Author Topic: Energy Drink Hats  (Read 6443 times)

shannamal

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 353
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: Energy Drink Hats
« Reply #30 on: May 26, 2021, 08:50:31 AM »
only good dude to wear a red bull hat was zered.

i don’t think any of you are real, i think slap was invented by my mom to make me think people want to talk to me

Cheshire Cat

• Rep: 88
« Reply #31 on: May 26, 2021, 09:16:20 AM »
Like the opposite of pros drinking water from Monster or Bull branded containers during contests, I want red bull to sell de-badged cans so no one around me knows how little I respect my own body.

nicotinewheel

• Rep: -76
« Reply #32 on: May 26, 2021, 09:17:14 AM »
Raytheon beanie/Exxon t/Monsanto jorts

KUberry

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -130
« Reply #33 on: May 26, 2021, 09:43:32 AM »
Expand Quote
Two thoughts on this

Seems like they could at least come up with better or alternative logos. The logos are all so ugly with bad colors

I was watching dew Olympic thing and told my wife that skaters in these things mostly look like golf or tennis pros which is so funny. Looks comfortable though.

Expand Quote
I remember reading somewhere that Jamie Foy makes close to $5000 a month for wearing the Red Bull hat at all times.

Yea so $5,000 X 12 = 60,000
[close]

I think it’s way more jereme Rogers used to get 10k prob 15 years ago
[close]

You might be right. But back in the early 2000's, some skaters were getting exorbitant amounts of money from their sponsors. I remember reading a interview with Jereme and he said he was making close to $35,000 to $50,000 a month.

For most dudes, numbers like that aren't possible anymore unless your Nyjah

Redbull paid Jereme $12,500/month plus photo incentives plus matched his contest winnings.

Salmon Agah

« Reply #34 on: May 26, 2021, 09:50:15 AM »
To answer the question though, I believe the first person to don the heavy energy drink branding was Sandro Dias, rocking the Red Bull helmet and water bottle for the on-the-deck shots. I have no clue what he would've been making but I'd imagine it was some pretty good coin, there were a lot of televised vert events. I'd imagine he's a pretty cool person if you were to reach out to him with questions on social media.

companguero

• Rep: 250
  • sesquipedalian
« Reply #35 on: May 26, 2021, 09:51:03 AM »

Is it considered in bad taste to repost one's OC for self glorification?

Quote from: lazer69
Bitch, I dont got time to be on here reading every post.

TastyBurrito

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 558
« Reply #36 on: May 26, 2021, 10:03:49 AM »
Expand Quote
i think i’m in the “fuck it, give me the money” camp, but there is something about having the entirety of your career partially obscured by a red bull logo that makes it feel like it’s maybe not worth it
[close]

But on RB it's the extras that would make it worth it. Travel budget, weird location shoots, cross over events, recovery, nutrition and fitness help. Having RB behind you opens so many doors. You want me to wear your cap so I can get these benefits? Sign me up.

This. I see on Leticia's and Zion's IG their training facility and access to sports therapists and physical therapists, that alone is worth it to me. RB is putting money into their athletes.

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I know people like GT and Ishod are sponsored by monster, but don't wear the hats.
[close]

They have always had a monster patch somewhere, either in the t-shirt sleeve or on beanies, but that also has to be in sight.
[close]

i've never noticed this. got any examples?

If you look at KOTR, Kyle Walker, whenever doing his interview talks the camera, always had the Vans logo and Monster logo stitched onto his hoodie or hat and was ALWAYS on screen. It's also why in Nyjah's personal skatepark, some of his most used sections (the stairs/rail) the Monsters logo is big and bold on the wall behind him.

Cheshire Cat

• Rep: 88
« Reply #37 on: May 26, 2021, 10:39:49 AM »
Remember when people had Sobe stickers on their helmets.

Also to J Cass getting 12.5k + matched contest winnings, damm. If that's true that could go some way to explaining him. That and cocaine.

Hyliannightmare

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -199
« Reply #38 on: May 26, 2021, 10:40:06 AM »
dad hat style is to just have some beat up hat with a logo nobody cares about like Penzoil or Branderton Links or whatever anyway, so the Foy style Red Bull hat isn't really too bad

the default Monster hats though... hope those guys are getting a big paycheck just for having to wear a black high crown flat brim in 2021.  disturbing to read in this thread that may actually be a preferred choice

100% better. Dad hats are gross

HeavyAndExpensive

• Rep: 117
« Reply #39 on: May 26, 2021, 10:44:56 AM »
I think it’s only acceptable for pros. Tons of cash to wear a stupid hat while do what you love while you still can? You’d be playing yourself not to. I’m sure there’s a threshold where it becomes too much but I can’t think of any examples yet. If you’re not getting paid and you’re not homeless, take the damn hat off you dumb goon

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 705
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #40 on: May 26, 2021, 10:49:30 AM »
To answer the question though, I believe the first person to don the heavy energy drink branding was Sandro Dias, rocking the Red Bull helmet and water bottle for the on-the-deck shots. I have no clue what he would've been making but I'd imagine it was some pretty good coin, there were a lot of televised vert events. I'd imagine he's a pretty cool person if you were to reach out to him with questions on social media.

he was rocking it as early as 2003  -
that is at least the oldest clip i could find
this is around the time i first remember red bull even really getting popular. We didnt get it in Canada til a little bit later

I thought Sheckler might have been one of the first to wear the actual New Era Fitted hat, but the earliest clip i could find of him repping the bull was 2009!! i really cant remember who the early riders were. Maybe he was the one to start that lame ass trend though!

i feel like it really took off once sheckler was on
nyjah rebrand was 2012 and thats when the monster hat came into effect. Him, Lutzka, and Pudwill were already wearing the kooky hats ~2007 (this was the tail end of the tall T era). Chris Joslin came on the scene shortly after I feel like and cemented in the hat

Thanks for your insight on this Salman :) thats cool we have someone who was around the contest scene to give us the history!!!  8)

mj23

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 237
« Reply #41 on: May 26, 2021, 11:04:23 AM »
Makes a lot of sense for contest skaters imo, since big budget live sports are always drenched top to bottom in sponsor logos. I don’t mind the idea of contest skaters basically wearing a uniform like any other pro athlete.

If you’re wearing that shit in the streets, however... that’s pretty lame.

artskool

• Rep: 34
« Reply #42 on: May 26, 2021, 11:34:40 AM »
Shout out to Paul Rodriguez for pioneering the art of custom soda embroideries on hats. I think he was the first to wear a cap he would normally be wearing, but have a Dew embroidery popped on there. It was pretty jarring at the time.

sometimeperhaps

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 143
« Reply #43 on: May 26, 2021, 12:03:21 PM »
Makes a lot of sense for contest skaters imo, since big budget live sports are always drenched top to bottom in sponsor logos. I don’t mind the idea of contest skaters basically wearing a uniform like any other pro athlete.

Totally makes sense for contests. When you think about the costs of placing one ad on a broadcast or even having your logo up around the park, it’s way cheaper to sponsor an athlete.

If Jamie Foy for instance is getting $60,000 a year and skates in all the street leagues and the DewTour you can assume he’ll have 10-15 minutes at least of interviews, runs, slow-mo of trucks, etc annually where the logo is visible or at least discernible. That’s probably close to seven figures if you want to run that amount of traditional advertising. And that doesn’t take into consideration social media, video parts, and whatever other web content.

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 638
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #44 on: May 26, 2021, 12:37:56 PM »
shit is embarrassing. might as well sk9 in a bk crown

Not gonna lie. I would do that for free chili cheeseburgers.
Hit me up Burger King.
IG: @flowterspace

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1367
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #45 on: May 26, 2021, 01:26:09 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
i think i’m in the “fuck it, give me the money” camp, but there is something about having the entirety of your career partially obscured by a red bull logo that makes it feel like it’s maybe not worth it
[close]

But on RB it's the extras that would make it worth it. Travel budget, weird location shoots, cross over events, recovery, nutrition and fitness help. Having RB behind you opens so many doors. You want me to wear your cap so I can get these benefits? Sign me up.

Also, you get to chose your gear and they brand it for you.
[close]
i agree with all of that, but it's like getting to go to an amazing studio and make records but then on every record someone goes "sponsored by red bull" over top of each track. i'd maybe just rather make one in my basement and take my chances. it'll sound cooler 30 years later
[close]

thats funny because Red Bull actually did build out music studios around the world and sponsored musicians for a couple decades and didn't do that. (turns out that wasn't a business winner and they shut down that program last year)
R R Re Red Bull Music sic sic ic

NGL I'm nostalgic for the days when Scion used to sponsor extreme music in a big way. Saw some really fucking good free shows.

On your earlier point @urbneathme, it's entirely possible that Jamie Foy will have a Red Bull hat on in all of the clips filmed during his window. That would definitely bum me out but Fugazi got in my head early.
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

pile

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 190
  • sweet, man.
« Reply #46 on: May 26, 2021, 02:01:52 PM »
i have a friend that used to be a red bull athlete, and he would make so much fucking money selling that shit. $300 usd for a hat no problem.

rukes

• Rep: 221
  • Yabba dabba doo
« Reply #47 on: May 26, 2021, 02:10:34 PM »
I'm sure there's a good reason, but I  want to know how a company like red bull, has so much cash to throw around on F1 racing teams, training facilities and all that jazz when all they sell is a drink that tastes like bulls piss.

Also, wear that gear if they are paying. You got a window to make good money in skating, so make that hay whilst the sun is shining.
Is it true?  Or did you read it on the slap message board?

Craig Lutzka

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 299
« Reply #48 on: May 26, 2021, 02:16:54 PM »
When street league was popular it was 10k per event(sls, xgames, dew tour) with a limit of 100k per year for monster was what I always heard.

Bread Harrity

• Rep: 260
« Reply #49 on: May 26, 2021, 02:28:23 PM »

Rejectnswerve

• Rep: 0
« Reply #50 on: May 26, 2021, 03:00:32 PM »
So, what's the deal with these?  Who was the first energy drink hat skater?  How much do they get paid?  Do they get paid less if they wear the hat backwards (lol)?  Why do more contest skaters wear them than street skaters (I think I know the answer to this one)? Why do more tranny skaters seem to wear them (potentially related to the previous question)?

At the end of men's park at Dew Tour, Zion, Sheckler, Midler and Foy were all in a big red bull hat wearing group and it just looked so lame.  Got me thinking about the incentives these skaters face. I know people like GT and Ishod are sponsored by monster, but don't wear the hats.

Monster actually makes their riders put little monster patches on their pants and shirts. Look closely at some of Ishod and Gabriel fortunats old ig posts and you will see what I mean

KGB

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -461
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #51 on: May 26, 2021, 03:03:29 PM »
Who's rocking that coconut penis energy drink hat?

"Armed with seven rounds of space doo-doo pistols"

manysnakes

« Reply #52 on: May 26, 2021, 03:10:08 PM »
Expand Quote
Redbull has a full COLLAB clothing line. I always appreciated how Torey made the effort to switch up his Redbull hat every time. If you're all rocking the same dad hat like FoyZion+crew at the end of Dew tour.

I'm surprised the energy drink hat never took off a weird trend, like how people started putting stickers on their boards like sponsored skaters do. Or like, if you want to ride for Nike, buy your own nikes to film in first. So if you want to ride for Redbull, buy your own Redbull hats so you get noticed.
[close]

RB has collab ranges with other sports teams/brands. they don't have a stock standard RB cap or beanie. Those are made for the athletes.

Yeah, I know that, for some inexplicable reason, the mountain bike Red Bull helmet is *highly* sought after. There's a pro cyclocross racer, Jeremy Powers, who gave a friend on mine his old Red Bull race helmet to my boss and holy shit was he stoked. I'm sure it's still displayed in a prominent position in his office.

I_Respect_Wood

• Rep: 11
« Reply #53 on: May 26, 2021, 03:11:18 PM »
It´s difficult to be in that situation and have to use a lame ass hat but at the same time win a lot of money for that.

Like someone said red bull take care of their riders with medical insurance and everything, from what I heard they payed for the Milton´s surgery  after breaking his foot on the car wash, yeah  he was a RB kid before, but they weren´t stoked in the SMOOOOOKES thing and let him go.

But that and travel budget plus incentives sounds like a lot of perks.

I remember TJ Rogers (I guess) saying in The Bunt that he got 50$ everytime one of his IG post get 1000 likes/views or something, that was a few years later, I  can imagine some top red bull pro getting a lot more for that, tag them, get repost or something similar.

Crazy.

Shamalamalon

• Rep: -14
« Reply #54 on: May 26, 2021, 06:17:15 PM »
i have a friend that used to be a red bull athlete, and he would make so much fucking money selling that shit. $300 usd for a hat no problem.

So people will pay $300 to fake looking like they are sponsored by RB?
Just because you can't buy those sponsored RB hats?
Wow, it's that's kinda lame but also a cool lil extra revenue stream too..

[URL=http://s109.

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 223
« Reply #55 on: May 26, 2021, 08:06:16 PM »
Close your eyes and picture Bucky Lasek.

Is it possible to imagine his face without a huge fucking Rockstar logo on his noggin?

I can’t do it.
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

rukes

• Rep: 221
  • Yabba dabba doo
« Reply #56 on: May 26, 2021, 08:23:12 PM »
You want a Red Bull Hat? I can get you a Red Bull Hat, believe me. There are ways, Dude. You don't wanna know about it, believe me.
Is it true?  Or did you read it on the slap message board?

bootscootboogy

• Rep: 3
« Reply #57 on: May 26, 2021, 08:41:28 PM »

Also to J Cass getting 12.5k + matched contest winnings, damm. If that's true that could go some way to explaining him. That and cocaine.

Red Bull is a gateway drug to cassanovaism

ThisFuckingDude

• Rep: -16
« Reply #58 on: May 26, 2021, 09:23:55 PM »
Close your eyes and picture Bucky Lasek.

Is it possible to imagine his face without a huge fucking Rockstar logo on his noggin?

I can’t do it.
I actually think of early 2000s Bucky with the white protec with the red straps I don’t identify with rockstar Bucky

689r

• Rep: 3
« Reply #59 on: May 27, 2021, 03:47:15 AM »
Some great responses here! Glad I posted this thread.

Also, you get to chose your gear and they brand it for you.

This is a good point (made by a few others as well).  The rehab facilities and physical therapy offered would be a serious perk.  I also had no idea that the red bull branded clothing was not made by red bull, but I guess it makes sense when I think of CJ Collins, for example, who seems to have multiple hats that are unlike the other riders.

Expand Quote
I know people like GT and Ishod are sponsored by monster, but don't wear the hats.
[close]

They have always had a monster patch somewhere, either in the t-shirt sleeve or on beanies, but that also has to be in sight.

A few people made this point.  I was aware of this; in particular, I remember Ishod wearing the blue oxford shirt during unsanctioned 2 that had a little monster patch, but again I assumed this was monster apparel rather than, say, a Nike shirt with a monster patch. 

i've never noticed this. got any examples?

You can see Ishod's shirt here: https://ww1.prweb.com/prfiles/2021/04/27/17895570/07_ishod_wair_skate_2021_sls_costamesa_justin_crawford_nyjah_huston_14.jpg

I have never noticed GT with a monster patch, but it is always on the bottom of his board as others said.

The only question that remains unanswered is whether they get paid less for wearing the hat backwards haha.