Author Topic: Ankle Destruction  (Read 2116 times)

rawbertson.

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1174
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Re: Ankle Destruction
« Reply #30 on: June 25, 2021, 06:29:36 AM »
What's the brand Rawb?

sorry i forgot about this thread
the brand was Solei
ONTARIO CANADA

Count Jackula

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 54
« Reply #31 on: June 29, 2021, 02:45:11 PM »
Does anyone have experience with an ATFL ligament sprain/tear? Iím starting to think I have this type of injury.

Iíll save the stories, but this particular sprain is concerning/different because my ankle feels relatively alright, the same way it would if it were moderately sprained. It is my pushing foot, so I would venture to say I can even Ollie, etc, with minimal pain assuming I land normally.

But, if I bend the wrong way even briefly, I get a horrible shooting pain. It doesnít seem like itís healing at a good pace, although thereís not any bruising or profound swelling.

I did ask my podiatrist about it, but as you can imagine, he pointed out there were no fractures in an X-ray, and told me for sprains to stabilize the ankle in a brace.

Iíve given up the though of skating for a while, but donít quite know what to expect for healing this thing .

UrbanSombrero

• Rep: 4
« Reply #32 on: July 04, 2021, 08:32:20 AM »
Does anyone have experience with an ATFL ligament sprain/tear? Iím starting to think I have this type of injury.

Iíll save the stories, but this particular sprain is concerning/different because my ankle feels relatively alright, the same way it would if it were moderately sprained. It is my pushing foot, so I would venture to say I can even Ollie, etc, with minimal pain assuming I land normally.

But, if I bend the wrong way even briefly, I get a horrible shooting pain. It doesnít seem like itís healing at a good pace, although thereís not any bruising or profound swelling.

I did ask my podiatrist about it, but as you can imagine, he pointed out there were no fractures in an X-ray, and told me for sprains to stabilize the ankle in a brace.

Iíve given up the though of skating for a while, but donít quite know what to expect for healing this thing .

This sounds a lot like what I've been dealing with the last few months. I landed weird on 360 flip, thought I sprained it but it never bruised or swelled up like usual when I roll it. Took a couple days off it was sore but I was mostly able to skate with minor pain. It then started to get worse to the point I couldn't push without pain. I went to a physical therapist it helped a little but I wasn't ever able to skate for more than 30 mins. Everytime I landed on my tip toes it would flare up and I would be done. Mainly heelflips would do this.

Finally saw a podiatrist like you x-rays negative but he did see some arthritis in the ankle joint. Diagnosis was anterior ankle impingement, he gave me a round of steroids and a brace to skate in. The steroids really helped a lot, I'm now able to skate relatively pain free, my confidence is shot but I'm able to pretty much skate as long as I want without pain. I still have pain in the joint but it is slightly better everyday, just very slow. The podiatrist said a steroid injection into the joint is an option if this doesn't get better on its own. If that doesn't resolve a scope to clean up the joint would be needed.

This was my pushing/popping ankle. It's been 3 months of dealing with this. I can skate but still feel off. Fakie tricks and backside scoop tricks feel like shit still. Everything else feels ok.

Sorry for the long ass post. Good luck hope it gets better.

Count Jackula

• Rep: 54
« Reply #33 on: July 06, 2021, 08:05:31 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

This sounds a lot like what I've been dealing with the last few months. I landed weird on 360 flip, thought I sprained it but it never bruised or swelled up like usual when I roll it. Took a couple days off it was sore but I was mostly able to skate with minor pain. It then started to get worse to the point I couldn't push without pain. I went to a physical therapist it helped a little but I wasn't ever able to skate for more than 30 mins. Everytime I landed on my tip toes it would flare up and I would be done. Mainly heelflips would do this.

Finally saw a podiatrist like you x-rays negative but he did see some arthritis in the ankle joint. Diagnosis was anterior ankle impingement, he gave me a round of steroids and a brace to skate in. The steroids really helped a lot, I'm now able to skate relatively pain free, my confidence is shot but I'm able to pretty much skate as long as I want without pain. I still have pain in the joint but it is slightly better everyday, just very slow. The podiatrist said a steroid injection into the joint is an option if this doesn't get better on its own. If that doesn't resolve a scope to clean up the joint would be needed.

This was my pushing/popping ankle. It's been 3 months of dealing with this. I can skate but still feel off. Fakie tricks and backside scoop tricks feel like shit still. Everything else feels ok.

Sorry for the long ass post. Good luck hope it gets better.

Thanks for sharing your experience. The podiatrist told me he saw arthritis around my ankle as well, but was pretty blasť about it. I was there for a problem with my foot unrelated to skateboarding (I guess I have something called metatarsus adductes, which doesnít help with ankle stability). For that, he suggested custom inserts. Surgery would be costly and a lengthy recovery.

This is the first ankle injury since a high sprain sprain over 15 years ago in which I can remember the healing feeling so slow. I think my best bet is going to be not skating at all for a while, and working on strengthening this bitch.

Iíll report back in a while and hopefully I can report progress. If Iím able to see a doctor again, I may ask about steroid shots, but Iím gonna hope for some natural healing in the meantime.

listentoaheartbeat

• Rep: 125
« Reply #34 on: July 06, 2021, 09:41:50 AM »
Iíve had some bad ankle injuries in recent years, worst one took a year to fully recover. Last one took me out for two months last summer. I feel like Iíve now found my recipe, been skating really intense lately with a lot of stability and confidence.

• Took me a while, but now that I am down 26 lbs, I believe loosing any overweight is essential. Reduces stress on the joints, improves balance and agility.
  • Exercising and stretching, including balance board. Iíve found a routine that I can do at home in either 15 or 30 minutes, so if I feel I donít have time I can do at least the short version.
  • Warming up and stretching before sessions. I mostly cruise around first and stretch once I start sweating. Also trying to get into jump rope as an alternative.
  • Hi/mid-tops and/or supports like these, but only during proper sessions. Doc says wearing them too often weakens the joints. Same goes for stronger supports, not recommended unless one is recovering from an injury.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2021, 01:03:35 PM by listentoaheartbeat »

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 150
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #35 on: July 25, 2021, 07:25:50 AM »
2 months later and I am back here again.

I realized most of my ankle rolls are when I land too far on the side rails of my board and my toes touch the ground.

I am a 7.5 US shoe size and ride 8.18 decks. Maybe it will be better for me when I size up?

Got a brown bomber (8.86) for lazy days and wanted to go up to 8.25 next, but yeah gotta take a break from skating again and be sad.

PaulLind

• Rep: 0
« Reply #36 on: December 12, 2021, 08:58:52 AM »
It's crucial to rest enough and exercise for both strength and agility. You could try to switch up skate shoes with flat soles. Also, make sure your skate shoes have an excellent supportive ankle cup that locks your foot in, and remember to tie your laces the right way. You have to be careful. I broke my ankle while skating a wore a athletic tape from https://dunbarmedical.com/product-category/taping-wrapping-padding/athletic-tape/ for eight weeks. You don't want nor need that.

Buttfart Rapedick

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #37 on: December 20, 2021, 12:56:32 PM »
I massively fucked up my flick ankle being a dipshit hard ass in my military days, I don't know exactly what I did other than it was utterly fucked and the only way I passed my last PT test was acing the pushups/sit-ups and then power walking most of my run with it taped up like a mummy. I never got it looked at, let alone fixed, and it eventually healed into a lump of scar tissue that made it almost impossible for me to perform a flicking motion.

I severely sprained it about a year into skating again but since I'm so used to it being immobile I just bought some high top 440s, wrapped it up tight, and kept trucking. Although this was probably really fucking stupid, it ended up working out because about 6 months ago I landed really weird on something, rolled my ankle, and it popped. I don't know what happened but it was like something broke loose and I could finally roll my ankle all the way over for the first time in a decade. I'm starting to actually occasionally snap kickflips off that don't rocket or slow roll and it feels great.

So basically the secret for my recovery from a catastrophic ankle injury was to just continually reinjure it until by sheer dumb luck I knocked everything back into place.

Paul_Glider Skateboards

• Rep: 5
« Reply #38 on: January 14, 2022, 09:42:35 AM »
https://www.tactics.com/etcetera/figure-six-ankle-stabilizer

Bought these a few years back and I still use them to this day. Highly rec

-
We're a board company that specializes in the twin tail shape
www.instagram.com/gliderskateboards
www.gliderskateboards.com