Author Topic: nakel lotties rant  (Read 178792 times)

sus

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 373
Re: nakel lotties rant
« Reply #420 on: May 25, 2021, 04:19:41 PM »
Expand Quote
Some of you may want to steer clear of bike shops and music shops if you're worried about being a victim of coolguyicide. As long as you have an idea of what you want - and don't pretend to know more than you do, you should be ok. Whenever I go to any of these places, I know what I don't know and am not afraid to ask. Employees of any kind of hobby shop appreciate that more than some dipshit trying talk shop in a "look how much I know" way. Comes off as corny. Be yourself and be a normal human being. If you are those things + honest it doesn't really matter what skill level you are or how cool you look.
[close]
Popular sub-cultures that derive from people's passions tend to be like this. Especially people who have managed to tie-in their self-worth with a said hobby. Audio equipment and Vinyl of things I'm interested can absolutely be like this, music is subjective so I'm not gonna debate my passion of 90s hip-hop on Vinyl vs collecting 70's rock, and I know if I ever entered high-end audio to find a dealer/distributor I'd trust over trying to be the smartest guy in the room.

^This is pretty accurate. I'd also advise anyone to try to go into a shop more than once as well so they can get to know the staff and stuff.

I told my roommate that he might get cool-guyed at the local photo store we go to for getting 35mm film processed. He just started shooting film and i let him know that he might feel a little weird/awkward the first few times he goes because he may not yet understand the terminology or lingo that comes with film (similar to going to a skateshop for your first time). He definitely got cool-guyed the first time, but i told him to keep coming back and to stay friendly with them and sure enough he's gotten to know the staff there better and is comfortable going in now.

We also have to remember that while working in shops we get plenty of kooks, so it may be hard to differentiate at times until you get to talk to the customer/vice versa.

I dunno, that just seems like another side of the equation to consider before completely throwing a shop under the bus for going in one time and one time only and expecting the staff to treat us like we're regulars.

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 315
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #421 on: May 25, 2021, 04:51:07 PM »

Not meant to be rude, just genuinely curious, how does a self-described "non skating ass" have > 10k comments on SLAP?  Are you a former skater or just a fan or what?

Been on here since 2008 and posted a lot when I was skating. Now Slap is my TMZ and I just read gossip.

And I only posted on this thread cause I know Jerry at 510 and Kent and Ando at FTC. They are good people to me but I know everyone had their experiences. 
I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin
sew your asshole closed, and keep feedin you
and feedin you, and feedin you, and feedin you!

mattchew

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 360
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #422 on: May 25, 2021, 05:07:02 PM »
I would be honored if John Igei cool guy’d me.
P R E P A R E  T O  T I M E C O D E

conqueso

« Reply #423 on: May 25, 2021, 05:29:56 PM »
cmon bros. we all know a skateshop is just somewhere to put weed money. cool guy me if you want homie ima hit up the internet next time for my deck.

DaleSr

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1428
« Reply #424 on: May 25, 2021, 05:47:13 PM »
How did this thread go from "nakel has beef with lotties" to  "my struggle against the tyranny of getting cool guy'd at my local shop: a treatise on why I'm not awkward and cool actually (part 1 of 25)"

Knaussgard would tell some of you guys to chill the fuck out, Christ alive

HugeBodBoyle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 690
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #425 on: May 25, 2021, 05:59:57 PM »
I got cool girl'd at the local here back in 1993. Then I turned 18 and broke her headboard.

Gods I used to be strong.

HeavyAndExpensive

• Rep: 114
« Reply #426 on: May 25, 2021, 06:08:28 PM »
Ultimately, what I learned from this, is that we all put on a Coolguise everyday. It’s only when we go home and take off the mask that we reveal our true selves.

Urtripping

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 525
« Reply #427 on: May 25, 2021, 06:31:28 PM »
Anybody ever get caught in a cool guy feedback loop?

Rip a tear in the cool guy space-time continuum

I would be honored if John Igei cool guy’d me.

Fuckin same
« Last Edit: May 26, 2021, 12:53:13 AM by Urtripping »
I saw your mommy and your mommy's dead

geezer

• Rep: 37
« Reply #428 on: May 25, 2021, 06:50:34 PM »
love that slap can produce 15 page threads that devolve into grown ass adults complaining that a teenager was rude to them once lmao
The lack of reading comprehension/game of telephone going on here is astounding.  Nobody complained about a teenager being rude to them.  I noted that a grown-ass man, came out, looked me over, and went back into the back.  I wasn't trying to strike up a conversation or get on the shop team.  I know what I want when I go into a skate shop.  I think I was even buying a Lotties beanie along with some other stuff that day.  Buying shop gear is probably the best way to support a shop, since those margins are highest.  I'm not butt-hurt, I'm old enough not to give a shit.  I was just adding to the conversation.  I also don't feel the need to spend any more of my money there, that's the way capitalism works.  Geezer out.

donkey

• Rep: -67
  • donk
« Reply #429 on: May 25, 2021, 07:20:56 PM »
the cool guying experiences part of this thread was probably more entertaining than the initial thread material if we are being honest. by the amount of race baiting ive seen in this thread its probably a better idea to shift the convo

honey island

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 640
« Reply #430 on: May 25, 2021, 07:48:11 PM »

fulltechnicalskizzy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1936
« Reply #431 on: May 25, 2021, 07:54:42 PM »
having never been to la everybody in that city is cool guying me and i support none of them

Seadramon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 230
« Reply #432 on: May 25, 2021, 08:14:10 PM »
Our former local was awful for cool guying.

Not only that but the people who worked there would constantly antagonize. It was pretty terrible.

Probably the most memorable occasion was when my sister swung by on her way home from work to pick up some aces I called ahead about. They spent over 10 minutes lecturing her about why independents are better - trying to persuade her into buying 139's.

Not only were they not even for her but it was a pair of 55's that I needed... so 139's wouldn't have even been a realistic option. She actually left the shop without buying anything. She's a very reserved/shy person and I felt terrible she had to go through that.

They also got extremely heated when I told them (employee and owner) that the Lakai Owens are not cupsoles.

They're not in business anymore.

« Last Edit: May 26, 2021, 03:51:43 AM by Seadramon »

rukes

• Rep: 216
  • Yabba dabba doo
« Reply #433 on: May 25, 2021, 08:16:44 PM »
^ Arguing with the shopkeep about whether a certain shoe was cupsole or whatever? Now this is the Ultimate Cool Guy
Is it true?  Or did you read it on the slap message board?

Doom patrol

• Rep: 70
« Reply #434 on: May 25, 2021, 08:29:30 PM »
As demographics shift in skateboarding I look forward to the day I walk into a shop and get cool girl'd.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 260
« Reply #435 on: May 25, 2021, 08:50:36 PM »
As demographics shift in skateboarding I look forward to the day I walk into a shop and get cool girl'd.

I think craig has seen to it that girl won’t be cool for some time

Double Thick Filbert

• Rep: -56
« Reply #436 on: May 25, 2021, 08:56:03 PM »
I'm honestly way too cool to go into a teenager fashion shop that sells nerdy toys on the walls so I haven't been to a skate shop since like 2010.

Ankle_Lift

• Rep: 79
« Reply #437 on: May 25, 2021, 09:25:21 PM »
Best to just go in and out of shops with what you want.

What you need to do is to go in and ask how much every single sticker under the glass counter costs. 

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1065
« Reply #438 on: May 25, 2021, 09:25:32 PM »
Expand Quote
I’ve only ever been cool guy’d in the Bay area.

First time was by some hype beast clowns working at FTC when I was 18. A friend I was with happened to be getting dlx flow at the time and had a box to pick up. When they realized that, they changed, acting all nice and welcoming. We just laughed.

Second time at 510. I went to Berkeley so would always hit that shop for my skate needs throughout college. Always too cool for light conversation until I met a few skating the Berkeley park. And even then only after I showed up with <random pro friend>.

My take is it’s all ego-based.

Most people at skate shops are cool, but cool guying is a definitely a thing that occurs. It’s lame, but working at a skate shop beyond a certain age probably yields a certain level of insecurity.  So maybe it’s just projection. Hard to care about what a grown man working at a skate shop thinks about you.

Any younger people cool guying are probably just caught up in the passion and novelty - I say let them enjoy it.
[close]

Maybe it was an off day? I am from the Bay and DLX, FTC and especially 510 have all been really cool to even a non skating ass as myself. The only place I have been so called cool guyed was a HUF and you can argue that isn’t even a skate shop. But HUF was around before the Hypebeast term was even invented so I guess they get a pass for being that way. I just remember Jon Igei worked there and I somewhat fanned out on him and he was so damn quiet.

Igei made you feel icky?

BugleBites

• Rep: -68
« Reply #439 on: May 25, 2021, 09:39:35 PM »

Oh I know of one that's been holding that down for over a decade. It's a shame too because it's a good shop and good people, but I also work at a shop and we hear from people regularly that they got vibed out at the other shop. I think that's common when one of the local shops is the hub for all the hooked up skaters etc. The 'cool' shops often seem intimidating to people who don't sit at that section of the cafeteria, so to speak.

fredgallSOTY

« Reply #440 on: May 25, 2021, 10:10:19 PM »

lol

versacekid420

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1225
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #441 on: May 25, 2021, 10:10:46 PM »
just posted. not related to lotties, but still nak drama

edit: fredgallsoty beat me to it by seconds

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 315
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #442 on: May 25, 2021, 10:20:40 PM »
Igei made you feel icky?

Oh no. That was just a story. Igei almost reacted like he wasn't even a pro skater when I thought he was rad as hell. I think he was on Zoo at the time. Just surprising seeing pros work a side job without you knowing and you are like "Whoa....John Igei" and he like wanted nothing to do with me. Haha.
I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin
sew your asshole closed, and keep feedin you
and feedin you, and feedin you, and feedin you!

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -763
« Reply #443 on: May 25, 2021, 10:27:24 PM »

Can't login to insta what does it say
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1326
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #444 on: May 25, 2021, 10:29:02 PM »
Of focusing boards on focusing shirts
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

HORSES

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 334
« Reply #445 on: May 25, 2021, 10:31:02 PM »
Based on a few stories floating around they got jumped, and KB ran?

fredgallSOTY

« Reply #446 on: May 25, 2021, 10:34:46 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

it says in all caps "*n- word* CAUGHT ME SLIPPIN ONCE OKAY SO WHAT! LMFAOOOOO MR DO MY SHIT NO MATTER WHAT LMFAOOO"

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #447 on: May 25, 2021, 10:44:43 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
it says in all caps "*n- word* CAUGHT ME SLIPPIN ONCE OKAY SO WHAT! LMFAOOOOO MR DO MY SHIT NO MATTER WHAT LMFAOOO"

Thanks !

Not too sure what that means but judging by post before yours they got jumped? Jesus how dangerous is LA lol?

Closest I've been is SF and never had any problems anytime I've been.

fredgallSOTY

« Reply #448 on: May 25, 2021, 10:48:12 PM »
LA's just as dangerous as any city, rough pockets are pretty rough, some chaos throughout. its a metro area of almost 14 milion, shits gonna pop off at times. however i think Nak just isnt the best at making friends lol

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #449 on: May 25, 2021, 10:49:47 PM »
LA's just as dangerous as any city, rough pockets are pretty rough, some chaos throughout. its a metro area of almost 14 milion, shits gonna pop off at times. however i think Nak just isnt the best at making friends lol

Lol

Agreed