Author Topic: Seriously thinking of quitting skateboarding because of black/bruised toenails  (Read 4149 times)

Wheelbyte

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -34
1. HOT AND COLD WATER BATHS
Contrast baths are a form of hot and cold immersion therapy used to soothe sore muscles. The practice is known to reduce swelling, pain and encourage blood flow throughout the feet. Warm water causes vasodilation, which is followed by cold water that produces vasoconstriction. Alternating between both hot and cold baths pumps stagnant fluid out of the area, reducing inflammation. To begin, have a seat on the edge of your tub and allow warm water to flow freely over your feet for about 3 minutes. Next, switch the water to a cold temperature you can tolerate, and continue to allow the water to flow. Cycle between the two temperatures six times.
2. EPSOM SALT
Don't be confused—Epsom salt isn't for food. The name is derived specifically from the chemical structure of the substance. When exposed to water, Epsom salt breaks down into magnesium and sulfate. Adding Epsom salt to a warm bath will allow your body to soak in these chemicals, which work to reduce pain, swelling, and bruises. During an Epsom salt bath, make sure the water is very warm and add about one or two cups of salt. Leave your feet in the water for at least 12 minutes, and be sure to relax. Leave your feet in the water for at least 12 minutes, and be sure to relax.
3. ICE
Ice therapy is one of the most useful home remedies for foot pain. Using ice can quickly reduce soreness, swelling and promote muscle health. Fill a bucket with water, then add ice. Dip your feet into the bucket and relax. Don't leave your feet in the ice bath for longer than 20 minutes. Perform several short treatments for the best results.
4. MASSAGES
Few things feel better than a good foot massage. Add in a little massage oil, and you're a little closer to heaven! If you want to try a massage to reduce foot pain, be sure to focus on trigger points. During the massage seek out tender spots in your feet and press on them, while gently stretching. These spots will feel like tight bands of tissue. Using oil for the massage will help encourage blood flow, stretch your muscles and increase flexibility.
5. FISH OIL
Omega-3 oils are perfect for supporting nerve health and preventing foot pain. Adding a fish oil supplement to your daily routine, or simply introducing more seafood to your diet can improve the healing process and decrease inflammation. A recent study overseen by JM Kremmer revealed that patients who regularly consume fish oil decrease the intensity and frequency of pain. These patients also experienced less joint stiffness and inflammatory swelling in their joints. Fish oil can reduce the occurrences of foot pain and help feet feel more flexible.
6. WORKOUT YOUR FEET
The muscle groups of your feet make up about 25 percent of your body's muscles. It'd be insane to actively ignore the strength and function of such an important muscle group. Exercising the foot muscles helps to restore the length of the lower leg muscles, increases balance across the body and reduce foot pain. For one simple exercise, you can add to your morning routine you'll only need a towel. Drop a towel on the floor, and use your toes to scrunch the towel up towards your feet slowly. Repeat this motion about four to five times before you start your day.
7. KICK YOUR FEET UP
Sometimes all you need is a little relaxation. Taking some time to elevate your fee will help reduce pressure throughout your legs. In most cases, elevating your legs feels pretty good immediately. The moment you lift your feet, blood is encouraged to flow within the veins of your legs. Maintaining an elevated position gives your feet a break for a few hours, and allows blood to move freely throughout the rest of the body.
8. STRETCHING
When in doubt, stretch it out! Stretching is the easiest way to relieve tension and pain in the feet. After a long day on your feet, a good stretch can do wonders. We worked with Dr. Warner to create a list of the best stretches for plantar fasciitis pain relief. Each of these stretches targets the plantar fascia, delivering long-lasting relaxation. Click here to try out some the most helpful stretches for plantar fasciitis pain.
9. SWITCH OUT YOUR SHOES/REPLACE WORN SHOES
Unfortunately, it may be time to retire some of your favorite shoes. Older shoes provide an unstable environment for feet and forces abnormal movements. Footwear should always provide support, cushion, and be rigid enough to keep the feet balanced. It's healthy to replace your shoes every six months, especially workout shoes. If you're not sure if your shoes are worn out examine the sole tread pattern. If the pattern is worn down it may be time to chuck that pair.

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1061
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Stop seeing regular doctors, go to a podiatrist.

I used to have heaps of ingrown toenail problems (unrelated to skating) to the point they just permanently removed mine. Trust me -  you'll be happier skating without toenails than not skating with toenails. Plus stubbing your toe hurts less
[close]

I back up the good podiatrist rec and have seen one also for ingrown toenails. Now what I do is cut my nails with those special expensive scissor-like clippers and not the regular old-fashioned nail clippers. Best investment I ever made and haven't had a problem since.

Yo, getting the nails completely permanently removed sounds insane though. Not saying you didn't have to but...did you at least try cutting them with the scissor-like clippers first? And did they have to, like, cauterize the nail bed to make it not grow back?
[close]

I’ve had this done because of constant ingrown toenails on both of my big toes, my socks would just fill up with blood from a few minutes of walking, forget skating haha.
It sounds like they had the whole nail removed though, but for me they cut either side of your nail with a scalpel, and then basically pry them off with pliers lol. And it leaves you with a cute little strip of a nail down the middle. It’s pretty fucking barbaric, akin to torture, and recovery is a bitch. I had it done 4-5 times on each foot til I finally told them to cauterize it so it will never grow back the same=no ingrown toenails. I wish I told them to cauterize it the first time...

The operation I had was under a local. They remove the cells that generate excess toe nails. Hurts like hell for 2 days and you won’t skate for two weeks but after that your nails are normal.

I don’t think that is OP’s issue though, but his pinky toe looks like his shoe fit is too tight.

If he quits over his big piggy hurting thou then I question his love of the game. I turned my left foot 90 degrees and was back on a board within a year.

Noble Experiment

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 284
You’re gonna have to heat up the tip of an unfolded paper clip with a lighter and poke a hole through it and drain the blood if you’re trying to relieve pressure.
It’s a pretty nerve-racking process but once it’s done it feels so good. The blood will just spurt out like a mellow volcano too. Your nail will fall off not long after that too.

DaleSr

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1434
I lost my left big toenail around six or seven years ago after guillotine-ing my foot trying a tre (caught it primo, did the "action" with a set marker type deal). My toe was incredibly tender, and i probably had to take almost a year off with no toe nail, and then take it real easy for another year while it fully grew back. I don't have any issues with it now, but that's just my experience with toes

gengargastly

• Rep: -2
I lost my left big toenail around six or seven years ago after guillotine-ing my foot trying a tre (caught it primo, did the "action" with a set marker type deal). My toe was incredibly tender, and i probably had to take almost a year off with no toe nail, and then take it real easy for another year while it fully grew back. I don't have any issues with it now, but that's just my experience with toes
Yeah, and that's exactly my issue with this all. If my nail eventually comes off it'll take at least a year for it to fully grow back, making me unable to skateboard for a huge period of time. Only to probably experience the same issue again, as I had this issue several times already.

Brguy

Maybe you've tried it but those Dr. Scholl machines are pretty commonplace and can pick out pressure points in your foot if you if you can't afford to see a podiatrist. Might need some blood work to see if you're anemic amongst other things. I'm 31, My back is fucked, both my meniscuses are torn and I'm type 1 diabetic with neuropathy and I just keep it low impact. No shame in slowing down, people are just dealt a bad hand sometimes.
You can never grow too old to bomb hills though.

DaleSr

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1434
Expand Quote
[close]
Yeah, and that's exactly my issue with this all. If my nail eventually comes off it'll take at least a year for it to fully grow back, making me unable to skateboard for a huge period of time. Only to probably experience the same issue again, as I had this issue several times already.

Yeah I'd say take a break and also

you should get checked for diabetes

dustyassrocketswitchv

• Rep: -137
big texas cummer

Giftedly Hater’d

• Rep: 414

Lose the shoes

Utopos

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -23
  • Who Cares

ok boomer

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1028
  • Gnar Kook
I had both big toes looking like that with a pair of too tight Busenitz vulcs. Took months to get back to normal.
I half sized up and got more of those shoes, only to then suffer from heel slip (but no crazy toe), thus I gave up on Adidas, because that's 3 or 4 of their shoes that do not fit me right. (along with Busenitz Pro and the 3mc)

Wheelbyte

• Rep: -34
I had both big toes looking like that with a pair of too tight Busenitz vulcs. Took months to get back to normal.
I half sized up and got more of those shoes, only to then suffer from heel slip (but no crazy toe), thus I gave up on Adidas, because that's 3 or 4 of their shoes that do not fit me right. (along with Busenitz Pro and the 3mc)

skaters need to seriously get properly fitting shoes
I can only wear a straight last sole
I bet few people actually know what that means...

indysk8r

• Rep: -22
I hate black toenails and they are about to make me quit my lifelong hobby and passion: skateboarding. I'm a 27 year old guy and I can't anymore. Back in the day when I skated I never got them. But the last two years it has started to occur. The bruised toenails often hurt, ranging from a bit to a lot. It's always my big toenails and I have no idea what I can do anymore to prevent myself from getting them, literally tried everything already. I guess I am just prone to getting black toenails and I freaking hate it. They hurt, and with every ollie I pop I feel pain. I am slowly accepting that this skateboarding (or any sport involving my feet/toes in any kind of way) is not for me anymore. Several visits to the doctor also had no results. Just got the casual "take it easy, it will go away after a new nail grows, but this might take up to a year". This doesn't help me in any way, as I skateboard at leat two times a week and it gets worse after every session. Also got my toenails drilled once to release blood/pressure, but it just continued after that. I even took a 10 month break and my toenails went back to somewhat "normal". First skateboarding session (great shoes, great socks, careful on steep hills) and guess what? Instantly got black toenails again. How does everyone manage and feel about this?

When thinking about it, it seems weird. Some doctors even say you get black toenails from wearing shoes that are too big (because of repetitive sliding of your toes, bumping into the front of your shoe). But others say you HAVE to wear shoes bigger than your actual size. It's just so so weird.

I have tried everything already. An extremely healthy diet and lifestyle, shoes that fit perfect, shoes that are smaller/bigger/way bigger than my regular size, bigger toebox, insoles, silicone toe protectors, skateboarding without socks, running with socks, running with two pairs of socks, different brands of shoes, doctors visits... I am seriously at the point of giving it all up.

I remember in the past I used to help my friends with moving houses and fridges/closets/boulders fell on my toes. But it didn’t ever give me a black/bruised toenail. And now a simple thing as skateboarding is giving me black toes?

Pic related.

HAVE YOU TRIED BIGGER SHOES LOL like i do not understand how else this would ever happen

Vitriol

• Rep: 36
Timbs?

ninformatic

• Rep: -7
I had the same issue while wearing new balances

gengargastly

• Rep: -2
Oh I see there's some confusion, so @ everyone, the pic in the OP is NOT my foot. It's just a foot that has a black toenail, for reference.

EdLawndale

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1098
    • My Wife avatar image
Oh I see there's some confusion, so @ everyone, the pic in the OP is NOT my foot. It's just a foot that has a black toenail, for reference.

focus
"Was just about to say, wtf is up with this EdLawndale guy?"

OldSkater

• Rep: -49
this has happened to me twice and im 32. such a pain in the ass waiting for the nail to regrow and it can come back fucked up. I know for me, its because my nails grow really fast. so unless i cut them every week, ill end up with a long toenail. and if i stub my toe while skating, or hit it with the board or anything, i get the dead toenail bullshit IM PRETTY SURE because the extra nail length acts like a lever, putting bad pressure on the nail bed. Now I just trim really regularly so that doesn't happen.

lilwheelz

ok quit

Miller92

• Rep: -282
this isnt normal and you need to see a podiatrist

UselessAsshole

• Rep: 200
Expand Quote
Maybe you've tried it but those Dr. Scholl machines are pretty commonplace and can pick out pressure points in your foot if you if you can't afford to see a podiatrist. Might need some blood work to see if you're anemic amongst other things. I'm 31, My back is fucked, both my meniscuses are torn and I'm type 1 diabetic with neuropathy and I just keep it low impact. No shame in slowing down, people are just dealt a bad hand sometimes.
[close]
You can never grow too old to bomb hills though.

Negative shame in speeding up