Author Topic: Delaminating Deck Fix  (Read 670 times)

RichardBarkley

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -763
Delaminating Deck Fix
« on: June 02, 2021, 10:27:41 AM »
I have a 3 week old FA that's delaminating on the toe side on both nose and tail

I know from experience with old decks everything slowly goes to shit from here.

It's a fucking travesty with such a new deck.

So my question is... Is there anything I can do to stop this? I was thinking wood glue and a vice grips to reglue?

Or am I fighting a lost cause?

I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

jerrygurneyscream

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 130
Re: Delaminating Deck Fix
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2021, 10:38:15 AM »
I have a 3 week old FA that's delaminating on the toe side on both nose and tail

I know from experience with old decks everything slowly goes to shit from here.

It's a fucking travesty with such a new deck.

So my question is... Is there anything I can do to stop this? I was thinking wood glue and a vice grips to reglue?

Or am I fighting a lost cause?

Ive used shoe goo before and had it work, however im in the same boat right now on a fairly new quasi and it didnt work at all. looking at you ps stix.

I didnt use vice grips though that might be the trick to it i honestly dont remember how i made it work the first time. I probably just piled shit on top of it until it seemed like it was holding the wood together

Mr. Stinky

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 311
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2021, 10:50:49 AM »
Wood glue hasn't been strong enough to last more than a couple sessions when I've used it to fix decks I fucked up on the nose and tail so they started delaminating. Something like epoxy or a gel cyanoacrylate would dry harder and work a little better. No matter what, strong clamps are a must.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1103
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2021, 10:55:42 AM »
I’ve had good luck with wood glue, whatever the good expensive stuff was from Home Depot. Apply liberally, clamp between two pieces of scrap wood in a vise or with woodworking clamps. Let it sit for a day or two, sand down the excess and skate. I don’t doubt that stronger epoxies will yield better results long term, but this fix has worked for me for the effective life of the deck.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

RichardBarkley

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -763
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2021, 10:57:32 AM »
Wood glue hasn't been strong enough to last more than a couple sessions when I've used it to fix decks I fucked up on the nose and tail so they started delaminating. Something like epoxy or a gel cyanoacrylate would dry harder and work a little better. No matter what, strong clamps are a must.

Thanks mate

Im grabbing a string clamp out of work tomorrow.

Is that like Gorilla Glue ?
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

Mr. Stinky

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 311
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2021, 11:18:35 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Thanks mate

Im grabbing a string clamp out of work tomorrow.

Is that like Gorilla Glue ?

Superglue, basically, but not the runny liquid kind.  The gel will stay where you put it and you can use something like a toothpick to make sure it gets spread out everywhere you need it.  Hope you have some luck, a prematurely sogged out board is the pits. 

Frank and Fred

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2021, 12:39:05 PM »
Honestly I fully support prolonging deck life but if that board were mine, I'd use it as an excuse to try some stuff that usually kills boards... lip slides on ledges, super tight crusty spots that destroy the nose and tail.

In saying that I have had good luck sanding down and using surfboard expoy on this type of thing...

This stuff dries pretty hard and then you can sand it smooth...