Author Topic: Need help, disproportionately better at flatground  (Read 1042 times)

NickCammz

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 0
Need help, disproportionately better at flatground
« on: February 08, 2022, 04:30:44 PM »
Hey guys, I have been skating for about 15 years now. The first 13 I skated tons but slowed way down to skating only a few times over the past 2 years due to the pandemic, but have recently had a skate resurgence the past couple of months and am back to skating almost daily. The itch never leaves. Anyways, Now that I'm much older (25) and am coming off not skating much for that long it has worsened a problem I have always had. I am ridiculously disproportionately better at flatground than anything else. I have always been better at it than anything because I grew up in a small town with no skatepark and no friends that skated so it was all I had for my first like 4-5ish years skating. As I got older I started to even out a little but there was always a gap. But since I slowed down then started skating again it has gotten outta hand. It's really frustrating because I wanna be able to skate like ledges and flatbars with some competence and I feel like I should be able to but I am really really struggling to re learn old tricks and so help me god if I wanted to learn new tricks, even extremely basic ones when I know I am capable. It hurts to type this cause I fucking hate bragging in any way just sharing for context. On flatground I am on par with and can even beat people in skate that are so good. Coming back into skating I have a pretty deep bag, from anything to like tre flips, frontside and backside flips, bigspins, bigflips to even switch tres, nollie frontside flips, nollie back heels just to name a few tricks I still have pretty locked. But when it comes to anything else, I can like front and back 50 ledges and like front and back board rails and then thrown in back feebles on rails and front 5-0's on ledges and that legit all I got. And sometimes I even struggle to get those. I don't understand at all. I use to have a few more tricks on ledges and rails, (front smiths, back crooks, front tails, back 5-0's) but I cannot do them at all anymore. I don't get how my flatground was relatively unaffected but me taking time away from skating but I can't understand how everything else has. Anyone ever had a similar experience?? Really looking for any help or tips you guys got for how to learn and or re learn ledge and flat bar tricks and how to actually get decent at them. I would like to think it's not too late with age to at least learn some basics. Thanks guys

NickCammz

Way better at flatground than anything else
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2022, 04:31:19 PM »
Hey guys, I have been skating for about 15 years now. The first 13 I skated tons but slowed way down to skating only a few times over the past 2 years due to the pandemic, but have recently had a skate resurgence the past couple of months and am back to skating almost daily. The itch never leaves. Anyways, Now that I'm much older (25) and am coming off not skating much for that long it has worsened a problem I have always had. I am ridiculously disproportionately better at flatground than anything else. I have always been better at it than anything because I grew up in a small town with no skatepark and no friends that skated so it was all I had for my first like 4-5ish years skating. As I got older I started to even out a little but there was always a gap. But since I slowed down then started skating again it has gotten outta hand. It's really frustrating because I wanna be able to skate like ledges and flatbars with some competence and I feel like I should be able to but I am really really struggling to re learn old tricks and so help me god if I wanted to learn new tricks, even extremely basic ones when I know I am capable. It hurts to type this cause I fucking hate bragging in any way just sharing for context. On flatground I am on par with and can even beat people in skate that are so good. Coming back into skating I have a pretty deep bag, from anything to like tre flips, frontside and backside flips, bigspins, bigflips to even switch tres, nollie frontside flips, nollie back heels just to name a few tricks I still have pretty locked. But when it comes to anything else, I can like front and back 50 ledges and like front and back board rails and then thrown in back feebles on rails and front 5-0's on ledges and that legit all I got. And sometimes I even struggle to get those. I don't understand at all. I use to have a few more tricks on ledges and rails, (front smiths, back crooks, front tails, back 5-0's) but I cannot do them at all anymore. I don't get how my flatground was relatively unaffected but me taking time away from skating but I can't understand how everything else has. Anyone ever had a similar experience?? Really looking for any help or tips you guys got for how to learn and or re learn ledge and flat bar tricks and how to actually get decent at them. I would like to think it's not too late with age to at least learn some basics. Thanks guys

Skatebeard

• Rep: 130
Re: Need help, disproportionately better at flatground
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2022, 11:44:54 PM »
I'm 36 and disproportionately better at flatground than anything else for 3 reasons- 1. It's all I skate and 2. I'm too brittle to get heavily into transition or serious street skating. 3. Its a lot easier for me to get to a local parking lot to skate than it is to drive out to one of the skateparks.

And I'm fine with it, I've found my niche that I'm happy with.

If you aren't happy not progressing in the areas of skating you mentioned, the simple answer is to do more of that and less flatground skating. If you spend more of your sessions skating ledges, you'll improve through repetition and pick up new tricks along the way.

Find some low ledges and flatbars and just start over, get the basic tricks solidified and relearned and everything else will come after.

The reason you are probably finding that stuff more difficult is because there's inherently more pop required and a degree more commitment, and IMO more can go wrong vs skating flat- sounds like you've got a bit of a mental barrier with it that you don't have with flatground tricks....and the best way to tackle that is to get comfortable with the easiest stuff and gradually work up.

in love w/ fs shuvs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 111
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2022, 12:10:23 AM »
I second skating funboxes, ledges, and mini rails. Honestly, you're just gonna have to eat shit a few times. Remember to have fun! Here's some spanky motivation!

https://twitter.com/Emerica/status/1486068650348007433?s=20&t=_of2kn0d-_evcj8VJvwxeA

NickCammz

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2022, 10:26:40 AM »
I second skating funboxes, ledges, and mini rails. Honestly, you're just gonna have to eat shit a few times. Remember to have fun! Here's some spanky motivation!

https://twitter.com/Emerica/status/1486068650348007433?s=20&t=_of2kn0d-_evcj8VJvwxeA

So funny you added that for inspo because Spanky is my favorite skater. Thank you

NickCammz

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2022, 12:44:17 PM »
I'm 36 and disproportionately better at flatground than anything else for 3 reasons- 1. It's all I skate and 2. I'm too brittle to get heavily into transition or serious street skating. 3. Its a lot easier for me to get to a local parking lot to skate than it is to drive out to one of the skateparks.

And I'm fine with it, I've found my niche that I'm happy with.

If you aren't happy not progressing in the areas of skating you mentioned, the simple answer is to do more of that and less flatground skating. If you spend more of your sessions skating ledges, you'll improve through repetition and pick up new tricks along the way.

Find some low ledges and flatbars and just start over, get the basic tricks solidified and relearned and everything else will come after.

The reason you are probably finding that stuff more difficult is because there's inherently more pop required and a degree more commitment, and IMO more can go wrong vs skating flat- sounds like you've got a bit of a mental barrier with it that you don't have with flatground tricks....and the best way to tackle that is to get comfortable with the easiest stuff and gradually work up.

Appreciate your insight a lot. I think what you recommend about finding something super mellow and just starting over and re-working up is in order.

I do spend a lot more time skating ledges/flatbars even transition now a days than flatground now but when I think about it in the bigger picture over all my years of skating you are right.

I also think you're right on about having a mental block. I 100% agree the blocks are harder to get over on stuff other than flatground but there is definitely is also mental blocks on flatground.

I did some skate theory thinking about it. For example one of the first blocks you face on flatground is flip tricks. (excluding shove its) I assume this theory to closely be the same for most people with some variations obviously, but pretty similar. Using my own experiences, it took me about 11 months to learn how to kickflip. It was a huge barrier but once I learned it, it unlocks a certain barrier. It took about 11 months for one trick but within two weeks after learning that tricks, kickflips, I was able to heelflips, varial kickflips fakie flips and probably some other tricks.

Next barrier was 360 flips. I learned all those other tricks quick and pretty easily after kickflips, but when it came time to learn 360 flips it was another barrier. It took about 3 months to learn them, but once I got over that barrier and leaned them, within about 2 weeks again after learning them I was able to learn like backside flips, backside heelflips, half cab flips frontside flips very easily and quickly comparatively to 360 flips.

I could go on and on about certain tricks which are like barrier tricks that once you get over it and learn that certain trick, it unlocks tons of other tricks.

But point being of my whole thought exercise here is that all other aspects of skating are probably exactly like that. I think I am really underestimating that, and maybe always have. Thinking back on it, getting through and learning barrier tricks is really fucking hard. And I probably didn't really realize it cause I was just a 13 year old kid skating having the time of my life. But now that I'm much older and relatively advanced in a certain area so there is like an expectation that oh I can do these relatively hard tricks on flatground why can't I do these relatively easier tricks on a ledge or something.

But the reality is they are completely separate barriers that are even harder to get over.   

Maybe I am fully on skate philosophy madness, but maybe not. Who knows. Fun to think about though. Appreciate what you said.... Now time to build myself a mellow little ledge and pretend I'm 13 again. lmao

Mr. Stinky

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 311
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2022, 02:21:02 PM »
I'll go even farther and say build a box or flatbar more or less exactly how you want one to skate in the street where you live.  Lowers the barrier to skating something different by a whole lot.

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1569
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2022, 10:54:05 PM »
Being 'better' at flatground isn't exactly abnormal, flat is essentially your skateboard's default mode and so of course it's more or less natural to play around in that department, especially if your area lacks accessible spots. Remember your environment shapes your skating. There are people who never really bothered with flatground, usually because they had access to parks/spots/terrain that just worked better for them on the get-go but I wouldn't say that's the norm, at least not the one I see. To the average little kid who's still intimidated by big stuff, it's way more appealing to nerd out on flat where only rudimentary board control is at play and stakes regarding physical risk are relatively low. Then everyone just sort of decides how far and in which directions they will explore from there.

I think you should just enjoy skating the way you naturally do and let your style develop on its own, that's what makes an interesting skater, you don't want to confine yourself to what really are arbitrary metrics, or the next person's standards that usually are full of shit. There is no ideal in your skating but your own, nor is skateboarding about pleasing other people but instead doing what you yourself feel like doing. Trying new things and going out of your comfort zone is great but you also shouldn't feel expected to dominate every terrain just because that's what some of the most prominent pros/influencers do; being well-rounded is something you yourself need to want, every new obstacle should be a natural progression and inspiration that's only coming from within if that makes sense. That's usually how you will learn the best too. There will (or may not ever) be a time where the tricks you cherish will spontaneously ask you to take them to unfamiliar places, be it banks, curbs or small gaps which will then evolve onto transition, ledges and bigger gaps before you know it. In the meantime, you absolutely should try and skate as much new terrain as possible, because that's just fun, but no one's holding a gun to your head and grading each and every one of your sessions, starting somewhere new is OK. A good parallel may be learning more languages than your native one - it's a great thing to do that might or might not take you places, and fun if that's your kind of thing, but you don't really feel complexed for not mastering every language on the planet as fluently as you can speak English. You don't 'need help' - you're fine.

Don't let the silly idea of 'performance' bring you down. There's no point in knowing switch big flips on flat if you can't appreciate doing awkward little kickturns on wonky shit all day every once in a while. If you do whatever you feel like doing on your board unconstrained by how you may or may not look that day is when more of the pieces will start coming together, almost ironically because that's how you learn new fundamentals, sometimes without realizing.