Author Topic: I keep fucking up my back on 180s, has anyone had the same?  (Read 602 times)

rock2fakie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 7
so last summer i really fucked up my back while i was winding up for a bs 180 (i think? could also be a half cab, dont remember). i felt it pretty much as soon as i popped, but the movement was set in motion already so i couldnt stop. when i landed i couldnt really get up, and for the next couple days i could barely stand, let alone walk.

i've kind of avoided doing a lot of 180s since then, but i was doing some bs 180s last night and while the first few felt fine, after a couple i could definitely feel it start to pinch when i was landing, and my back does feel slightly sore now. i have no idea what's causing this and i'm getting pretty frustrated bc if it. i turned 23 in december so i'd like to think my back isn't giving out already. has anyone had the same problem, and if yes how did you solve it?

Sila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 320
  • Jamu Gost
Re: I keep fucking up my back on 180s, has anyone had the same?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2021, 03:05:20 AM »
Go get an MRI. You might have some disc issues or something. Obviously, you shouldn't get back on the board until you know what's happening. This stuff can happen to people at any age and is more common in active younger folk, especially if you don't work on core, back, glute strength etc. I've got the same problems right now and i'm looking at least a few months off, if not more.

rock2fakie

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2021, 05:17:56 AM »
Go get an MRI. You might have some disc issues or something. Obviously, you shouldn't get back on the board until you know what's happening. This stuff can happen to people at any age and is more common in active younger folk, especially if you don't work on core, back, glute strength etc. I've got the same problems right now and i'm looking at least a few months off, if not more.

aw man and here i was hoping that i'd get away with some back stretches and strengthening exercises... which i suppose wouldnt hurt to do anyway. was planning on skating today but it's indeed smarter not to... thanks for sharing

dofrenzy

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2021, 06:57:54 AM »
I seriously fucked my lower back (age 50) trying my first rock-fakie on a small transition, but due to a crap mattress my back was already compromised.

I sat out for a week then brought my daughter to the skate park and planned to watch her but ended up skating, which I think I made it worse.

I had no choice but to take 6 weeks off.  For 4 weeks solid I could barely move and the next 2 weeks was a slow but progressive healing.

I didn’t get back on the board until I could not only touch my toes with locked knees, but also touch the ground and get as low as possible and hold it.  Not sure why, but I did feel that stretch was a good indicator that I was ready to get back to it.

Just wanted to share my experience.....I know we have some big differences but my ability to do a bend-over stretch seems like it helped a lot.  Good luck man.

rock2fakie

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2021, 08:48:48 AM »
I seriously fucked my lower back (age 50) trying my first rock-fakie on a small transition, but due to a crap mattress my back was already compromised.

I sat out for a week then brought my daughter to the skate park and planned to watch her but ended up skating, which I think I made it worse.

I had no choice but to take 6 weeks off.  For 4 weeks solid I could barely move and the next 2 weeks was a slow but progressive healing.

I didn’t get back on the board until I could not only touch my toes with locked knees, but also touch the ground and get as low as possible and hold it.  Not sure why, but I did feel that stretch was a good indicator that I was ready to get back to it.

Just wanted to share my experience.....I know we have some big differences but my ability to do a bend-over stretch seems like it helped a lot.  Good luck man.

hahah, honoring my username on here i see. i have been stretching pretty regularly and can touch my toes, although i would like to be more flexible still. im gonna get in touch with a physio/doctor once i get my insurance straightened out; i moved to a different country pretty recently. until then im gonna try to stay off the board and do regular stretching. im happy for you that you were able to get back to it! thanks for sharing

S.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 63
    • Fotos avatar image
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2021, 12:23:07 PM »
I agree with the other posters who recommended you see a doctor. I had some issues a few months ago and I think I got it from doing overly aggressive home work outs and then going out to skate and doing weird twist while working on blunt stalls.

What helped me was doing this short exercise every other day. It is designed to strengthen your back and the muscles that support your back. It is in german but it is pretty self explanatory.

https://youtu.be/EKJoeNhkNzU

Urtripping

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 530
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2021, 07:16:21 PM »
I experienced lower back pain that took my breath away and made sleeping uncomfortable and putting on shoes downright painful. It was after an unusually long session (all day pushing around the city) and stayed with me for about 2 or 3 months, usually flaring up worse after longish sessions on weekends.

That's when I decided to take flexibility and core strength a lot more seriously and started doing regular stretches. Now, that has become a full blown yoga habit, and I look forward to it after a session. Also, my back hasn't seriously hurt since I made flexibility work a regular practice.

You should definitely see a doctor just to know, but maybe consider working in this kind of routine where ya can. I honestly just pick two 10 min yoga videos and rotate them throughout the week depending on what I want to work on.
I saw your mommy and your mommy's dead

rock2fakie

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2021, 10:52:20 AM »
I agree with the other posters who recommended you see a doctor. I had some issues a few months ago and I think I got it from doing overly aggressive home work outs and then going out to skate and doing weird twist while working on blunt stalls.

What helped me was doing this short exercise every other day. It is designed to strengthen your back and the muscles that support your back. It is in german but it is pretty self explanatory.

https://youtu.be/EKJoeNhkNzU

Thank you for the link, I'll look into this! My German is decent so that's not a problem

I experienced lower back pain that took my breath away and made sleeping uncomfortable and putting on shoes downright painful. It was after an unusually long session (all day pushing around the city) and stayed with me for about 2 or 3 months, usually flaring up worse after longish sessions on weekends.

That's when I decided to take flexibility and core strength a lot more seriously and started doing regular stretches. Now, that has become a full blown yoga habit, and I look forward to it after a session. Also, my back hasn't seriously hurt since I made flexibility work a regular practice.

You should definitely see a doctor just to know, but maybe consider working in this kind of routine where ya can. I honestly just pick two 10 min yoga videos and rotate them throughout the week depending on what I want to work on.

Yeah I do stretch but I should really make it even more into a habit than I have thus far. 10-15 min yoga videos are the best.

Thank you guys for your contributions! I actually completely forgot my aunt is a physio so I called her and she also recommended I look into it with a doctor/physio here. Until then a lot of stretching and taking it easy :-)