Author Topic: Beef Jerky Renegades  (Read 1022 times)

pugmaster

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1536
  • Overweight and Underprepared
Beef Jerky Renegades
« on: June 07, 2021, 10:57:14 PM »
This thread is dedicated to those beef jerky renegades that are making beef jerky at home, completely of the grid.  What is your setup? What are your recipes? What dehydrators should I not buy from amazon? I am trying to buy the Mighty Ducks trilogy from amazon and want free shipping.  Thank you.
"...We got the nuclear worm over here..."

Never forget:
Rusty_Berrings, 360 frip, Yapple Dapple, Bubblegum Tate

Coastal Fever

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 495
Re: Beef Jerky Renegades
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2021, 03:30:06 AM »
Just have one of those cheaper Salton round 4 rack ones.  Works pretty good but you have to rotate the trays a few times so it cooks evenly.  Like everything I cook, I follow no recipe, wing it every time.  Obviously soy sauce and liquid smoke are staples, but I usually experiment with other sauces/spices.  Marinate in the fridge 12-24hrs.  Try to buy the leanest roast possible, cut it up into quarters or manageable sized pieces, and freeze them for half an hour or so to make them easier to cut.  A sharp knife is very important.  By the time I’ve finished eating the batch my teeth hurt though and then I don’t make more for awhile.

JB

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 858
  • Rusty Berrings Roll Forever
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2021, 08:00:00 AM »
Get a smoker if you really want to do it right.

It's very easy, just find a marinade you like. All the directions are going to be similar to this.

https://www.traegergrills.com/recipes/peppered-beef-jerky

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1475
  • Illusion Flip
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2021, 08:09:59 AM »
First off, great topic idea. I've always loved the idea of making the manliest of meat snacks DIY. I have a smoker and a dehydrator but could never figure out how to use the two to make this properly.

Just have one of those cheaper Salton round 4 rack ones.  Works pretty good but you have to rotate the trays a few times so it cooks evenly.  Like everything I cook, I follow no recipe, wing it every time.  Obviously soy sauce and liquid smoke are staples, but I usually experiment with other sauces/spices.  Marinate in the fridge 12-24hrs.  Try to buy the leanest roast possible, cut it up into quarters or manageable sized pieces, and freeze them for half an hour or so to make them easier to cut.  A sharp knife is very important.  By the time I’ve finished eating the batch my teeth hurt though and then I don’t make more for awhile.

You live dangerously with no net. How is your poop after eating copious amounts of this stuff, too? Don't forget to include the most important part.

straight

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 979
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2021, 09:09:00 AM »
dammmnnn i love this thread .. ive never made my own but im a jerky boy .. we have this real good local butcher shop that has theee best jerky .. teach me your ways boys
What kind of mikey taylor logic is this?

coldbrew

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 399
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2021, 10:00:48 AM »
I've never made my own but have been wanting to try for quite some time now. I fucking love jerky and it's supposed to rain most of the week on top of being ridiculously hot so maybe that'll be my indoor project since you've inspired me.

YungJugg

• Rep: 225
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2021, 10:02:41 AM »
I’m just a consumer, but the homies’ Venison jerky fucks.

shucknjive

• Rep: -39
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2021, 10:54:35 AM »
mArLeY

shpongle

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 200
  • love everyOne and tell the truth
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2021, 11:07:12 AM »

tastiness without the cruelty <3 so good try it. even non vegans fw it

JB

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2021, 11:32:34 AM »
I'll make some this weekend and show you guys how easy it is. First try.

straight

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 979
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2021, 01:32:10 PM »

hell ya gonna try this one
What kind of mikey taylor logic is this?

notmikerusczyk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 280
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2021, 01:48:49 PM »

would gnar

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Illusion Flip
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2021, 04:24:06 PM »
I wanted to add that I recently learned about the snake method for those with charcoal grills who want to smoke meat. There are videos on youtube of course.

https://www.popularmechanics.com/home/how-to/a21051/grill-snake-method/

Joe Davola

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 59
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2021, 05:12:31 AM »

Ordered some. This stuff is legit. Only downside is that my dogs are convinced I am stealing their treats.

beandemon

• Rep: 180
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2021, 10:59:06 AM »

There’s no such thing. Come to the ABYSS!

JB

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2021, 07:39:33 PM »
We're marinating. Get hyped.

JB

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2021, 08:50:14 AM »

Here's all the ingredients I used. You can use a flank steak, that will give you more the traditional strips of jerky. I went with this round cut because that was all they had at the store. For the marinade, just find a recipe and mix it together. I roughly went off of this https://www.traegergrills.com/recipes/spicy-chili-beef-jerky , but just eyeballed pretty much everything. I've never used a tenderizer before, and probably would've chosen any other brand, but Adolph's was the only one they had. I only used half of what it called for and it worked fine. You can probably just use salt and sugar too. I added black pepper and a bit of hot sauce too.

I like to mix it all in a bowl, but you can go straight into a bag if you're confident you're not going to spill it everywhere. You really don't need a ton, just enough to cover it in the bag.

Cut ALL the fat off the outside of your meat. Fat will go rancid and ruin your jerky. This cut had a lot of browner meat that was near the fat, I trimmed a lot of that off too. Cut the fat off, then slice it however thick or thin you want. I aim for about 1/4 inch think.

Put everything in a bag, mix it up, and let it sit in the fridge overnight.

Forgot to take photos of the next part, but all you have to do is take it out of the marinade and dry it off with paper towel before you put it on the grill. Then space it out so nothing is touching. If you've got a traeger grill, use the smoke setting. I think otherwise you want it at like 150-180F. Put it on, come back in a few hours and check it. Takes about 3-5 hours.

Finished. Let it cool for a bit, then enjoy. My family crushed most of it that night.

Here's a photo of some other jerky I made with a flank steak.

Its very easy, and you can do it with cheap cuts, no need to spend lots of money. If I can do it, anyone can.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2021, 09:08:15 AM by JB »

coldbrew

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2021, 08:54:27 AM »
@JB that looks amazing, nice job!

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Illusion Flip
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2021, 09:20:26 AM »
Thanks for making that look super easy. I'm going to have to take a wack at it at some point this summer.

JB

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2021, 10:21:12 AM »
Thanks for making that look super easy. I'm going to have to take a wack at it at some point this summer.

Go for it! I've got to make another batch tonight because my 10-year-old is a fiend.

I've made it in a dehydrator before too, and that works fine. Once I got the traeger, I sold my dehydrator in a garage sale because I think the smoker has better flavor.

coldbrew

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2021, 03:56:12 PM »
Alright, you guys inspired me. Got everything prepped and marinated and I’ll report back tomorrow after it’s all done and with pictures.

pugmaster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2021, 05:57:20 PM »

Here's all the ingredients I used. You can use a flank steak, that will give you more the traditional strips of jerky. I went with this round cut because that was all they had at the store. For the marinade, just find a recipe and mix it together. I roughly went off of this https://www.traegergrills.com/recipes/spicy-chili-beef-jerky , but just eyeballed pretty much everything. I've never used a tenderizer before, and probably would've chosen any other brand, but Adolph's was the only one they had. I only used half of what it called for and it worked fine. You can probably just use salt and sugar too. I added black pepper and a bit of hot sauce too.

I like to mix it all in a bowl, but you can go straight into a bag if you're confident you're not going to spill it everywhere. You really don't need a ton, just enough to cover it in the bag.

Cut ALL the fat off the outside of your meat. Fat will go rancid and ruin your jerky. This cut had a lot of browner meat that was near the fat, I trimmed a lot of that off too. Cut the fat off, then slice it however thick or thin you want. I aim for about 1/4 inch think.

Put everything in a bag, mix it up, and let it sit in the fridge overnight.

Forgot to take photos of the next part, but all you have to do is take it out of the marinade and dry it off with paper towel before you put it on the grill. Then space it out so nothing is touching. If you've got a traeger grill, use the smoke setting. I think otherwise you want it at like 150-180F. Put it on, come back in a few hours and check it. Takes about 3-5 hours.

Finished. Let it cool for a bit, then enjoy. My family crushed most of it that night.

Here's a photo of some other jerky I made with a flank steak.

Its very easy, and you can do it with cheap cuts, no need to spend lots of money. If I can do it, anyone can.

That's what I am talking about!

Never forget:

JB

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2021, 12:09:31 PM »
Thanks @pugmaster for the thread. I haven't made jerky in a few years. Round 2 was even better than the first! A bit spicier this time. Went with minced jalapenos instead of the green chili sauce and put in some red pepper flakes too.

Some of the pieces near the edges were done, but most pieces with the dark red color stayed on for about another hour. About 3.5-4 hours has been my time for these two batches.

coldbrew

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2021, 01:19:57 PM »
did my first attempt in the dehydrator and I'm pleasantly surprised with how good it turned out. definitely have some adjustments to make and what not but it was a fun little project and thanks all for the inspiration to give it a try.

pugmaster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2021, 02:13:29 PM »
Looks so good... I am going to have to get a dehydrator since it is the only option give my living situation. 

I bought the variety pack of the vegan Louisville jerky and it arrived today.  I tried the buffalo dill version.  Normally, jerky is one of those food items where no matter the size of the bag, it is 1 serving size to me.  I took 1 bite of the vegan jerky and it is not good.  The consistency is strange, it is not really dried out at all.  I think I spent 40-50 bucks on them including shipping, so I will probably actually eat it all. It is certainly a fantastic diet food.  I'll let you know if any of the other flavors stand out and are worth purchasing.

@coldbrew
How much meat did you use and what proportions of seasonings did you use and what do you plan to change?
« Last Edit: June 15, 2021, 02:26:16 PM by pugmaster »

Never forget:

coldbrew

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2021, 03:00:00 PM »
@pugmaster thanks I’m pretty stoked on how it came out! This was the mix I used for the rub:

1/4 cup soy sauce
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon paprika
2 teaspoons kosher salt

I used a little over a pound and a half of a lean top round beef cut into about 1/4 inch slices and then let it sit overnight to marinate. Dehydrated at 155 degrees for about 6.5 hours.

Since this was my first time I followed the directions pretty specifically. Next time I don’t think it needs as much salt because the soy sauce already kinda gives it a lot of that and id like to add a little bit more heat so maybe throw some jalape񯳠in the marinade and some chili / red pepper flakes. But overall I’m really happy with my first attempt!

coldbrew

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2021, 03:04:01 PM »
Also just to add I have one of those ridiculous ninja foodi 9 in 1 air fryer dehydrator instapot combo things. Got it off Amazon for like $160. It doesn’t take up a ton of room and you can do fucking anything and everything in it. I use it at least 2-3 days a week. Lowkey best purchase I’ve made in a long time.

Here’s the link if you’re interested: Ninja FD401 Foodi 8-Quart 9-in-1... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07S85TPLG?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

pugmaster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2021, 05:14:03 PM »
Also just to add I have one of those ridiculous ninja foodi 9 in 1 air fryer dehydrator instapot combo things. Got it off Amazon for like $160. It doesn’t take up a ton of room and you can do fucking anything and everything in it. I use it at least 2-3 days a week. Lowkey best purchase I’ve made in a long time.

Here’s the link if you’re interested: Ninja FD401 Foodi 8-Quart 9-in-1... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07S85TPLG?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Damn, I didn't know those existed! Thanks

Never forget:

pugmaster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #28 on: July 02, 2021, 07:34:33 PM »
Just bought the ninja!

Has anyone experimented with the shelf time of their jerky when it is stored at room temp vs. when it is stored refrigerated or in the freezer?

Never forget:

Sightunseen

• Rep: 90
« Reply #29 on: July 02, 2021, 10:14:58 PM »

Dope to see these get mentioned. Definitely my guilty pleasure food lately. Shout out to Carolina BBQ and Maple bacon flavors
personally I can only hope to be remembered in a slap post three years after my death, with my name spelled wrong