Author Topic: Spray on vs paint on lacquer  (Read 671 times)

Allen.

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 714
    • Cigarettes for Cardio avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Spray on vs paint on lacquer
« on: October 16, 2022, 08:55:18 AM »
does application of Dr Salba’s Sauce make any difference in how the ledge skates
For someone w.no signature ur awfully hostile, & that is why I do this

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1100
Re: Spray on vs paint on lacquer
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2022, 09:36:51 AM »
Some kind of finishing stone combined with lacquer or a clear spray paint absolutely makes a difference, but depending on the surface (as we all know from experience skating your local ledge or curb at age 13) enough wax and grinding attempts can do the exact same thing. Too much lacquer can be a problem - unsurprisingly, skaters seem to lack the patience to do multiple coats and allow for proper curing time. I don’t think the issue of spray vs. other applications matters much. My local curb spot was heavily lacquered with roll on and it seems as fine as ones I spray lacquered.

An alternative to paint and lacquer which I discovered through some Indy videos and which has been discussed here at length is to use concrete sealer. I got a giant tub for $30 - enough that I cannot imagine ever running out. It paints or rolls on easily, dries faster than the alternatives, and works as well or better. But the biggest advantage to my mind will always be the fact that you no longer deal with a spray paint can, whose distinct sound and appearance sends up alarms across the urban and suburban environment. Someone here suggest Behr Wet Look Sealant 985 from Home Depot and that’s what I’ve been using to great success.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

biaherl

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 263
    • Why So Sad avatar image
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2022, 10:47:01 AM »
Paint on with a brush or roller. goes on thicker, last longer, no dead cans and no tagger finger

Allen.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 714
    • Cigarettes for Cardio avatar image
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2022, 12:31:01 PM »
But the biggest advantage to my mind will always be the fact that you no longer deal with a spray paint can, whose distinct sound and appearance sends up alarms across the urban and suburban environment.

This is the exact reason I created this topic. After years of rub bricking & clear coating in broad day in Detroit, literally anywhere else feels like I’m about to get five stars in GTA once they hear the rattle/can. Thanks for the responses folks
For someone w.no signature ur awfully hostile, & that is why I do this

sacking rails

• Rep: -222
  • sacking rails
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2022, 02:35:42 PM »
why cant we just go back to carls jr cups

Freelancevagrant

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1560
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2022, 02:40:02 PM »
Get yourself a can of turbo concrete sealer and never look back.
Well I have like 9 Andy Anderson dated flight decks.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 673
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2022, 08:09:22 AM »
My friend and I tried to spray a curb recently and it was so windy that it wasnt able to cure properly at all. my friend went ot the Army Surplus store and got some clearance paint for hella cheap and rolled it on and it works really well even in the windy conditions.

i am curious about this concrete wet sealer, 4L is $45 Canadian (so $30 us sounds comparable) i normally only get like 2-3 ledges at most out of a $12 can of lacquer

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1100
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2022, 06:32:11 AM »
My friend and I tried to spray a curb recently and it was so windy that it wasnt able to cure properly at all. my friend went ot the Army Surplus store and got some clearance paint for hella cheap and rolled it on and it works really well even in the windy conditions.

i am curious about this concrete wet sealer, 4L is $45 Canadian (so $30 us sounds comparable) i normally only get like 2-3 ledges at most out of a $12 can of lacquer

I’ve done maybe five or six curbs and ledges with sealant and I’ve used maybe like 5% of the jug. That’s with two application and varying lengths of curbs. It’s a much, much better value than spray paint or lacquer.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021