Author Topic: nakel lotties rant  (Read 178320 times)

waffle

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 125
Re: nakel lotties rant
« Reply #390 on: May 25, 2021, 11:32:55 AM »
Expand Quote
I’ve only ever been cool guy’d in the Bay area.

First time was by some hype beast clowns working at FTC when I was 18. A friend I was with happened to be getting dlx flow at the time and had a box to pick up. When they realized that, they changed, acting all nice and welcoming. We just laughed.

Second time at 510. I went to Berkeley so would always hit that shop for my skate needs throughout college. Always too cool for light conversation until I met a few skating the Berkeley park. And even then only after I showed up with <random pro friend>.

My take is it’s all ego-based.

Most people at skate shops are cool, but cool guying is a definitely a thing that occurs. It’s lame, but working at a skate shop beyond a certain age probably yields a certain level of insecurity.  So maybe it’s just projection. Hard to care about what a grown man working at a skate shop thinks about you.

Any younger people cool guying are probably just caught up in the passion and novelty - I say let them enjoy it.
[close]

there aren't any hype beast clowns at FTC its just that nobody likes cal students

This was before I went but do make sure to reread the above bit on insecurity and projection.

Ziad

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -103
    • bouklao.com avatar image
« Reply #391 on: May 25, 2021, 11:49:11 AM »
Expand Quote
anyone hating on a skater owned skateshop is a kook
[close]

I love generalizations like that.
like in no story ever on planet earth history any skate shop owner could have done something or said something that pissed of anyone so much that they said fuck that skate shop.

you sir are stupid as shit.
and I swear thats how nazis got created. with some zero braincell people generalizing and being to overly brotherly loyal.

you love generalizations like that? seems like you dont and my comment hurt your feelings

waffle

• Rep: 125
« Reply #392 on: May 25, 2021, 11:57:50 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

First time was by some hype beast clowns working at FTC when I was 18. A friend I was with happened to be getting dlx flow at the time and had a box to pick up. When they realized that, they changed, acting all nice and welcoming. We just laughed.

Second time at 510. I went to Berkeley so would always hit that shop for my skate needs throughout college. Always too cool for light conversation until I met a few skating the Berkeley park. And even then only after I showed up with <random pro friend>.

Most people at skate shops are cool, but cool guying is a definitely a thing that occurs. It’s lame, but working at a skate shop beyond a certain age probably yields a certain level of insecurity.  So maybe it’s just projection. Hard to care about what a grown man working at a skate shop thinks about you.

Any younger people cool guying are probably just caught up in the passion and novelty - I say let them enjoy it.
[close]

there aren't any hype beast clowns at FTC its just that nobody likes cal students
[close]

This was before I went but do make sure to reread the above bit on insecurity and projection.
[close]

reread the imaginary story about picking up a DLX box at FTC?

Oh, yeah, so you can actually skip that paragraph. I made that story up to get clout on a dead skateboard magazine’s message board. 

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 707
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #393 on: May 25, 2021, 12:30:35 PM »
To make sure I’m never cool guy’ed at the skateshop I’m the one cool guying them first. Works wonders, you guys should try it out  8)

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

drewdc

• Rep: -85
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #394 on: May 25, 2021, 12:36:33 PM »
Nak has made a weak career from doing handsprings when he bails a trick. A Pro talking shit on a core shop is lame, filming it and putting it on Instagram is the lamest.
TRying to get the thread back

EdLawndale

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1099
    • My Wife avatar image
« Reply #395 on: May 25, 2021, 12:41:35 PM »
The key to not getting cool guy'd by a shop staff is:

(a) being educated/knowledgeable on the skate products you require, and

(b) having the confidence to realize how unimportant their opinions are and how insignificant an impact they have on your life and you as a person.

I imagine if you are young and trying to assimilate into a shop's scene, the latter factor can be difficult. But even then, better to go the Donnie Brasco approach and just show up at the local spots on a regular basis, be affable but mysterious, say as little as possible and wait for someone in their circle to make contact.

You do yourself no favors by showing up in 510 as a customer croney and trying to generate conversational friendships with ppl who are paid to be there.
"Was just about to say, wtf is up with this EdLawndale guy?"

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1070
« Reply #396 on: May 25, 2021, 12:44:20 PM »
The key to not getting cool guy'd by a shop staff is:

(a) being educated/knowledgeable on the skate products you require, and

(b) having the confidence to realize how unimportant their opinions are and how insignificant an impact they have on your life and you as a person.

I imagine if you are young and trying to assimilate into a shop's scene, the latter factor can be difficult. But even then, better to go the Donnie Brasco approach and just show up at the local spots on a regular basis, be affable but mysterious, say as little as possible and wait for someone in their circle to make contact.

You do yourself no favors by showing up in 510 as a customer croney and trying to generate conversational friendships with ppl who are paid to be there.

sir this is slap. I'm sure everyone here knows exactly what gear they want, and how to completely disregard others opinions.

drewdc

• Rep: -85
« Reply #397 on: May 25, 2021, 12:47:06 PM »
Expand Quote
Nak has made a weak career from doing handsprings when he bails a trick. A Pro talking shit on a core shop is lame, filming it and putting it on Instagram is the lamest.
[close]
TRying to get the thread back
lets talk about how Nak is wack

HugeBodBoyle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 690
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #398 on: May 25, 2021, 12:52:10 PM »
Easiest way to diffuse a cool guy situation is to kiss them.

Yu Dum

« Reply #399 on: May 25, 2021, 12:55:12 PM »
Easiest way to diffuse a cool guy situation is to kiss them.
This. It's how I ended up with a job at a skate shop when I was living in Cleveland, OH.

Mr. Stinky

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 311
« Reply #400 on: May 25, 2021, 01:05:37 PM »
The best way to not get cool guyed in a shop is to use aggressive vocalizations and urinate somewhere immediately upon entering .  This serves to mark your territory and to drive off weaker potential rivals.  Be forewarned, though, that this could lead to a battle for dominance with others who may have marked the same territory.

Alan

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2552
« Reply #401 on: May 25, 2021, 01:13:46 PM »
Expand Quote
I'm surprised he was picking up his box from FTC and not DLX...
[close]
Friend was on dlx/crail and in town from WA. Don’t remember box specifics but, given our age on that trip, had to be one of the two.

I see. Thanks for clarifying!
Hosin' out the cab of his pickup truck
He's got his 8-track playin' really fuckin' loud

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1292
« Reply #402 on: May 25, 2021, 01:23:57 PM »
My lady went to my local to get me a birthday deck last year and I asked if anyone was a dick at the shop. She said no but she knew what she wanted and preferred to just be left alone unless she asked for help. She and I both worked retail at one point and we know 98 percent of the time you offer help people at best nod and at worst look annoyed. That "let me know if i can help you" comes from some corporate employee handbook and comes off unnatural. People usually will ask for help if they need it. As long as the employee doesn't outwardly insult me, I'm usually fine. If you want to be friends shoot the shit at the park or the spot. Best to just go in and out of shops with what you want. A thicker skin might also help.

disintegration

• Rep: -114
« Reply #403 on: May 25, 2021, 01:34:40 PM »
Lol how fucking dumb and hypocritical is his opinion on a small skate-shop not 'giving to the community' when THE biggest skate shop (who he rides for) doesn't let people skate their bowl and charges 3x the price for clothes than other skate brands. He's on some Kanye West shit when Kanye said he was making his trainers affordable for everyone and they were like 300 pound hahaha.

TheLurper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 658
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #404 on: May 25, 2021, 01:54:17 PM »
I've been cool guy'd at some shops and treated really well at others.

My worst experiences were with a shop in SF, a shop in PHX (thanks MaGoof), and a shop in Miami. And, Pharmacy Hollywood is just terrible. I can't even express how much I can't stand the dude who I interacted with on the phone.

Sometimes, it is the shop hiring the wrong dude and sometimes it is the shop isn't run well and the cool guy factor starts from the top down.

I've had great experiences at other shops around the world. It doesn't take much to make someone feel included when they visit the shop and when someone does feel included in the local scene it goes a long way. The dudes at Dime, Seasons, Sunday (RIP), Endless Grind, Cardinal, Menu, Attitude (Bremen), Color, Baitshop (my fav, so sad when this place called it quits), etc. are awesome and made me want to support them.

I feel the bar is pretty low as I think most of us go into the "cool" shop wanting to like them.

Quote from: ChuckRamone
I love when people bring up world hunger. It makes everything meaningless.
"That guy is double parked."
"Who cares? There are people starving to death! Besides, how does that affect you? Does it lessen the joy of parking?

HeavyAndExpensive

• Rep: 115
« Reply #405 on: May 25, 2021, 02:10:57 PM »
Some of you may want to steer clear of bike shops and music shops if you're worried about being a victim of coolguyicide. As long as you have an idea of what you want - and don't pretend to know more than you do, you should be ok. Whenever I go to any of these places, I know what I don't know and am not afraid to ask. Employees of any kind of hobby shop appreciate that more than some dipshit trying talk shop in a "look how much I know" way. Comes off as corny. Be yourself and be a normal human being. If you are those things + honest it doesn't really matter what skill level you are or how cool you look.

Urtripping

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 524
« Reply #406 on: May 25, 2021, 02:29:52 PM »

For sure, they are "cool guys" after all.

Going into a skateshop is easy if you manage your expectations and know even the slightest thing about the shop you're visiting. There are some shops I just wouldn't visit for particular reasons, especially if I know I wouldn't fit in there or if I'd feel like a stranger there.

Just find a shop you like and visit as often as you need to. The more time you spend in them not being weird, the easier it gets. Might even make some friends!
I saw your mommy and your mommy's dead

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -210
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #407 on: May 25, 2021, 02:31:27 PM »
Imagine letting yourself get butthurt over getting cool-guyed by someone who makes less than an Uber driver.
Lolz
2022 Slap Fantasy Football Champion

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 315
« Reply #408 on: May 25, 2021, 02:31:44 PM »

Maybe it was an off day? I am from the Bay and DLX, FTC and especially 510 have all been really cool to even a non skating ass as myself. The only place I have been so called cool guyed was a HUF and you can argue that isn’t even a skate shop. But HUF was around before the Hypebeast term was even invented so I guess they get a pass for being that way. I just remember Jon Igei worked there and I somewhat fanned out on him and he was so damn quiet.
I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin
sew your asshole closed, and keep feedin you
and feedin you, and feedin you, and feedin you!

CHONGO

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 29
    • tumblr avatar image
« Reply #409 on: May 25, 2021, 02:31:48 PM »
wow. And I thought he was a kook before all of this. Such a douche

whaaaaat

• Rep: 46
« Reply #410 on: May 25, 2021, 02:34:11 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Maybe it was an off day? I am from the Bay and DLX, FTC and especially 510 have all been really cool to even a non skating ass as myself. The only place I have been so called cool guyed was a HUF and you can argue that isn’t even a skate shop. But HUF was around before the Hypebeast term was even invented so I guess they get a pass for being that way. I just remember Jon Igei worked there and I somewhat fanned out on him and he was so damn quiet.

Not meant to be rude, just genuinely curious, how does a self-described "non skating ass" have > 10k comments on SLAP?  Are you a former skater or just a fan or what?

BiebelsTeeth

• Rep: -11
« Reply #411 on: May 25, 2021, 02:40:18 PM »
Nak seems like the stereotypical fake positive dude who constantly needs something to hate to keep him going and genuinely seem to think that hating something is "spreading positivity".
« Last Edit: May 26, 2021, 05:29:08 AM by BiebelsTeeth »

itsyourdad

• Rep: 56
« Reply #412 on: May 25, 2021, 02:49:36 PM »
love that slap can produce 15 page threads that devolve into grown ass adults complaining that a teenager was rude to them once lmao

fakie nollie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1059
« Reply #413 on: May 25, 2021, 02:58:13 PM »

sir this is slap. I'm sure everyone here knows exactly what gear they want, and how to completely disregard others opinions.

rukes

• Rep: 216
  • Yabba dabba doo
« Reply #414 on: May 25, 2021, 02:59:02 PM »
Maybe you guys don't know, but it is actually an operating condition under the Core Skateshop License that says you must 'cool guy' certain clients.

If the inspector comes in to do an audit, and you don't cool guy him, then you're done. You lose your Core License and all the cool guy perks that come with it, like piles and piles of cash, hot chicks, designer drugs......the whole shebang a bang.
Is it true?  Or did you read it on the slap message board?

keepthefunkalive

• Rep: 129
« Reply #415 on: May 25, 2021, 03:09:03 PM »
Cool-guy'd is a good past tense verb.

Yonnycage

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -79
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #416 on: May 25, 2021, 03:10:22 PM »
I started ordering from SkateWarehouse when my local closed down. There’s a good ass shop a couple towns away but it’s just not the same. Awesome dudes running the place though, I’ve bought my fair share of boards and shoes there.

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 247
« Reply #417 on: May 25, 2021, 03:46:47 PM »
Some of you may want to steer clear of bike shops and music shops if you're worried about being a victim of coolguyicide. As long as you have an idea of what you want - and don't pretend to know more than you do, you should be ok. Whenever I go to any of these places, I know what I don't know and am not afraid to ask. Employees of any kind of hobby shop appreciate that more than some dipshit trying talk shop in a "look how much I know" way. Comes off as corny. Be yourself and be a normal human being. If you are those things + honest it doesn't really matter what skill level you are or how cool you look.
Popular sub-cultures that derive from people's passions tend to be like this. Especially people who have managed to tie-in their self-worth with a said hobby. Audio equipment and Vinyl of things I'm interested can absolutely be like this, music is subjective so I'm not gonna debate my passion of 90s hip-hop on Vinyl vs collecting 70's rock, and I know if I ever entered high-end audio to find a dealer/distributor I'd trust over trying to be the smartest guy in the room.

Monkey_Mcpott

« Reply #418 on: May 25, 2021, 03:51:42 PM »
I got cool guy’d from Tactics, so it’s nothing but Skate Warehouse from here on out.

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1315
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #419 on: May 25, 2021, 04:14:46 PM »
Anybody ever get caught in a cool guy feedback loop?
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.