Author Topic: domestic US flight with trucks and wheels in carry on????  (Read 1193 times)

fuhkin_powahfood_kid

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1351
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
domestic US flight with trucks and wheels in carry on????
« on: May 28, 2021, 02:43:10 PM »
So I'm flying and it's been a while since I've taken a sled on the plane, and that's never been a problem, but a pain in the ass to stash overhead. This trip I'm only bringing my trucks and wheels because it's time for a new deck anyways. I'm wondering if anyone has travelled with a similar situation. Before the pandemic, I flew at least 4x/year and never had an issue with TSA but have seen them make people toss some seemingly benign shit. I really, really don't want to deal with that and would rather mail them for $8 than pay $35 to check my bag.

Any thoughts?
If you plant ice, you’re gonna harvest wind

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1117
Re: domestic US flight with trucks and wheels in carry on????
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2021, 03:10:34 PM »
Just flew back and forth last week across the country with trucks and wheels in my carry-on luggage. No one stopped me or said anything to me about it. I suspect that it barely registers as out of the ordinary, after what the average TSA screener sees.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

shpongle

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 200
  • love everyOne and tell the truth
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2021, 03:52:36 PM »
So I'm flying and it's been a while since I've taken a sled on the plane, and that's never been a problem, but a pain in the ass to stash overhead. This trip I'm only bringing my trucks and wheels because it's time for a new deck anyways. I'm wondering if anyone has travelled with a similar situation. Before the pandemic, I flew at least 4x/year and never had an issue with TSA but have seen them make people toss some seemingly benign shit. I really, really don't want to deal with that and would rather mail them for $8 than pay $35 to check my bag.

Any thoughts?

when i went to japan a year ago it costed me 120$ to bring my complete board back to the states....and they said they would charge me still if i disassembled it and had my trucks/wheels in my backpack... fucking scammers. air asia=shit lol

fuhkin_powahfood_kid

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2021, 04:30:49 PM »
Just flew back and forth last week across the country with trucks and wheels in my carry-on luggage. No one stopped me or said anything to me about it. I suspect that it barely registers as out of the ordinary, after what the average TSA screener sees.

Word. Thanks. Figure as much.

pugmaster

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1536
  • Overweight and Underprepared
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2021, 05:22:47 PM »
I've never had any issues flying with a board assembled or not.  Usually I fly Southwest.  I have not flown in the past 2 years however.
"...We got the nuclear worm over here..."

Never forget:
Rusty_Berrings, 360 frip, Yapple Dapple, Bubblegum Tate

TheLurper

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 647
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2021, 05:34:22 PM »
Just don't fly shit ass Spirit Airlines. They will charge you 50+ for "sports equipment."

Quote from: ChuckRamone
I love when people bring up world hunger. It makes everything meaningless.
"That guy is double parked."
"Who cares? There are people starving to death! Besides, how does that affect you? Does it lessen the joy of parking?

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 379
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2021, 06:25:00 PM »
Just don't fly shit ass Spirit Airlines. They will charge you 50+ for "sports equipment."

Screencap this just in case I'd say.

Also, never carry-on a board through Heathrow. Got mine confiscated there when going through security for a layover to Amsterdam. It was a new Jack Sabback Traffic deck that I set up the morning of the flight just so I'd have a fresh board to help make the trip special. Even today, my biggest regret is not focusing the board right in the airport just to make sure none of the security stole it to give to their kid.

RIP buddy.

matty_c

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 459
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2021, 07:36:17 PM »
Worst I ever had was I had to pay 15 and they put my shit in shrink wrap

Best bet just put trucks in your luggage and strap a bunch of boards together with duct tape as seperate luggage or just put the setup backwards and strap your setup backwards to your spare boards?
listen to cosmic psychos

TheLurper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 647
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2021, 09:40:07 PM »
Also, never carry-on a board through Heathrow. Got mine confiscated there when going through security for a layover to Amsterdam. It was a new Jack Sabback Traffic deck that I set up the morning of the flight just so I'd have a fresh board to help make the trip special. Even today, my biggest regret is not focusing the board right in the airport just to make sure none of the security stole it to give to their kid.

Agreed. In my experience, Heathrow security are pretty much always dicks about skateboards. I've had hit and miss attempts at other Euro/Russian airports, but Heathrow they always get me.

Traveling with a film camera in Europe is a nightmare as well. Athens, Lisbon, and Paris have all fucked me when it comes to refusing to do hand inspections of my super8 camera.

Quote from: ChuckRamone
I love when people bring up world hunger. It makes everything meaningless.
"That guy is double parked."
"Who cares? There are people starving to death! Besides, how does that affect you? Does it lessen the joy of parking?

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2021, 07:53:54 AM »
I bought one of those nylon skateboard bags from eBay and it definitely helps with traveling, not because carrying a skateboard is hard but because things like a skateboard placed in appropriate-appearing bag attract less scrutiny.

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1474
  • Illusion Flip
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2021, 08:12:34 AM »
Just make sure your skate tools are in your checked luggage. Don't have a screw driver etc in carry on.

Jagr

• Rep: 116
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2021, 12:55:33 PM »
This is what I always do (trucks/wheels in bag, buy new deck at destination) when flying. Never had a problem. Just flew back and forth cross US in past few weeks with this setup. I never bring a skate tool along as I hear they'll confiscate/throw those though.

Some dude

• Rep: -43
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2021, 03:52:43 PM »

Any thoughts?

Overhead? They don’t care if you put it under the seat. Do you have a backpack with board straps? You can attach your board and it counts as one piece of carry-on. Once in the runway during boarding, hold your board in hand getting on the plane. Backpack goes overhead..board goes under your seat flipped grip down (pushed towards the seat in front of you..not behind you..and then I even use my trucks/wheels as feet rests).

fuhkin_powahfood_kid

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2021, 10:30:01 PM »
Easiest trip thru, ever. Had set of trucks, 3 sets bike pedals, and some tools. Gotta love mid holiday wknd flights. 5 mins in line!

Good looking out on the tips, buds. I used to travel with only my board and a day pack but I've gotten lazier and less inclined to lugging stuff all over while i wait. Not to mention i wanna wear more than 1 pair of clothes on a month long trip. Now its a daypack and small suitcase most of the time.  Anyways, flights gonna be taking off to the beast coast. Much love doods

LordManHammer

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -324
  • (0_o) whatever dog you probably suck at it
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2021, 04:57:25 AM »
Flew from west palm beach to Chattanooga and had no grief.

I had a duffel bag full of boards and clothes alongside a heavy duty jansport backpack full of trucks and wheels assembled no one gave me shit.

Check whatever you don’t want overhead as you’ll get the odd random conversation about how they use to or my son skate etc....
Dueces Bitch's

Gary Bucket

• Rep: 42
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2021, 01:16:09 PM »
Perfect timing for the thread as I’m flying cross USA with my board for the first time

Jet Blue:
A skateboard or longboard will count as a carry-on or checked item, as long as it meets the size requirements. If checked, it will be accepted at the customer's own risk. JetBlue will not be liable for damage, loss, or spoilage of conditionally accepted items.

American:
Allowance and requirements
1 skateboard
Cost
Standard checked bag fees of your destination apply up to 50lbs/23kgs and 126in/320cm (length + width + height) and standard overweight fee applies from 51lbs/23kgs to 70lbs/32kgs.

Probably only safe to assume this applies domestically and international is a craps shoot

fuhkin_powahfood_kid

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2021, 09:16:31 AM »
Perfect timing for the thread as I’m flying cross USA with my board for the first time

Jet Blue:
A skateboard or longboard will count as a carry-on or checked item, as long as it meets the size requirements. If checked, it will be accepted at the customer's own risk. JetBlue will not be liable for damage, loss, or spoilage of conditionally accepted items.

American:
1 skateboard
Cost
Standard checked bag fees of your destination apply up to 50lbs/23kgs and 126in/320cm (length + width + height) and standard overweight fee applies from 51lbs/23kgs to 70lbs/32kgs.

Probably only safe to assume this applies domestically and international is a craps shoot

On this jetblue flight from SFO>BOS I saw 2 longboards and 2 people (hype beast stuff) carrying wrapped decks as well as their their luggage.

Flying was super chill. Seemed like, for the most part, everyone was of the mind of "aaah, some normalcy." Safe travels

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2021, 08:23:11 PM »

Jet Blue:

American:
1 skateboard
Cost

Alaska Airlines has a curiously worded policy regarding sports equipment, where they seem to reserve the right to charge you to check it. In practice, the only hassle I've ever received traveling with a skateboard is from the TSA. No one on the airline has even given a shit.

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/travel-info/baggage/special-baggage/traveling-with-sporting-equipment

Miller92

• Rep: -282
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2021, 07:42:05 PM »
i used to take my complete board with me onto the plane and put it into the overhead wheels up a few years ago on southwest...has that changed? I'm ignorant

Lloyd Braun

• Rep: 80
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2021, 06:55:45 PM »
Depends on the airline, the only one I’ve heard give problems is spirit but they’re a budget airline so that’s to be expected. I used to fly once a month for 3 years for my old job brought my board every time and never had a problem domestically, almost always flew American tho, just carry on, put in the overhead bin.

International is another story, if you ever travel international I’d suggest just getting a bag your board will fit in and check it. Less hassle

Gary Bucket

• Rep: 42
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2021, 02:35:57 AM »
Delta and American went swimmingly. Trusted the wording on the policy.

On Southwest right now and their policy is worded a little more funky:
“Skateboard (manual or non-electric), may be substituted for a carryon or a checked bag. If the skateboard fits under the seat, it does not need to be in a bag or covered, but it does have to be stowed with the wheels up so that it doesn't roll. If stowed in an overhead bin, a skateboard must be stowed with the wheels up and needs to be in a bag or have the wheels covered (trash bag is acceptable) so as not to damage other articles.”

Did trucks, wheels and tool in a plastic grocery bag in carry on, deck separate. No problems getting on, flight attendant was super appreciative, probably how I’m gonna do it when I’ve got the time moving forward