Author Topic: Half cab flip  (Read 896 times)

TurdyBird

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 153
  • <3
Half cab flip
« on: May 15, 2021, 12:42:00 AM »
Anytime I try this they rocket into my shins/ankles. I usually try one and stop since the pain after the first T is not something I can deal with back to back. I can fakie flip pretty consistent and half cab pretty solid as well.

I think my biggest issue is trying to flick out as I rotate. I try to flick as I rotate but my toe goes more toward the middle of the nose or toe side. Then the board projects into my shins/ankles. My thick skull can't think of what I'm doing wrong. I hope I explained what I'm doing well enough.

Please help me and my dummy brain
The chillest1

Urtripping

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 531
Re: Half cab flip
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2021, 03:28:04 AM »
One thing I keep in mind while trying these is to rotate from the bottom up... meaning it starts with the half cab style sweeping pop, then your hips follow while you flick, and the last thing to come around is your shoulders. I noticed if I don't think about controlling the rotation from the bottom up, I tend to miss the flick.

Another thing that helps me when I do them is to shift my weight more toward my flicking foot and leaning slightly heelside just before the pop. I think the biggest trick is getting the timing down and for you, probably trying to lighten up on the flick and flicking out like you said. Watch Bobby DeKyzer do them over and over, then go out and try to use those mirror neurons!
« Last Edit: May 15, 2021, 07:26:27 AM by Urtripping »
I saw your mommy and your mommy's dead

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2021, 07:28:06 AM »
A friend of mine from back in the taught me them like this: it’s basically just a half cab with your toe in kick flip position, sounds rudimentary but after that I had them on lock for years. Would like to know how to the really nice popped ones though, the way I do them is pretty sloppy to be honest ...

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

TurdyBird

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 153
  • <3
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2021, 09:17:22 AM »
Thank you @Urtripping and @Gay Imp Sausage Metal! Gonna try these tips today!!
The chillest1

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2021, 11:32:25 AM »
A friend of mine from back in the taught me them like this: it’s basically just a half cab with your toe in kick flip position, sounds rudimentary but after that I had them on lock for years. Would like to know how to the really nice popped ones though, the way I do them is pretty sloppy to be honest ...

The popped ones are no scoop, just downwards pop with your shoulders already leading the turn and and then a tweaked kickflip kind of motion with no sign of varial, instead for the rotation you sort of rely on realigning your hips with your shoulders as you form the kickflip so that it turns with you when the board is on the come up. Technically you're turning but it shouldn't feel like a trick that goes to the side (whereas the non-popped ones really do), instead you focus on the fakie ollie and then flick and turn. Very similar technique to getting halfcabs as high as your ollies/forming them late or to how some people do backside flips regs if that speaks to you.

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 517
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2021, 12:43:52 PM »
Pop straight down without scooping, flick it straight off the nose, aggressively and in the direction that you're turning. The tweak/fold from the flick makes the board turn.

Urtripping

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 531
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2021, 12:46:37 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

The popped ones are no scoop, just downwards pop with your shoulders already leading the turn and and then a tweaked kickflip kind of motion with no sign of varial, instead for the rotation you sort of rely on realigning your hips with your shoulders as you form the kickflip so that it turns with you when the board is on the come up. Technically you're turning but it shouldn't feel like a trick that goes to the side (whereas the non-popped ones really do), instead you focus on the fakie ollie and then flick and turn. Very similar technique to getting halfcabs as high as your ollies/forming them late or to how some people do backside flips regs if that speaks to you.

Ok I'm definitely thinking I'm a scooper after reading this but I am gonna start trying to rework them

https://imgur.com/gallery/mTPFjU6
I saw your mommy and your mommy's dead

Blueabyssofthisss

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2021, 12:52:34 PM »
I just focus on doing a proper fakie flip while my back foot is in position for a half cab. The best looking and feeling ones I’ve done, i mob flip it very slightly at the end. Sounds gross but it actually wraps really cool like. I’ve used this “mob” feeling on regular bs flips too
« Last Edit: May 17, 2021, 04:38:39 AM by Blueabyssofthisss »