Author Topic: Corey Glick on Quasi?  (Read 7973 times)

banksandledges

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 206
Re: Corey Glick on Quasi?
« Reply #60 on: June 10, 2021, 05:12:53 PM »
This is nice speculation but if they want someone in Chicago, can THEY PUT NICK MATTHEWS ON ALREADY?!!!!

Lloyd Braun

• Rep: 80
« Reply #61 on: June 10, 2021, 05:46:32 PM »
This is nice speculation but if they want someone in Chicago, can THEY PUT NICK MATTHEWS ON ALREADY?!!!!

I agree. Dude rips

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 247
« Reply #62 on: June 10, 2021, 06:24:33 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
that would be amazing, he is too good to be on foundation and get paid peanuts. not to mention having to ride the shittiest shapes next to control blanks.
[close]

Do we assume Quasi pays more? Because idk about that
[close]
considering most of the foundations pros have had to work fulltime jobs outside of being a pro skater for them (only getting royalties from board sales), id hope chad looks after his pros more than this legacy brand that reinvents itself so frequently.
[close]

I'd hope so too but just because I'm hoping it doesn't mean it's true. Lots of guys on bigger brands still have to work jobs so I'm personally not going to assume Quasi is doing so well that their guys don't have to even though I hope it's the case. Say what you will about Foundation reinventing itself frequently but their riders generally stay, they don't have a high turnover rate on team members... now maybe their guys don't generally have a lot of options on that front and that's why but all of this is conjecture and guessing.

Hope it's the case and if anyone has actual insight to what the numbers are like please enlighten
I think whether you have to work or can live off skating primarily depends on whether you are getting shoe, contest or energy drink money. Is anyone making enough off of just board sales to do anything but slum it in a skate house with 8 dudes cramped into a 4 bedroom place?

I'll say this, being on Quasi is probably more likely to get you a pro-shoe or at least a colorway than being on Foundation. But, Glick I believe is the only rider on Foundation who is getting a check from a big shoe brand.

Cuban_Lynx

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1430
  • I got the internet goin' nuts
« Reply #63 on: June 10, 2021, 07:55:14 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I agree. Dude rips
For real

coldbrew

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 402
« Reply #64 on: June 10, 2021, 07:59:27 PM »
In an overall comment here, being a pro skater sounds kinda boring. Sure skating all the time sounds fun in theory but in the long term wouldn’t you want to do something else too regardless?

I love my job as an art director, but I also pick up freelance jobs on the side or have done side work outside of the design field because it’s nice to have something else to do and make a couple bucks. Why do we look at professional skateboarders working other jobs, whether to fully live or not, any differently?

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 247
« Reply #65 on: June 10, 2021, 09:11:04 PM »
In an overall comment here, being a pro skater sounds kinda boring. Sure skating all the time sounds fun in theory but in the long term wouldn’t you want to do something else too regardless?

I love my job as an art director, but I also pick up freelance jobs on the side or have done side work outside of the design field because it’s nice to have something else to do and make a couple bucks. Why do we look at professional skateboarders working other jobs, whether to fully live or not, any differently?
Simply because it is an idealized job. People thought riding for DLX, Tum Yeto or Crailtap meant you just got to travel the world and skate growing up without financial worries. Outside of a select few with top-paying sponsors in shoes or energy drinks is that actually applicable too. Like, how many pro-skaters are actually pulling in 50k or more a year just on sponsorships and contests? A hundred maybe?

Garfiled L. Asagna LLC

• Rep: -2
« Reply #66 on: June 10, 2021, 09:20:39 PM »

Would be dope for Corey. That red jacket surfing the wall Bart Simpson wallride sold me on the guy. Specially considered Chicago area.. Nick Matthew's tho I like your mindset. Not gonna lie back in the day like 2006 ish Krush days I though he was a brat. Obviously he was just a younging that ripped, these days though find the kid to be refreshing. Dude could back smith neck high if he felt like it feels. Either or would be cool to see. Nick definitely deserving of whatever the future bringing he's been slept on for a while and given the area he came up in it'd be tight to see. Back then kids in Tinley were getting in to dope hard lotta Krush guys fell to that shit cool 2 see he made it out years down the line. He's been ripping for a decade plus he had that Jah nyah sapling vibe as a grom.

KGB

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -461
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #67 on: June 10, 2021, 09:54:50 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
that would be amazing, he is too good to be on foundation and get paid peanuts. not to mention having to ride the shittiest shapes next to control blanks.
[close]

[close]
considering most of the foundations pros have had to work fulltime jobs outside of being a pro skater for them (only getting royalties from board sales), id hope chad looks after his pros more than this legacy brand that reinvents itself so frequently.
[close]

I'd hope so too but just because I'm hoping it doesn't mean it's true. Lots of guys on bigger brands still have to work jobs so I'm personally not going to assume Quasi is doing so well that their guys don't have to even though I hope it's the case. Say what you will about Foundation reinventing itself frequently but their riders generally stay, they don't have a high turnover rate on team members... now maybe their guys don't generally have a lot of options on that front and that's why but all of this is conjecture and guessing.

Hope it's the case and if anyone has actual insight to what the numbers are like please enlighten
[close]

gilbert does a bunch of other shit outside of skating which is smart in the long run. josh wilson works, or worked few odd jobs. tyler bledsoe is a tattoo artist.
[close]

Artist might be a stretch

It's his Art, he was drawing/painting it before he started tattooing it and still does. How are you saying that is not Art? He's not tattooing other peoples stuff.  I mean you can buy his paintings also.

"Armed with seven rounds of space doo-doo pistols"

formula420

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 81
« Reply #68 on: June 10, 2021, 11:05:28 PM »
It would be sick if f and quasi turns into a girl/anti hero thing where f guys ride some q boards but never the other way around but it's all in good fun.

CHONGO

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 28
    • tumblr avatar image
« Reply #69 on: June 11, 2021, 12:04:34 AM »
Now this.... This would be friggin sick

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 263
« Reply #70 on: June 11, 2021, 12:31:50 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

gilbert does a bunch of other shit outside of skating which is smart in the long run. josh wilson works, or worked few odd jobs. tyler bledsoe is a tattoo artist.
[close]

[close]

It's his Art, he was drawing/painting it before he started tattooing it and still does. How are you saying that is not Art? He's not tattooing other peoples stuff.  I mean you can buy his paintings also.

You can guy Jim Greco’s pants, doesn’t make him Saks 5th Avenue.  Any skater can and will sell anything they’ve done, doesn’t make it quality.   I’d never call what he did art, I was flagging calling him an artist.   I guess some people spread that term out to everyone who practices a skill or has a creative hobby, but I personally limit it to something with a little more aesthetic/technical/conceptual heft.   Mike Gigliotti sells his drawings but I wouldn’t consider him an artist either, perhaps an illustrator or something like that.  Which isn’t any better or worse than being called an artist.   Bledsoe learned he skill of tattooing.   I can learn the skill of sculpting.  But it takes time, talent, perspective to elevate a skill into an art and he’s certainly not there yet

Cuban_Lynx

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1430
  • I got the internet goin' nuts
« Reply #71 on: June 11, 2021, 05:13:17 AM »
It’s been a while since I’ve looked at this page, but some of his flash is pretty good. A lot of his early tattoos were comically bad, but I can’t tell if that’s what he was going for?
« Last Edit: June 12, 2021, 06:43:03 PM by Cuban_Lynx »

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #72 on: June 11, 2021, 05:40:58 AM »
He’s definitely improved a lot.   I don’t mean this as a diss, but is this style meant to look amateurish?   Or is it just that I’m seeing skaters mostly drawing this way?

arrbee

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 437
« Reply #73 on: June 11, 2021, 06:21:01 AM »
He’s definitely improved a lot.   I don’t mean this as a diss, but is this style meant to look amateurish?   Or is it just that I’m seeing skaters mostly drawing this way?

He has gotten better at tattooing for sure. His flash has always been decent and has also gotten better. The style he is trying to tattoo is American traditional which was basically people just figuring it out so some of the art is kinda bad and now there is a whole genre that mimics these bad designs such as the picture I'll toss in the end, that's a line drawing from the 70's that tattooers today mimic to the T. Then there is like neo traditional which is people that said "this art sucks we can do that tattoo but make it look 1,000 times better" and that's what a lot of people get now and call traditional. Then people took it even further into realism/portrait stuff

Quote from: DaveFuck
youre fucking FRIED if you think im gonna listen to dan corrigan talk about cariuma

stevedave

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 97
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #74 on: June 11, 2021, 07:00:14 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Simply because it is an idealized job. People thought riding for DLX, Tum Yeto or Crailtap meant you just got to travel the world and skate growing up without financial worries. Outside of a select few with top-paying sponsors in shoes or energy drinks is that actually applicable too. Like, how many pro-skaters are actually pulling in 50k or more a year just on sponsorships and contests? A hundred maybe?

THIS!!!  I think in this day and age having watched a lot of older skaters burnout and have nothing left, younger pros are realizing if you're not the in the upper tier of dudes, you're probably not getting that crazy shoe money and regardless of how good you are, being a pro skater is a temporary thing.  And the earlier you realize that, the better off you'll be in the long run.  Also, I think as people get older, regardless of where you stand in skateboarding, you just start to develop different interests, whether it be hobbies or family or whatever. 
"See you are like Mark David Chapman and my posts are John Lennon. You having nothing to offer so the best you can do is try to assassinate my beautiful posts. My Dental Plan is Strawberry fields and you are a sexually frustrated fat man."  ---NigNogNooo---

Theme For A Jackal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 103
« Reply #75 on: June 11, 2021, 07:45:09 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

You can guy Jim Greco’s pants, doesn’t make him Saks 5th AvenueAny skater can and will sell anything they’ve done, doesn’t make it quality.   I’d never call what he did art, I was flagging calling him an artist.   I guess some people spread that term out to everyone who practices a skill or has a creative hobby, but I personally limit it to something with a little more aesthetic/technical/conceptual heft.   Mike Gigliotti sells his drawings but I wouldn’t consider him an artist either, perhaps an illustrator or something like that.  Which isn’t any better or worse than being called an artist.   Bledsoe learned he skill of tattooing.   I can learn the skill of sculpting.  But it takes time, talent, perspective to elevate a skill into an art and he’s certainly not there yet

Greco's not making the pants, though, just selling pants he's worn. If you're making art and selling it then you're an artist even if you're not doing it on a fully professional level. Even if it's shit, it's still art. Art does not equal quality. Also, buddy what do you think illustrators are? Do you know what type of school you have to go to to be an illustrator?

KGB

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -461
« Reply #76 on: June 12, 2021, 12:35:48 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

You can guy Jim Greco’s pants, doesn’t make him Saks 5th AvenueAny skater can and will sell anything they’ve done, doesn’t make it quality.   I’d never call what he did art, I was flagging calling him an artist.   I guess some people spread that term out to everyone who practices a skill or has a creative hobby, but I personally limit it to something with a little more aesthetic/technical/conceptual heft.   Mike Gigliotti sells his drawings but I wouldn’t consider him an artist either, perhaps an illustrator or something like that.  Which isn’t any better or worse than being called an artist.   Bledsoe learned he skill of tattooing.   I can learn the skill of sculpting.  But it takes time, talent, perspective to elevate a skill into an art and he’s certainly not there yet
[close]

Greco's not making the pants, though, just selling pants he's worn. If you're making art and selling it then you're an artist even if you're not doing it on a fully professional level. Even if it's shit, it's still art. Art does not equal quality. Also, buddy what do you think illustrators are? Do you know what type of school you have to go to to be an illustrator?

Sounds about right to me.

"Armed with seven rounds of space doo-doo pistols"

lk130

• Topic and Post Probation
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -829
« Reply #77 on: June 12, 2021, 01:02:40 AM »
If you go to any type of 'Art Institute' you can be an Illustrator +
I need Cariuma -Me

yungxmulaxbaby

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #78 on: June 12, 2021, 03:55:47 AM »
Saks sells clothes, they don’t make clothes.  Analogy stands

Ok - maybe I didn’t refer to Gigliotti’s thing correctly, but it’s not he’s trained.  It’s plusaed up textbook margin doodlings.  If that constitutes art to you, then that’s fine.   But like I said, I think there has to be some distinguishing conceptual, technical, or aesthetic layer to make something art.   Or to put it another way, something special in terms of intent, execution, skill, meaning.   Drawing a picture of a skull with fire coming from its eyes isn’t that.  It may look cool, but it’s surface level as fuck

mattchew

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 358
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #79 on: June 12, 2021, 10:07:30 AM »

Ok - maybe I didn’t refer to Gigliotti’s thing correctly, but it’s not he’s trained.  It’s plusaed up textbook margin doodlings.  If that constitutes art to you, then that’s fine.   But like I said, I think there has to be some distinguishing conceptual, technical, or aesthetic layer to make something art.   Or to put it another way, something special in terms of intent, execution, skill, meaning.   Drawing a picture of a skull with fire coming from its eyes isn’t that.  It may look cool, but it’s surface level as fuck

I’m not feeling this at all. If you make art, good or bad, you’re an artist; much like if you skate, good or bad, you’re a skateboarder. Quality doesn’t have anything to do with the title, it’s just a loaded term because everyone’s an artist now, and while a lot of artists art fuckin blows, it doesn’t make them not an artist if that’s how they or others identify them.
P R E P A R E  T O  T I M E C O D E

Low standards

« Reply #80 on: June 12, 2021, 10:57:52 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

Definitely a stretch. He'd have to pay me to get a tattoo from him.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #81 on: June 12, 2021, 01:21:40 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I’m not feeling this at all. If you make art, good or bad, you’re an artist; much like if you skate, good or bad, you’re a skateboarder. Quality doesn’t have anything to do with the title, it’s just a loaded term because everyone’s an artist now, and while a lot of artists art fuckin blows, it doesn’t make them not an artist if that’s how they or others identify them.

Would you refer to Bledsoe as a “tattoo artist” or someone who does tattoos.   That’s the original thing.   

Whether someone is skateboarding or not isn’t really up for debate as that act is pretty well defined.   Art is abstract enough that there is plenty of debate whether something is or isn’t art.   If your going by dictionary definitions of it, skill factors in greatly in the determination

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
Re: Corey GWierdlick on Quasi?
« Reply #82 on: June 12, 2021, 01:23:33 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Weird hill to die on

Not a hill to die on.  I think we’re just having a debate/conversation about what is art.   No ones mad or calling each other names.

mattchew

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 358
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #83 on: June 12, 2021, 02:42:06 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Would you refer to Bledsoe as a “tattoo artist” or someone who does tattoos.   That’s the original thing.   

Whether someone is skateboarding or not isn’t really up for debate as that act is pretty well defined.   Art is abstract enough that there is plenty of debate whether something is or isn’t art.   If your going by dictionary definitions of it, skill factors in greatly in the determination

You’re misconstruing what I said though as you’re using skateboarding the verb, whereas I’m talking about skateboarder, the noun. Someone who is engaged in the act of painting, or in this case, making shitty tattoos, is an artist, as they are making art. Again, quality has nothing to do with the title.
P R E P A R E  T O  T I M E C O D E

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #84 on: June 12, 2021, 06:16:47 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

You’re misconstruing what I said though as you’re using skateboarding the verb, whereas I’m talking about skateboarder, the noun. Someone who is engaged in the act of painting, or in this case, making shitty tattoos, is an artist, as they are making art. Again, quality has nothing to do with the title.

Sorry if I’m not understanding you correctly.   But isn’t someone who paints a painter and not necessarily an artist.   I think there’s something that needs to elevate the work for it to be considered art and make someone an artist.  I think there are great artisans who make exceptional works, but i don’t think every creative expression is art.   I know art is very subjective and I have a narrower definition

Trashcon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 111
« Reply #85 on: June 12, 2021, 11:22:35 PM »
Probably not but Corey rips and he deserves to be on a board brand that backs him financially.

Lou Strux

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2191
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #86 on: June 13, 2021, 12:41:05 AM »
Am I alone in thinking this Glick fella bears a striking resemblance to Phil Lynott?
There.
I’ve said it.
Whatever… Dude skates hella good.

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?