Author Topic: convenience store superiority argument thread  (Read 2513 times)

cky enthusiast

convenience store superiority argument thread
« on: May 04, 2021, 07:36:38 PM »
wawa rules

fuk quikchek

sheetz is ok

AitchBeeGayBuh

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 58
Re: convenience store superiority argument thread
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2021, 07:57:30 PM »
Sheetz nation all day.

Shifty Flip

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 295
  • and the whistle is screaming
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2021, 08:08:41 PM »

GardenSkater77

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1035
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2021, 08:28:51 PM »
wawa rules

fuk quikchek

sheetz is ok

Yo. Don’t be throwing shots over the Delaware son.

7/11 is the home of the Coca-Cola slurpee. Plus they sold Big Brother and Perfect 10 back in the day.

Game, set, match.

fredgallSOTY

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2021, 09:15:06 PM »
wawaaaaa

support ur local corner store tho

TheLurper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 647
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2021, 10:50:17 PM »
QuickTrip for sure.

I want to visit a Buc-ee's though.

QuickStop looks pretty good too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gFoHkkCaRE

Quote from: ChuckRamone
I love when people bring up world hunger. It makes everything meaningless.
"That guy is double parked."
"Who cares? There are people starving to death! Besides, how does that affect you? Does it lessen the joy of parking?

Masshole

• Rep: 23
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2021, 07:19:05 AM »
I've always pondered if Wawa is actually amazing or just decent but by comparison to everything else in nj it just appears to be amazing

GardenSkater77

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2021, 07:34:19 AM »
I've always pondered if Wawa is actually amazing or just decent but by comparison to everything else in nj it just appears to be amazing

Wawa doesn’t sell Moxie so it has one strike against it.

Youoverthere

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2021, 07:42:42 AM »
Royal farms then wawa

it must be crazy when chico sells you something and the tables switch from "give me my money chico" to "giving my money to chico"

HeavyAndExpensive

• Rep: 114
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2021, 08:02:51 AM »
I've only ever frequented Wawa. I guess Royal Farms is ok too. The Wawa yogurt parfaits are great. Haven't tried their new dinner thing yet, but then again I don't order hot food from there often. When I would, I get a sort of poor man's chicken parm sandwich. Always added spinach and roasted red peps.

Freelancevagrant

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1555
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2021, 08:08:41 AM »
Buc-ees is the answer.

QuikTrip is legit, but nothing is even close to Buc-ees. The only thing Buc-ees has going against it is that their logo looks like Joey Brezinski.

Well I have like 9 Andy Anderson dated flight decks.

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2021, 08:21:33 AM »
Wawa is numero uno. Best coffee, best grab and go hot foods, baked goods, best food overall.

Royal farms is second, TBQH I might like them on par with Wawa if they had a better coffee game.

Sheetz has good bathrooms and a great beverage selection, but their coffee sucks and their food is pure novelty unless you're the kind of person who made good on their childhood promise to eat ice cream or a hamburger with pizza on it for dinner every night.

7-11...Ok, sev fucking sucks but their is one right next to my work and was the only thing open during the lockdown. I ate there way too much and have a weird soft spot for their shitty pizza. Also my birthday is 7/11 so it make free slurpee day feel like it is in honor of me.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2021, 08:32:01 AM by FrozenIndustries »

wurfnnjs

• Rep: 0
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2021, 08:33:31 AM »
Royal farms then wawa
This is the way.

coldbrew

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 399
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2021, 08:37:43 AM »
Royal farms then wawa

Beat me to it. Royal Farms chicken is a go to whenever I see one, which isn't as often as I'd like.

TwisT

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1033
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2021, 08:58:35 AM »
around here the best thing we got is racetrac. good hotdogs though.

The quikstop up the street is just a liquor store, and prostitutes and drug dealers hang out over there as well as regular loiterers. It's so fucking weird that people just hang out on the side of the store all day. They'll have chairs, I have even seen them lite a fire and just chill out there in the fall.

lampshade

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 132
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2021, 10:54:19 AM »
They are all fine, not bad, but not great.  Wonderful when you're on the road. 

I just love touch screen ordering. I do not get why every conveinience store/fast food place doesn't use it.  So much better than screaming your order over a counter in a super loud environment.  Just punch in your order info, swipe your card, and wait for your number to be called. Easier for the workers as well.

Uh Oh

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 358
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2021, 11:24:22 AM »
DMV here.
I grew up in the sticks with a Sheetz exactly one mile down the road. Ate so much of their food from childhood into my early 20s. I will always be thankful for Sheetz' service, but have to give it to Wawa.
There's no lingering deep fryer odor, and far less gimmicky. (I would like a sparkling water, not a 'Shparkling Shwater"). Also, their food agrees with my aging body and palate moreso than Sheetz nowadays.

That being said, I currently live outside DC with no convenient access to either now (cruel world) and have to choose between a Shell or a 7/11. Which is a no-brainer.

snowballz

• Rep: -12
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2021, 12:08:22 PM »
Buc-ees is the answer.

QuikTrip is legit, but nothing is even close to Buc-ees. The only thing Buc-ees has going against it is that their logo looks like Joey Brezinski.

This is the only right answer. And I'm from California. But I gotta give it to Texas on this one.

Freelancevagrant

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2021, 12:46:24 PM »
Expand Quote
Buc-ees is the answer.

[close]

This is the only right answer. And I'm from California. But I gotta give it to Texas on this one.

Same dude, being from California and then moving to Texas and experiencing buc-ees for the first time was unreal. It’s like target with 120 gas pumps.

They don’t let big rigs in though, which is kinda fucked. I didn’t think about that aspect of it at all until I got my cdl and realized that’s a major bummer.

GardenSkater77

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2021, 01:35:47 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Buc-ees is the answer.

[close]

[close]

Same dude, being from California and then moving to Texas and experiencing buc-ees for the first time was unreal. It’s like target with 120 gas pumps.

They don’t let big rigs in though, which is kinda fucked. I didn’t think about that aspect of it at all until I got my cdl and realized that’s a major bummer.

If you ever travel rt 80 with your truck you gotta stop in at Sapp Brothers. It is a true truck stop with great breakfast, pie and friendly staff. If I lived near one I would eat there regularly.

https://www.sappbros.net/travel-centers/locations/

Freelancevagrant

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2021, 02:13:03 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Buc-ees is the answer.

[close]

[close]

[close]

If you ever travel rt 80 with your truck you gotta stop in at Sapp Brothers. It is a true truck stop with great breakfast, pie and friendly staff. If I lived near one I would eat there regularly.

https://www.sappbros.net/travel-centers/locations/

Damn, I remember driving by one of those last October, I really regret not stopping. I think it was outside of KC, I was driving a RHD garbage truck (governed at 60 mph with no AC and no stereo) from Del Rio, Texas to Fort Wayne IN.

Coulda used it hahaha

EdLawndale

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1079
    • My Wife avatar image
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2021, 02:38:11 PM »

My problem with the mom and pop convenience stores -- the ones where they don't have prices on the items -- is that some of them want to hit you with a super high price and you're supposed to, like, haggle them down. I've literally had a clerk say to me as I approached the counter, "Ah, Perrier Water! Good Stuff! Six dollars?" I just turned around and put it back in the refrigerator.
"Was just about to say, wtf is up with this EdLawndale guy?"

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2021, 02:51:32 PM »
Japan

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

Mr. Stinky

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 311
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2021, 03:34:25 PM »
No midwesterners here chiming in for the most obscenely named c-store chain of them all, Kum-n-Go?

Coastal Fever

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 495
« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2021, 03:54:00 PM »
Of course you guys have bomb convenience stores with hot food in the states.. in Canada you’re lucky to find a sweaty hotdog in one.  The Circle K Frosters in Ontario kick ass, though.

Pete

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 755
  • Free Max B
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2021, 04:43:05 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

My problem with the mom and pop convenience stores -- the ones where they don't have prices on the items -- is that some of them want to hit you with a super high price and you're supposed to, like, haggle them down. I've literally had a clerk say to me as I approached the counter, "Ah, Perrier Water! Good Stuff! Six dollars?" I just turned around and put it back in the refrigerator.
this is when you put 3 or 4 dollars on the counter and just keep it moving. if youre in a city atleast.

free max b
FREE MAX B

EdLawndale

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1079
    • My Wife avatar image
« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2021, 04:54:46 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
this is when you put 3 or 4 dollars on the counter and just keep it moving. if youre in a city atleast.

I pay $2.50 for that water at the mom and pop shop by my laundromat. On second thought, maybe I missed an opportunity to haggle him down to $1.50 (though I doubt it).
« Last Edit: May 05, 2021, 07:05:43 PM by EdLawndale »
"Was just about to say, wtf is up with this EdLawndale guy?"

numagik

• Rep: 35
« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2021, 07:05:07 PM »
Japan
^ this. everything else is a pathetic imitation

pugmaster

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1536
  • Overweight and Underprepared
« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2021, 10:21:13 PM »
It’s 7:12 AM and you are fresh out of the shower with the scent of the inexpensive hotel soap still on your (now dried out) skin with a kinked neck from a night spent on an unfamiliar mattress and unforgiving pillows.

But, you know fully well that you better hit the road if you plan on getting from Wichita to San Antonio by sundown, so you take the remaining shampoo, conditioner, and unused lotion from the hotel room and head on your way.

The previous night's travels were uneventful, but you certainly had to burn the midnight oil to make it into Wichita by midnight. Exhausted from your travels, you ate what was left of your teriyaki beef jerky and decided to hit the hay so you could get an early start in the morning (pronounced: mernin’).

Now it's early morning (mernin’) and you're realizing that you've got to pay the Piper and get some grub down your gullet. Realizin’ the fact that you've got another full day on the road, the decision to fuel up for the day’s festivities seems to be the most logical choice.

Just as your vehicle requires a full tank of gasoline, your carriage requires a full tank of man-fuel, so you saunter into the truck stop bleary-eyed and ready for some sustenance.  That all so familiar jingle-jangle of the bell on the door serves as a friendly “hello”, even though there is no hostess to greet you.

“Please wait to be seated” you read as you watch a waitress in her mid-forties, likely on her second or third marriage, take a food order from some regular customers.  They engage in some friendly banter and you notice she calls each one of them “sugar” as she takes their order.  Eventually, she takes their menus and sends their orders to the kitchen.

“How many?”, she asks.

“Uhhh, just one please.”, you reply.

“Right this way sugar.”, she replies, which you silently resent her for.

“Coffee?”

“Yes, please.”

“Cream and sugar, sugar?”, she asks.

“Just cream.”, you reply, refusing to give her the satisfaction of hearing you say “sugar”.

She returns to provide you with coffee and takes your order.  Given that the night before your dinner could most be accurately defined as “meager” if using an Oregon Trail description, you order the quintessential truck stop breakfast.  Biscuits and gravy, eggs over easy, hash browns (crispy), bacon, sausage, and pancakes.

The meal really hits the spot, despite the disingenuous use of “sugar” by the waitress. The service is good and she provides you with the check promptly.  You tip her 20%, despite her unknown transgressions. 

The jingle-jangle as you exit provides you with the storied book end to this chapter of your truck stop breakfast experience.  You get in your truck, start your engine, and begin that long trek to San An-tonio.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I lived in the Midwest for years and miss Quik-trip.  Now back in CA, I do like AM/PM for the low-quality burgers, as they remind me of the burgers from free lunch during my school-aged years.

However, I think the truck stop experience is unable to be topped. They are coupled with a convenience store that also has so many wacky American truck stop trinkets that we can only hope that these places are documented somewhere in history for future generations to understand the overall outlandish nature of America during this time.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2021, 02:02:48 PM by pugmaster »
"...We got the nuclear worm over here..."

Never forget:
Rusty_Berrings, 360 frip, Yapple Dapple, Bubblegum Tate

Doom patrol

• Rep: 70
« Reply #29 on: May 06, 2021, 05:30:56 AM »
Expand Quote
Japan
[close]
^ this. everything else is a pathetic imitation

They are all pretty good here. Except family mart, family mart sucks.
Up here in Hokkaido I'm a seicomart man as a general rule. I fuck with mini stop pretty heavily when I'm down on Honshu though