Author Topic: AVE green bench saga (quartersnacks)  (Read 16240 times)

stephop

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -377
Re: AVE green bench saga (quartersnacks)
« Reply #60 on: May 05, 2021, 10:54:04 AM »
That was entertaining as fuck

Jean-Ralphio Zaperstein

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 660
« Reply #61 on: May 05, 2021, 11:24:01 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Timeout.

Haven’t we been shitting on Bera for over a decade for essentially doing to same thing with the yellow flatbars?
[close]

A moveable street obstacle and a skatepark obstacle are very different things.
[close]

Is it though? His boy was making a replica of one so he could get a trick.
[close]

Good time to dig up this meme I made a while back

[close]

[close]

Well, It was pretty clear from the footage that AVE hat found and moved the bench, while berra did everything he could to disguise the fact that he had built the loading dock spot himself. Berra tried to lie to everyone.

This fact makes AVE‘s Clip cool and Berra‘s Clips in the DVS Video  pretty wack.

Marc Johnson had a bunch of tricks on a ledge he built himself in his epic Lakai part. Nobody complained because they also showed a short timelapse of him building the ledge. It was made transparent he was skating an „artificial“ ledge.

Absolutely agreed

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 518
« Reply #62 on: May 05, 2021, 11:32:05 AM »
This is dope because he never bought this bench to the back of sawcon.

Masshole

• Rep: 23
« Reply #63 on: May 05, 2021, 12:17:52 PM »
I love videos and articles that show a skaters dedication and love for a specific spot/obstacle, makes guys like AVE doing tricks I could never dream of doing seem a lot more relatable, few outside of skateboarding would understand a relationship with an inanimate object like this

Nancy Chin The Manicurist

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 222
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #64 on: May 05, 2021, 12:45:37 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Timeout.

Haven’t we been shitting on Bera for over a decade for essentially doing to same thing with the yellow flatbars?
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Well, It was pretty clear from the footage that AVE hat found and moved the bench, while berra did everything he could to disguise the fact that he had built the loading dock spot himself. Berra tried to lie to everyone.

This fact makes AVE‘s Clip cool and Berra‘s Clips in the DVS Video  pretty wack.

Marc Johnson had a bunch of tricks on a ledge he built himself in his epic Lakai part. Nobody complained because they also showed a short timelapse of him building the ledge. It was made transparent he was skating an „artificial“ ledge.
[close]

Absolutely agreed

Ding ding ding

Why this even needs to be explained in 2021 is baffling. Should be pretty obvious at this point.

sometimeperhaps

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 142
« Reply #65 on: May 05, 2021, 12:47:11 PM »
That was entertaining as fuck

For real. I’d like to see more segments about this type of behind the scenes stuff.

From a brand perspective I find I get more hyped on a segment like this than of a random footage dump.

This Charming Bat

• Rep: 11
« Reply #66 on: May 05, 2021, 12:55:20 PM »
Big fan of the AA cameo with the still photos.

exlurker

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 546
« Reply #67 on: May 05, 2021, 01:05:28 PM »
This whole thing feels like SLAP fan fiction. AVE defeats the villanous Tosh Townsend and Tony Tave with a critical assist from Andrew Allen. The only thing that would make it more fan-fictiony is if Fred Gall was somehow involved, perhaps using the bench to save a baby from a fire at some point while on bath salts. And that baby? Nora Vasconcellos.

Jean-Ralphio Zaperstein

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 660
« Reply #68 on: May 05, 2021, 01:18:07 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Timeout.

[close]

[close]

[close]

[/url]
[close]

[close]

[close]

Absolutely agreed
[close]

Ding ding ding

Why this even needs to be explained in 2021 is baffling. Should be pretty obvious at this point.

I was hoping we could joke around exactly because it's so obvious

Big_Dingus

• Rep: 5
« Reply #69 on: May 05, 2021, 01:20:41 PM »
I really want to be one of AVE's boys.

Blueabyssofthisss

« Reply #70 on: May 05, 2021, 01:36:56 PM »
You can take the bench out of the streets but you’ll never take the streets out of the bench

Speedway

• Rep: 108
« Reply #71 on: May 05, 2021, 02:11:38 PM »
Easy Pals.

Stoked on the response to this. It was a lot of fun to work on.

To answer the question which has popped up a few times: the copy of the bench that AVE got built cost around 1,300 bucks and was pretty much spot on except it ended up being about foot longer.

The audio for this was about 20 minutes long so some stuff that wasn’t so important got cut in the name of concision, ha.

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 283
« Reply #72 on: May 05, 2021, 02:19:03 PM »
Easy Pals.

To answer the question which has popped up a few times: the copy of the bench that AVE got built cost around 1,300 bucks and was pretty much spot on except it ended up being about foot longer.

The audio for this was about 20 minutes long so some stuff that wasn’t so important got cut in the name of concision, ha.

So we’ll get a rough cut/B-sides edit with the full 20 sometime?

fried

• Rep: 49
« Reply #73 on: May 05, 2021, 02:27:56 PM »
This was so good. Now I want an AVE bunt interview

144p

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1020
    • 35th Ave Skates avatar image
« Reply #74 on: May 05, 2021, 02:44:30 PM »
A part of the story was told to me years ago by Aaron Artis, he said he and Wes Lott took the bench and kept it at Wes's house, and at some point got stolen by another skater from a spot they left it at.
I believe Aaron is in the footage with the cops at the foundation spot.
I might be mis remembering our conversation but that's How my brain recalls it.

figureitout

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -138
« Reply #75 on: May 05, 2021, 04:03:35 PM »
Really enjoyed this piece, unlikely love story ending in divorce twice.

At least the original bench was a real piece of street furniture and didn't have a Prudential sign fastened to the side of it.   

Christmas Complete

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 813
  • You better shut up, Don
« Reply #76 on: May 05, 2021, 04:09:57 PM »
Easy Pals.

Highly entertaining. Do you have any similar projects lined up?
Andy Anderson, I cannot sanction your buffoonery.

Fhk

« Reply #77 on: May 05, 2021, 04:35:43 PM »
This was great and Ave is cool as fuck.

sharkin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 481
« Reply #78 on: May 05, 2021, 04:42:21 PM »
What an incredibly entertaining 8 minutes about park furniture.

Skateboarding provides endless stories

Madam, I'm Adam

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1359
« Reply #79 on: May 05, 2021, 04:49:29 PM »
I wasn't disappointed. I wonder where the second one he had made is.

VHS ERA

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 210
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #80 on: May 05, 2021, 05:08:16 PM »
this series fucks. Not sure if the first one with Hjalte was posted but here it is
https://youtu.be/PrNf6FnhkXw

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1035
« Reply #81 on: May 05, 2021, 05:16:22 PM »
This whole thing feels like SLAP fan fiction. AVE defeats the villanous Tosh Townsend and Tony Tave with a critical assist from Andrew Allen. The only thing that would make it more fan-fictiony is if Fred Gall was somehow involved, perhaps using the bench to save a baby from a fire at some point while on bath salts. And that baby? Nora Vasconcellos.

In and around 2002 my homie living in Edison NJ said he skated a ledge that was presumably stolen from Fred Gall’s driveway. If true I would love a segment about Fred hunting down his missing ledge. Imagine being that big an asshole that you steal Fred’s ledge from his property.

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 247
« Reply #82 on: May 05, 2021, 05:28:57 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
"we would chain all that shit together because it would get stolen, or somebody would do something better than you did."

Taking a bench, then claiming it as your own, bringing it spots, for only you to skate it, is wack.
[close]
If this was anyone but AVE people would be talking about how wack it is. Idc either way, but keep the same energy.

The dedication to one bench is hilarious though. Moving it, finding it after 13+ years, building a new one, getting the second one AND the rebuilt one. I want to skate this bench now
[close]

It’s also weird to think who out there would be doing tricks better than sw fs crooks flip out back then that Ave was worried about
haha, just goes to show how you underestimate how self-conscious people are even if they are insanely talented. Outside of like P-Rod, MJ, or PJ Ladd, it is pretty hard to think of someone from that era who would have had something that could top it, and no one is doing it the speed/style Ave did.

Owen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 296
    • My Photos avatar image
« Reply #83 on: May 05, 2021, 05:48:31 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
"we would chain all that shit together because it would get stolen, or somebody would do something better than you did."

Taking a bench, then claiming it as your own, bringing it spots, for only you to skate it, is wack.
[close]
If this was anyone but AVE people would be talking about how wack it is. Idc either way, but keep the same energy.

The dedication to one bench is hilarious though. Moving it, finding it after 13+ years, building a new one, getting the second one AND the rebuilt one. I want to skate this bench now
[close]

It’s also weird to think who out there would be doing tricks better than sw fs crooks flip out back then that Ave was worried about
[close]
haha, just goes to show how you underestimate how self-conscious people are even if they are insanely talented. Outside of like P-Rod, MJ, or PJ Ladd, it is pretty hard to think of someone from that era who would have had something that could top it, and no one is doing it the speed/style Ave did.

Didnt Koston do switch nosegrind half cab flip out on it in Yeah Right?
Jorts
Anklets
Rat tails
Sling shots
Toe rings
Shuv it tail grabs
Jump ramps

pbj

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 20
« Reply #84 on: May 05, 2021, 06:04:23 PM »
one of the best clips from last year, cool to know the story behind it is so good.
thought it looked familiar but didn't realize it was the same bench from the DC/Mosaic days

RoaryMcTwang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 411
« Reply #85 on: May 05, 2021, 06:22:40 PM »
How the fuck has AVE still not slowed down even one bit

funeral_tuxedo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1137
  • old and in the way
« Reply #86 on: May 05, 2021, 07:40:55 PM »
5:21 the bench is stolen.

http://youtu.be/IQvRXh6gj5s

@Sweeps thank you for posting this video. It awesome to look back to that era and re-experience how sick Rob Dyrdek's skating was. He even made a fs halfcab heelflip look pretty nice. Ave is one of the all time greats and probably anything involving  his skating is a precious commodity/experience.
I wonder how come nobody ever sat him down and told Berra that he's not a talented thespian? He's almost painfully unappealing to watch in that regard. He's a rad skater but yikes. Or am I way off and people find him entertaining and charismatic?
@Speedway thank you for doing this video. Please do more. I would definitely buy a QS Ave bench tee shirt or hat to  support the cause <3
« Last Edit: May 05, 2021, 08:32:42 PM by funeral_tuxedo »

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1888
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #87 on: May 05, 2021, 08:16:16 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

@Sweeps thank you for posting this video. It awesome to look back to that era and re-experience how sick Rob Dyrdeck's skating was. He even made a fs halfcab heelflip look pretty nice. Ave is one of the all time greats and probably anything involving  his skating is a precious commodity/experience.
I wonder how come nobody ever sat him down and told Berra that he's not a talented thespian? He's almost painfully unappealing to watch in that regard. He's a rad skater but yikes. Or am I way off and people find him entertaining and charismatic?
@Speedway thank you for doing this video. Please do more. I would definitely buy a QS Ave bench tee shirt or hat to  support the cause <3

Damn AVE's pad is huge. Always like his original shoe on DC, slim by 2000s standards but made you believe you could do some amazing switch 360 flips.

Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

funeral_tuxedo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1137
  • old and in the way
« Reply #88 on: May 05, 2021, 08:36:56 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

@Sweeps thank you for posting this video. It awesome to look back to that era and re-experience how sick Rob Dyrdeck's skating was. He even made a fs halfcab heelflip look pretty nice. Ave is one of the all time greats and probably anything involving  his skating is a precious commodity/experience.
[close]

Damn AVE's pad is huge. Always like his original shoe on DC, slim by 2000s standards but made you believe you could do some amazing switch 360 flips.

The one AVE does in Berra's old park at 9:29 is perfect. The way he whips/fast wraps them and how they come right up leveled to his feet is that beautiful mix of aggression and precision.

hartt3

• Rep: 5
« Reply #89 on: May 05, 2021, 10:22:36 PM »
love ave he looks like a serial killer on most of his roll aways.. tht switch bigflip attempt was sick