Poll

Spitfire wheels vs bones wheels

Spitfire Wheels
136 (85.5%)
Bones Wheels
23 (14.5%)

Total Members Voted: 159

Author Topic: Spitfire wheels vs bones wheels  (Read 9716 times)

chrisskates808

Spitfire wheels vs bones wheels
« on: June 09, 2021, 03:53:52 PM »
Which one do you like better?

moonordie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 37
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: Spitfire wheels vs bones wheels
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2021, 04:05:43 PM »
/focus
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

Space Cowboy

• Rep: 69
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2021, 04:49:24 PM »
I've had bones STF wheels chip on me before, however, the F4's from spitfire grip and slide than you want them to, spits are the best in my experience.

arrbee

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 438
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2021, 05:10:25 PM »
Can you change the thread subject to

“Spitfire wheels vs. throwing money in the trash”
Quote from: DaveFuck
youre fucking FRIED if you think im gonna listen to dan corrigan talk about cariuma

newspaperparty

• Rep: 25
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2021, 05:12:31 PM »
Can you change the thread subject to

“Spitfire wheels vs. throwing money in the trash”

I'll second that.

For those seeking serious advice, here is the difference: Bones suck and Spitfires don't. Easy answer

IUTSM

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1398
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2021, 06:15:10 PM »
Bones wheels feel like plastic. Was a dissapointment when I started skating again last yr
Well-defined ambiguity, I'm already on somebody's list as a casualty

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1002
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2021, 06:40:07 PM »
Lotta hate for bones in here, they are good wheels - they are the second best big brand wheel you can buy...

F4s just feel better than STFs; Bones were THE wheel before F4s hit the scene and you all fucking rode them.

Bones also has two fucking killer shapes: V3 and V5

Currently riding 99a Spit tabs

Now BONES SPFs are a different story in smooth parks.

TheCrimsonShroud

• Rep: 98
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2021, 06:45:41 PM »
Lotta hate for bones in here, they are good wheels - they are the second best big brand wheel you can buy...

F4s just feel better than STFs; Bones were THE wheel before F4s hit the scene and you all fucking rode them.

As someone who has ridden neither (I know, the horror) I've been debating which way to go. I've come to dislike the Slimeballs I have because they feel brittle, so I've been looking really hard elsewhere. Spits seem to be almost universally recommended, but I really like the V3/5 cuts and how in depth Bones goes on their site as to weight, patch, etc.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2021, 06:56:27 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

As someone who has ridden neither (I know, the horror) I've been debating which way to go. I've come to dislike the Slimeballs I have because they feel brittle, so I've been looking really hard elsewhere. Spits seem to be almost universally recommended, but I really like the V3/5 cuts and how in depth Bones goes on their site as to weight, patch, etc.

You can't go wrong with Spit F4s, it would be my first recommendation to anyone.

I like thin wheels, and spit doesn't offer anything but tablets and even then, BONES V3s are still thinner (Ricta make a badass slim conical that's thinner than the V3...but you won't hear about it on this forum because it isn't spitfire, or dialtone or NFG or whatever non-brand new brand brown fucking potato flavor of the month wheel is...next up Canal, they're brown too!

The V5 is such a rad shape, it's like a classic but not a fucking golfball, nice straight edge, it's like a conicalclassic baby.

Also, nothing, I mean NOTHING looks better on an ACE hanger than spitfire classics.

If you are going to skate any wheel out of NHS, it's got to be the Elite branded urethane (another underrated wheel formula on this forum), I actually prefer them to BONES SPF in parks.

Currently riding Spitfire F4 99a tablets (orange) because spit 99a > bones 99a on the terrain I ride...if DLX knows what's good they'd release that 97a formula in a thin wheel (Tablet or Radial slim <- another great shape).
« Last Edit: June 09, 2021, 07:06:35 PM by Xen »

Lloyd Braun

• Rep: 80
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2021, 07:03:36 PM »
I was a bones guy until a few years ago. I hated spitfire forever after flat spotting some F4s when they first came out. I tried F4s again after a long time and no comparison much better. The right amount of grip/slide.

logjammin

• Rep: 336
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2021, 07:54:13 PM »
Xen knows his stuff! Spitfire F4, NFG, Bones STF/SPF, OJ Elite/Mini Combo/Slimeballs all have unique characteristics and are reliable wheels. Classic Spits and stuff that comes out of Creative have flatspotted on me so I don't bother with those.

TheCrimsonShroud

• Rep: 98
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2021, 08:05:20 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

You can't go wrong with Spit F4s, it would be my first recommendation to anyone.

I like thin wheels, and spit doesn't offer anything but tablets and even then, BONES V3s are still thinner (Ricta make a badass slim conical that's thinner than the V3...but you won't hear about it on this forum because it isn't spitfire, or dialtone or NFG or whatever non-brand new brand brown fucking potato flavor of the month wheel is...next up Canal, they're brown too!

The V5 is such a rad shape, it's like a classic but not a fucking golfball, nice straight edge, it's like a conicalclassic baby.

Also, nothing, I mean NOTHING looks better on an ACE hanger than spitfire classics.

If you are going to skate any wheel out of NHS, it's got to be the Elite branded urethane (another underrated wheel formula on this forum), I actually prefer them to BONES SPF in parks.

Currently riding Spitfire F4 99a tablets (orange) because spit 99a > bones 99a on the terrain I ride...if DLX knows what's good they'd release that 97a formula in a thin wheel (Tablet or Radial slim <- another great shape).
I can't add anything of value. So informative! Thanks so much dude.

I will say I'd assumed (stupidly) that Slimeballs would be the Elite 'thane given the sort of brand prestige. I hear a lot of grumbling that they don't make em like they used to regarding Slimeballs.

As far as F4s go, I'd love something as slim as what Bones offers, and I'd be just as stoked for tabs/Slim's in 97a. I can ride 99s on my local crust, but it needs to be in a fat wheel. I'd like to go thinner (I'm taking Spit classic, 14.5mm patch but without the actual classic rounded walls) and have something around 97 to compensate. My Slimes are 97a but for some reason they just don't ride well around here. I've tried different bearings, boards, and trucks and it's just no bueno.

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1296
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2021, 08:12:44 PM »
Between trucks, shoes, and decks, I'm glad I found f4 and can strike that off of things I obsess over. Just find the f4 shape and hardness you like and call it a day.

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2021, 08:17:29 PM »
Spitfire F4 classics 99a. I got some f4 tablets and I really liked them but went back to classics. I really wanna try bones again. I had some I didn’t hate them. But I got f4s and never looked back. But I like that bones is made in the US ,spitfire gets every ones money so I can try something else and V3 have my interest. I’m just afraid bones won’t slide and handle the Midwest crust like F4 does. But let’s be real my old ass is skating a park 75% of the time.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1938
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2021, 08:21:42 PM »
Between trucks, shoes, and decks, I'm glad I found f4 and can strike that off of things I obsess over. Just find the f4 shape and hardness you like and call it a day.

Pretty much this.

Spitfire is #1, Bones a distant #2.

Slide more predictably, flatspot slower, their 99a don't feel mushy and their graphics aren't half bad.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2021, 09:19:57 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Pretty much this.

Spitfire is #1, Bones a distant #2.

Slide more predictably, flatspot slower, their 99a don't feel mushy and their graphics aren't half bad.

Agree with both posts.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2021, 09:31:20 PM »
I think this has been discussed to death. Spitfires ruled through the mid to late 90s and then took a serious dive in the 00s... I resorted to Bones. Bones SPF in the parks and STF in the streets. Great wheels no doubt but there was always something lacking in the way of feel for me. Also SPF feel like shit unless you are in a smooth park and STF lack control in smooth parks.

Fast Forward to F4s. You get a wheel that slays on everything. I'd say they are slightly less durable than Bones and slightly slower but the slip to grip ratio, shapes, rebound, feel and all terrain applications cannot be beat. It felt good to go home.

Just a subjective opinion. I did a quick detour to the 99a STFs. Also great wheels but F4s rule the game for me. 97,99 and 101... Love them all.

Final thought... Whenever I flatspotted a Bones wheel I could never get rid of it. Flatspotted F4s tend to work themselves out quicker.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2021, 09:40:38 PM by Frank and Fred »

Eric Dolphy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 524
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2021, 09:35:12 PM »
In the middle of lockdown I had a board stolen so a friend lent me one, had bones on it. I was open to the idea they might be ok, rolled five metres on it and felt like I was going to throw up.
He was always "nah i reckon bones are good" but recently talked him into buying some f4 spits and now he can't stop raving about how much he loves them.

Tldr: Spits

If you see offensive comments, just let it go into one eye and let it out of the other eye, no tears and not sadness or anger.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2021, 10:00:25 PM »
I think this has been discussed to death. Spitfires ruled through the mid to late 90s and then took a serious dive in the 00s... I resorted to Bones. Bones SPF in the parks and STF in the streets. Great wheels no doubt but there was always something lacking in the way of feel for me. Also SPF feel like shit unless you are in a smooth park and STF lack control in smooth parks.

Fast Forward to F4s. You get a wheel that slays on everything. I'd say they are slightly less durable than Bones and slightly slower but the slip to grip ratio, shapes, rebound, feel and all terrain applications cannot be beat. It felt good to go home.

Just a subjective opinion. I did a quick detour to the 99a STFs. Also great wheels but F4s rule the game for me. 97,99 and 101... Love them all.

Final thought... Whenever I flatspotted a Bones wheel I could never get rid of it. Flatspotted F4s tend to work themselves out quicker.

Bones are way too hard to flatspot, both to their advantage and disadvantage. They stay the same size for a long time but are unforgivably hard on anything other than smooth ground.
Bones wheels do chip easily especially your crooked grind wheel, never had a similar problem with Spitfire wheels.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

jimgrude

• Rep: 67
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2021, 10:12:33 PM »
If you ask me, it's really not a simple as picking on over the other.
I used to be strictly an STF dude, but having tried the lot, I now have a more nuanced opinion.

I can understand that some people don't like the feel of STF, but for really hard wheels (103a/83b), I definitely think Bones are the way to go. The 101a spits don't really feel like F4's anyway, so there's not really any point to them. Besides, the STF's are definitely more durable and flatspot resistant. Flatspots on F4's will roll out nicely from wearing down, but the Bones just don't wanna flatspot in the first place, and they last forever.

As for 99a, however, I reluctantly have to give it to Spitfire. I haven't tried the 97a's yet, but I'm sure they're just more of that special goodness. Like everyone says, there's just something about the way they feel. That being said, the new 99a STF's have come pretty damn close. To anyone who didn't like the "plasticky" feel of the 103"s, I'd definitely give the 99a's a go.

To summarize, there really is only one answer: NFG / Loophole

Sidenotes:
I truly hate the vibe of Spitfire. The graphical design and logo is just shit. As a little kid, I thought that burning face was almost as cheesy as the World Industries characters. It literally put me off the entire brand for over two decades, and I still feel dumb being seen riding their wheels.
Also, let's be real here. Spitfire has always been ripping off Bones. Their wheels were garbage until they tried to copy Bones and accidentally made an arguably better urethane formula. Even most of the shapes are directly taken from Bones. But in the end, who cares.

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1296
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2021, 10:58:54 PM »

Sidenotes:
I truly hate the vibe of Spitfire. The graphical design and logo is just shit. As a little kid, I thought that burning face was almost as cheesy as the World Industries characters. It literally put me off the entire brand for over two decades, and I still feel dumb being seen riding their wheels.
Also, let's be real here. Spitfire has always been ripping off Bones. Their wheels were garbage until they tried to copy Bones and accidentally made an arguably better urethane formula. Even most of the shapes are directly taken from Bones. But in the end, who cares.
I feel the same exact way but about bones. That ugly ass font and the rat logo with the cross bones. The whole branding just stinks of Hof-fart from a dude with a bad Dyet.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1582
« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2021, 11:20:23 PM »
Bones....namely because of the team....

Skatebeard

• Rep: 130
« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2021, 12:26:02 AM »
I have a set of 50mm 99a F4 classics on my main setup, and a set of 50mm 99a Bones STF on my little flatground deck.

Both good wheels, but I absolutely prefer the F4s, they slide a little better.

The 99a Bones STF don't feel plasticky to me at all, if anything they are a hair softer than the Spits.

saltusnaut

• Rep: 36
« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2021, 03:53:45 AM »
interesting to hear about people's experiences and how it can differ from my own.
In my experience stf flatspot way easier than f4. Guess it depends on what type of ground your skating and your style of skating.
I bomb alot of hills that have really rough tarmac. f4 handle it way better than stf

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2021, 04:14:01 AM »
When I recently restarted skating after a long hiatus I still had some Spitfires on my old set up (old = from 1997). When that snapped I picked up a complete set up, and went for Bones 100‘s for a reason that now eludes me. Anyway they really feel completely different than the Spitfires, plasticky is exactly the right word. I got used to them quickly tho and they do fine for my purposes of rocking schoolyards and the odd streetspot. We have mostly nice pavement in Switzerland tho. As the Bones get smaller I contemplate setting up the old Spitfires with my next deck. The Spitfires look huge compared to the Bones although initially both were 52mm. The Spits are far wider. I can use that extra width as I will upsize from 8.38 to 8.5 deck.

Tl;dr: I currently ride Bones but will probably give some 25 year old Spits a shot soon.
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

Velcro Wallet

• Rep: 214
« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2021, 04:23:42 AM »
I’ve flat spotted way more spitfires. But I like the feel of them better.  I’ve never had Bones chip away on me or anything.

If Spitfires came white when you bought them it would be perfect world.

sketchyrider

« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2021, 06:57:56 AM »
i feel like this topic deserves a little more nuance than it will get here.

bones wheels are faster and wear down slower. spitfires are smoother and more chip resistant. both are pretty damn hard to flatspot.

things like grippiness and how they slide are kind of a matter of preference really. bones take a little more force to push through a slide but you might like that.

i also think spitfire graphics are pretty bad and may explain why graphics on the inside are a thing. yeah the vato rat is played out but they don't put it on all their wheels. wheel graphics don't really take up too much space in my mind though...

for what its worth i would have stuck with bones if they got rid of the STF/SPF distinction and just made an all around wheel formula. i kind of liked the "raw" feeling of bones. hard fast and let out some gnarly noise when you did a good slide. i just hated being stuck with SPFs that only worked in the park, or rocking STFs on a board that i *mostly* rode in the park.

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2021, 08:27:19 AM »
I was on F4 since it appeared but I tried some v3 slim earlier this year and they are pretty nice. I still have them on a board I use at the "flatland skatepark' here.

I weighed them on a kitchen scale and the 52 v3 slim are fully 140 gram lighter than 52 F4 classics. so if you like a lighter tech setup with slim wheels, Bones is a good option. the only other similar shape are from brands ive never heard of before

im trying out some other bones on a shaped board im only going to ride at skateparks when I go on a trip next week

before f4 came out I was on STF and I always liked them. but that was a long time ago now. I always thought non-F4 spitfire urethane was trash

I sort of agree with the guy about flamehead branding. I dont know if this is universal but a lot of hick guys where I live have that sticker on their truck. I dont think these guys even skate.  Both brand have pretty cringe graphics on the wheel. DLX must let their art guy have the wheel graphics as his pet project for corny stuff. at least you can always find a set of the classics with just the spiral. the bones usually only have some weird thing on the side. the ones Im riding have sheep on them. but of course I just turn them around

Have you skated the V3 in the streets? I’m really thinking about them but i kinda want them as a universal park/street wheel. Idk shit about bones so I was thinking v3 easy streets in 54mm instead of the 52/53 I usually skate to help on streets.  maybe v1 instead

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1190
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2021, 08:36:37 AM »
Was an F4 purist before trying the NFG square shape.  I’ve been on them now for a couple months and I think I might like them better than F4’s.  Even though they are 101 duro, they somehow handle crusty, rough ground better than my usual F4 conical full 99a’s. 
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #29 on: June 10, 2021, 08:45:54 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I was on F4 since it appeared but I tried some v3 slim earlier this year and they are pretty nice. I still have them on a board I use at the "flatland skatepark' here.

I weighed them on a kitchen scale and the 52 v3 slim are fully 140 gram lighter than 52 F4 classics. so if you like a lighter tech setup with slim wheels, Bones is a good option. the only other similar shape are from brands ive never heard of before

im trying out some other bones on a shaped board im only going to ride at skateparks when I go on a trip next week

before f4 came out I was on STF and I always liked them. but that was a long time ago now. I always thought non-F4 spitfire urethane was trash

I sort of agree with the guy about flamehead branding. I dont know if this is universal but a lot of hick guys where I live have that sticker on their truck. I dont think these guys even skate.  Both brand have pretty cringe graphics on the wheel. DLX must let their art guy have the wheel graphics as his pet project for corny stuff. at least you can always find a set of the classics with just the spiral. the bones usually only have some weird thing on the side. the ones Im riding have sheep on them. but of course I just turn them around
[close]

Have you skated the V3 in the streets? I’m really thinking about them but i kinda want them as a universal park/street wheel. Idk shit about bones so I was thinking v3 easy streets in 54mm instead of the 52/53 I usually skate to help on streets.  maybe v1 instead
[close]

yes I do ride the slims in the street but I was trying something new this year, I wanted to get tech again so I really just skate manny pads, low ledges, some slick marble benches and stuff like that. v3 are great for that. however, the v3 shape definitely does NOT work very well for slappies. so if you're into that stay away. that is why I probably will not get them again. Imo the rounded radius of the spitfire classics is the key to slappies with smaller wheels

52mm V3 are unforgiving in the streets, 54mm V3 99a would be a better fit for the streets.

Had my best flatground game on V3 52mm, incredibly light and nimble. Autobahn Street Slims are even skinnier, almost comically skinny.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m