Author Topic: Front side shuvs  (Read 690 times)

danmasontree

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 10
Front side shuvs
« on: February 14, 2022, 07:49:40 AM »
Why can I front 50, front shuv proper and with speed but my front shuvs on flat suck

Skatebeard

• Rep: 130
Re: Front side shuvs
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2022, 08:43:36 AM »
I've found a lot of this trick is in the shoulders for me, i've started popping them with my shoulders more parallel to the board/slightly open past it, and I find I get the board round faster and with less effort.

I used to pop them with my shoulders more closed and rotated the other way as if I was popping a BS shuv, and I think that was blocking the trick as it would take quite a lot of effort to do what should be a fairly minimal movement.

Worth playing with front foot placement as well, I find they pop faster and more underneath me if i have my front foot nearer the middle of the board rather than toward the front bolts.

Paul_Glider Skateboards

• Rep: 56
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2022, 09:26:50 AM »
The only way I can do them consistently is the way Ben Gegros explained it in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEar_3dyA9k&ab_channel=BenDegros

He does them where he puts the popping foot directly in the center. I feel like most skaters do a duck-feet type of angle or in the heelside pocket area but it just didnt work for me.

-
We're a board company that specializes in the twin tail shape
www.instagram.com/gliderskateboards
www.gliderskateboards.com

DM us on IG if you're ever interested. We offer Slap Pals a generous discount!

Peepeeboy69

• Rep: 14
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2022, 01:03:30 PM »
i read a tip on slap that said to put ur foot in the center of the tail, pop straight down but off the toe like ur tryna scrape the toeside edge of the tail instead of the middle. With that tip i landed my first fs shuv the next day so quick.

realbasedgod112

• Rep: 80
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2022, 02:33:08 PM »
while i still may not be consistent with this trick (or have them looking 'steezy'), i've found my consistency vastly improves with this method:
SETUP:
  -have you shoulders, legs etc pretty much the same as you would for an ollie
  -back foot slightly further forward with the ball of your foot on the tip of the tail
  -front foot closer to the toeside rail
THE TRICK:
-pop it like an ollie but ever so slightly push forward with your back foot, careful not to overscoop it. (it's about the pop not the scoop, scooping it will make it go way too far behind you)
-get your front foot out of the way pretty much immediately, just kind of lift it up i guess. or put it forward. whatever feels best.
-jump back a little bit, it takes a bit of experimentation to find the right balance.
THE APPLAUSE:
-woah dude holy shit, that was an awesome front shuv!
-(girl) it's so hot that you can do less common tricks like front shuvs and heelflips, wanna get coffee later?
THE RESPONSE:
-thanks man, realbasedgod112 the best guy on SLAP ever taught me how.
-for sure girl, be warned i like my coffee black. makes it feel authentic, you know?
THE FUTURE:
-girl, the months with you have been the happiest of my life so far. i want to spend my future with you. will you marry me?
-(girl) OF COURSE! I LOVE YOU SO MUCH!
-(you grow old with the girl, and even when you lose your laser flips and salad grinds she appreciates that you've only gotten finer with age. eventually, you die in each other's arms to be united in heaven forever.)
y’all not fuckin with what i’m fuckin with

danmasontree

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2022, 08:57:19 PM »
Thank you everyone. I’ve watched countless videos and have landed some super shitty ones. Going to mess with my front foot placement more and pay more attention to my shoulders.

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2022, 11:47:50 AM »
i read a tip on slap that said to put ur foot in the center of the tail, pop straight down but off the toe like ur tryna scrape the toeside edge of the tail instead of the middle. With that tip i landed my first fs shuv the next day so quick.

I tried this tonight and got my first front shuvs ever. Rolled away from a handful, not sure what they looked like tho. It feels so weird to pop the board and to have no idea where it is heading but then magically you land on it. Have a gnar!
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

jaysouthbay

• Rep: 1
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2022, 07:08:14 PM »
*edit cannot stress how underrated this trick tip video is, i learned front shuvs this way and my front shuvs are monaaaay, pop dont scoop

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjO2-pxs_80&ab_channel=DeliStatus
« Last Edit: February 24, 2022, 09:39:35 PM by jaysouthbay »

Frank and Fred

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2022, 08:30:23 PM »
I love a good front shuv. Play around with your front foot position. It can really effect where your board ends up.

danmasontree

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2022, 12:16:22 PM »
Whenever I try to pop them proper and high and know I'm only gonna land with my front foot, they pop perfect. When i try and actually land.... not so much. Gonna try some new techniques tonight and will report back for anyone who cares

danmasontree

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2022, 07:37:46 PM »
Whenever I try to pop them proper and high and know I'm only gonna land with my front foot, they pop perfect. When i try and actually land.... not so much. Gonna try some new techniques tonight and will report back for anyone who cares

Update, tried a bunch tonight and it did not go well.