Author Topic: nakel lotties rant  (Read 178120 times)

mushroom slice

Re: nakel lotties rant
« Reply #360 on: May 25, 2021, 07:13:52 AM »
Best way to avoid going into a skate shop is get sponsored. Cut the middle man out. Duh

WavyDavy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 128
« Reply #361 on: May 25, 2021, 07:44:41 AM »
What does being "cool guy'd" even mean? I honestly don't get it

I don't like interaction with employees and being approached by someone saying "hello, how can I help you? Looking for something special?"
Too shy and introverted for that

I just get my product, ask about it if I need something, pay and leave. Thanks to covid i order my stuff online and/ or pick it up at the shop.

If you want special treatment, get a hooker

notmikerusczyk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 281
« Reply #362 on: May 25, 2021, 08:07:28 AM »
Expand Quote

I don't like interaction with employees and being approached by someone saying "hello, how can I help you? Looking for something special?"

I just get my product, ask about it if I need something, pay and leave. Thanks to covid i order my stuff online and/ or pick it up at the shop.

[close]

basically what happens is a 39 year old white web designer guy goes into a skate shop at 2pm on a Tuesday wearing a full outlet mall kit and a 4 Star short sleeve plaid button up from 2004.  Nobody else been there all day and the skate shop employee is like "oh shit" and rush to hide his grinder behind some boxes in back. and then the guy asks "hello fellow skater, did you see the X games this weekend, Zion won but I like Oski better, Zion just did a 540 and some big airs but Oski did a disaster, I just like what he's doing more, Zion is too mainstream. I love Polar though do you have the polar "Big Boy" pants?" and the skate shop employee makes a bewildered face like he is in a weird surrealist comedy sketch and replies "uhhhh, I can... check" and then the stay at home dad guy is like "never mind but can I just get a shop sticker for my laptop" and then rushes home and posts a scathing "I got cool guy'd  >:(" review  to middle-age-shred . com .
hahahaha seems incredibly accurate

Matthew_James

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -191
« Reply #363 on: May 25, 2021, 08:11:56 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

basically what happens is a 39 year old white web designer guy goes into a skate shop at 2pm on a Tuesday wearing a full outlet mall kit and a 4 Star short sleeve plaid button up from 2004.  Nobody else been there all day and the skate shop employee is like "oh shit" and rush to hide his grinder behind some boxes in back. and then the guy asks "hello fellow skater, did you see the X games this weekend, Zion won but I like Oski better, Zion just did a 540 and some big airs but Oski did a disaster, I just like what he's doing more, Zion is too mainstream. I love Polar though do you have the polar "Big Boy" pants?" and the skate shop employee makes a bewildered face like he is in a weird surrealist comedy sketch and replies "uhhhh, I can... check" and then the stay at home dad guy is like "never mind but can I just get a shop sticker for my laptop" and then rushes home and posts a scathing "I got cool guy'd  >:(" review  to middle-age-shred . com .
[close]

This sounds like Slap’s version of a Double Dare physical challenge, the last level of this challenge should be done at Supreme.
At least when you're a washed-out hipster douchebag in NY, you can milk it at some decent looking, hard to skate spots. In LA you're just a tan-lined faggot in a school yard somewhere.

HugeBodBoyle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 686
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #364 on: May 25, 2021, 08:46:26 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
[close]

This sounds like Slap’s version of a Double Dare physical challenge, the last level of this challenge should be done at Supreme.

I'm not standing in that line.

slappies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1208
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #365 on: May 25, 2021, 08:56:37 AM »
Being "cool guyed" is basically how people who have zero social skills cope with it, by blaming the others instead of recognizing maybe they got "cool guyed" because they walked in and acted like a standoffish weirdo.
When I went to Lotties I could not have looked less "cool". I'm a dorky Canadian walking around in New Balance running shoes, sunburnt as shit and with my girlfriend. Mike was there and was nothing but kind to me, we chatted for a bit, he asked where I was from etc, and at the end ended up giving me a grip of extra stickers with my purchase specifically asking the dude who rang me up to do so. (although I was apparently not cool enough to get to pet his dog)

I realize it's a very small gesture on his part and I'm not trying to act like suddenly I'm in some inner cool guy circle because I am most definitely not. The point I'm making is, if you don't act like a dumbass or someone who looks like they have no interest in speaking, more often than not you will be absolutely fine.
CRACK RAIDER RAZOR

Buck Bundy

• Rep: 38
« Reply #366 on: May 25, 2021, 09:13:31 AM »
If anyone reading this has issues getting cool guy’d at a skate shop (or any retail location), I’m going to fill you in on a little move I do to let the workers know I’m the alpha. Walk in and make direct eye contact with whoever you deem as the current alpha. Do not break eye contact and speak as deep as you can. Do not make small talk. Keep it professional. Let them know what you are looking for and when they start to move toward said product, unzip your pants, and mark your territory. I prefer to squat and pinch off a loaf, but you can urinate as well. You must keep eye contact the entire time. Once you have finished and pulled your pants up, you are now the cool alpha male and everyone will respect you.

Ayanami

• Rep: 55
« Reply #367 on: May 25, 2021, 09:29:17 AM »
If anyone reading this has issues getting cool guy’d at a skate shop (or any retail location), I’m going to fill you in on a little move I do to let the workers know I’m the alpha. Walk in and make direct eye contact with whoever you deem as the current alpha. Do not break eye contact and speak as deep as you can. Do not make small talk. Keep it professional. Let them know what you are looking for and when they start to move toward said product, unzip your pants, and mark your territory. I prefer to squat and pinch off a loaf, but you can urinate as well. You must keep eye contact the entire time. Once you have finished and pulled your pants up, you are now the cool alpha male and everyone will respect you.
Should I start barking if they ask me stop? Assert my dominance even more
i like the tiny headed bear who says nice stuff to everyone.

twic3

• Rep: 16
« Reply #368 on: May 25, 2021, 09:30:45 AM »
I dont think you guys have been actually "cool guyed" before, you've just had weird first interactions with a shop owner/employees... shops deal with people buying their first boards, parents, people looking for longboards, and shit like that all the time. You coming in to get what you want and not lingering or starting a forced conversation is probably the easiest interactions they'll have all day.

Mr. Stinky

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 311
« Reply #369 on: May 25, 2021, 09:36:54 AM »
I got cool guyed at Lottie's. I was in there, hiding behind this plant in the corner, and then when owner walked out I jumped out and yelled 'Spaghett!' and owner walked back out back and drew on primitive board with sharpie. I removed my tail and left feeling hella cool guyed.

He probably just thought you were his boss's kid or something. 

Idk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 303
« Reply #370 on: May 25, 2021, 09:42:22 AM »
I feel lucky I had Pitcrew. It just felt amazing going there everytime.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1578
« Reply #371 on: May 25, 2021, 09:56:15 AM »
Has any skate shop don't a bite on the ikea guy yet? 

ive found a lot of opinions are based on being socially inept and the joy to talk shit.....

How many posts do I have?

DaleSr

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1439
« Reply #372 on: May 25, 2021, 10:26:17 AM »
Ah i see we've reached the dreaded "this shop sucks actually because i was cool guy'd" portion of the thread

drewdc

• Rep: -85
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #373 on: May 25, 2021, 10:31:05 AM »
Nak has made a weak career from doing handsprings when he bails a trick. A Pro talking shit on a core shop is lame, filming it and putting it on Instagram is the lamest.

fs180

• Rep: -267
« Reply #374 on: May 25, 2021, 10:31:56 AM »
imagine that shop owners have to be nice to you so they earn money.
they dont give a fuck about you most of the time.

I would rather spend a whole day at a retirement home playing chess with old Peter than spending longer than 30 min in skate shop with a 18 employee eye fucking me to find out if I can skate and am chill in person.
fuck those people I dont need them. might be cool guys but everyone could be.
listen to some podcasts outside of skating talk to your neighbors they might be far more interesting than little mike on his skate shop counter.

and remember: if a arrogant ignorant person cool guys you in a skate shop: its always your fault. (doesn't it feel better knowing that? just dont be yourself)

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1958
« Reply #375 on: May 25, 2021, 10:34:20 AM »

I would rather spend a whole day at a retirement home playing chess with old Peter than spending longer than 30 min in skate shop with a 18 employee eye fucking me to find out if I can skate and am chill in person.
listen to some podcasts outside of skating talk to your neighbors they might be far more interesting than little stinky armpits and longhaired mike on his skate shop counter.

and remember: if a arrogant ignorant person cool guys you in a skate shop: its always your fault. (doesn't it feel better knowing that? just dont be yourself)

You're proving our point.

slappies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1208
« Reply #376 on: May 25, 2021, 10:35:15 AM »

listen to some podcasts outside of skating talk to your neighbors they might be far more interesting than little stinky armpits and longhaired mike on his skate shop counter.

Everyone hates you.
CRACK RAIDER RAZOR

sus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 373
« Reply #377 on: May 25, 2021, 10:36:34 AM »
i think my friend said it best when he said "Nakel is in his Jereme Rogers stage of his career"

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -210
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #378 on: May 25, 2021, 10:44:35 AM »
Someone resurrect the Naked Smith thread.
2022 Slap Fantasy Football Champion

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -763
« Reply #379 on: May 25, 2021, 10:45:55 AM »
Someone resurrect the Naked Smith thread.

What's that
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

skatingisntspecialstupid

• Rep: 57
« Reply #380 on: May 25, 2021, 10:47:05 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I'm not saying it doesn't happen (cuz it does), but a lot of people I've met who complain about being "cool guy'd" at a shop are usually uncomfortable people who otherwise never participate in their local scene. Pleasant interaction goes both ways and sometimes it's on you if that interaction is awkward. Can't speak for LA/Lotties, around here it's almost always the case where the person complaining is frankly kinda just unpleasant.
[close]

It's not the business's job to make the customer feel comfortable when they walk into a shop, but it's a good pratice to do so to every person that walks through the door. And "participate in their local scene" in order to feel comfortable shopping at a store sounds like come cool guy shit.
[close]

By "participate", I mean just being friendly with people in your scene. The kind of people I'm referring to are generally stand off-ish and think they're "too good" to be friends with people. And when they complain about being "cool guy'd", what they usually mean is that they didn't get special treatment. Like this guy:

Expand Quote
Participate in the local scene = hangout skate and party with teenagers

I’m not cool or patient enough for that
[close]

Again, not saying cool guy shop owners aren't a thing, but I think that's a perspective worth considering. And when I see people who think supporting their scene = "partying with teenagers", I have to assume they're just kinda unpleasant to deal with.

I can see why you’d think that but I have nothing against the kids or even cool guy shops. I think of it more as giving them (the teens and young rippers) their space. I’ve gone to local premiers and events and it’s great, skate with the same people from the same parks and shops, even taken younger family members to skate shops when they want to get into it or just buy some shoes. But at 32 I also step away when it’s not my game. I think a lot of guys getting cool guyd are not really getting cool guyd. It’s just normal when teens at work don’t act super cool with people they don’t know.
Don’t dip your head in or your board will end up behind you

jerrygurneyscream

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 130
« Reply #381 on: May 25, 2021, 10:47:22 AM »

listen to some podcasts outside of skating talk to your neighbors they might be far more interesting than little mike on his skate shop counter.

Please, go play chess with old peter

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1958
« Reply #382 on: May 25, 2021, 10:51:52 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I'm not saying it doesn't happen (cuz it does), but a lot of people I've met who complain about being "cool guy'd" at a shop are usually uncomfortable people who otherwise never participate in their local scene. Pleasant interaction goes both ways and sometimes it's on you if that interaction is awkward. Can't speak for LA/Lotties, around here it's almost always the case where the person complaining is frankly kinda just unpleasant.
[close]

It's not the business's job to make the customer feel comfortable when they walk into a shop, but it's a good pratice to do so to every person that walks through the door. And "participate in their local scene" in order to feel comfortable shopping at a store sounds like come cool guy shit.
[close]

By "participate", I mean just being friendly with people in your scene. The kind of people I'm referring to are generally stand off-ish and think they're "too good" to be friends with people. And when they complain about being "cool guy'd", what they usually mean is that they didn't get special treatment. Like this guy:

Expand Quote

[close]

Again, not saying cool guy shop owners aren't a thing, but I think that's a perspective worth considering. And when I see people who think supporting their scene = "partying with teenagers", I have to assume they're just kinda unpleasant to deal with.
[close]

I can see why you’d think that but I have nothing against the kids or even cool guy shops. I think of it more as giving them (the teens and young rippers) their space. I’ve gone to local premiers and events and it’s great, skate with the same people from the same parks and shops, even taken younger family members to skate shops when they want to get into it or just buy some shoes. But at 32 I also step away when it’s not my game. I think a lot of guys getting cool guyd are not really getting cool guyd. It’s just normal when teens at work don’t act super cool with people they don’t know.

Okay well everything you just said is way different than "partying with teenagers" so I'm not sure why that was your kneejerk reaction to my comment. It sounds like we are more or less on the same page.

skatingisntspecialstupid

• Rep: 57
« Reply #383 on: May 25, 2021, 11:01:40 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

Okay well everything you just said is way different than "partying with teenagers" so I'm not sure why that was your kneejerk reaction to my comment. It sounds like we are more or less on the same page.

Because plenty of places are still like that and it’s funny to see and make fun of. Someone making a joke about something you said is not knee jerk nor is it personal
Don’t dip your head in or your board will end up behind you

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -763
« Reply #384 on: May 25, 2021, 11:07:35 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

nobody is really doing that though, the guys are just stoned and are nervous you're a cop. and hanging out for 30 min at a skate shop and making weird small talk makes you seem more like a cop. and being angry all the time and going to play chess with retired sergeant Peter also doesn't help dispel the cop suspicions

Interesting

What is your occupation fs180 ?
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

waffle

• Rep: 124
« Reply #385 on: May 25, 2021, 11:13:08 AM »
I’ve only ever been cool guy’d in the Bay area.

First time was by some hype beast clowns working at FTC when I was 18. A friend I was with happened to be getting dlx flow at the time and had a box to pick up. When they realized that, they changed, acting all nice and welcoming. We just laughed.

Second time at 510. I went to Berkeley so would always hit that shop for my skate needs throughout college. Always too cool for light conversation until I met a few skating the Berkeley park. And even then only after I showed up with <random pro friend>.

My take is it’s all ego-based.

Most people at skate shops are cool, but cool guying is a definitely a thing that occurs. It’s lame, but working at a skate shop beyond a certain age probably yields a certain level of insecurity.  So maybe it’s just projection. Hard to care about what a grown man working at a skate shop thinks about you.

Any younger people cool guying are probably just caught up in the passion and novelty - I say let them enjoy it.

Uh Oh

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 362
« Reply #386 on: May 25, 2021, 11:14:31 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

nobody is really doing that though, the guys are just stoned and are nervous you're a cop. and hanging out for 30 min at a skate shop and making weird small talk makes you seem more like a cop. and being angry all the time and going to play chess with retired sergeant Peter also doesn't help dispel the cop suspicions
[close]

Interesting

What is your occupation fs180 ?

He works for the Fun Police.

mushroom slice

« Reply #387 on: May 25, 2021, 11:15:46 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

In 2021 no one cares if you are stoned. My grandma is sponsored by puffco. Weed is boring G

Alan

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2561
« Reply #388 on: May 25, 2021, 11:24:06 AM »
I'm surprised he was picking up his box from FTC and not DLX...
Hosin' out the cab of his pickup truck
He's got his 8-track playin' really fuckin' loud

waffle

• Rep: 124
« Reply #389 on: May 25, 2021, 11:30:50 AM »
I'm surprised he was picking up his box from FTC and not DLX...
Friend was on dlx/crail and in town from WA. Don’t remember box specifics but, given our age on that trip, had to be one of the two.