Author Topic: Ankle Destruction  (Read 4814 times)

rawbertson.

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 651
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Re: Ankle Destruction
« Reply #30 on: June 25, 2021, 06:29:36 AM »
What's the brand Rawb?

sorry i forgot about this thread
the brand was Solei
ONTARIO CANADA

Acky Jacky

« Reply #31 on: June 29, 2021, 02:45:11 PM »
Does anyone have experience with an ATFL ligament sprain/tear? I’m starting to think I have this type of injury.

I’ll save the stories, but this particular sprain is concerning/different because my ankle feels relatively alright, the same way it would if it were moderately sprained. It is my pushing foot, so I would venture to say I can even Ollie, etc, with minimal pain assuming I land normally.

But, if I bend the wrong way even briefly, I get a horrible shooting pain. It doesn’t seem like it’s healing at a good pace, although there’s not any bruising or profound swelling.

I did ask my podiatrist about it, but as you can imagine, he pointed out there were no fractures in an X-ray, and told me for sprains to stabilize the ankle in a brace.

I’ve given up the though of skating for a while, but don’t quite know what to expect for healing this thing .

UrbanSombrero

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 4
« Reply #32 on: July 04, 2021, 08:32:20 AM »
Does anyone have experience with an ATFL ligament sprain/tear? I’m starting to think I have this type of injury.

I’ll save the stories, but this particular sprain is concerning/different because my ankle feels relatively alright, the same way it would if it were moderately sprained. It is my pushing foot, so I would venture to say I can even Ollie, etc, with minimal pain assuming I land normally.

But, if I bend the wrong way even briefly, I get a horrible shooting pain. It doesn’t seem like it’s healing at a good pace, although there’s not any bruising or profound swelling.

I did ask my podiatrist about it, but as you can imagine, he pointed out there were no fractures in an X-ray, and told me for sprains to stabilize the ankle in a brace.

I’ve given up the though of skating for a while, but don’t quite know what to expect for healing this thing .

This sounds a lot like what I've been dealing with the last few months. I landed weird on 360 flip, thought I sprained it but it never bruised or swelled up like usual when I roll it. Took a couple days off it was sore but I was mostly able to skate with minor pain. It then started to get worse to the point I couldn't push without pain. I went to a physical therapist it helped a little but I wasn't ever able to skate for more than 30 mins. Everytime I landed on my tip toes it would flare up and I would be done. Mainly heelflips would do this.

Finally saw a podiatrist like you x-rays negative but he did see some arthritis in the ankle joint. Diagnosis was anterior ankle impingement, he gave me a round of steroids and a brace to skate in. The steroids really helped a lot, I'm now able to skate relatively pain free, my confidence is shot but I'm able to pretty much skate as long as I want without pain. I still have pain in the joint but it is slightly better everyday, just very slow. The podiatrist said a steroid injection into the joint is an option if this doesn't get better on its own. If that doesn't resolve a scope to clean up the joint would be needed.

This was my pushing/popping ankle. It's been 3 months of dealing with this. I can skate but still feel off. Fakie tricks and backside scoop tricks feel like shit still. Everything else feels ok.

Sorry for the long ass post. Good luck hope it gets better.

Acky Jacky

« Reply #33 on: July 06, 2021, 08:05:31 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

This sounds a lot like what I've been dealing with the last few months. I landed weird on 360 flip, thought I sprained it but it never bruised or swelled up like usual when I roll it. Took a couple days off it was sore but I was mostly able to skate with minor pain. It then started to get worse to the point I couldn't push without pain. I went to a physical therapist it helped a little but I wasn't ever able to skate for more than 30 mins. Everytime I landed on my tip toes it would flare up and I would be done. Mainly heelflips would do this.

Finally saw a podiatrist like you x-rays negative but he did see some arthritis in the ankle joint. Diagnosis was anterior ankle impingement, he gave me a round of steroids and a brace to skate in. The steroids really helped a lot, I'm now able to skate relatively pain free, my confidence is shot but I'm able to pretty much skate as long as I want without pain. I still have pain in the joint but it is slightly better everyday, just very slow. The podiatrist said a steroid injection into the joint is an option if this doesn't get better on its own. If that doesn't resolve a scope to clean up the joint would be needed.

This was my pushing/popping ankle. It's been 3 months of dealing with this. I can skate but still feel off. Fakie tricks and backside scoop tricks feel like shit still. Everything else feels ok.

Sorry for the long ass post. Good luck hope it gets better.

Thanks for sharing your experience. The podiatrist told me he saw arthritis around my ankle as well, but was pretty blasé about it. I was there for a problem with my foot unrelated to skateboarding (I guess I have something called metatarsus adductes, which doesn’t help with ankle stability). For that, he suggested custom inserts. Surgery would be costly and a lengthy recovery.

This is the first ankle injury since a high sprain sprain over 15 years ago in which I can remember the healing feeling so slow. I think my best bet is going to be not skating at all for a while, and working on strengthening this bitch.

I’ll report back in a while and hopefully I can report progress. If I’m able to see a doctor again, I may ask about steroid shots, but I’m gonna hope for some natural healing in the meantime.

listentoaheartbeat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 187
« Reply #34 on: July 06, 2021, 09:41:50 AM »
I’ve had some bad ankle injuries in recent years, worst one took a year to fully recover. Last one took me out for two months last summer. I feel like I’ve now found my recipe, been skating really intense lately with a lot of stability and confidence.

• Took me a while, but now that I am down 26 lbs, I believe loosing any overweight is essential. Reduces stress on the joints, improves balance and agility.
  • Exercising and stretching, including balance board. I’ve found a routine that I can do at home in either 15 or 30 minutes, so if I feel I don’t have time I can do at least the short version.
  • Warming up and stretching before sessions. I mostly cruise around first and stretch once I start sweating. Also trying to get into jump rope as an alternative.
  • Hi/mid-tops and/or supports like these, but only during proper sessions. Doc says wearing them too often weakens the joints. Same goes for stronger supports, not recommended unless one is recovering from an injury.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2021, 01:03:35 PM by listentoaheartbeat »

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 595
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #35 on: July 25, 2021, 07:25:50 AM »
2 months later and I am back here again.

I realized most of my ankle rolls are when I land too far on the side rails of my board and my toes touch the ground.

I am a 7.5 US shoe size and ride 8.18 decks. Maybe it will be better for me when I size up?

Got a brown bomber (8.86) for lazy days and wanted to go up to 8.25 next, but yeah gotta take a break from skating again and be sad.
IG: @flowterspace

PaulLind

• Rep: 0
« Reply #36 on: December 12, 2021, 08:58:52 AM »
It's crucial to rest enough and exercise for both strength and agility. You could try to switch up skate shoes with flat soles. Also, make sure your skate shoes have an excellent supportive ankle cup that locks your foot in, and remember to tie your laces the right way. You have to be careful. I broke my ankle while skating a wore a athletic tape from https://dunbarmedical.com/product-category/taping-wrapping-padding/athletic-tape/ for eight weeks. You don't want nor need that.

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 871
« Reply #37 on: December 20, 2021, 12:56:32 PM »
I massively fucked up my flick ankle being a dipshit hard ass in my military days, I don't know exactly what I did other than it was utterly fucked and the only way I passed my last PT test was acing the pushups/sit-ups and then power walking most of my run with it taped up like a mummy. I never got it looked at, let alone fixed, and it eventually healed into a lump of scar tissue that made it almost impossible for me to perform a flicking motion.

I severely sprained it about a year into skating again but since I'm so used to it being immobile I just bought some high top 440s, wrapped it up tight, and kept trucking. Although this was probably really fucking stupid, it ended up working out because about 6 months ago I landed really weird on something, rolled my ankle, and it popped. I don't know what happened but it was like something broke loose and I could finally roll my ankle all the way over for the first time in a decade. I'm starting to actually occasionally snap kickflips off that don't rocket or slow roll and it feels great.

So basically the secret for my recovery from a catastrophic ankle injury was to just continually reinjure it until by sheer dumb luck I knocked everything back into place.

Paul_Glider Skateboards

• Rep: 56
« Reply #38 on: January 14, 2022, 09:42:35 AM »
https://www.tactics.com/etcetera/figure-six-ankle-stabilizer

Bought these a few years back and I still use them to this day. Highly rec

-
We're a board company that specializes in the twin tail shape
www.instagram.com/gliderskateboards
www.gliderskateboards.com

DM us on IG if you're ever interested. We offer Slap Pals a generous discount!

Billy Bitchcakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 462
  • Q U I T E S T Y L I S H
« Reply #39 on: July 15, 2022, 03:23:30 AM »
bumping a good thread

I've been trying to get into the habit of band exercises recently. rolled my ankle again a few days ago - anyone got any advice on how soon I should get back on the exercises? should I wait until it feels back to normal (not that my ankles have a normal any more)
During sex to prevent myself from ejaculating I think about Osama Bin Laden running my dick through a sewing machine.

Surf The Earth

• Rep: 19
« Reply #40 on: July 15, 2022, 05:37:35 AM »
as someone who has 3 broken ankles, I have dealt with my fair share of recovery. as far as those band exercises, I would say to start icing and elevating like crazy for the next few days. once you can feel you can start moving your ankle without a lot of pain I would jump into doing light band work with it to strengthen it once again.
Proverbs 27:17

Skatebeard

• Rep: 129
« Reply #41 on: August 09, 2022, 12:37:42 AM »
bumping a good thread

I've been trying to get into the habit of band exercises recently. rolled my ankle again a few days ago - anyone got any advice on how soon I should get back on the exercises? should I wait until it feels back to normal (not that my ankles have a normal any more)

Start range of motion exercises pretty much straight away as pain allows, do sets of alphabet, and clockwise/counter clockwise rotation 3x a day... then after a couple days when it feels able, move onto bands or a balance/wobble board.

Lessfillingtastegreat

• Rep: 54
« Reply #42 on: August 24, 2022, 02:18:58 PM »
45 yr old.  Skate rat. 

I skate at a reasonably high level for my age I guess. Mostly street.   

I found in the last year to loosen my trucks major.  I think I downloaded it from Daewon talking about his ankle injuries and how loosening help preserve his career.  I’m pretty darn loose these days.  I would mess my ankle up every sesh it seems at a medium tightness truck.  Now I rarely get injuries. Maybe on an odd pivot off something.  Theory to me is the board / trucks give. So my ankle doesn’t force any range of motion.  My .02.

8.1 Drift -  venture 5.6 , Jessup, SFF  54mm Swiss ceramics  -https://imgur.com/a/WlDgenx

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 595
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #43 on: September 01, 2022, 10:39:19 AM »
This might be a stupid question..

Anyone on here tried to wear ankle braces in mid/high top shoes? I am thinking about to try that.
IG: @flowterspace

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 518
« Reply #44 on: September 01, 2022, 12:24:22 PM »

Anyone on here tried to wear ankle braces in mid/high top shoes? I am thinking about to try that.

Yeah I did that for a while when my ankles were really really really weak. Much harder to skate obviously

But eventually with consistent skating and physio was able to wean off of it.

Wearing stable, structured and secured shoes that fit properly is much more important

doublesteveburger

« Reply #45 on: September 01, 2022, 12:29:02 PM »
pardon my french but these god damn fucking slip ons finally did me in over the weekend cum jizz

LebowskisRug

« Reply #46 on: September 01, 2022, 02:24:26 PM »
Posted this in another thread but I fully ruptured all the ligaments in my popping ankle about 1.5 years ago. I have on labrum in the opposite hip from a cycling crash.

I did my normal health insurance PT rehab, but still had limited mobility and consistent swelling 6 months later. I ended up doing some of the Kneesovertoesguy movements specifically tibialis raises, ATG split squat and calve raises on a wedge (among others). I also have done Cossack Squats and lunges.

About a month into the program my pain vanished and after 9 months I have better ankle mobility and stability. Prior to that I re-rolled it several times skating and just walking. Since then I've not hand any sort of roll. I've always been a believer that the best coarse of action is to have a decent level of strength and mobility around the joint in question, which gets much older as we age.

I've also started paying a lot more attention to the shoes I run and orthotics I use. For shoes with thick insoles I use the Sole Performance Thick and for thinner I use Superfeet run comfort. Right now I am using Tiagos and the stock insole and the support is fantastic.

Koja510

« Reply #47 on: September 01, 2022, 04:09:01 PM »
My experience with ankles is that no one ever rehabs them, including me.  I've rolled my forward foot more times than I can count.  I also had a high sprain a couple times.  Fractured my ankle too.

Imagine tearing your knee.  Big deal.  Now imagine tearing your ankle?  You're probably thinking I'll be walking soon.  It still hurts but I can go skate.  It feels floppy and loose but who cares?  Next thing you know you're my age and your ankle constantly pops, aches, and is forever loose.  Now its affecting your knee, your hip, your arch.  Scar tissue out the yin yang.  Take that ankle recovery seriously.  If your ankle is the size of a baseball and black and blue fucking chill, seriously.  If you're feeling pain but the swelling is gone then it's time to go low impact and rehab that sprain with mellow exercises, resistance band work, and maybe even yoga.  RICE like your life depends on it.  Weak ankles turn to weak knees turn to hips turn to lower back.  Trust.

A lot of my ankle problems stemmed from bulky shoes in the 2000s.  I used to HATE accels because I always rolled my ankle in them.  You mix a small 7.75 with a short wheelbase and bulky cupsoles and your ass is going to be twisting.  I find that I almost never roll my ankle now with 8.25+ boards and modern shoes.  Seeing people go back to the bulk is bittersweet.  They help your back but I remember how unstable some of those bulky cupsole shoes felt.

Also, wearing your shoes way past their lifespan is no bueno for your feet and ankles, double for vulcs.  Your shoe starts to go crooked once the bottom is sanded off uneven by your griptape.  They say walkers and runners should replace shoes every 300-500mi.  Now imagine skateboarding and all that pushing, jumping, and shimmying on griptape?  There's no way you shoud be running skate shoes for months and months.  You're going to get so much uneven wear and you're going to be overpronating.  Bad bad bad.  High tops and mid tops people.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1567
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #48 on: September 04, 2022, 02:41:42 PM »
I’d imagine a Tiago would fare better than a Vans slip on….I think a bulky shoe can be more stable as well as flicking off of something with more structure doesnt strain your ankles as bad.

FrankRizzo

• Rep: 10
« Reply #49 on: October 08, 2022, 03:44:18 AM »
Rest Ice Compress Elevate aka RICE is the worst thing anyone can do to a injury.
Swelling is the healing process.
Puffy, hot and painful is how the body gets it done.
Pain is letting you know exactly how much to move the effected area. Masking pain creates great potential for more injury or worse chronic injury.
Flat feet are symptoms of kinesthetics and posture issues. Insoles fix nothing. Most likely hips and head are misaligned in some way that knees/ankles are locked out weakening the foot.
Scar tissue has to be worked out for years potentially for fibers to align again.
Eating red meat, fish and fatty proteins speed up the healing process.
Growing old means your second job is reading pain, treating the misalignment, seeking muscle balance and healthy range of motion.
Crawling on the belly to hunt (like a sniper) and dragging back the kill is what we are all missing exercise wise.

Lessfillingtastegreat

• Rep: 54
« Reply #50 on: October 18, 2022, 04:51:33 PM »

I only wear hi-tops with occasional compression band on. Works fine. I tie my shoes hella football tight ( Crockett hi’s). Wrestling boot steez
8.1 Drift -  venture 5.6 , Jessup, SFF  54mm Swiss ceramics  -https://imgur.com/a/WlDgenx