Author Topic: Trick tips that actually helped you  (Read 4981 times)

RoaryMcTwang

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 411
Trick tips that actually helped you
« on: May 05, 2021, 11:15:07 PM »
Much of what’s flying around YouTube etc as trick tips doesn’t really seem to help much - pros who can just do tricks naturally doing the trick 10 times over from various angles, and the explanation being something like “To learn how to frontside flip, learn how to fs 180 and then how to kickflip. Then, put them together, like this! (Pro does trick)”.

However, I’m also sure that most people on here have had a few experiences where some advice really unlocked a trick for them. For me, some older dude telling me that you have to keep your shoulders parallel to the board in order to ollie straight, do kickflips etc was basically the start of actually becoming able to do tricks and progress. Also, kicking the front foot down towards the ground rather than forward on heelflips also made a huge difference.

What tip has actually helped you to learn a trick?

GinosGroceries

Re: Trick tips that actually helped you
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2021, 11:57:16 PM »
I always appreciated RadRat’s approach. He breaks it down and explains what helped him with the trick and what he realized he was doing wrong.

Also I like watching super slowmo tricks to see exactly where on the board someone’s foot is when flicking and their shoulder position.

Dwyck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 150
  • Harley-Davidson Ironwing
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2021, 11:58:26 PM »
silhouette in skate questions
Regular stance is a mental disorder defined by the DSM-5

CaptainBushwacker

• Rep: 13
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2021, 12:22:25 AM »
I like skatehacks channel for some tricks, he breaks it down nicely.

I've been trying backtails this spring and this video is definitely an eyeopener concerning all the things I'm doing wrong and what I should be doing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgkofdnwv8E

Dwyck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 150
  • Harley-Davidson Ironwing
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2021, 12:26:02 AM »
i learned back wallrides from a haley isaak video
Regular stance is a mental disorder defined by the DSM-5

Blueabyssofthisss

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2021, 12:26:56 AM »
The way I learned hardflips- some older guy at a skatepark explained it like “do a fs flip but at the last second don’t turn your shoulders.” At the time I couldn’t even fs 180, let alone fs flip. But that seemed to click something in my brain and I had the motion from there on out. (Didn’t learn fs 180s until like 3 years after this, fs flips 4 years after)

Sila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 320
  • Jamu Gost
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2021, 12:47:54 AM »
The discussions here have helped me out more than anything. Even if it isn't necessarily the actual tips themselves, the discussions will get me thinking about a trick and i'll start looking at them from different perspectives and that stimulates my curiosity enough to get out and to work on something.
When it comes to YouTube, I thought Skate Hacks was pretty good.

knex

• Rep: 30
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2021, 12:55:49 AM »
The only trick tip that actually helped me was for impossibles. I seem to recall it might have been a clip with Jimmy Carlin of all people (imagine that).

Not really on topic but I have always struggled with blunt to fakies. Periodically I've really wanted to get them and I remember a mildly amusing pre-youtube trick tip video where some random dude said the only real tip is to not be a fucking pussy - you have to take a few slams to get it. Still rings true to this day and after 20 odd years skateboarding I've come to terms with not ever getting blunt fakies on lock.

chrisskates808

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2021, 01:33:02 AM »
I always appreciated RadRat’s approach. He breaks it down and explains what helped him with the trick and what he realized he was doing wrong.

Also I like watching super slowmo tricks to see exactly where on the board someone’s foot is when flicking and their shoulder position.

Wasn’t his old channel aronl?  Could be mistaken with someone else

chrisskates808

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2021, 01:33:41 AM »
There was a slappy k grind tutorial which I was quite surprised helped. Wasn’t from a pro skater. Just a regular person uploading it.

Paul Cicero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -311
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2021, 03:05:43 AM »
The only trick tip that actually helped me was for impossibles. I seem to recall it might have been a clip with Jimmy Carlin of all people (imagine that).

Not really on topic but I have always struggled with blunt to fakies. Periodically I've really wanted to get them and I remember a mildly amusing pre-youtube trick tip video where some random dude said the only real tip is to not be a fucking pussy - you have to take a few slams to get it. Still rings true to this day and after 20 odd years skateboarding I've come to terms with not ever getting blunt fakies on lock.

Ive accepted my pivot out. Acceptance is the first step.  ;D

non-playable character

• Rep: 8
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2021, 03:54:42 AM »
ben raemers’ back disaster trick tip video. learned them the day after and it’s been a transition staple for me ever since
http://youtu.be/VQdQm5ASXXI

johnes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -237
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2021, 03:56:53 AM »
The tip that helped me with front shuvs is that you pop straight down, you don’t push the tail side ways when you pop. I always had that shitty front shuv in games of skate because I would try to push the tail to the side when I popped.
Now I can do front shuvs as easy as pop shuvs.

I’m a fat Siamese cat.

burm

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 126
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2021, 03:57:58 AM »
This thread: https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=96459.0

This is the greatest thread of all time. Already learned back 180s and back 50-50s and cleaned up my front shuvs.

Still need to work on those flip tricks though
take what small comfort there may be left
seize what you love and damn all the rest

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2021, 04:33:08 AM »

Expand Quote
This is the greatest thread of all time. Already learned back 180s and back 50-50s and cleaned up my front shuvs.

[close]

On which page are back 180s and back 50/50s discussed? I need help, my backside game is a joke.

On topic: I always could bs noseslide but never came out nicely to regular so I watched a vid by Ben Degros and at the end he said it was easier to get out to fakie. This had never crossed my mind but it worked a treat for me. I realise it is frowned upon but I prefer a nice bs noseslide to fakie to a horrible one to regular.
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

Lucky_Basek

• Rep: 56
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2021, 04:56:51 AM »
There was a slappy k grind tutorial which I was quite surprised helped. Wasn’t from a pro skater. Just a regular person uploading it.

Respect to the trick. Even more respect for using the name K grind...which I still do

Biggiemouths

• Rep: -43
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2021, 06:32:10 AM »
ACID DOES IT BETTER THAN MOST YOUTUBERS GIVE IT A TRY!

THE MICRODOSING SHIT LIKE RY RAYS REALLY WORK WETHER SAM HITZ LIKES IT OR NOT!

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1963
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2021, 06:34:03 AM »
I could already do them, but there's an old Mike Mo video where he talks about popping kickflips closer to the pocket of the tail than the center and I feel like my kickflips drastically improved when I started practicing that.

Circaskater420

• Rep: -76
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2021, 06:34:26 AM »
I know this is lame but when my homie told me that ollie height is determined by how much you can suck your legs up it was like an epiphany.  I’ve been able to ollie up and over just about anything since

GlenSuggittsflexfit

« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2021, 06:39:41 AM »

Rubbrick

• Rep: 140
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2021, 06:48:28 AM »
I wasn’t very good at slappy feebles & would sometimes go over the top. My buddy told me to put the front foot back and angle it towards the nose a bit and also to kind of wrap the board around the face of the curb, instead of it being so flat. Helped tremendously and now I can hold them for awhile and do tricks out of them

Salmon Agah

« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2021, 07:15:45 AM »
I was never able to crack the code, until I watched a trick tip on blunt to fakies with Danny Way and he told me to watch your front foot when you do it instead of your back foot. I realized until this point I was staring my back foot down because I was afraid of coming in to fakie, which was making my shoulders slightly rotate my whole body, which made it feel impossible since I wasn't coming in straight.

Blunt to fakies are still a scary trick that I no longer do, but thanks to Danny for allowing me to for a little while.

Stretch

• Rep: 19
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2021, 08:09:50 AM »
I learned late sjuvits by playing EA skate, ollie and then nollie sjuvit in the air.

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1035
« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2021, 08:13:16 AM »
Stevie told me to bend my knees and it’s been all gravy ever since...

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1891
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2021, 08:23:17 AM »
I could already do them, but there's an old Mike Mo video where he talks about popping kickflips closer to the pocket of the tail than the center and I feel like my kickflips drastically improved when I started practicing that.

Link? My kickflips have been becoming worse, I'm blaming my shoes going from vulc to cupsole, but I'm swapping shoes soon so I wont have that excuse much longer.

@silhouette - dude post a wall of text but his trick tips are so good, expanded my BS and flip trick game (marginally) thanks to his advice. @tzhangdox delivers the goods too.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

burm

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 126
« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2021, 08:56:40 AM »
Expand Quote

Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

On which page are back 180s and back 50/50s discussed? I need help, my backside game is a joke.

Can’t recall which page exactly but I read through all of them and there were a lot of good tips all around. Like thinking about swapping your feet front to back and vice versa when doing fs180s
take what small comfort there may be left
seize what you love and damn all the rest

cant kickflip but can tre

• Rep: 9
« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2021, 09:33:04 AM »
Expand Quote

Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

On topic: I always could bs noseslide but never came out nicely to regular so I watched a vid by Ben Degros and at the end he said it was easier to get out to fakie. This had never crossed my mind but it worked a treat for me. I realise it is frowned upon but I prefer a nice bs noseslide to fakie to a horrible one to regular.

One thing that helped me learning back 180s was to lean over the front foot. It helps to get the full rotation. Even if you don't fully turn 180, the weight over the front foot helps you slide the rest of it

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2021, 09:38:40 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

[close]

One thing that helped me learning back 180s was to lean over the front foot. It helps to get the full rotation. Even if you don't fully turn 180, the weight over the front foot helps you slide the rest of it

Cheers, I‘ll keep that in mind.
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 939
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2021, 11:28:08 AM »
Sucks that it's on the berries but the gum/cigarette methods help me get the scoop right for 360 flips.
https://youtu.be/6YlQAFip5mc?t=37

Another tip that got me closer was that back foot scoop direction should be more of a behind you forward motion (as if you were trying to push your back lag towards the front of your board but keeping it behind your front leg (hard to explain and  I cant find the vid but this one is saying the same thing:

https://youtu.be/pT6n82iLeeg?t=32

My tip for impossibles:

Visualize how a bicycle crank works (facing the crank and using your hand to rotate it). Now pretend you are grabbing a pedal from the 3 O'clock position and bring it up to 12 O'clock really fast. 5:30 is where you ollie and 630 is where you push the back forward and start to bring it up.

Ollie (we're not doing bitch 360 shuvs here) now you push down and forward just slightly then complete the crank motion.

Thing is, it's not a fast trick when you first learn it...it's very slow do to the wrap motion and the wrap doesn't work like a tre flip, you have to make it wrap but making your back foot moved down, forward and up...you've all done the motion of you done them sitting down popping the tail and fucking around.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2021, 11:50:43 AM by Xen »

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 209
« Reply #29 on: May 06, 2021, 11:43:25 AM »
When I was learning BS flips my friend saw me and shouted “kick straight out!” That was good advice, trying to wrap them doesn’t work.