Author Topic: mk1 self repair advice needed  (Read 464 times)

donkey

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -65
  • donk
mk1 self repair advice needed
« on: May 14, 2021, 06:24:11 AM »
hey all,

i've emailed all over century optics about getting repairs done for this but they have all but ghosted me as of yet. so i've attached some pictures below of what's going on; the outer metal ring of the mk1 has been banged up quite a bit in its lifetime and as a result has bent inward, holding the thin piece of metal that keeps the front element in place stuck. i really need to find a way to somehow bend the metal back outward just a tad bit so that i'm able to remove the metal piece and replace just the front element, which will be a lot cheaper than buying a whole new mk1.

my idea was that i can make it steady somehow on my desk, put a flathead screw driver up to it and tap it little by little with a mallet until it eventually bends back. maybe i could even heat up the metal with a hair dryer to make it easier?? if theres any ideas that anyone knows of please let me know.

https://imgur.com/LlKREwo

https://imgur.com/zduSZTa

pedro_mayn

• Rep: 90
  • 1-800-PP-5-DOO-DOO
Re: mk1 self repair advice needed
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2021, 08:04:10 AM »

my idea was that i can make it steady somehow on my desk, put a flathead screw driver up to it and tap it little by little with a mallet until it eventually bends back. maybe i could even heat up the metal with a hair dryer to make it easier?? if theres any ideas that anyone knows of please let me know.

That's what I had to do when I replaced my first one, but make sure you're careful to not damage the threads when tapping the damaged part. You just need something to steady the lens as you move the pins around and it is best to get something that will grip it, maybe have some cloths at hand to do so.

Also make sure you're careful when putting the case back on, make sure you don't slip and scratch the new front element. Just do a few quarter turns to lock it up.
i don’t think any of you are real, i think slap was invented by my mom to make me think people want to talk to me

shredslap

• Rep: -2
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2021, 04:40:18 PM »
Been through this exact same issue. Tried everything from pressure mounts, to DIY mount rigs, etc.. Honestly, the only way I was able to fix it was to get it serviced through Schneider Optics.

donkey

• Rep: -65
  • donk
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2021, 11:05:20 AM »
Been through this exact same issue. Tried everything from pressure mounts, to DIY mount rigs, etc.. Honestly, the only way I was able to fix it was to get it serviced through Schneider Optics.
yeah it seems like im gonna just rely on bothering century optics till they repair it for me. trying to fix it myself seems too scary and honestly i don't mind all the scratches too much, gives it a good character.

thanks yall

CHONGO

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 28
    • tumblr avatar image
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2021, 09:32:27 PM »
Wrap it in a big bulky cloth and put it in a vice to hold it still.