Author Topic: Nevada  (Read 325 times)

mushroom slice

Nevada
« on: May 25, 2021, 09:24:09 AM »
Hello
I am planning on a trip across Nevada. Does anyone on here have any recommendations on what route to take? I’m thinking either highway 50 “the loneliest road” or farther south on the “extraterrestrial highway”  i will be camping. Thank you in advance

Jagr

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 116
Re: Nevada
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2021, 07:56:29 PM »
Where are you going? Where are you coming from?

I'm partial to Highway 50, but I'm also fan of desolate places. You can easily swing by Great Basin National Park in the eastern part of Nevada if you have the time.

Sacramento Pass near Baker is a very convenient place to camp in eastern Nevada along Highway 50. It's close to the highway and can get kind of busy, but it's free since it's a BLM campground.

I'm also a big fan of camping near Illipah Reservoir a bit west of Ely. There's another free BLM campground on the lake. Here, though, I prefer to continue down the forest service road (I think it's NF-401) for at least a mile. There's a ton of dispersed campsites just around the big hill. There's also a bunch of old abandoned mines to check out if you have time.

Honestly, there's awesome free dispersed camping all along Highway 50 if you keep your eyes open. You'll notice a bunch of little dirt/gravel BLM or NF roads. Plenty of space to find a private campsite and the night skies are really dark so lots of stars.

Not much skating along here though. Probably none until you hit Fallon (if you're heading east to west). Reno has some fun ditches, but I don't have coordinates/directions to those.

tkp

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 513
    • shop lurker avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2021, 07:16:29 AM »
I'll second Great Basin National Park and Illipah campground. I'm not sure if the cave tours are still running at Great Basin, but it's worth it if so.

Illipah Campground is also a nice free campground. It was empty when I camped, but that was in early winter.

Hickison Petroglyph Recreation Area is a cool picnic / scenic zone. I think I car camped in the parking lot there. Spencer Hot springs are nearby.

Carson city skatepark is fun as well as Indian Hills park.

mushroom slice

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2021, 09:35:19 AM »
Hi! Thank you. I will try and check all this out.  I’m in Brian Head Utah today and am headed west. I am in zero rush and have zero destination. Just wandering.
Great Basin it is.