Author Topic: Alex Olson talks about 917, Austyn Gillette and Jason Dill  (Read 7336 times)

manysnakes

Re: Alex Olson talks about 917, Austyn Gillette and Jason Dill
« Reply #30 on: May 19, 2021, 03:06:43 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Damn, calling Dill annoying? Didn't Dill help him tremendously when he was younger?

This makes me not want to makeout with AO anymore.
[close]

Ever been friends with someone that you ended up being annoyed with as the years go by? Now pretend that friend is Jason Dill. I’m a Dill fan, but I still find him annoying at times.

Can’t really blame AO especially after Dill started poaching his guys. Sounds like he never came to him before hand to talk it over which is what you’d expect from a friend.
[close]

Oh, I get it. I just think it could be handled differently. There are people in my life who helped me at a point but I'm no longer friendly with them. Out of respect for the help I wouldn't bring it up and if I had to I'd say, "well some things went down that I didn't feel great about and we went our own ways." If anyone cares enough they can look into the subtext on their own.

The way he handled it wasn't very graceful, although I assume he's not wrong.

I just assume that these two have known each other for most of at least Alex's life and they can probably say things like this without it causing a huge rift.

funeral_tuxedo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1199
  • old and in the way
« Reply #31 on: May 19, 2021, 04:15:19 PM »
Nice work!

• Rep: 31
« Reply #32 on: May 19, 2021, 05:06:46 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Damn, calling Dill annoying? Didn't Dill help him tremendously when he was younger?

[close]

Ever been friends with someone that you ended up being annoyed with as the years go by? Now pretend that friend is Jason Dill. I’m a Dill fan, but I still find him annoying at times.

Can’t really blame AO especially after Dill started poaching his guys. Sounds like he never came to him before hand to talk it over which is what you’d expect from a friend.
[close]

Yeah, I love Dill but he seems absolutely insufferable at times.

101 Dill was the best and I was a big fan but he lost me over the years for annoying Ozzy, being a NYC scenester, listening to Spoon and making us listen to one of their albums, and for wearing Supreme while trying to look like John Waters.

bigdave

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 179
« Reply #33 on: May 19, 2021, 05:36:26 PM »
Can someone explain what FA did (besides being corny and cringe generally) to piss Alex off so bad?
ok thanks

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 249
« Reply #34 on: May 19, 2021, 06:06:17 PM »
Expand Quote
Can someone explain what FA did (besides being corny and cringe generally) to piss Alex off so bad?
[close]

poached Aiden, Nik Stain and Vincent Touzery
I also don't think he liked how Dill basically dictated the team for Supreme. I think he said on the Bunt you essentially have to be on FA/Hockey to be a featured rider for Supreme now, which is why he wasn't in Blessed (probably combined with AO not making much of an effort to either).

I find it funny how much he downplays his skating. Is he gonna destroy everything in sight like Ishod? No. I forgot who said it about the Crailtap team of the late 2000s or early 2010s (which was stacked), that AO was arguably the most impressive to watch in person due to his speed, pop and how clean and in control it remained. He's someone who people just want to watch skate like Gino. I find it crazy (but understandable and human) how self-conscious some of these big pros are.

HORSES

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 335
« Reply #35 on: May 19, 2021, 07:07:03 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Aiden went back to where he originally came from, and Nik & Vincent left due to things becoming stale 6 months before Cyrus & the rest quit. Hardly a 'poaching'. If Alex is mad those guys left for FA, well, he's just gotta read his own last few interviews to realise how bad it was at 917.

mclovin1336

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 75
« Reply #36 on: May 20, 2021, 12:43:06 AM »
I agree with the proof read sentiment someone said before, but very good interview!

"One person could actually do graphics because they went to school for it, but the others didn't." so the one who can do graphics would be max?

veritas

« Reply #37 on: May 20, 2021, 01:12:24 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Aiden went back to where he originally came from, and Nik & Vincent left due to things becoming stale 6 months before Cyrus & the rest quit. Hardly a 'poaching'. If Alex is mad those guys left for FA, well, he's just gotta read his own last few interviews to realise how bad it was at 917.

Cyrus admitted in the slap interview that nobody knew what was going on with the company and that pros on the team couldn’t even get boards in the right size (hence the footage of Cyrus with baker boards).

“Why would Dill do this to me, he’s so annoying” lol AO basically let the company and riders languish and blamed FA when they left.

jgonzalez

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 793
  • no not never. looser.
    • JGonz4ever avatar image
« Reply #38 on: May 20, 2021, 09:35:31 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

101 Dill was the best and I was a big fan but he lost me over the years for annoying Ozzy, being a NYC scenester, listening to Spoon and making us listen to one of their albums, and for wearing Supreme while trying to look like John Waters.

Certified dill moments

Maybe 917 will be more gay again, granted Olson Is a str8 white m*le. Hook up some queers bby

nothing's been the since same

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 249
« Reply #39 on: May 20, 2021, 10:23:17 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

Love his Photo part, and at times can be a very funny interview. But, he's also insufferable at times being a big pusher in cliquey and hypebeast aspects of skateboarding which he's built FA around.

alex

• Rep: 34
« Reply #40 on: May 20, 2021, 10:25:20 AM »
Maybe he's referencing more than just 917 riders. For how aware he seems to be of how the team leaving played out I wouldn't think he'd be overly salty about them going to FA if he couldn't pay them. Personally made me wonder more if he was referencing elijah or anyone else.
Suns out, im going skating. chow

conqueso

« Reply #41 on: May 20, 2021, 10:31:15 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

The worst was when he wore jorts over tights. All these personas he is like a more eccentric Jim Greco. Could totally see him framing his own memorabilia too.

TurdyBird

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 155
  • <3
« Reply #42 on: May 20, 2021, 10:46:07 AM »
Damn, Austyn really is that hoe boy.

Not surprised AO is annoyed bye Dill. With that said, I really wouldn't be that bummed on losing Aiden Mackey. The kid comes off like a brat in punk clothing.

AO should really consider having a team. Maybe he's in denial and protecting himself from the pains he felt with his original team.

With that said he needs to do what most companies do with graphics. Keep your original aesthetic and incorporate concepts your riders might be about. Not this, ok fine, make your own graphics. More like, here's your graphic and your pay. Maybe he can get in a groove of doing guest boards.

Look at Templeton. A rider likes this idea for a board. Ed uses that idea and uses his sect alien and turtleboys/girls to execute it.

Or, instead of a team, he should think about doing guest artist series and then have like a couple generic 917 boards. Like have different artist for each seasonal drop. I think that would be cool.

The chillest1

artskool

• Rep: 34
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #43 on: May 20, 2021, 11:24:51 AM »
AO is seriously one of the only straight-shooters in the biz. His skate style is all time classic. I'm all for him going all late-Greco Cassavetes solo weirdo as his next move.

figureitout

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -141
« Reply #44 on: May 20, 2021, 12:18:07 PM »
Expand Quote
Thanks for the AO interview, i really enjoyed reading, i Also enjoyed the Ryan Allan one.

"Dose Skateboarding" on the other hand appears to cover some horrific topics, and most of what is bad in skateboarding.

ex) -Nineja's new board brand
      -that french guy that only skates parks and does ghetto bird flyouts
      -The Olympics
      -Mud Margera
      -Mike Alfred 9club  (or anything from those two)
      -Jordan Hammax's onlyfans
      -etc
[close]

So basically dose talks about the same things slap does?

you got me there. Mind you this is a message board and DOSE is a publication, we could use more of what Monkey McPott is doing, free skate mag, and what AA/Andrew Peters used to do etc...  and less "DOSE" as far as skate media is concerned (just my opinion)

Pete

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 655
  • Free Max B
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #45 on: May 20, 2021, 01:52:22 PM »
wtf is dose. post a link or someshit ill be the judge if theyre covering "horrific" things going on in skating lol

free max b
FREE MAX B

Red Eyed Swimmer

• Rep: 2
« Reply #46 on: May 20, 2021, 02:01:03 PM »
wtf is dose. post a link or someshit ill be the judge if theyre covering "horrific" things going on in skating lol

free max b
I think you meant post a link fuccboiiii