Author Topic: Good Cheap Gear  (Read 3104 times)

TheCrimsonShroud

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 98
Good Cheap Gear
« on: June 08, 2021, 06:37:15 AM »
We have a bad cheap gear thread, so I figured let's have a counterpoint. I'm the type to try anything, and as much as I've been burned, I've found some good sleeper shit.

Skate Warehouse decks are Clutch and very good, as are their 99a wheels and their bearings. I've been living the wheels especially. More than my slimeballs, which feel sort of dry and clunky comparatively.

Jean-Ralphio Zaperstein

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 667
Re: Good Cheap Gear
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2021, 06:40:27 AM »
Mini logo bearings deserve a spot at the top of this thread

TheCrimsonShroud

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2021, 06:42:35 AM »
I've been meaning to try them. I got some 90a 56mm A Cut ML wheels for cruising and I love them.

Paperclip20

• Rep: 135
  • Please send symmetrical board information
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2021, 06:44:09 AM »

Second Mini logo Bearings.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1094
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2021, 08:53:01 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
I've been meaning to try them. I got some 90a 56mm A Cut ML wheels for cruising and I love them.

Indeed. Great cruising wheel, I can skate all around the crusty northwest with them. Honestly regular 99a Mini Logo wheels are a great value, too.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1930
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2021, 08:57:40 AM »
Tactics shop decks are from BBS, $40 with grip is a steal. Graphics are simple but they work for me.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

PAWL

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -70
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2021, 09:02:05 AM »
The independent black bearings I got on deep discount have been great so far
yo mike mo new age ape style high five with my reborn hand.

2008 psychedelic experience. thanks.

TastyBurrito

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 545
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2021, 09:10:51 AM »
No name bolts I got on sale - they do the same thing as $10 Shake Junt bolts at 1/10th the price.

Sila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 337
  • Jamu Gost
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2021, 09:11:10 AM »
Any sale Resin 7 boards (usually Darkstar unfortunately). Just gotta diy the graphic or clean it off. Just got one for $35.

spanyard

• Rep: 77
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2021, 11:28:35 AM »
If you can still find a set (they're out there), SFWs that are not F4 formula are some of the best non-F4s I've ridden lately.  You gotta slide them grooves off though.

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 279
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2021, 11:33:13 AM »
all the mini logo stuff , decks, bearings, wheels and maybe even trucks are the best budget hardgoods out there.

Trucks are quite different than any other brand's offerings.  They are a super low (48mm) truck that actually turns.  They grind quite well.  The downsides are that they have shit kingpin clearance, and I have had a kingpin get a little wobbly.  Overall, they are not only super good for the money but can hold their own against most other trucks IF you can get over the kingpin clearance and know you may have to run a thin riser.   Sizing is 8, 8.38 and 8.75, so no 8.5.  I have only used the 8 and 8.38.

Decks are decent for the price.  Super mellow kicks which I really like on flat. I can skate them in transition, but do prefer something a bit steeper. Once again, quite different offerings than other companies (other than Powell).  I have skated 6 or 7 of their decks over the last couple years.

Bearings are fine for cheap ones. Probably as good as most other $20 ones - I just don't run $20 bearings.   I have been putting these in my kids setup, but am probably switching them to the $14 Zealous next time because the Zealous are super well sealed and I'll never have to clean them.

Wheels are not up to F4 or SPF/STF levels, but what do you want for $20?  I have a set of 55mm A-Cut on a spare setup and they are good enough - but I'll almost always choose a high end wheel. They do flat spot easier than the high end, but are fine on a budget.

I could skate a full Mini Logo setup including tape, hardware and a 1/10th riser and still be happy with my setup. 

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2021, 01:50:07 PM »
The Mini Logo deck I skated was strangely shaped but was probably the best kick and heel flipping deck I’ve skated in a decade. I still didn’t keep it long, though.

sketchyrider

« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2021, 02:35:29 PM »
The Mini Logo deck I skated was strangely shaped but was probably the best kick and heel flipping deck I’ve skated in a decade. I still didn’t keep it long, though.

for sure. weird noses and tails, usually a lot of taper.

logjammin

• Rep: 336
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2021, 02:45:50 PM »
I've been skating socal skate shop clutch blanks for awhile and I kinda love not seeing a graphic on my board now. I'm picky about the stain color though. I wish there were more options for choosing blank deck colors from an online source, if anyone knows a good source lemme know, shalom.

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 279
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2021, 03:36:18 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

for sure. weird noses and tails, usually a lot of taper.

Depends.  Mini Logo / Powell have two shapes on their 8-8.5 popsicles.  They have a tapered nose/tail (shapes 247,248 and 249) and rounded ones (242, 243, 244).   I haven't seen a 247,8 or 9 Mini Logo in a couple years and they are now only making the rounded ones (242,3,4).  Powell is making all the shapes.

But yes, they are the best kick/heel flip decks I have used.   I have been on the lookout for a Powell Flight in a 244 shape for about 5 months and none are available - so I may be picking up a Mini Logo 244.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 36
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2021, 03:46:00 PM »
I vouch for flip HKD bearings, both 5 and 7, they're great.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

TheCrimsonShroud

« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2021, 03:57:35 PM »
I've seen some shade on here thrown at DLX pricepoint decks, but I gotta say I had a pp Krooked deck a couple years ago and it was one of the best shapes I have ever rode. Kickflips on it felt so good and I could get fs no-complys to make that perfect 'shralp' sound with the rotation

That's kinda how I feel about my skate warehouse deck. It's Clutch, most definitely a pp, but just feels great. Some of it is the dims (8.25, 14" wb) but it's just solid all around.

PrettyRicki

• Rep: 10
  • Symmetrical boards <3
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2021, 04:10:22 PM »
Jessup grip tape. It works seriously well and you can get it free a lot of times when you buy a new board. I've never had it peel up or lose grip quick.

TheCrimsonShroud

« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2021, 04:25:43 PM »
NGL I love Skate Warehouse. Never done me wrong
Oh for sure. If I need something "exotic" (mind you, my local is literally the living room of a converted house) then to Skate Warehouse I go.

Jessup grip tape. It works seriously well and you can get it free a lot of times when you buy a new board. I've never had it peel up or lose grip quick.

I don't get the Jessup hate. Maybe I'm a troglodyte but it grips, doesn't tear, and their clear is pretty cool too.

IUTSM

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1392
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2021, 04:26:19 PM »
35th ave shop decks cost 40, are BBS and I'm really into the last one I skated. Liked it more than the orchard gangemi i got on that big orchard sale a while back for 35 bucks. Shop decks all the way. I got a solstice shop deck w jessup and a t shirt for $66 out the door the other day. Can't go wrong

They're not hella cheap but the quantum bearings have been real nice for 30-35 as well.

Well-defined ambiguity, I'm already on somebody's list as a casualty

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2021, 04:43:50 PM »
35th ave shop decks cost 40, are BBS and I'm really into the last one I skated. Liked it more than the orchard gangemi i got on that big orchard sale a while back for 35 bucks. Shop decks all the way. I got a solstice shop deck w jessup and a t shirt for $66 out the door the other day. Can't go wrong

They're not hella cheap but the quantum bearings have been real nice for 30-35 as well.

Some of the best art in the shop deck game. My girlfriend is a Seattle native so I bought the most recent deck as a rare wall hanger.

TheCrimsonShroud

« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2021, 04:46:18 PM »

I've edged on the Quantums for a few weeks now. On the one hand, $20 isn't bad for metal ones, but it's like, why not step up? So I get caught in a loop.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1930
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2021, 06:50:30 PM »
Any sale Resin 7 boards (usually Darkstar unfortunately). Just gotta diy the graphic or clean it off. Just got one for $35.

Been meaning to try a R7 but the dimensions usually fuck me up, the 8.25 x 31.75 x 14.25 feels way to short so I'll step it up to a 8.38 x 32.2 x 14.25. I'll deal with shitty graphics, just not shitty dims.

Jessup is the forgotten step child of the griptape world. It's super gritty and cheaper than Mob. No perforations but if you're careful when applying it you're usually bubble free.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

OldCandy

• Rep: 22
  • cant shuv
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2021, 10:44:57 PM »
The independent black bearings I got on deep discount have been great so far

i had a set
they come with extra speedrings that's nice

slower then my old reds and crowns all broke1 by 1 (dead set in 4months) emailed NHS 3 times no reply
Nah i skate big boards cause i got big ass feet and a big ass dick

Skatebeard

• Rep: 130
« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2021, 06:04:50 AM »
Spitfire cheapshots are a decent enough bearing for the price...i've run them alongside minilogos and i would say they are about the same ride/durability.

PrettyRicki

• Rep: 10
  • Symmetrical boards <3
« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2021, 07:46:21 AM »
Enjoi Gender Bender hardware. Comes in 7/8" or 1" and they can be tightened/loosened by both phillips and allen key. I thought they would strip immediately but after having used a few sets on different boards for almost a year, I haven't had a single messed up screw or nut.

Also, I'll second the Spitfire Cheapshot bearings. I thought they'd be garbage but they're surprisingly decent for $10.

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2021, 07:58:09 AM »
Cortina bearings! I bought some for like $10 shipped on eBay, and they’ve been in the same wheels on my pool board for over two years now. In the intervening time, I wore out several pairs of Reds, some Bronson Raw bearings, along with some others. These cheap Cortinas keep spinning beautifully.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 993
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2021, 08:17:50 AM »
Mini logo trucks, light, low and turn great; swap in some krux pins.

Mini logo bearings
Spiftfire cheapshots bearings

SW script decks (squared) really great shape and dims
+1 for the resin 7 decks on sale

Superior grip

IUTSM

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1392
« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2021, 08:44:52 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Some of the best art in the shop deck game. My girlfriend is a Seattle native so I bought the most recent deck as a rare wall hanger.

Ya man, good quality shit for sure. Felt like a pro model dlx tbh.

Expand Quote

[close]
I've edged on the Quantums for a few weeks now. On the one hand, $20 isn't bad for metal ones, but it's like, why not step up? So I get caught in a loop.

I mean, we spend 40-70bucks on a deck that lasts what 3-7 weeks? I've skated sets of bones swiss for 5+yrs. I'm interested to see how long these quantum's go. I will say that i thought it odd that they required a lubing after only a month of light, parking lot skating, but they're real nice now  ???
Well-defined ambiguity, I'm already on somebody's list as a casualty

TheCrimsonShroud

« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2021, 01:11:22 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Ya man, good quality shit for sure. Felt like a pro model dlx tbh.

Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

I mean, we spend 40-70bucks on a deck that lasts what 3-7 weeks? I've skated sets of bones swiss for 5+yrs. I'm interested to see how long these quantum's go. I will say that i thought it odd that they required a lubing after only a month of light, parking lot skating, but they're real nice now  ???

Skating fucks your value system up lol. Skate a deck for a few months tops, drop $60+ on a new one. $80 for shoes a few times a year. But I look at bearings and don't want to spend more than $20. I don't get it either.