Author Topic: "The Most Fun Thing" by Kyle Beachy  (Read 2575 times)

mj23

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 225
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
"The Most Fun Thing" by Kyle Beachy
« on: September 17, 2021, 08:33:09 AM »
Just got a copy in the mail and read the first few chapters. I'll probably end up ripping through it pretty quickly, although I could see the excessive "literary" pretensions getting tedious. Anyone else reading it?

Some initial thoughts:
  • I think I could do without the seemingly constant return to "but what does it all mean? What really is it, to 'skate?'" type navel-gazing
  • Part of this has got to be because Beachy is a creative writing professor. The type of literature produced and discussed in academic writing circles is totally its own thing. It's a pretty insular world. No disrespect. I'm glad the guy can make a living and write about skateboarding, full stop.
  • It's really funny that the publisher markets this book as "the skateboarding version of Barbarian Days," because Barbarian Days is a totally different narrative. BD is a hero's journey kind of structure, about exploration and coming to know the world and one's relation to it. "The Most Fun Thing" is a much more introspective book.
  • Overall I'm just hyped that there is finally a book willing to consider skateboarding seriously, even if there are things about it that I could criticize.
  • It's very perfect and funny to me that they got Mark Suciu to write a blurb for the back cover. He's gotta be one of like a small handful of pros that would ever EVER read something like this

Jean-Ralphio Zaperstein

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 666
Re: "The Most Fun Thing" by Kyle Beachy
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2021, 09:03:06 AM »
I'm almost done reading it. I can really agree with your different points, I enjoy reading some serious stuff about the activity but also felt lost with the modern authors and works cited

whaaaaat

• Rep: 46
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2021, 09:03:13 AM »
I love reading and I love skateboarding, but I'll probably skip this book.  It's so hard to write about skateboarding with the intent of skateboarders and the general public consuming it.  Somehow Barbarian Days does a phenomenal job (imo) of relating an insular subculture to a non-surfing audience without coming across super corny.  I don't think I've ever seen it done for skateboarding though.  Be interested to hear your final takeaways when you finish - or from anyone else who's read it.

sharkjumper

• Rep: 40
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2021, 10:04:58 AM »
I finished it not long ago. Overall it’s a great read. I could do without some of the literary references. I never got into David foster Wallace so making allusions to his work is a miss for me.
I do like reading how others analyze and breakdown skating. His chapter about St Losers was good, and I liked his piece about hanging with Chaz.
It’s much different than barbarian days. That one was very much an autobiography where the most fun thing has a thread of that, it’s not the main story line.

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1170
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2021, 11:43:22 AM »
havent read Beachy's book yet, but I probably will. 

what about authors who skate, but don't write about skateboarding.

this is a fantastic read:

hardly art, hardly starving

freddiethreepwood

• Rep: 24
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2021, 12:10:05 PM »
havent read Beachy's book yet, but I probably will. 

what about authors who skate, but don't write about skateboarding.

this is a fantastic read:

Looks tight. Sean Wilsey's stuff's been decent too. Poetrywise, I've read some of Olly Todd's work and it was really good.

I'm going to have to read Beachy's but the book to read about skateboarding will be Ted Barrow's, if he leaves it another 3-5 years before starting to write it.

shredder sequel

• Rep: 58
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2021, 01:11:33 PM »
Just got a copy in the mail and read the first few chapters. I'll probably end up ripping through it pretty quickly, although I could see the excessive "literary" pretensions getting tedious. Anyone else reading it?

Some initial thoughts:
  • I think I could do without the seemingly constant return to "but what does it all mean? What really is it, to 'skate?'" type navel-gazing
  • Part of this has got to be because Beachy is a creative writing professor. The type of literature produced and discussed in academic writing circles is totally its own thing. It's a pretty insular world. No disrespect. I'm glad the guy can make a living and write about skateboarding, full stop.
  • It's really funny that the publisher markets this book as "the skateboarding version of Barbarian Days," because Barbarian Days is a totally different narrative. BD is a hero's journey kind of structure, about exploration and coming to know the world and one's relation to it. "The Most Fun Thing" is a much more introspective book.
  • Overall I'm just hyped that there is finally a book willing to consider skateboarding seriously, even if there are things about it that I could criticize.
  • It's very perfect and funny to me that they got Mark Suciu to write a blurb for the back cover. He's gotta be one of like a small handful of pros that would ever EVER read something like this

I’m glad that the book exists and that there are people out there that take the book seriously and want to spend time thinking about and taking a closer look at skateboarding.

Was not that into the what is it to skate stuff? I think that Beachy spends too much time portraying as being so different from anything else that is not understandable by non-skater—and, in some instances—even skater. It’s not that different. Lots of people who engage in other hobbies/activities/sports/etc. think in ways that are similar to skaters. The similarities between people who fish (or whatever else) and people who skate are more interesting to me than the differences.

The navel-gazing gets to be too much on a number of occasions, and as a reader left me getting to the end of an essay and wondering “what’s this supposed to be about?” A number of times. Beachy makes lots of connections among skateboarding, writing, marriage, literary works, etc. and all of those connections are very clear—to him. He doesn’t often make those connections clear to the reader. As communicators, we understand what WE are thinking. When we want to communicate effectively, we have to make that the people we are speaking to/writing for/editing video for, etc. understand as well as we do what we are thinking so that they can get the points we are trying to make and make the connections we are trying to make.

The academy is insular. The the discussions that go on in it and the way people in that environment look at things can differ greatly from out people outside of the academy discuss/look at things. Especially in English departments.

That said, in my experience there are generally people in these departments that are aware of this and encourage the students to think and discuss in the typical department way, but to produce writing that is not so stilted/academic/purple/etc. There are departments out there that do (or used to) make their graduate student go through an Academic Writing class to help them sharpen their arguments, cut the fat, and break the habit of being “academic” that many students develop as undergraduates.

The whole time I was reading I was thinking that the book could use a lot of that.

Marketing it as being similar to “Barbarian Days” was a really weird move. Those books are not even sorta the same.

mj23

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2021, 01:31:51 PM »
Marketing it as being similar to “Barbarian Days” was a really weird move. Those books are not even sorta the same.
I would love to know how this was pitched, executed, and received. I could easily imagine a scenario where some manager suggests it in a staff meeting, everyone groans and complains but accepts that they have to do what the boss wants. Gotta sell books! Barbarian Days was a hit! I could imagine that Barbarian Days would be like an albatross around Beachy's neck. Every time you talk to someone about your book, the first thing they ask is "Oh! Like Barbarian Days??"

shredder sequel

• Rep: 58
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2021, 01:43:55 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
I would love to know how this was pitched, executed, and received. I could easily imagine a scenario where some manager suggests it in a staff meeting, everyone groans and complains but accepts that they have to do what the boss wants. Gotta sell books! Barbarian Days was a hit! I could imagine that Barbarian Days would be like an albatross around Beachy's neck. Every time you talk to someone about your book, the first thing they ask is "Oh! Like Barbarian Days??"

Maybe they settled on that after “Didion’s ‘The White Album’ but with skateboarding.” Didn’t test well.

Cool Ceith

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 614
  • Did someone say sassy?
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2021, 02:38:32 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Maybe they settled on that after “Didion’s ‘The White Album’ but with skateboarding.” Didn’t test well.
Shite album

WarmUpZone

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 462
  • I hope God makes you break your leg.
    • the Warm Up Zone - watching skate videos over and over avatar image
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2021, 09:41:41 AM »
I got Kyle's book from the library, which can be helpful as it puts a deadline on finishing it. I'm not quite done yet, but as it is a collection of essays, I think it is fair to speak on it.

It can be laborious at times to read and understand, and it definitely feels like it was written by someone who teaches graduate level writing. Sometimes the labor of reading it can be rewarding, as there are aspects of skateboarding that are very hard to put into words and capture and when it clicks you feel it. But other times the effort to grasp it can get tiresome. If you've never read academic writing before or don't have the motivation to wrestle with it, parts of the book will be impenetrable.

Example:
Roberto Bolano called surrealism "something convulsive and vague, that familiar amorphous thing." If indeed there is ever to be a poetics of skateboarding, familiarity will have to play a role. Suvin's argument for science fiction's value was a matter of cognitive estrangement. Campbell's film documents and creates ostranenie by the re-presentation of a familiar world as captured by, and portrayed through, the glance of the radical dreamer.
There is a lot of this type of writing.

That being said, there are chapters that I was absolutely delighted with and enjoyed immensely. Some that I consider perhaps some of the best writing on skateboarding ever.

Definitely worth reading if you like to think philosophically about skateboarding and have patience.
Warm Up Zone. Let's watch some skateboarding videos.

Willy Santos cut my hair

• Rep: 391
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2021, 12:40:27 PM »
Free skate mag published a piece of writing by Kyle Beachy some years ago.
it was a fictional memoir from a skater during the early 90s in SF - reminiscent of the Second Hand Embarrassment blog.
I’m a little sad Beachy didn’t keep the fiction going, but I am looking forward to checking this out

ClayH

• Rep: 21
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2021, 02:04:13 PM »
I think the points made earlier in this thread about it often being harder to understand due to the academic nature of his writing are definitely valid, but do make it rewarding and give those of us not familiar with this type of writing something to chew on.

I think the essays on Dylan and Primitive Progressivism are important reads for any skateboarder in today's world. The former to understand and appreciate how we got into the post-hammer-style-centric world we've been in for the last 10 years and the latter was a great look at skateboarding's cis/hetero male dominated past and what the future of our culture looks like.

I really enjoyed my time reading it and I reread one or two essays a week while on campus waiting for class to start. I recommended it to all my skate-nerd friends, though I'm not sure how much value a lot of the content has to non-skaters. I think the potency of some of the stories and figures might be lost on them.

Staniel

• Rep: 7
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2021, 10:57:10 PM »
I read The Slide (again) and The Most Fun Thing in a matter of a few months this year. Kyle is a fantastic writer, and his new book is a huge step forward for skate literature. The Most Fun Thing is a must-read for skaters and anyone curious about the experience.

https://www.grandcentralpublishing.com/titles/kyle-beachy/the-most-fun-thing/9781538754115/
« Last Edit: April 18, 2023, 10:56:02 AM by Staniel »

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1929
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2021, 02:06:05 AM »
I think the essays on Dylan and Primitive Progressivism are important reads for any skateboarder in today's world. The former to understand and appreciate how we got into the post-hammer-style-centric world we've been in for the last 10 years and the latter was a great look at skateboarding's cis/hetero male dominated past and what the future of our culture looks like.

Link for the lazy?
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Jean-Ralphio Zaperstein

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 666
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2021, 04:37:54 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Link for the lazy?

Both are in the book, and free published Primitive Progressivism in 2018 :
https://www.freeskatemag.com/2018/06/05/primitive-progressivism-by-kyle-beachy/

mj23

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2021, 07:25:21 AM »
I’m a bit more than halfway through now, and I’d say that I still agree with my first impressions.

I still fee they same way about the excessively verbose “literary” style. It always reads to me like an excuse to say things in 500 words that could be said in 50. I hate comparing this to Barbarian Days again, but there’s a useful contrast: Finnegan writes more like a journalist, where brevity and precision are central.

I listened to beachy’s interview on “Mostly Skateboarding” this week and I was interested in his attempts to try and match the formal aspects of a novel with the particular temporal flow of skateboarding. Kyle, if you’re reading this, or if anyone here is friends with him, check out “Rave” by Rainald Goetz. Goetz attempts something similar with another modern pastime that totally fucks with temporality and space: raving.

Anyway, I like when Beachy writes about Craig Stecyk and the Dogtown myths. The chapter about Chaz Ortiz was great as well. Haven’t read the Dylan essay yet but I look forward to getting there.

Willy Santos cut my hair

• Rep: 391
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2021, 10:05:41 AM »

aŕáâäćăĺ

• Rep: -2
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2021, 11:21:44 AM »

If you've never read academic writing before or don't have the motivation to wrestle with it, parts of the book will be impenetrable.

Example:
Expand Quote
Roberto Bolano called surrealism "something convulsive and vague, that familiar amorphous thing." If indeed there is ever to be a poetics of skateboarding, familiarity will have to play a role. Suvin's argument for science fiction's value was a matter of cognitive estrangement. Campbell's film documents and creates ostranenie by the re-presentation of a familiar world as captured by, and portrayed through, the glance of the radical dreamer.
[close]
There is a lot of this type of writing.

I’ve read some theory, so the writing style quoted above isn’t unfamiliar; however, those sentences seemed very convoluted me and were off putting. They appeared to use names to fill a void.

I recently got the book and read the essay that they’re pulled from. The poster who put them in that sequence did not quote the text directly: they do not appear in that order. So, if you were hesitant like I was based on them, don’t let the “quote” above dissuade you from reading it if you’re into books about skateboarding.

mushroom slice

« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2021, 01:27:38 PM »
Waiting for the audio book.

JimGeko

• Rep: -38
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2021, 01:31:17 PM »
Waiting for the audio book. on YouTube for free
What do you say on a Slap signature?

I DON"T KNOW!

MASHED POTATO * APPLE SAUCE * BUTTERY... BISCUITS.

https://ephmedia.giphy.com/4e27e798-9a5d-4df3-87ba-b18f905e055a.gif

ndsr

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 164
« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2021, 02:33:26 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Link for the lazy?
[close]

Both are in the book, and free published Primitive Progressivism in 2018 :
https://www.freeskatemag.com/2018/06/05/primitive-progressivism-by-kyle-beachy/
Fantastic read, respect

1stofthemonth

• Rep: -17
« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2021, 11:01:51 AM »
I think this could be the end of skateboard books for a little. I haven't read it yet, but as a skateboarder who writes, I can't stomach the blanket literary phrases that surround writing about skateboarding. Just fucking skate and take it in internally. Write about something else.

ok boomer

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1029
  • Gnar Kook
« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2021, 12:23:44 PM »
Not sure that I need Kyle Beachy to tell me that skateboarding is fun, but aiit