Author Topic: Getting music rights for youtube?  (Read 524 times)

gsosa

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 290
Getting music rights for youtube?
« on: May 13, 2021, 01:07:17 PM »
Sup gods, I recently just finished a full-length video and got a song blocked by youtube. The other songs are all okay, can't monetize, but dont really give a fuck since it's just a skate video. I went to WMGs page and requested a license etc. Anyone have experience with licensing a song before? I included in the form I had to fill out that there is no profit to be made off of the video and that its just made for fun. Hopefully it works out OK.

What surprised me is that there are fan made videos of the song (1-800 Suicide by the Gravediggaz) so if anyone knows a loophole around that it would be greatly appreciated

gsosa

• SLAP Pal
Re: Getting music rights for youtube?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2021, 10:01:28 AM »
Okay seeing how I got no insights on this, I was able to fix it so I figure I'd help out with this.

I uploaded my video and one of the songs got flagged and was labeled as a song that was immediately to be muted or changed because of copyrights. I immediately tried contacting WMG to try and get a youtube license of some sort and was even down to pay some money since I worked really hard on the video and changing the song was not negociable for me. I eventually ended up uploading it to Vimeo while I got an answer from them.

3 weeks I didn't get any type of response at all from WMG so I said fuck it uploaded it to youtube and disputed the copyright claim. I just wrote the following disclaimer on the dispute form and on the video description. While also stating on the form that this was just a video of me and my friends and that I was not making money of it, nor was I going to monetize it.
"Copyright Disclaimer: Under Section 107 of the Copyright Act 1976, allowance is made for "fair use" for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching, scholarship and research. Fair use is a use permitted by copyright statute that might otherwise be infringing. Non-profit, educational or personal use tips the balance in favor of fair use."

2 days later the video was up and running.

Hope this can help some of you!

nickpaolucci

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2021, 11:24:32 AM »
Okay seeing how I got no insights on this, I was able to fix it so I figure I'd help out with this.

I uploaded my video and one of the songs got flagged and was labeled as a song that was immediately to be muted or changed because of copyrights. I immediately tried contacting WMG to try and get a youtube license of some sort and was even down to pay some money since I worked really hard on the video and changing the song was not negociable for me. I eventually ended up uploading it to Vimeo while I got an answer from them.

3 weeks I didn't get any type of response at all from WMG so I said fuck it uploaded it to youtube and disputed the copyright claim. I just wrote the following disclaimer on the dispute form and on the video description. While also stating on the form that this was just a video of me and my friends and that I was not making money of it, nor was I going to monetize it.
"Copyright Disclaimer: Under Section 107 of the Copyright Act 1976, allowance is made for "fair use" for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching, scholarship and research. Fair use is a use permitted by copyright statute that might otherwise be infringing. Non-profit, educational or personal use tips the balance in favor of fair use."

you are a g for this! was bummed when your op was left unanswered as I have been wondering the same thing. link to the vid?

Billy Bitchcakes

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 476
  • Q U I T E S T Y L I S H
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2021, 11:41:01 AM »
I remember this being a tip years ago, figured it wouldn't work any more. No way your video falls under fair use but it's probably too insignificant for WMG to get a human to deal with. Def gonna be trying this
During sex to prevent myself from ejaculating I think about Osama Bin Laden running my dick through a sewing machine.

gsosa

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2021, 12:29:05 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

you are a g for this! was bummed when your op was left unanswered as I have been wondering the same thing. link to the vid?
@nickpaolucci here's the vid.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBfMQsyoldQ
I remember this being a tip years ago, figured it wouldn't work any more. No way your video falls under fair use but it's probably too insignificant for WMG to get a human to deal with. Def gonna be trying this
Yeah me too, I thought it wouldn't since you see all kinds of warning before you make the claim that it doesn't matter if you aren't making money off of it, if someone else has videos with it and some other shit like that. I just tried this as a hail mary and it worked!

nickpaolucci

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2021, 05:25:52 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
@nickpaolucci here's the vid.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBfMQsyoldQ
Expand Quote
[close]
Yeah me too, I thought it wouldn't since you see all kinds of warning before you make the claim that it doesn't matter if you aren't making money off of it, if someone else has videos with it and some other shit like that. I just tried this as a hail mary and it worked!

thanks! will watch tonight