Author Topic: AVE green bench saga (quartersnacks)  (Read 16235 times)

hartt3

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 5
Re: AVE green bench saga (quartersnacks)
« Reply #90 on: May 05, 2021, 10:24:48 PM »
in skating you cant be a scientologist and skate heavily altered spots one must choose a path

too fakie

• Rep: 63
« Reply #91 on: May 05, 2021, 10:35:54 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
"we would chain all that shit together because it would get stolen, or somebody would do something better than you did."

Taking a bench, then claiming it as your own, bringing it spots, for only you to skate it, is wack.
[close]
If this was anyone but AVE people would be talking about how wack it is. Idc either way, but keep the same energy.

The dedication to one bench is hilarious though. Moving it, finding it after 13+ years, building a new one, getting the second one AND the rebuilt one. I want to skate this bench now
[close]

It’s also weird to think who out there would be doing tricks better than sw fs crooks flip out back then that Ave was worried about

Koston did switch nosegrind halfcab flip out in Yeah Right. Can’t think of anything else off the top of my head that is close to Ave’s trick.

While we’re on the subject, the one he does in Propeller on the table was as perfect as a trick could be.

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 281
« Reply #92 on: May 05, 2021, 10:38:43 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
5:21 the bench is stolen.

http://youtu.be/IQvRXh6gj5s
[close]

@Sweeps thank you for posting this video. It awesome to look back to that era and re-experience how sick Rob Dyrdeck's skating was. He even made a fs halfcab heelflip look pretty nice. Ave is one of the all time greats and probably anything involving  his skating is a precious commodity/experience.
I wonder how come nobody ever sat him down and told Berra that he's not a talented thespian? He's almost painfully unappealing to watch in that regard. He's a rad skater but yikes. Or am I way off and people find him entertaining and charismatic?
@Speedway thank you for doing this video. Please do more. I would definitely buy a QS Ave bench tee shirt or hat to  support the cause <3
[close]

Damn AVE's pad is huge. Always like his original shoe on DC, slim by 2000s standards but made you believe you could do some amazing switch 360 flips.

That is his second shoe.  His first one is a beaut, but apparently very brick like

smokecrack

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -160
« Reply #93 on: May 06, 2021, 12:44:56 AM »
So this bench was first stolen by Tony Turbo, then by Tosh Townend and eventually ended up with Tony Tave.

You can't make this shit up 😂

Speedway

• Rep: 108
« Reply #94 on: May 06, 2021, 01:15:36 AM »
Expand Quote
Easy Pals.

Stoked on the response to this. It was a lot of fun to work on.

To answer the question which has popped up a few times: the copy of the bench that AVE got built cost around 1,300 bucks and was pretty much spot on except it ended up being about foot longer.

The audio for this was about 20 minutes long so some stuff that wasn’t so important got cut in the name of concision, ha.
[close]

Highly entertaining. Do you have any similar projects lined up?

Yeah, I've got another couple of these 'Favourite Spot' pieces in mind and I'm hoping to make a start on the next one soonish.

In the meantime, here's the first one I did with Gilbert.

Thanks again to everyone for the kind words.

x

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k54_One0KCc&t=18s

Speedway

• Rep: 108
« Reply #95 on: May 06, 2021, 01:18:57 AM »
Green Bench aside, I also talked to AVE for QS about where he feels his career is at post-40, the 'Mind Field' days, F.A. and his friendship with Greg Hunt.

"If you’re given a gift and you’re able to fully realize it, then you fucking did it.

Still, it doesn’t take away from me wanting — you know, “what’s my best now?” Like I said, this last video part was a lot of fun. It had its moments, but I enjoy a certain amount of suffering. Yet, there wasn’t that thing which drove me in the past either." – AVE on his career, post-Propeller.

https://quartersnacks.com/2021/05/an-interview-with-anthony-van-engelen/

Michelle Obama

• Rep: 3
« Reply #96 on: May 06, 2021, 03:06:01 AM »
Loved this!

Now I wanna see something done on both benches joined together

metsuri

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -29
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #97 on: May 06, 2021, 05:29:37 AM »
Green Bench aside, I also talked to AVE for QS about where he feels his career is at post-40, the 'Mind Field' days, F.A. and his friendship with Greg Hunt.

"If you’re given a gift and you’re able to fully realize it, then you fucking did it.

Still, it doesn’t take away from me wanting — you know, “what’s my best now?” Like I said, this last video part was a lot of fun. It had its moments, but I enjoy a certain amount of suffering. Yet, there wasn’t that thing which drove me in the past either." – AVE on his career, post-Propeller.

https://quartersnacks.com/2021/05/an-interview-with-anthony-van-engelen/

This is awesome! And so was the bench video.

Jud Nestorkins

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -59
  • Only YOU can prevent corporate espionage.
« Reply #98 on: May 06, 2021, 05:57:35 AM »
Heart breaking that  the maintenance dudes just got rid of it. It's skating history. It'd be like throwing away Jimmy Page's guitar or something haha.

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 247
« Reply #99 on: May 06, 2021, 07:41:52 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
"we would chain all that shit together because it would get stolen, or somebody would do something better than you did."

Taking a bench, then claiming it as your own, bringing it spots, for only you to skate it, is wack.
[close]
If this was anyone but AVE people would be talking about how wack it is. Idc either way, but keep the same energy.

The dedication to one bench is hilarious though. Moving it, finding it after 13+ years, building a new one, getting the second one AND the rebuilt one. I want to skate this bench now
[close]

It’s also weird to think who out there would be doing tricks better than sw fs crooks flip out back then that Ave was worried about
[close]
haha, just goes to show how you underestimate how self-conscious people are even if they are insanely talented. Outside of like P-Rod, MJ, or PJ Ladd, it is pretty hard to think of someone from that era who would have had something that could top it, and no one is doing it the speed/style Ave did.
[close]

Didnt Koston do switch nosegrind half cab flip out on it in Yeah Right?
Yeah, he did, should have mentioned it, and I'm sure Daewon would have had something crazy for it. But, its a small as hell list of guys who would get something comparable to Ave's trick on it.

Francis Xavier

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2137
« Reply #100 on: May 06, 2021, 08:06:02 AM »
Expand Quote
This whole thing feels like SLAP fan fiction. AVE defeats the villanous Tosh Townsend and Tony Tave with a critical assist from Andrew Allen. The only thing that would make it more fan-fictiony is if Fred Gall was somehow involved, perhaps using the bench to save a baby from a fire at some point while on bath salts. And that baby? Nora Vasconcellos.
[close]

In and around 2002 my homie living in Edison NJ said he skated a ledge that was presumably stolen from Fred Gall’s driveway. If true I would love a segment about Fred hunting down his missing ledge. Imagine being that big an asshole that you steal Fred’s ledge from his property.
This is actually the plot to the next John Wick movie. "They stole Fred's ledge and killed his dog"

Damn I left my bubbler at my parents house

listentoaheartbeat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 187
« Reply #101 on: May 06, 2021, 08:12:53 AM »
Haha, wow. Best skate content I have seen in a while. Loved every second of it.

the canadian suit

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 145
  • Always lurking.
« Reply #102 on: May 13, 2021, 03:44:48 PM »
Finally watched this and it was so fucking great!! AVE is a good seed man. I’m glad he got his fucking bench
p-shuvs and v-flips

funeral_tuxedo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1137
  • old and in the way
« Reply #103 on: May 13, 2021, 06:01:57 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Easy Pals.

Stoked on the response to this. It was a lot of fun to work on.

To answer the question which has popped up a few times: the copy of the bench that AVE got built cost around 1,300 bucks and was pretty much spot on except it ended up being about foot longer.

The audio for this was about 20 minutes long so some stuff that wasn’t so important got cut in the name of concision, ha.
[close]

Highly entertaining. Do you have any similar projects lined up?
[close]

Yeah, I've got another couple of these 'Favourite Spot' pieces in mind and I'm hoping to make a start on the next one soonish.

In the meantime, here's the first one I did with Gilbert.

Thanks again to everyone for the kind words.

x

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k54_One0KCc&t=18s

@Speedway pure gold. Please keep these coming.

muntcuscle

• Rep: 44
« Reply #104 on: May 13, 2021, 07:57:06 PM »
this series fucks. Not sure if the first one with Hjalte was posted but here it is
https://youtu.be/PrNf6FnhkXw

i love this vid too... what he says about that spot being harder than it looks is absolutely true. I was there in 2016 and was definitely humbled. copenhagen is such a sick city

coneklr

« Reply #105 on: May 14, 2021, 11:32:08 AM »
I regret not buying the oiled black suede AV Classics so much

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #106 on: May 14, 2021, 12:07:16 PM »
Recommendation for next entry: Max Palmer and his fountain firecracker spot

elbarto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 34
« Reply #107 on: May 15, 2021, 07:53:04 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Timeout.

Haven’t we been shitting on Bera for over a decade for essentially doing to same thing with the yellow flatbars?
[close]

A moveable street obstacle and a skatepark obstacle are very different things.
[close]

Is it though? His boy was making a replica of one so he could get a trick.
[close]

But they didn't go through with the replica. And even if they did, it's not like that would have made it  any easier to skate. And even if it WAS easier to skate, we're talking a single clip compared to multiple parts of stock tricks from a guy who had private training facilities for the majority of his career. I get your point but it's a huge reach to say both things are the same.

Wait but they did ?? He says in the video that now he has two of the fuckin things. So while he did film his ender on the original, he still followed through with making the new one too.
“I’ll whoop your ass with my arm out of socket”

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #108 on: May 15, 2021, 08:18:44 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Timeout.

Haven’t we been shitting on Bera for over a decade for essentially doing to same thing with the yellow flatbars?
[close]

[close]

[close]

But they didn't go through with the replica. And even if they did, it's not like that would have made it  any easier to skate. And even if it WAS easier to skate, we're talking a single clip compared to multiple parts of stock tricks from a guy who had private training facilities for the majority of his career. I get your point but it's a huge reach to say both things are the same.
[close]

Wait but they did ?? He says in the video that now he has two of the fuckin things. So while he did film his ender on the original, he still followed through with making the new one too.

It was being made and he paid for it or was on the hook for it.  I doubt he could just cancel it

Nosferatu

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 684
« Reply #109 on: May 15, 2021, 11:29:49 PM »
This is all just marketing. I heard green bench replicas are going up on the site for $3k each next week.
I thought it wasnt just him solo, shouldve stuck with my og thought.
R.I.P Rusty. One of us.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #110 on: May 15, 2021, 11:55:10 PM »
This is all just marketing. I heard green bench replicas are going up on the site for $3k each next week.

Just like all furniture, it’s the shipping costs that’ll get you

pro club blanks

« Reply #111 on: May 16, 2021, 09:48:47 AM »
In bench we trust

elbarto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 34
« Reply #112 on: May 16, 2021, 09:54:22 AM »

Slap the ‘Preme logo on and I’m in
“I’ll whoop your ass with my arm out of socket”

mattchew

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 355
« Reply #113 on: May 16, 2021, 09:58:10 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Timeout.

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

It was being made and he paid for it or was on the hook for it.  I doubt he could just cancel it

Now when he’s old and retired and he can park his ass down on the OG with a greasy slice of pie and say “yep, I switch back noseblunted this bitch”
P R E P A R E  T O  T I M E C O D E

Síota

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 759
« Reply #114 on: May 16, 2021, 11:15:49 AM »
That was great !
@Speedway  please do HDV at some point.

Stoprockboi

• Rep: -9
« Reply #115 on: May 16, 2021, 01:58:08 PM »
Dang this is pretty sick

AsianVegan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 95
« Reply #116 on: May 16, 2021, 07:01:10 PM »

Dill bench appreesh

frenchbread

• Rep: 0
« Reply #117 on: May 17, 2021, 11:19:35 AM »
would love to see puig skate one of these

Rockin Robbin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 416
« Reply #118 on: March 29, 2022, 11:21:48 AM »
Shamelessly bumping this because it's still such a fun watch on a weekday morning.

"Bake me a pie of love" - Steve Winwood

Cool Ceith

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 615
  • Did someone say sassy?
« Reply #119 on: March 29, 2022, 12:42:18 PM »
Shamelessly bumping this because it's still such a fun watch on a weekday morning.

I love videos like this! I'm still tripping on how much work goes on behind the scenes that we would be clueless about if it weren't for sites like quartersnacks  :-*