Author Topic: How/why did you move abroad?  (Read 1918 times)

notmikerusczyk

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 280
How/why did you move abroad?
« on: June 03, 2021, 11:42:13 AM »
Just curious. Would love to hear people's stories regarding living outside of their home country, as well as what their home country is. I live in the US and would love to experience living in some different countries within my lifetime.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2021, 12:12:46 PM by notmikerusczyk »

notmikerusczyk

• SLAP Pal
Re: How/why did you move abroad?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2021, 12:16:05 PM »
I lived in Tokyo for 1 year a long time ago. a friend was a visiting professor at a university and got me a contract job doing some stuff for him

my sister married a guy from australia and moved to the suburbs of Melbourne.  I visited her for two 3 month period and took care of her kids and traveled around. this maybe doesn't count as a "move" 

I got an freelancer visa to live in Berlin in 2015 and 2016. A friend of mine did it first and explained the process. furthermore at the time I also had a relative in the Air Force at Ramstein. so I was able to spend some time in the countryside west Germany, as well as travel by car to Luxembourg, Bern, Strasbourg and then 1 month in Paris two different times.

in 2019 I was in the process of setting up an office of my business to NL under the DAFT treaty. A friend of mine relocated his whole business there under that treaty in 2014 and had a lot of good advice. However then 2020 happened. I'm not sure it will ever get sorted out.  Even though we're vaccinated I don't think the dutch are in any rush to let Americans back in
Thanks for sharing! How was Tokyo? Was it pretty english friendly/was the cost of living as high as people make it out to be?

TheLurper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 647
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2021, 12:31:11 PM »
Bailed and moved up to Canada. Over American politics and I'm not certain of its future.

The weather is terrible, but the freedom to do any job and always be able to go to the doctor is amazing. Also, fucking hell BC is beautiful. Tons of tech-bros, but the Vancouver area is amazing. 

The biggest issues I've run into are collecting days and housing costs: I want to travel and explore, but I need to collect days here in order to get my passport. Also, outside of MTL or the eastern provinces, housing is fucking crazy.

Quote from: ChuckRamone
I love when people bring up world hunger. It makes everything meaningless.
"That guy is double parked."
"Who cares? There are people starving to death! Besides, how does that affect you? Does it lessen the joy of parking?

birdplops

• Rep: 25
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2021, 01:40:08 PM »
I'm from the UK and lived in Canberra, Australia for a few years. I was an expert in the lab technique de jour and so left it up to my girlfriend to pick the country I'd focus my job applications at.

Turns out it was very difficult for her to get work and it out a lot of strain on our relationship. I had a fab time out there though- I was earning a ton and loved the lifestyle, flora and fauna.

In the end, I was offered a job back in the UK only a few weeks after my father passed away, so we moved back to be closer to our families. That job was a real turkey, but I've ended up in a city and job that I truly, truly love and wouldn't have gotten here without going through all that. No regerts.

Alan

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2593
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2021, 03:08:17 PM »
but I've ended up in a city ... that I truly, truly love

I don't want to pry, but which city did you move to? Bristol?
Hosin' out the cab of his pickup truck
He's got his 8-track playin' really fuckin' loud

birdplops

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2021, 03:32:54 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Edinburgh <3

TheBoognish

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 129
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2021, 04:00:56 PM »
I spent all of 2010 living and moving around in Australia. I had just finished college and had to get the fuck out of my city for a while and just live. I had about 6000$ in my account when I left, the goal being to stretch it out as much as possible before I needed work and to enjoy myaelf to the max.

I’m Canadian, so the whole Working Holiday Visa thing may have been easier for me, being part of the Commonwealth and everything. I applied for a Visa on the Australian government’s website, said it could take up to a week, Visa was ready when I woke up the following day. I don’t even remember if it cost me anything, if it did, it wasn’t expensive, under 100$ for sure.

Finding work was a bit of a bitch. Few jobs here and there, nothing full time. The local shop paid me in gear for a while, which I would end up selling. It was a good hustle while it lasted. I also worked in produce at a grocery store, I stole so much food from that store, holy shit. Bussed tables at a few bars also.

The skating was so good, I was skating every single day and was probably the best skating I’ve ever done. The local scene was pretty tight and I got to meet some awesome people. Good hiking and that’s where I fell in love with fly fishing. Lots of girls too, so that was nice for a 21 year old being on his own for the first time. To the surprise of no one, the party scene was nuts, Australians are fucking insane when it comes to partying.

The experience was awesome, and was exactly what I needed, but by the end I was pretty broke and missed my friends and family back home, I also found the heat to be a bit much for my Canadian ass, so I ended up leaving almost a year to the day.

11 years later I still ask myself if leaving was the right decision or if I should have stayed.

TheLurper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 647
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2021, 11:51:11 PM »
I spent all of 2010 living and moving around in Australia. I had just finished college and had to get the fuck out of my city for a while and just live. I had about 6000$ in my account when I left, the goal being to stretch it out as much as possible before I needed work and to enjoy myaelf to the max.

I’m Canadian, so the whole Working Holiday Visa thing may have been easier for me, being part of the Commonwealth and everything. I applied for a Visa on the Australian government’s website, said it could take up to a week, Visa was ready when I woke up the following day. I don’t even remember if it cost me anything, if it did, it wasn’t expensive, under 100$ for sure.

Finding work was a bit of a bitch. Few jobs here and there, nothing full time. The local shop paid me in gear for a while, which I would end up selling. It was a good hustle while it lasted. I also worked in produce at a grocery store, I stole so much food from that store, holy shit. Bussed tables at a few bars also.

The skating was so good, I was skating every single day and was probably the best skating I’ve ever done. The local scene was pretty tight and I got to meet some awesome people. Good hiking and that’s where I fell in love with fly fishing. Lots of girls too, so that was nice for a 21 year old being on his own for the first time. To the surprise of no one, the party scene was nuts, Australians are fucking insane when it comes to partying.

The experience was awesome, and was exactly what I needed, but by the end I was pretty broke and missed my friends and family back home, I also found the heat to be a bit much for my Canadian ass, so I ended up leaving almost a year to the day.

11 years later I still ask myself if leaving was the right decision or if I should have stayed.

Sounds like a great trip.

And, yeah, working visas are amazing. America really fucks over its youth by not taking part in any work visa exchanges. What an amazing opportunity to be young and being able to travel like that.

Quote from: ChuckRamone
I love when people bring up world hunger. It makes everything meaningless.
"That guy is double parked."
"Who cares? There are people starving to death! Besides, how does that affect you? Does it lessen the joy of parking?

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2021, 05:00:53 AM »
I've lived abroad in the eu cause I've got a membership cause of a blood relative.  'Fuck it' was why i went to live there.  I'm gonna head back there for sure sometime. 
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"

matty_c

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 459
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2021, 04:07:54 PM »
Yeah sounds like you had a good time Lurper

I never did any of that and I regret it a little bit I reckon just going places as a tourist is way different to living there for a little while
listen to cosmic psychos

h00man

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 123
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2021, 06:33:49 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I lived in Tokyo for 1 year a long time ago. a friend was a visiting professor at a university and got me a contract job doing some stuff for him

my sister married a guy from australia and moved to the suburbs of Melbourne.  I visited her for two 3 month period and took care of her kids and traveled around. this maybe doesn't count as a "move" 

I got an freelancer visa to live in Berlin in 2015 and 2016. A friend of mine did it first and explained the process. furthermore at the time I also had a relative in the Air Force at Ramstein. so I was able to spend some time in the countryside west Germany, as well as travel by car to Luxembourg, Bern, Strasbourg and then 1 month in Paris two different times.

in 2019 I was in the process of setting up an office of my business to NL under the DAFT treaty. A friend of mine relocated his whole business there under that treaty in 2014 and had a lot of good advice. However then 2020 happened. I'm not sure it will ever get sorted out.  Even though we're vaccinated I don't think the dutch are in any rush to let Americans back in
[close]
Thanks for sharing! How was Tokyo? Was it pretty english friendly/was the cost of living as high as people make it out to be?
[close]

Tokyo can actually be done much cheaper than almost any other big world city , even a lot of 2nd tier American cities. but a lot of Americans go there and just drink at roppongi , eat burger and pizza which are obscenely expensive, and frequent Japanese places that only exist to gouge dumb tourists.  I wouldn't say its English friendly but its pretty easy to get by not knowing any Japanese. the only hard part in that regard is figuring out the train network and buying the right tickets. Tokyo is great but I didn't really need to be there for a whole year and I should spent more time traveling to see other parts of Japan.  Also from a skate perspective Tokyo isn't that great or even good

I wish I got to live in Japan for a bit. Always to visit, but never stay longer than a month. Wish getting a job (besides teaching English) was easier up there.
she can ride dick ham ham no joke ham

Mouth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -297
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2021, 07:57:30 PM »
Left Edinburgh at 4 due to my dads job moving around. Lived in Houston, Jakarta and Singapore, before returning to Edinburgh at 20. Left again a few months later, to start a new job  back in Singapore, before moving to Hong Kong, Kuala Lumpur and now back in Singapore. I basically move around for work, either for my wife’s career or my own. Next move will most likely be for hers, either to Switzerland or back to Edinburgh.

After 40 years of being an expat, It would be nice to eventually put down roots somewhere,
'No Mouth, you have a negative rep because you are a fan of growing your wealth off of the backs of low paid workers and brag about having bodyguards. You literally kook people for doing charity in South East Asia. Don't deny it.'

sometimeperhaps

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 142
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2021, 05:20:21 AM »
Bailed and moved up to Canada. Over American politics and I'm not certain of its future.

The weather is terrible, but the freedom to do any job and always be able to go to the doctor is amazing. Also, fucking hell BC is beautiful. Tons of tech-bros, but the Vancouver area is amazing. 

The biggest issues I've run into are collecting days and housing costs: I want to travel and explore, but I need to collect days here in order to get my passport. Also, outside of MTL or the eastern provinces, housing is fucking crazy.

Welcome.

The weather can be annoying depending on where you came from, and where in Canada you end up since there are some differences. But the fact that we have four seasons makes you appreciate the nice days when they finally show up.

Housing is pretty terrible though, and I'm not sure what it would take to get back to reality. But aside from that I'd say the pro's outweigh the con's.

BC is pretty amazing though, especially if you like nature and being outside. Usually a good view in all directions.

Alan

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2593
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2021, 11:06:14 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Edinburgh <3

Ah, nice. Yeah, Edinburgh looks sick.
Hosin' out the cab of his pickup truck
He's got his 8-track playin' really fuckin' loud

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2021, 12:31:46 PM »
I lived in Asia too that place is mellow af -highly recomend.
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"

Frank and Fred

« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2021, 06:05:58 PM »
From Wales but spent about 8 years in the Middle East as teen b/c of my Dad's job and moved to the US 20 years ago b/c I married a yank. Still feel like a foreigner here but there again I feel like a foreigner whenever I go home also. Not sure where we will end up but the Pacific Northwest still mostly suits me. I am getting over city life though. The only good thing about it is skateboarding... which is a big factor.

I wouldn't mind ending up on some coastal stretch of Wales, Ireland, or even the West Country of England...

LordManHammer

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -324
  • (0_o) whatever dog you probably suck at it
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2021, 08:53:51 PM »
Lived in the south for a good part of my early years 0-19 I was definitely overwhelmed by religious zealots beliefs and rednecks picking on me, I came back here after a 15 year hiatus now everyone wants to be me piercings punkish etc.....

After 4-5 suicide attempts I got baker acted in a mental hospital they fucked my right nerve up when restraining me for a largactyl shot which Americans call Thorazine to sedate me, I got to sue the hospital and let’s just say this I’ve lived a modestly good life on a shoe string budget to pay myself $1200 each month.

I’m rambling on after I got broke off with some money my plan wasn’t to comeback to the states but turns out Prague had an issue with my out of date passport and I was in Europe for 4+ years being a goober and banging a bunch of sluts. Maybe I got some kid’s who knows? 🤨

I absconded from the states as I thought it was like the south all over, but do to my narrow experience it’s not like that at all sure  most places suck ass buttttttt it’s your options that make it suck you manifest it or believe it true than it becomes true and self defeating prophecy.
Dueces Bitch's

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2021, 09:08:18 PM »
working holiday to Japan when I was 20 that ended up turning into me coming back as part of my degree and then again for a full-time job once I had graduated. I was already studying the language when in high school which is what piqued my initial interest! I’ve been here for 12 years this time round and doesn’t look like I’ll be leaving anytime soon!
« Last Edit: June 07, 2021, 02:03:42 AM by Gay Imp Sausage Metal »

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

Jean-Ralphio Zaperstein

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 660
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2021, 08:42:32 AM »
working holiday to Japan when I was 20 that ended up turning into me coming back as part of my degree and then again for a full-time job once I had graduated. I was already studying the language when in high school which is what piqued my initial interest! I’ve been here for 12 years this time round and doesn’t look like I’ll be leaving anytime soon!

How did it go at first in terms of social life ? I did a 4 month long internship in Osaka a few years ago, and even tho I linked with some guys thanks to a local shop, I felt a bit lonely and homesick near the end. Now I'm contemplating applying for postdocs over there but still undecided
« Last Edit: June 07, 2021, 10:20:17 AM by Jean-Ralphio Zaperstein »

The Drew

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 283
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2021, 10:33:39 PM »
Originally from Australia
I came to japan on a whim in 2007... got working holiday visa and did the whole teaching English thing for a few years before i got a regularish job...

Married, kids mortgage so i don't think leaving is an option.

notmikerusczyk

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2021, 10:48:10 PM »
I came to japan on a whim in 2007... got working holiday visa and did the whole teaching English thing for a few years before i got a regularish job...

damn you friends with gism?

The Drew

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 283
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2021, 11:04:48 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I have never met up with @Gay Imp Sausage Metal ... he lives on a different Island... but if i ever go down his way, i will hit him up for some Onsen advice
I know some other J-PALS (who have long since focused or quit the boards though)

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2021, 04:57:24 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

I have never met up with @Gay Imp Sausage Metal ... he lives on a different Island... but if i ever go down his way, i will hit him up for some Onsen advice
I know some other J-PALS (who have long since focused or quit the boards though)
if we ever meet up, there’ll be trouble! Well as much trouble as two middle aged dads can get into in rural Japan...

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2021, 04:59:43 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

How did it go at first in terms of social life ? I did a 4 month long internship in Osaka a few years ago, and even tho I linked with some guys thanks to a local shop, I felt a bit lonely and homesick near the end. Now I'm contemplating applying for postdocs over there but still undecided
well I’ve loved here for over half my life these days and I always spoke the language to some degree. Homesickness (and more importantly culture shock in all it’s different layers) always hit you at various stages of living overseas. If I’m honest it’s a lot harder to make new friends now that I’m in my 40s. When I was single I could just go out for a few drinks and meet people faintly easily ...

GauchoAmigo

• Rep: 66
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2021, 07:20:13 PM »
From Toronto, grew up in southern California, been back in Toronto for 10 years. Am a dual-citizen between Canada and USA. Love it here in Toronto but considering moving to NY because of job opportunity. Nervous about giving up socialized health care though...

Lloyd Braun

• Rep: 80
« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2021, 06:48:29 PM »
From Toronto, grew up in southern California, been back in Toronto for 10 years. Am a dual-citizen between Canada and USA. Love it here in Toronto but considering moving to NY because of job opportunity. Nervous about giving up socialized health care though...

That’s one of the biggest downfalls of the us, but if your new job has insurance you’ll be fine. Also if something extreme were to happen NYC Is close enough to make the trip to Canada. I had a Canadian friend that broke his wrist or ankle (can’t remember) and he flew back to Canada to sort it.

AppleNick

• Rep: 19
« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2021, 01:20:28 AM »
I'm an American and moved to Barcelona 2 months ago. I'm in Europe as a PhD student hiding out from the COVID-wrecked job market, and I was lucky enough to get an offer in Barcelona.

I graduated with an MSc in Math/CS last Spring. I spent 4-5 months applying to jobs all day every day and rarely ever even getting a call back, and never getting past the first interview round anywhere. Thanks to COVID everyone got fired and was looking for a new job, so I was competing with more experienced applicants everywhere. I was working as a research assistant on a professor's contract so I wasn't eligible for unemployment, and didn't have very much saved from the years prior.

My friend that I graduated with went to Paris to start a PhD, and he told me to look at PhD studentships in Europe. I didn't want to go back to do a PhD in America because the system is set up for people to start after getting their Bachelors, so unless I went back to my old department (which I didn't want to do) it would mean doing a lot of coursework over again to meet requirements, not to mention qualifying exams and probably having to work as a teaching assistant. In Europe, the PhD positions by in large assume you have a MSc, don't have qualifying exams or classes. It's just a full-time job where you do research. Also, you can be hired any time of the year here, where in America you generally have to apply in December to start in September.

So I went to look for PhD positions in Europe on projects where I had relevant training. The ones I applied for were in Stockholm, Exeter, Amsterdam, Brussels, Munich, and Barcelona. The Barcelona one was my second interview, and at this point I assumed there was no way I'd be so lucky.

They sent me an offer a week later that I accepted immediately. Getting all the stuff done for immigration during COVID and moving here took 4-5 months & I had to take out loans to get here. I have to pay those back before the interest gets going.

I don't speak much Spanish and zero Catalan but have roommates that speak English, and the job only requires English. At least I can blunder my way through at stores and restaurants. A lot of the stores and restaurants in my area are run by immigrants from Pakistan who speak English.

Also it's not a bad city for skating.

birdplops

« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2021, 02:15:41 AM »
I'm an American and moved to Barcelona 2 months ago. I'm in Europe as a PhD student hiding out from the COVID-wrecked job market, and I was lucky enough to get an offer in Barcelona.

I graduated with an MSc in Math/CS last Spring. I spent 4-5 months applying to jobs all day every day and rarely ever even getting a call back, and never getting past the first interview round anywhere. Thanks to COVID everyone got fired and was looking for a new job, so I was competing with more experienced applicants everywhere. I was working as a research assistant on a professor's contract so I wasn't eligible for unemployment, and didn't have very much saved from the years prior.

My friend that I graduated with went to Paris to start a PhD, and he told me to look at PhD studentships in Europe. I didn't want to go back to do a PhD in America because the system is set up for people to start after getting their Bachelors, so unless I went back to my old department (which I didn't want to do) it would mean doing a lot of coursework over again to meet requirements, not to mention qualifying exams and probably having to work as a teaching assistant. In Europe, the PhD positions by in large assume you have a MSc, don't have qualifying exams or classes. It's just a full-time job where you do research. Also, you can be hired any time of the year here, where in America you generally have to apply in December to start in September.

So I went to look for PhD positions in Europe on projects where I had relevant training. The ones I applied for were in Stockholm, Exeter, Amsterdam, Brussels, Munich, and Barcelona. The Barcelona one was my second interview, and at this point I assumed there was no way I'd be so lucky.

They sent me an offer a week later that I accepted immediately. Getting all the stuff done for immigration during COVID and moving here took 4-5 months & I had to take out loans to get here. I have to pay those back before the interest gets going.

I don't speak much Spanish and zero Catalan but have roommates that speak English, and the job only requires English. At least I can blunder my way through at stores and restaurants. A lot of the stores and restaurants in my area are run by immigrants from Pakistan who speak English.

Also it's not a bad city for skating.

Mathematicians are cleaning up in academia- you've got to be a clever cookie as those are some great unis in beautiful cities (Exeter, meh). Barcelona is going to be a blast.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 651
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
« Reply #28 on: June 17, 2021, 12:14:37 PM »
I am from a small town in Ontario Canada but I moved to Germany in 2012-2013.  i miss it a lot. kind of wish i never moved back.

my wife got a job teaching there so i just went with her. we werent married at the time  - we had only known eachother like 3-4 months. it was for sure a great decision though becuase i was REALLY piling out up until that point. was good to take a break from weed.

i got a job there being an intern for this company that develops iOS apps. i was playing street fighter 4 a ridiculous amount of that couple of years... when I came back to Canada i worked at this BRUTAL job for a year. it fucken sucked. but eventually i landed a job being a tester @ a video game company 1 hour away. i would have never got this job if i didnt move to germany i tihnk. they really liked i had the international experience for whatever reason, and also that i was getting up in street fighter. this led me to get an even better job... but now i feel like im stuck in canada again especially since we just bought a house last year.

enjoy it while you can peeps :)
ONTARIO CANADA