Author Topic: Thrasher July 2021 - Grant Taylor!  (Read 4103 times)

fredgallSOTY

Hevonen

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 18
Re: Thrasher July 2021 - Grant Taylor!
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2021, 09:43:02 AM »
Don't know what's going on in that photo but looking forward to some new GT footy. Feels like it's been a while

bluntfullofmid

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2021, 10:17:34 AM »
"YEAAAAA GRANTT!" *Jake Phelps voice*
"yall act like abusin' women is so bad."
- Crailtap

friendly dave

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 736
  • grinding to a halt
    • grindingtoahalt avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2021, 11:07:32 AM »
This will probably get overlooked because it's a photo of Grant but, this is also another boring cover shot by Atiba.
Because you can't kill and idea, and we will not be ruled!

the visuals are also mad visual yo
FTW

Big_Dingus

• Rep: 5
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2021, 11:30:08 AM »
Love Grant but this a pretty underwhelming photo. Is he doing a kickflip to the street? An ollie north? Looks like a small gap. I don't get it. Which usually means the photog blew it.. thanks Atiba!

How he managed to get a bland photo of one of the best, most stylish skaters of all time is beyond me. Just get a picture of him boosting a backside air - boom! There's your cover!

duniwayRobber

• Rep: -140
  • ?
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2021, 11:51:10 AM »

hahah, fuck yeah. Anyone have a good Phelps story?

Here's mine -

Landed the best kickflip of my life on the Potrero step-up, the whole run up to the trick felt different. I had so much speed afterwards that I almost got launched out of the qp that is after it.

I'm feeling giddy but notice somebody running up on me. I'd been robbed in SF before so I was like, 'see yaaaaa'. I turn around and it's the fucking old man. He had ran over from who knows where to give me props. I was already rolling down the bank so he just waved his hand off, like 'fuck 'em'.

One of my biggest regrets was not going back to to thank him for that energy. Oh, it was like 8AM too.

Saw him mobbing around in that busted jeep(?) a lot too.

Hell ride.
fuck poutine we eat pussy out here.

shannamal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 352
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2021, 12:10:29 PM »
This will probably get overlooked because it's a photo of Grant but, this is also another boring cover shot by Atiba.

i'm going to bet this is a kickflip that he once again missed the flip on. he truly has terrible timing for how big he is.

i don’t think any of you are real, i think slap was invented by my mom to make me think people want to talk to me

assvogel

• Rep: 195
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2021, 01:42:28 PM »
Yeah! Just talked with a friend last week whether Grant has new footage coming.. Pretty sure thats a polejam to one foot?

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -763
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2021, 01:54:01 PM »
The Beagle 'people I've known' should be good.

Cover is very meh
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

Grind King Rims

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2021, 02:14:53 PM »

Glad it's not just me, I would go so far as to say this is a bad cover photo. All the sharp angles in the background is almost a nice effect, but the placement of Grant in the photo, the inability to really see the spot or trick, the colours of the setting/skater... This is a bad photo to use- of one of the greatest skaters of this generation, mind- as a cover of the last major skate publication.

dazedazedaze

• Rep: 7
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2021, 02:24:12 PM »
Yeah! Just talked with a friend last week whether Grant has new footage coming.. Pretty sure thats a polejam to one foot?

Utopos

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -23
  • Who Cares
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2021, 02:52:37 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Here's mine -

Landed the best kickflip of my life on the Potrero step-up, the whole run up to the trick felt different. I had so much speed afterwards that I almost got launched out of the qp that is after it.

I'm feeling giddy but notice somebody running up on me. I'd been robbed in SF before so I was like, 'see yaaaaa'. I turn around and it's the fucking old man. He had ran over from who knows where to give me props. I was already rolling down the bank so he just waved his hand off, like 'fuck 'em'.

One of my biggest regrets was not going back to to thank him for that energy. Oh, it was like 8AM too.

Hell ride.

I was staying at the Quality Inn for Tampa Pro. My buddy (who was 17 at the time) and I went out to get the continental breakfast. We got our food, sat down and one table over, Phelps was having a conversation with Zion's dad. Eventually Zion's dad leaves and Phelps is alone. He keeps glancing over at our table while my buddy is struggling to cut his waffle with a plastic fork and knife. Phelps then gets up and leaves, it was weird but I didn't give it much thought. Next thing I know, Phelps is sitting at our table, pulls the plate away from my friend and starts cutting up his waffle for him. "See? this is how you do it. You don't stab at it like a fucking person." It was one of the funniest moments of my life. I ended up having a really cool conversation about KOTR and the history of Tampa Pro.

Mr. Stinky

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 311
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2021, 02:56:54 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

The way you can tell a great photo is by how it confuses the fuck out of every single person who looks at it so it's impossible to know what trick is being done unless you were present for it.

Burt Ward

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 518
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2021, 03:14:01 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Here's mine -

Hell ride.
[close]

I was staying at the Quality Inn for Tampa Pro. My buddy (who was 17 at the time) and I went out to get the continental breakfast. We got our food, sat down and one table over, Phelps was having a conversation with Zion's dad. Eventually Zion's dad leaves and Phelps is alone. He keeps glancing over at our table while my buddy is struggling to cut his waffle with a plastic fork and knife. Phelps then gets up and leaves, it was weird but I didn't give it much thought. Next thing I know, Phelps is sitting at our table, pulls the plate away from my friend and starts cutting up his waffle for him. "See? this is how you do it. You don't stab at it like a fucking person." It was one of the funniest moments of my life. I ended up having a really cool conversation about KOTR and the history of Tampa Pro.

That mey be the best Phelps story I've ever heard. CUTTING UP YOUR FRIENDS WAFFLES! That's off the hook.
Now, we used to say we put on our tights to put on the world. So I don't think it tarnishes the image at all.

HORSES

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 334
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2021, 03:51:00 PM »
Nike SB video must be out very soon.

fredgallSOTY

« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2021, 04:39:10 PM »
Nike SB video must be out very soon.
hugo boserup's teased it

TD

• Rep: -2
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2021, 09:46:51 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Here's mine -

Hell ride.
[close]

I think this is my new favourite phelps story

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1923
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2021, 10:00:45 PM »
Story of Thrasher over the past few years - amazing trick, so-so photography.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

shitsandwich

• Rep: -53
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2021, 11:36:47 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Here's mine -

Hell ride.
[close]

So funny haha I really wish he'd done a nine club. He probably had so many stories to tell

brokenarm

« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2021, 07:54:05 AM »
in '98 I was visiting SF and a friend was filming me try a trick on something on a sidewalk, a car goes by and someone yells "do the flip!!". my friend laughed and said dude that was Jake Phelps. not the craziest Phelps story or anything but pretty classic Phelps and kinda cool to have just had a brief little interaction back then

doublesteveburger

« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2021, 11:15:54 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

The way you can tell a great photo is by how it confuses the fuck out of every single person who looks at it so it's impossible to know what trick is being done unless you were present for it.

While I agree with you - the same way you can tell it’s a great photo is the same way you can come to the conclusion that it’s a terrible one. I’m confused for all the wrong reasons here.

Lenny the Fatface

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 330
« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2021, 11:25:41 AM »
Is it a Wallie North off the rail, or acid drop off the roof?

Mr. Stinky

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 311
« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2021, 11:34:27 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

While I agree with you - the same way you can tell it’s a great photo is the same way you can come to the conclusion that it’s a terrible one. I’m confused for all the wrong reasons here.

I was being facetious about this photo (bad, incomprehensible) while being serious about what makes a photo great (the "hold it, WTF is even going on here" factor).  I see now I was almost as unclear as this latest masterpiece by Atiba.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 673
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2021, 11:39:53 AM »
i think its a kickflip off a bump / ramp that is out of frame? otherwise i have no clue wtf is going on.

lk130

• Topic and Post Probation
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -829
« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2021, 02:19:26 PM »
Looks like a kickflip
I need Cariuma -Me

yungxmulaxbaby

blurst_of_times

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 803
    • Skateboarding Magazine Scans avatar image
« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2021, 02:33:25 PM »
What's worse, that Atiba took another so-so photo or that (presumably) Burnett approved it for the cover?

Also, I'm setting a countdown for when Brink uses this thread as "proof" that SLAP is nothing but toxic garbage criticism...
« Last Edit: May 11, 2021, 02:58:22 PM by blurst_of_times »
There was no wire. Clark's planet needed him.
 Note: Clark Hassler died on the way back to his home planet.

keepthefunkalive

• Rep: 129
« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2021, 02:48:07 PM »
I'd guess ollie north or heelflip. You don't have your front foot over there when catching a kickflip usually

lk130

• Topic and Post Probation
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -829
« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2021, 03:19:32 PM »
It's Gt,
Also looks like he tried to say kickflip up there a lil earlier
I need Cariuma -Me

yungxmulaxbaby

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 673
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
« Reply #28 on: May 11, 2021, 04:05:21 PM »
I'd guess ollie north or heelflip. You don't have your front foot over there when catching a kickflip usually

i dont think he does heelflips does he? lot of people dont fuck with straight heels. its becoming a bit more common but still pretty rare.

early on in skating, this friend i really looked up to gave me some sage-like advice, "Heelflips are gay. they always go up your ass and shit." I did not listen though!!  <3

numagik

• Rep: 35
« Reply #29 on: May 11, 2021, 04:12:53 PM »
heelflips do be going up your ass