: June 30, 2021, 08:26:49 AM »
I just wanted to add that the shell station down the street from my neighborhood has a legit Mexican tacqueria restaurant next to the store and is sharing the same lot. Does this count? I don't know but their food is the only Mexican I eat on the regular and is as close to the food that I got in San Diego near barrio Logan.

Hinna

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 74
« Reply #53 on: June 30, 2021, 04:25:20 PM »
3 spots in the area. i got 1 i go to for beverages only. the other spot is half a smoke shop. then the dollar store though that doesnt really count. spot by the subway station is the furthest and i rarely go there but the old ladys very sweet. at the drink place its basic speech function only

Mesteezo

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Rep: 65
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #54 on: June 30, 2021, 05:00:38 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I grew up in Maine so I had no idea that those were only a Maine thing until I moved to PA. I asked my first college roommate if he knew where to get them and he looked at me like I was fucking crazy. I took him to Maine a year or two later and we ate them and dude couldn't get enough of them haha

Yeah man, I spent a couple of summers couch-hopping around from Bangor to Greenbush, and I pretty much lived off those hotdogs and pizza from On The Run. Good times.

Urtripping

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 524
« Reply #55 on: June 30, 2021, 09:11:53 PM »

Damn s/o Marcus Market, for real. My little brother lived right down the street for a year or two and we'd always get tacos when I visited. They have an excellent selection of snacks and beer/wine/liquor too, if memory serves.
I saw your mommy and your mommy's dead

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 156
« Reply #56 on: July 03, 2021, 05:44:31 PM »

Gas stations in Michigan are lit. I don't what you're talking about.

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

Peter Zagreus

• Rep: 85
« Reply #57 on: July 03, 2021, 10:13:15 PM »
Expand Quote
Buc-ees is the answer.

QuikTrip is legit, but nothing is even close to Buc-ees. The only thing Buc-ees has going against it is that their logo looks like Joey Brezinski.

[close]

This is the only right answer. And I'm from California. But I gotta give it to Texas on this one.

Buc-ees is a fucking unstoppable empire, and I ain't mad. People outside of TX just don't know. These Japanese corner stores sound wonderful, but they're corner stores. Buc-ees are compounds. They're in a category of their own, completely out of the "convenience" category. They're more like Neo-western outposts.

The Drew

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 285
« Reply #58 on: July 05, 2021, 01:32:32 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Japan
[close]
^ this. everything else is a pathetic imitation
[close]

They are all pretty good here. Except family mart, family mart sucks.
Up here in Hokkaido I'm a seicomart man as a general rule. I fuck with mini stop pretty heavily when I'm down on Honshu though
[close]

Only Familymart had free wifi in 2017, saved my ass a few times

I don't like seicomart (it has cheap bento's galore but the パン kinda of sucks)
i probably like daily the best (they have a small bakery at the only one in my town)
Ministop is good too

I am kind of glad there is a 7, mini stop and famima close to where i live... if i lived any further into the mountains conbini runs would be a legit chore

Being vegan in japan has to be difficult @Gay Imp Sausage Metal @cucktard
I don't think i have seen one vegan place in Shizuoka ever (not that i ever go out)

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 120
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #59 on: July 06, 2021, 08:49:15 PM »
@The Drew, it's a lot easier than it was 20 years ago when I first came here, back then the concept didn't even exist here and people thought I was a full-on alien! I'm sure there are lots of macrobiotic places there in there the Shiz which is basically just a whole food plant based Japanese diet but without the animal rights edge to it.

Places like mos burger coco Ichiban curry have non-meat options these days and even convenience stores are stepping up their game and offering stuff like this: https://コンビニダイエット.com/macrobiha-fruitgranola
Natural Lawson also put out a lot of proddy that I can eat!

The biggest change I've personally seen is that the word vegan can actually be heard on mainstream media these days which is something me and the wife always trip out over!

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year