Author Topic: Trick tips that actually helped you  (Read 5053 times)

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1933
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
Re: Trick tips that actually helped you
« Reply #30 on: May 06, 2021, 07:27:15 PM »
Sucks that it's on the berries but the gum/cigarette methods help me get the scoop right for 360 flips.
https://youtu.be/6YlQAFip5mc?t=37

Another tip that got me closer was that back foot scoop direction should be more of a behind you forward motion (as if you were trying to push your back lag towards the front of your board but keeping it behind your front leg (hard to explain and  I cant find the vid but this one is saying the same thing:

https://youtu.be/pT6n82iLeeg?t=32

My tip for impossibles:

Visualize how a bicycle crank works (facing the crank and using your hand to rotate it). Now pretend you are grabbing a pedal from the 3 O'clock position and bring it up to 12 O'clock really fast. 5:30 is where you ollie and 630 is where you push the back forward and start to bring it up.

Ollie (we're not doing bitch 360 shuvs here) now you push down and forward just slightly then complete the crank motion.

Thing is, it's not a fast trick when you first learn it...it's very slow do to the wrap motion and the wrap doesn't work like a tre flip, you have to make it wrap but making your back foot moved down, forward and up...you've all done the motion of you done them sitting down popping the tail and fucking around.

What does my front foot do during this entire time? Like the bicycle crank visual you mentioned.

Mike Mo kickflip video for those who were looking.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

botefdunn

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 717
« Reply #31 on: May 06, 2021, 07:32:49 PM »
on the backside flip, bring your front shoulder to your back wheels.

funeral_tuxedo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1157
  • old and in the way
« Reply #32 on: May 06, 2021, 11:32:40 PM »
Ethan Fowler explained 360 flips and I listened

GinosGroceries

« Reply #33 on: May 07, 2021, 12:09:28 AM »
Expand Quote
I always appreciated RadRat’s approach. He breaks it down and explains what helped him with the trick and what he realized he was doing wrong.

Also I like watching super slowmo tricks to see exactly where on the board someone’s foot is when flicking and their shoulder position.
[close]

Wasn’t his old channel aronl?  Could be mistaken with someone else

Yep that is him

TheLurper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 658
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #34 on: May 07, 2021, 12:38:21 AM »
Dirty Brett is a man with sound advice

Quote from: ChuckRamone
I love when people bring up world hunger. It makes everything meaningless.
"That guy is double parked."
"Who cares? There are people starving to death! Besides, how does that affect you? Does it lessen the joy of parking?

moneen

• Rep: -41
« Reply #35 on: May 07, 2021, 01:00:34 AM »
not an actual trick tip but i learned how to front shuv much better from watching chris cole; bringing the front knee up instead of out made it click.

GlenSuggittsflexfit

« Reply #36 on: May 07, 2021, 05:57:56 AM »

I was not expecting him to spit on the coping spread the spit around with his tongue. He lives up to the mantra.

Craig Lutzka

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 294
« Reply #37 on: May 07, 2021, 07:09:57 AM »
Expand Quote
This thread: https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=96459.0

Expand Quote
This is the greatest thread of all time. Already learned back 180s and back 50-50s and cleaned up my front shuvs.

Still need to work on those flip tricks though
[close]
[close]

On which page are back 180s and back 50/50s discussed? I need help, my backside game is a joke.

On topic: I always could bs noseslide but never came out nicely to regular so I watched a vid by Ben Degros and at the end he said it was easier to get out to fakie. This had never crossed my mind but it worked a treat for me. I realise it is frowned upon but I prefer a nice bs noseslide to fakie to a horrible one to regular.
Don’t open your shoulders on back 5050, keep your front shoulder completely parallel with whatever you’re going to grind.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2021, 09:26:01 AM by Craig Lutzka »

Craig Lutzka

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 294
« Reply #38 on: May 07, 2021, 07:23:08 AM »

For coming in on 5-0 Fakie or pivot Fakie- it’s heel to toes to heel. Sit on your heel while grinding or stalling and when your ready to go in quickly lean on to your toes then back to your heel to level out. I always think of it like you’re curling your toes.

gaunting

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
« Reply #39 on: May 07, 2021, 07:56:26 AM »
only trick tip I ever learned a trick from. learned them the next day after watching this.

This has me cracking up, what exactly does Black Flag have to do with measuring your dick starting behind ya nuts?

Skateboarding is nothing but a game to find the right fits to appear like you're a proportional human being instead of a midget or a giant.

Esmith5488

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 400
« Reply #40 on: May 07, 2021, 08:27:32 AM »
When I was learning BS flips my friend saw me and shouted “kick straight out!” That was good advice, trying to wrap them doesn’t work.
That’s exactly how I do them fakie

metsuri

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 16
« Reply #41 on: May 07, 2021, 09:36:12 AM »
I was never able to crack the code, until I watched a trick tip on blunt to fakies with Danny Way and he told me to watch your front foot when you do it instead of your back foot. I realized until this point I was staring my back foot down because I was afraid of coming in to fakie, which was making my shoulders slightly rotate my whole body, which made it feel impossible since I wasn't coming in straight.

Blunt to fakies are still a scary trick that I no longer do, but thanks to Danny for allowing me to for a little while.

This makes sense. Where you look and the position of your head is key to a lot of tricks and this gets overlooked most of the time in trick tips.

There was an interesting discussion in Jamie Thomas's Stop and Chat where he told how Chris Cole taught him front crooks and apparently the key is to have your head directly above your front truck when you grind. I can't front crook so I don't know if that works. He also said that Cole is very good at taking tricks apart and pick out what's important for learning them. A lot of people can't do that although they may be great skaters.

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
« Reply #42 on: May 07, 2021, 12:18:55 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
This thread: https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=96459.0

Expand Quote
This is the greatest thread of all time. Already learned back 180s and back 50-50s and cleaned up my front shuvs.

Still need to work on those flip tricks though
[close]
[close]

On which page are back 180s and back 50/50s discussed? I need help, my backside game is a joke.

On topic: I always could bs noseslide but never came out nicely to regular so I watched a vid by Ben Degros and at the end he said it was easier to get out to fakie. This had never crossed my mind but it worked a treat for me. I realise it is frowned upon but I prefer a nice bs noseslide to fakie to a horrible one to regular.
[close]
Don’t open your shoulders on back 5050, keep your front shoulder completely parallel with whatever you’re going to grind.

Cheers brah I‘ll try.
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

Vitriol

• Rep: 36
« Reply #43 on: May 07, 2021, 12:20:31 PM »
Front rocks : a dude told me to peep that back heel.
It works.

Madam, I'm Adam

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1375
« Reply #44 on: May 07, 2021, 12:42:58 PM »
silhouette in skate questions

This is true. @silhouette if you're reading, you're a seer. Your tip that when learning flip tricks it's more important to get both feet on the board even if it's on the graphic, instead of flipping it fully because that comes with time, is great advice.

jaysouthbay

• Rep: 1
« Reply #45 on: May 07, 2021, 12:48:48 PM »
bs 180s - keep your eyes locked on your back foot the whole time to get the full rotation and it instantly clicked

front shuvs - pop almost straight down, don't scoop

if anyone can share insight on kickflips (something that hasnt been repeated in a youtube tutorial) id be forever grateful

Seadramon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 230
« Reply #46 on: May 07, 2021, 12:56:20 PM »
My best skate friend has a way of explaining tricks that clicks with me big time.

When I was learning 50/50's - look ahead of where your board is. Lock in every time for me.

For 5-0's - lift you front knee up.

For 360 flips - your front foot is just a guide. Don't flick but instead hold it still and let the board spin around it.

chris.

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 184
« Reply #47 on: May 07, 2021, 05:27:22 PM »
Someone here saying to slappy with both feet over your bolts blew my mind a couple years ago. I tried it and locked in instantly the next day. It ran so counter to what I thought the trick was in my head.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 996
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #48 on: May 07, 2021, 05:43:14 PM »
I was told for smiths, feebles, front boards/rocks: to over exaggerate them (think deep dips and swag on those front rocks) pretend you are and you will.

banksandledges

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 207
« Reply #49 on: May 07, 2021, 06:34:53 PM »
3 simple ones for tricks that took me a minute to figure out

Pivot to fakie - Heels to toes. That and bend your knees. So easy after I figured this out.

FS 360 Ollie. - Look through your back armpit area when you rotate. Keeps your head in line w your shoulder and so on down the line. Another easy unlock.

BS Heel flips  - similar to the fs 360, just watch your tail the whole time you do the trick.

Hope some of this helps to anyone who struggles w these

Logic

• Rep: 35
« Reply #50 on: May 07, 2021, 08:18:24 PM »
The way I got taught back 5-0 to fakies  was by placing my back foot on the pocket of the tail similar to you would for a 360 flip and focusing my weight on pinching down on it so that I actually grinded inside the ramp instead of on top. For going back in if you have trouble committing, try going to rock to fakie a few times (works for learning a lot of lip-tricks too). I personally find it easier to come back in fakie while grinding it as the momentum will help guide you in.

Apart from the that, the best tip for me has seemingly always been someone yelling "just fucking do it".

dime a dozen trend skater

• Rep: 6
« Reply #51 on: May 07, 2021, 10:00:33 PM »
I've read a lot of good 360 flip tips (scoop in the direction you are rolling, weight over the back leg, pressure on your big toe etc etc,) on here and they make sense in my head, but my body just doesn't want to do the motions.  :P

The back tail thread has been very helpful, its probably the trick I've progressed the fastest with. Reading that you need to do a solid ollie first then use your hips/front leg to sort of whip the board 90, rather than try to scoop it like you do a back 180 really unlocked them for me. They are still very much a work in progress for me but I think the tips I've read on here have really helped me understand the trick more than others I've tried to learn.

Noble Experiment

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 284
« Reply #52 on: May 07, 2021, 10:51:16 PM »
only trick tip I ever learned a trick from. learned them the next day after watching this.

Was just about to post this. Reynolds explains it so well (back foot in that pocket, having your upper/shoulders already turned, etc).

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1933
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #53 on: May 07, 2021, 11:37:33 PM »
Expand Quote
Sucks that it's on the berries but the gum/cigarette methods help me get the scoop right for 360 flips.
https://youtu.be/6YlQAFip5mc?t=37

Another tip that got me closer was that back foot scoop direction should be more of a behind you forward motion (as if you were trying to push your back lag towards the front of your board but keeping it behind your front leg (hard to explain and  I cant find the vid but this one is saying the same thing:

https://youtu.be/pT6n82iLeeg?t=32

My tip for impossibles:

Visualize how a bicycle crank works (facing the crank and using your hand to rotate it). Now pretend you are grabbing a pedal from the 3 O'clock position and bring it up to 12 O'clock really fast. 5:30 is where you ollie and 630 is where you push the back forward and start to bring it up.

Ollie (we're not doing bitch 360 shuvs here) now you push down and forward just slightly then complete the crank motion.

Thing is, it's not a fast trick when you first learn it...it's very slow do to the wrap motion and the wrap doesn't work like a tre flip, you have to make it wrap but making your back foot moved down, forward and up...you've all done the motion of you done them sitting down popping the tail and fucking around.
[close]

What does my front foot do during this entire time? Like the bicycle crank visual you mentioned.

Mike Mo kickflip video for those who were looking.

Tried this, fixed my kickflips up today. Was hating them over the past few weeks and couldn't get the timing right. Popping closer to the tip helped get the board off the ground instead of me ninja kicking prematurely.

not an actual trick tip but i learned how to front shuv much better from watching chris cole; bringing the front knee up instead of out made it click.

This one helped a lot too, the board rotated under my feet and I didn't have to jump back as much.

I've read a lot of good 360 flip tips (scoop in the direction you are rolling, weight over the back leg, pressure on your big toe etc etc,) on here and they make sense in my head, but my body just doesn't want to do the motions.  :P

The back tail thread has been very helpful, its probably the trick I've progressed the fastest with. Reading that you need to do a solid ollie first then use your hips/front leg to sort of whip the board 90, rather than try to scoop it like you do a back 180 really unlocked them for me. They are still very much a work in progress for me but I think the tips I've read on here have really helped me understand the trick more than others I've tried to learn.

Glad that thread helped you out. I've shared this picture so many times to everyone trying them -

Using the back foot to give a slight nudge after locking in is needed to overcome the inertia of locking in so you can keep sliding forward, really get that baseplate pressed up against the ledge for the controlled slide. Also, rotating / opening up your shoulder after locking in ensures you can keep your forward momentum and prevent just slipping out fakie.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

metsuri

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #54 on: May 07, 2021, 11:39:25 PM »
The way I got taught back 5-0 to fakies  was by placing my back foot on the pocket of the tail similar to you would for a 360 flip and focusing my weight on pinching down on it so that I actually grinded inside the ramp instead of on top. For going back in if you have trouble committing, try going to rock to fakie a few times (works for learning a lot of lip-tricks too). I personally find it easier to come back in fakie while grinding it as the momentum will help guide you in.

Apart from the that, the best tip for me has seemingly always been someone yelling "just fucking do it".

Leaning somewhat into the transition instead of being directly on top is key but you must have your weight on your heel, as that heel to toe technique is crucial. You pinch with your heel and the wheel that's under your heel, that part of the truck.

Octobre Rouge.

• Rep: -2
  • Black metal and ledge skating
« Reply #55 on: May 07, 2021, 11:44:23 PM »
I'd like to thank Grosso for the  "deck your fucking rock" advice.

Logic

« Reply #56 on: May 08, 2021, 12:11:40 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Leaning somewhat into the transition instead of being directly on top is key but you must have your weight on your heel, as that heel to toe technique is crucial. You pinch with your heel and the wheel that's under your heel, that part of the truck.

Took me longer than it should have to picture that, but right you are.

metsuri

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #57 on: May 08, 2021, 12:56:23 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Pivot to fakies, without grinding, I find easier switch, because I'm much more comfortable coming in forward. I can apply that heel to toe with much more confidence on my front foot. When grinding it's easier regular. Go figure...

Logic

« Reply #58 on: May 08, 2021, 09:12:06 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

Pivot to fakies, without grinding, I find easier switch, because I'm much more comfortable coming in forward. I can apply that heel to toe with much more confidence on my front foot. When grinding it's easier regular. Go figure...

Took me a while to grind them switch, haven't gotten them to the point where I can come back in while still grinding though.

The truly hard variation are FS 5-0 to fakies, never been shot out of a trick as much as trying them, extremely satisfying to roll away from however.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2021, 09:18:52 PM by Logic »

decaf

• Rep: -20
« Reply #59 on: May 09, 2021, 12:19:22 AM »
Can’t forget how in depth and precise Jamal Smith’s Tornado Spin trick tip was.