Author Topic: Should we not use songs from other sports videos in skate videos?  (Read 2859 times)

Algar

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 28
Re: Should we not use songs from other sports videos in skate videos?
« Reply #30 on: May 09, 2021, 02:12:48 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

To be fair though I don't really know shit about snowboarding either, so it could be overestimating how many snowboarders actually skate/know anything about skating.
[close]

I'm Canadian and have been around snowboarders my entire life, and truth be told, most of them couldn't name a single skate video to save their lives, much like most people here couldn't name a single snowboarding video. They skate a bit so their legs stay in shape for the next season, that's it. They don't care about our scene, much like we don't care about theirs.

JJ's part was awesome, but it's iconic only to those who bought Mindfield almost 15 years ago, most people outside the core skate scene don't have a fucking clue who JJ is.

If they wanted that song and the band allows it, it's fair game to me.
[close]

Absolute nonsense. From the beginning snowboarding has been shaped by people who came from skateboarding.
From the og's like Terry Kidwell and Noah Salasnek through to guys like Jed Anderson. They were all skating before they started snowboarding and would consider themselves as much a skater as they would a snowboarder.
If you are talking about average dingleberries who go on a snowboard holiday for 3 days once a year, sure pretty good chance they don't skate and know nothing about it but almost every real snowboarder I know who is worth a damn skates, understands skate culture and consumes skate media.
We don't skate for off season training, we skate all year round and snowboard as long as there is snow on the ground.
As far as the topic at hand, I think it's not a two way street.
Snowboarding is so heavily influenced by skating that using a song from a skate part is and always should be taboo but as demonstrated by this thread, skaters who don't snowboard know nothing about snowboarding and draw no inspiration from it. As such, they should not have to worry about a song having been used in a snowboard movie.

Yeah, I think you nailed it.  I started snow boarding in the Midwest after skating for a few years.  If there was a good option for skating in the winter I probably would have just skated year round, and it was the same for a lot of other kids in my town, although tons of kids just snowboarders and then there were snowboarders that skated.  Snowboarders that had nothing to do with skating at all were usually not that cool to be honest. 

I’ve been listening to a bunch of the bombhole episodes and it’s interesting to see how many guys say they became pro snowboarders because they wanted to be pro skaters but there was no chance of that happening.  Also, a lot of dudes say they basically want snowboard videos to feel just like skate videos, Inthink Mikey Leblanc said that he basically emulated zero videos and stuff.  That just doesn’t happen the other way around. 

Dwyck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 150
  • Harley-Davidson Ironwing
« Reply #31 on: May 09, 2021, 09:34:03 PM »
Mason Silva's first song in his Spitfire part had been used in Jed's Adidas snowboard part a year before, and that really bothered me, as I've watched Jed's part a lot. But yeah I doubt skateboarders pay attention to snowboarding. Though the other way around it's a bit more suspect. Craig McMorris used Return of the Mack in one of his movies not even 6 months after Ishod's part came out. I feel like you can tell when the person knew the song had been used

this is smaller scale but Kyota umeki skated to an aphex twin song that was in Crazy Loco and it bugged me but I figured no one involved had seen it because they don't snowboard/were in middle school when it came out. but that adidas part was big man, it was like a comeback part. Street snowboarding just seems so much smaller
Regular stance is a mental disorder defined by the DSM-5

veritas

« Reply #32 on: May 09, 2021, 10:14:20 PM »
There’s only a finite amount of music creativity out there man. It’s already difficult enough to not reuse songs within skating. Ragdoll reused Ave’s song from Photo and that was in bad taste. Any other discipline should be fair game.

The ragdoll rip was the first thing that came to mind, it's a pretty flagrant violation considering that AVE part is a classic.

Xenu Berra

• Rep: -2
« Reply #33 on: May 09, 2021, 11:47:44 PM »
Was listening to Jed Anderson’s bomb hole podcast and he brought up how Burton used the song jj skated to in mind field in there video this year, n how he thought that was disrespectful, now the other way around as skaters should we not use music that’s got famous history in snowboarding videos? Gx1000 used bamer weed in their last video n the mayhem guys had a section to that song about a year prior to the gx video coming out. Personally I don’t think it matters there to completely different things just core snowboarding sucking skateboardings ass while they don’t care about snowboarding.

I made that video with the Mayhem section to Bammer Weed, personally I don’t care that GX used it afterwards. I think there is an unspoken rule when it comes to iconic skating parts & not using the music in snowboarding yet a lot of people in the industry don’t have that respect.

Guys like Craig McMorris skate & are friends with a lot of the big wigs from the skate side of things. Pretty rough he used Ishod’s song in my opinion.

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1209
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #34 on: May 10, 2021, 06:19:10 AM »
I’m using the intro music from Sports Illustrated Greatest Sports Follies 1989 in my next edit and there’s nothing you can do to stop me.
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

Fraserjamesjollyjamieson

• Rep: -17
  • Brown 2
« Reply #35 on: May 10, 2021, 06:45:11 AM »
Expand Quote
Was listening to Jed Anderson’s bomb hole podcast and he brought up how Burton used the song jj skated to in mind field in there video this year, n how he thought that was disrespectful, now the other way around as skaters should we not use music that’s got famous history in snowboarding videos? Gx1000 used bamer weed in their last video n the mayhem guys had a section to that song about a year prior to the gx video coming out. Personally I don’t think it matters there to completely different things just core snowboarding sucking skateboardings ass while they don’t care about snowboarding.
[close]

I made that video with the Mayhem section to Bammer Weed, personally I don’t care that GX used it afterwards. I think there is an unspoken rule when it comes to iconic skating parts & not using the music in snowboarding yet a lot of people in the industry don’t have that respect.

Guys like Craig McMorris skate & are friends with a lot of the big wigs from the skate side of things. Pretty rough he used Ishod’s song in my opinion.

Is horgmo really as involved in making those videos as it seems? He always seemed ahead of the curve with all that stuff, he was really a YouTuber before being a youtuber was a thing always wondered if he just throws money at it and let’s the production side do all the work or if he’s actually involved?

ok boomer

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1028
  • Gnar Kook
« Reply #36 on: May 10, 2021, 07:12:18 AM »
I’m using the intro music from Sports Illustrated Greatest Sports Follies 1989 in my next edit and there’s nothing you can do to stop me.

I'm more of a 1989 Dazzling Dunks kinda guy but I'm feeling this

fulltechnicalskizzy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1936
« Reply #37 on: May 10, 2021, 08:44:10 AM »
Expand Quote
use songs from subaru commercials only
[close]

you mean the black keys' whole discography?

bigdave

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 180
ok thanks

OnSlapAtWork

• Rep: 15
« Reply #39 on: May 10, 2021, 12:12:01 PM »
As someone who films/edits both street skating and snowboarding, I would say that jacking a song from a skateboard video is super lame and shows lack of effort.

Burton using the Animal Collective song was just pure laziness and disrespect.  I can almost guarantee there was someone at Burton who knew that Jake had used it in Mind Field.  Maybe they said something to the editor, maybe Burton already had music rights, who knows.  Either way, it was just lame and an obvious rip off to the majority of core snowboarders who watch skate videos as influence.

I think if a skate video jacks a song from a snowboard video that is a little more forgiveable and maybe the editor doesn't even watch snowboarding vids.  Sometimes, it is pretty obvious when a song gets jacked from a snowboard video.  I think someone mentioned the Mason Silva Spitfire vid?

Sarah by Ween was used in Brad Cromer's Krooked part, but this snowboarder Layne Treeter had used it in his video about a year or less prior to that.  Coincidence, maybe, or maybe they found the song from that vid and though no one would know/care.

Song starts at about 2:50

Either way, I think the best editors should be trying to search for rare music.  My favorite videos have always introduced me to new tracks/artists.

Manolo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 467
« Reply #40 on: May 10, 2021, 12:28:32 PM »
There's like 300 parts coming out every year.. it's already hard to keep track what has been used or not in skateboarding alone.

sometimeperhaps

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 143
« Reply #41 on: May 10, 2021, 12:31:46 PM »
That Layne Treeter part was great. Thanks for posting it.

artskool

• Rep: 30
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #42 on: May 10, 2021, 02:12:41 PM »
Spot on. Repeat uses of music are due to a lack of effort, and/or lack of imagination. Burton using that song was mega lame. A filmmaker's job is to know the culture and its surroundings.

As someone who films/edits both street skating and snowboarding, I would say that jacking a song from a skateboard video is super lame and shows lack of effort.

Burton using the Animal Collective song was just pure laziness and disrespect.  I can almost guarantee there was someone at Burton who knew that Jake had used it in Mind Field.  Maybe they said something to the editor, maybe Burton already had music rights, who knows.  Either way, it was just lame and an obvious rip off to the majority of core snowboarders who watch skate videos as influence.

I think if a skate video jacks a song from a snowboard video that is a little more forgiveable and maybe the editor doesn't even watch snowboarding vids.  Sometimes, it is pretty obvious when a song gets jacked from a snowboard video.  I think someone mentioned the Mason Silva Spitfire vid?

Sarah by Ween was used in Brad Cromer's Krooked part, but this snowboarder Layne Treeter had used it in his video about a year or less prior to that.  Coincidence, maybe, or maybe they found the song from that vid and though no one would know/care.

Song starts at about 2:50

Either way, I think the best editors should be trying to search for rare music.  My favorite videos have always introduced me to new tracks/artists.

bigdave

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #43 on: May 10, 2021, 03:08:55 PM »
Burton using the Animal Collective song was just pure laziness and disrespect.

Definitely yes.

maybe Burton already had music rights, who knows. 

Definitely not.
ok thanks

bigdave

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #44 on: May 10, 2021, 03:10:15 PM »
There's like 300 parts coming out every year.. it's already hard to keep track what has been used or not in skateboarding alone.

mmmm yes if you wanna talk about 5 minute crew edits that find their way to Thrasher on a random Wednesday. Ok. That I might buy. (though it would take very little effort to investigate)

However sir what we are talking about is fucking MINDFIELD.
ok thanks

whaaaaat

• Rep: 46
« Reply #45 on: May 10, 2021, 04:40:22 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

To be fair though I don't really know shit about snowboarding either, so it could be overestimating how many snowboarders actually skate/know anything about skating.
[close]

I'm Canadian and have been around snowboarders my entire life, and truth be told, most of them couldn't name a single skate video to save their lives, much like most people here couldn't name a single snowboarding video. They skate a bit so their legs stay in shape for the next season, that's it. They don't care about our scene, much like we don't care about theirs.

JJ's part was awesome, but it's iconic only to those who bought Mindfield almost 15 years ago, most people outside the core skate scene don't have a fucking clue who JJ is.

[close]

Absolute nonsense. From the beginning snowboarding has been shaped by people who came from skateboarding.
From the og's like Terry Kidwell and Noah Salasnek through to guys like Jed Anderson. They were all skating before they started snowboarding and would consider themselves as much a skater as they would a snowboarder.
If you are talking about average dingleberries who go on a snowboard holiday for 3 days once a year, sure pretty good chance they don't skate and know nothing about it but almost every real snowboarder I know who is worth a damn skates, understands skate culture and consumes skate media.
We don't skate for off season training, we skate all year round and snowboard as long as there is snow on the ground.
Snowboarding is so heavily influenced by skating that using a song from a skate part is and always should be taboo but as demonstrated by this thread, skaters who don't snowboard know nothing about snowboarding and draw no inspiration from it. As such, they should not have to worry about a song having been used in a snowboard movie.

ding ding ding! Nearly every snowboarder (and surfer, for that matter) either is, or wishes they were, a skater. Not even close to true the other way around.

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 497
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #46 on: May 10, 2021, 06:10:09 PM »
Lol

Not Fucking Awesome

• Rep: 0
« Reply #47 on: May 11, 2021, 07:32:53 AM »
No idea what this thread is about but in my book Disorder by Joy Division and Waiting Room by Fugazi should be in EVERY skate video

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1569
« Reply #48 on: May 11, 2021, 01:05:29 PM »
Do you believe this? This is the Jamies, man! "Summertime, Summertime!" - the most musically inventive song of 1958! What are you eating? Shrimp? Are you gonna tell me this song doesn't go with your shrimp?

keepthefunkalive

• Rep: 129
« Reply #49 on: May 11, 2021, 05:07:04 PM »

GinosGroceries

« Reply #50 on: May 11, 2021, 05:12:24 PM »
I don’t know but I do think someone should reuse Rooster.

Stallion did not do that song justice

lemonchicken91

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 242
« Reply #51 on: May 11, 2021, 05:17:14 PM »
I heard neen is going to skate to love will tear us apart
no, i live in an efficiency by myself and work in middle management like you, loser

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 247
« Reply #52 on: May 11, 2021, 05:19:27 PM »
Can't blame snowboarders for re-using skatevideo songs when skaters re-use songs. Vans in like a 2 year period re-used a song from Sylvain Tognelli's 11th Hour Part, and then re-used a song from a Jake Hayes part for No Other Way. Both Krooked and Former re-used songs from Atlantic Drift edits.

k-nutz

• Rep: 49
« Reply #53 on: May 11, 2021, 05:40:15 PM »
Expand Quote
There’s only a finite amount of music creativity out there man. It’s already difficult enough to not reuse songs within skating. Ragdoll reused Ave’s song from Photo and that was in bad taste. Any other discipline should be fair game.
[close]

The ragdoll rip was the first thing that came to mind, it's a pretty flagrant violation considering that AVE part is a classic.

To me, the most egregious Is Paul Rodriguez in the City Stars video, using the same Michael Jackson song as Guy.

Allen.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 714
    • Cigarettes for Cardio avatar image
« Reply #54 on: May 11, 2021, 05:42:58 PM »
I love that some people think nobody had ever heard of a platinum selling single before Ishod skated to it.

And anyways, real OGs know that’s Dill’s song  ;)
For someone w.no signature ur awfully hostile, & that is why I do this

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 247
« Reply #55 on: May 11, 2021, 05:57:21 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

To me, the most egregious Is Paul Rodriguez in the City Stars video, using the same Michael Jackson song as Guy.
I believe the P-Rod one was a homage to Guy's Video Day's part (with P-Rod being a kid prodigy like Guy) and Kareem asked Guy about it ahead of time. Similar to Lucian's Victoria Benches intro in Palasonic being a homage to Toby Shaull's part in Headcleaner. I feel that's a bit different than a direct bite.

lilwheelz

« Reply #56 on: May 11, 2021, 06:30:07 PM »
shits mad tricky, theres no pleasing everyone, sometimes its just like fuck it, biting is still biting tho, but ya a person could be completely unaware, but you could drive yourself insane trying to find something thats truly never been used, perhaps

Xenu Berra

• Rep: -2
« Reply #57 on: May 12, 2021, 02:36:13 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Is horgmo really as involved in making those videos as it seems? He always seemed ahead of the curve with all that stuff, he was really a YouTuber before being a youtuber was a thing always wondered if he just throws money at it and let’s the production side do all the work or if he’s actually involved?

Yeah Torstein is heavily involved in all of the Shred Bots content. He makes beats on the side & is usually the one picking the music for everything. When I was working with him I tried to bring back “game of in your face” but he was pretty adamant on creating new things instead of relying on his old ideas.

• Rep: 31
« Reply #58 on: May 12, 2021, 02:47:08 PM »
Was watching a Bocce ball video and got pissed because Jose Botto used "Souls of Mischief" by Souls of Mischief and I was like wtf that's Tony Ro's shit.

TheBoognish

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 129
« Reply #59 on: May 12, 2021, 03:58:04 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I agree that snowboarding has been shaped by skateboarding, I'm not arguing that.

I'm just saying I've been snowboarding and skiing for over 25 years (started with skiing, went to snowboarding, now do both), have spent a few years in BC living the skibum life riding 100+ days a year and have ridden all over the US. The backcountry and big mountains riders I know here and hung out with in BC generally aren't into skate culture, they're really into mountain biking and fly fishing. Sure a few of them skate, hell a few of them rip, but for the most part, what is happening inside skate culture just isn't important to them like it is to us, it's not a passion for them.

The skiers I've met were more into it though, surprisingly. Obviously the park rats are into it, so I guess it just depends on your local scene.  If most of the snowboarders you know are park riders, obviously, chances are they will be into skating. Backcountry/big mountain/pow scene... ehh not so much.

Now over here on the East Coast (Quebec), our mountains are small so the park, halfpipe and street scenes are big, so yes, these guys tend to skate more and be more into it.

This is just my experience from the people I've been around and lived with. Might be different where you're at and the people you ride with. Scenes are different from one place to another, don't forget that.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2021, 04:07:19 PM by TheBoognish »