Author Topic: Ricky Oyola EE3  (Read 753 times)

gabbesucks

Ricky Oyola EE3
« on: September 01, 2021, 08:08:25 AM »
Anyone know what size board(s) Ricky was skating in his EE3 part?

FrozenIndustries

Re: Ricky Oyola EE3
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2021, 08:40:30 AM »

IIRC in the "lost" episode of the Tim O podcast he said he was mainly skating 7.75" but with big 60mm wheels.

gabbesucks

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2021, 09:21:21 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

IIRC in the "lost" episode of the Tim O podcast he said he was mainly skating 7.75" but with big 60mm wheels.

God damn that’s tiny

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1035
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2021, 09:26:02 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

God damn that’s tiny

The concave was nuts though.

I had 3-4 Zoo York’s at the time and they had super round nose/tail and the concave really hugged your foot. The wood warped at some shops but they road bigger than their size.

I recall an 8.125” but I am not certain.

My friends and I had an Oyola and and Bici model. The Bici if memory serves was 7.75” but after EE3 came out Ricky had at least a 8.125”.

gabbesucks

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2021, 11:25:12 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

God damn that’s tiny
[close]

I had 3-4 Zoo York’s at the time and they had super round nose/tail and the concave really hugged your foot. The wood warped at some shops but they road bigger than their size.

My friends and I had an Oyola and and Bici model. The Bici if memory serves was 7.75” but after EE3 came out Ricky had at least a 8.125”.

Thanks for the info, super into the Matt, Ricky, Fred trio right now so love learning more shit about them

GardenSkater77

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2021, 12:01:06 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

God damn that’s tiny
[close]

[close]

Thanks for the info, super into the Matt, Ricky, Fred trio right now so love learning more shit about them

The trio was Matt, Ricky, Serge. I’m sure Fred was with them a lot, but the ‘trio’ as Ricky saw it was him, Matt and Serge. I started going to Philly in 94’ and went bi-weekly until 98’ ish. I split my weekends between Philly and NYC. This was typical of someone growing up in NJ.

You didn’t see those guys much cause they were always passing through. I saw Ricky and Serge more than I saw Matt. Only saw Matt once and he definitely had a bigger setup than anyone. I think his wheels were also softer than 99a because they made a different sound riding through LOVE.

gabbesucks

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2021, 12:16:35 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

God damn that’s tiny
[close]

[close]

[close]

The trio was Matt, Ricky, Serge. I’m sure Fred was with them a lot, but the ‘trio’ as Ricky saw it was him, Matt and Serge. I started going to Philly in 94’ and went bi-weekly until 98’ ish. I split my weekends between Philly and NYC. This was typical of someone growing up in NJ.

You didn’t see those guys much cause they were always passing through. I saw Ricky and Serge more than I saw Matt. Only saw Matt once and he definitely had a bigger setup than anyone. I think his wheels were also softer than 99a because they made a different sound riding through LOVE.

Wow so you have like firsthand experience thanks for the insight, if you have more interesting stuff about that crew lmk haha

finecojeffe

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 126
    • Fine-Co avatar image
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2021, 12:40:12 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

God damn that’s tiny
[close]

[close]

[close]

I remember Matt Reasons boards being bigger as well. They seemed way long too, but maybe my memory is clouded on that part a little. Definitely saw him often enough at city hall, not as much love since I spent way more time at the former.

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2021, 12:48:58 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

God damn that’s tiny
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
I remember Matt Reasons boards being bigger as well. They seemed way long too, but maybe my memory is clouded on that part a little. Definitely saw him often enough at city hall, not as much love since I spent way more time at the former.

re: the length...in a couple of interviews, Freddy talks about how he was super into skating an extra long board, like 34"or something wild, and that AWS would send him that custom shape. If I recall, I want to say it was something him and Reason got into while tripping on acid so it would make sense that he might have ridden a similar shape. Especially since around that time Freddy used Matts board for the gap to rail at love in his Timecode part.

Here is a pic of Freddy riding one:

Also, from the big wheels appreesh thread:

8.5 and 58s!

it's larger if you right click and open in a new tab

gabbesucks

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2021, 12:51:09 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

God damn that’s tiny
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

re: the length...in a couple of interviews, Freddy talks about how he was super into skating an extra long board, like 34"or something wild, and that AWS would send him that custom shape. If I recall, I want to say it was something him and Reason got into while tripping on acid so it would make sense that he might have ridden a similar shape. Especially since around that time Freddy used Matts board for the gap to rail at love in his Timecode part.

Expand Quote
8.5 and 58s!

[close]

Awesome

GardenSkater77

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2021, 02:18:10 PM »
I got 3 Ricky stories and I’ll tell them in order.

94’—First time at Love was move in day at college and there were 30-40 people there. Ricky kicked everyone out cause he didn’t want the spot blown up.

95’—A skate shop in New Hope, PA open called Adrenaline. Ricky was friends with the owner and held an open tryout for the team. My friends and I showed up 7 deep in two cars. Picked Ricky up. One group smoked him out. My group went to the spot and skated. 20 minutes later the Ricky group rolled up. Ricky didn’t have a board so he borrowed ours one at a time and ripped with all his standard tricks. No one made the team but Ricky was cool with us from then on.

96’—Ricky comes blazing through LOVE and ollies over a woman sitting on the top ledge of the three set, three set, three set. So basically he Ollied over a woman’s torso and head and just kept going going about 10-15 miles per hour up Ben Franklin parkway and off into the distance.

Bristol_Palin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 496
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2021, 04:49:04 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

God damn that’s tiny
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

Expand Quote
8.5 and 58s!

[close]
[close]

Awesome

This is sick I’ve been rocking 8.5 with 58 mm for a while lately with several sets on ice and hearing that was Matt’s set up is sick. Matt Reason is one of my all time favorites and his skating influenced my trick selection

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2021, 06:46:52 PM »
Some of those Zoo York tag boards that that whole crew rocked came out in 8.25 after EE3 dropped! I think I had an 8 with 54mm wheels and thought it was such a tank. Mentioned in the other thread too but I actually owned and skated Matt’s 63mm physics wheel

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2021, 02:53:21 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

God damn that’s tiny
[close]

[close]

[close]

@GardenSkater77 I've been sort of obsessing over this and wondering how soft his wheels were. I don't remember a lot of different duros being available then (I was also a kid and didn't care) and I sometimes wonder if those guys were skating some weird deadstock 80s wheels or something.

GardenSkater77

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2021, 03:25:53 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

God damn that’s tiny
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

@GardenSkater77 I've been sort of obsessing over this and wondering how soft his wheels were. I don't remember a lot of different duros being available then (I was also a kid and didn't care) and I sometimes wonder if those guys were skating some weird deadstock 80s wheels or something.

I had a pair of 95a Spitfires in 95ish. One of my friends bought them cause he needed wheels and the shop he skated for only had one set. Road them once and gave them to me. I road them once and threw them out cause they bounced when you set the board down or missed a trick. They were white wheels by the way and Matt may have got the same in his box cause he was full DLX at the time. Maybe an early version of the Soft Ds???

Any Spitfire historians around?