Poll

Spitfire wheels vs bones wheels

Spitfire Wheels
136 (85.5%)
Bones Wheels
23 (14.5%)

Total Members Voted: 159

Author Topic: Spitfire wheels vs bones wheels  (Read 9712 times)

backinaction

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 279
Re: Spitfire wheels vs bones wheels
« Reply #30 on: June 10, 2021, 09:00:47 AM »
It depends where you are skating.

I have boards built up right now with SPF, STF 103, STF 99, F4 101, F4 99 and NFG 95.  All have a surface and type of skating that they are better at.

SPF are fastest in baby smooth transition parks. Fucking horrible outside of this, but amazing in.
STF 103 are fast and can slide in baby smooth "street" parks.  These were my go-to for years - but I am using them just occasionally now.
F4 101 are probably my favorite all around, are more comfortable than the harder Bones - but aren't quite as fast. If I had to choose one wheel for everywhere it would probably be this.
STF 99 are a bit grippier than F4 99, so good if you are skating super slick surfaces like a brand new park or dusty indoor. They are also good in the street - but don't slide quite as well as an F4 99.
F4 99 are good in the streets, but I find them slow in super smooth parks so seldom skate them.
NFG are good in crust.

I have flat spotted SPF, STF 103 and F4 101 multiple times each.  All are good at resisting, but none are bulletproof.

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 230
    • Instagram avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #31 on: June 10, 2021, 09:14:58 AM »
I see bones makes an 81B SPF now, curious to try them since the new park that opened up is too slick for F4 99s.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1938
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #32 on: June 10, 2021, 09:16:34 AM »
It depends where you are skating.

I have boards built up right now with SPF, STF 103, STF 99, F4 101, F4 99 and NFG 95.  All have a surface and type of skating that they are better at.

SPF are fastest in baby smooth transition parks. Fucking horrible outside of this, but amazing in.
STF 103 are fast and can slide in baby smooth "street" parks.  These were my go-to for years - but I am using them just occasionally now.
F4 101 are probably my favorite all around, are more comfortable than the harder Bones - but aren't quite as fast. If I had to choose one wheel for everywhere it would probably be this.
STF 99 are a bit grippier than F4 99, so good if you are skating super slick surfaces like a brand new park or dusty indoor. They are also good in the street - but don't slide quite as well as an F4 99.
F4 99 are good in the streets, but I find them slow in super smooth parks so seldom skate them.
NFG are good in crust.

I have flat spotted SPF, STF 103 and F4 101 multiple times each.  All are good at resisting, but none are bulletproof.

Good summary of all of them
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

bombsaway86

• Rep: 164
« Reply #33 on: June 10, 2021, 12:58:26 PM »
I see bones makes an 81B SPF now, curious to try them since the new park that opened up is too slick for F4 99s.

They’re really good. I find they have more grip on slick concrete than F4 99s, but the F4s have better grip on slick skatelite

johnes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -238
« Reply #34 on: June 10, 2021, 03:04:34 PM »
My last couple sets of wheels have been Bones 99a stf, I like them as much as spitfire 99 but I’d say the spits slide just a tiny bit easier. I remember once I set up new spit 99’s and I pushed fast at my local park and just leaned for a turn and the wheels slid out from under me, I haven’t had that happen with the bones 99’s.
I haven’t had any other Bones in a long time though so idk how the 101’s or 103’s are.
I’m a fat Siamese cat.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1092
« Reply #35 on: June 10, 2021, 03:39:12 PM »

It's really absurd how good these are in parks. If I were some SoCal skater with a thousand street parks out me door, I'd absolutely have a set of these. They're like cheating.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

PrettyRicki

• Rep: 10
  • Symmetrical boards <3
« Reply #36 on: June 10, 2021, 04:04:22 PM »
I weighed them on a kitchen scale and the 52 v3 slim are fully 140 gram lighter than 52 F4 classics. so if you like a lighter tech setup with slim wheels, Bones is a good option. the only other similar shape are from brands ive never heard of before

I have a set of 52mm F4 classics and they weigh 53 grams each, so 4 of them are 212 grams. There is no possible way that the bones weigh 140 grams less unless you forgot to take the bearings or trucks off  :o

Velcro Wallet

• Rep: 214
« Reply #37 on: June 10, 2021, 04:20:11 PM »
If spitfires didn’t already come troff lollie yellow off the bat I’d be much happier. Cause I’m old I like my wheels to be as white as possible. But to skate, Spitfires rule. Hands down.

And after reading the Mullen keeps his wheels in the fridge when not in use I can’t not do it myself now. OCD.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1092
« Reply #38 on: June 10, 2021, 05:30:52 PM »
I don't believe there is any possible way that freezing polyurethane wheels has any effect whatsoever. It's probably best to keep unused wheels in a plastic bag in a dry place, but you're not going to change the chemical composition by keeping your wheels alongside your Hungry Man Dinner.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

TheCrimsonShroud

• Rep: 98
« Reply #39 on: June 10, 2021, 05:49:34 PM »
I don't believe there is any possible way that freezing polyurethane wheels has any effect whatsoever. It's probably best to keep unused wheels in a plastic bag in a dry place, but you're not going to change the chemical composition by keeping your wheels alongside your Hungry Man Dinner.

Mullen is a hero and all, but he definitely throws some spectrum vibes.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #40 on: June 10, 2021, 07:06:55 PM »
If spitfires didn’t already come troff lollie yellow off the bat I’d be much happier.

I love the potato brown color. Just looks closer to what urethane should look to me. I struggle with the Andy Roy white teeth look of Bones.

Francis Xavier

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2214
« Reply #41 on: June 10, 2021, 08:14:39 PM »
I'm not the demographic for Bones and by the time I am I'll still be riding 54mm Spitfires. F4 or classics I dont give a fuck,lets roll.

Darkstar wheels where complete dogshit though, way back when. They looked cool because they were so skinny,but it was a bitch to pop a bearing in and trying to skate any wooden ramp.

Damn I left my bubbler at my parents house

Big Baby Jesus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 265
    • Suciu avatar image
« Reply #42 on: June 11, 2021, 05:00:47 AM »
1 vote for Fred Gall
flat spotted 3 times in 2 weeks, other than that awesome wheels

Baby is gonna be raised by Max and Cyrus

SlapMcKracken

• Rep: 92
« Reply #43 on: April 08, 2022, 07:39:23 AM »
Are stf‘s really faster than average wheels ?
I skated new stf wheels but also new bronsons  (the cheapest ones) and it’s clearly faster than what I have skated before.

I said it’s the bearings, but one dude at the park said it might be the stf‘s.

Why would they be faster than other wheels? They are super hard. I was skating a slick park.

I skated bones before too, but og Formular
« Last Edit: April 08, 2022, 08:31:33 AM by SlapMcKracken »

Frank and Fred

« Reply #44 on: April 08, 2022, 08:03:42 AM »
STF are indeed very fast. So are SPF. I'd say depending on terrain, they are usually faster than F4s but I'm not  fan of the slide or feel of them. F4s are way more versatile also.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1000
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #45 on: April 08, 2022, 08:44:27 AM »

Frank and Fred

« Reply #46 on: April 08, 2022, 10:21:10 AM »
Happens a lot around here. No wonder so many people focus their accounts and come back with a new ID.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1582
« Reply #47 on: April 08, 2022, 11:21:59 AM »
Middle aged guys with no one to talk to…..

FuzzGNU

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 194
  • The Spectre Haunting SLAP
« Reply #48 on: April 08, 2022, 04:59:05 PM »
Expand Quote
I weighed them on a kitchen scale and the 52 v3 slim are fully 140 gram lighter than 52 F4 classics. so if you like a lighter tech setup with slim wheels, Bones is a good option. the only other similar shape are from brands ive never heard of before
[close]

I have a set of 52mm F4 classics and they weigh 53 grams each, so 4 of them are 212 grams. There is no possible way that the bones weigh 140 grams less unless you forgot to take the bearings or trucks off  :o

I did a kitchen scale weigh of the two sets of Bones fresh out of packaging and here were the results:

STF 54mm V4 103a = 264g
(The "Wide" which would be similar to a Spitfire Radial)

STF 55mm V5 99a = 255g
(The "Sidecut" which would be similar to a Spitfire Conical)

I'm not sure how much the durometer affects weight. Softer wheels tend to "feel" heavier while skating, but I'm not sure if there is actually a weight/density difference or not.

The Sidecuts are slightly narrower, but have a a similar riding surface.

Hopefully this information is useful to someone out there.
Skateboarding is the ultimate challenge.

FrankRizzo

• Rep: 10
« Reply #49 on: May 02, 2022, 10:39:55 PM »
After skating Bones SPF 84b 60mm V5 I haven't touched my Spitfire 99a 56mm conicals (now 53mm).

I also have conical fulls 97a and 99a classics sitting on the shelf (both in 56mm and ridden only once).

I like how the Bones wheel mentioned above grips and slips on command. They're super fast. The V5 shape is light weight and at 60mm rolls over everything. I do not mind them on rougher ground at all

After going up to 60mm super hard wheels I do not think I can mess with much else for awhile.

I previously would swap hangers with 56mm Ricta Clouds 78a to cruise around but as of late I just keep the bones on (I have had an extra set of hangers with cruiser wheels on them for a year or so with the intention of swapping assemblies depending on situation so as to ride only one deck).

Dimitrov

• Rep: -2
« Reply #50 on: May 03, 2022, 04:08:48 AM »
Tablets all day give me the medicine

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 620
    • Balargue Skateshop avatar image
« Reply #51 on: May 03, 2022, 04:49:48 AM »

Temperature plays a huge role in any chemical reaction and material degradation. Water has no effect here.
Despite urethane being kinda inert, keeping it in the dark (no UVs) & under low temperature is better to prevent change in color, structure and properties in the long run (it can slowly become brittle).
For a few years storage, it makes sense. For a few months, it's pointless though.

Hedgehog In Da Fog

• Rep: -15
« Reply #52 on: May 03, 2022, 09:51:09 AM »
I must be one of those total pervs that actually likes the color of formula 4.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #53 on: May 03, 2022, 09:53:49 AM »
Nah. More potato color the better for me also.

Wizard0f0dds

• Rep: 72
« Reply #54 on: May 03, 2022, 10:06:11 AM »
Nah. More potato color the better for me also.

Lessfillingtastegreat

• Rep: 54
« Reply #55 on: May 03, 2022, 11:36:27 AM »
I like the SF F4 but my favorite wheels. And still rising them because I found a set in my stash.  Zero Tommy Sandoval made by Ricta.   They don’t have that plastic funny thing in them either.  Look like Bones SPF but skate amazing.  Ridiculously hard and don’t come out or flat spot.  Someone once said they are the “old ricta formula”. Whatever that means.
8.1 Drift -  venture 5.6 , Jessup, SFF  54mm Swiss ceramics  -https://imgur.com/a/WlDgenx

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #56 on: May 03, 2022, 03:00:42 PM »
I like the SF F4 but my favorite wheels. And still rising them because I found a set in my stash.  Zero Tommy Sandoval made by Ricta.   They don’t have that plastic funny thing in them either.  Look like Bones SPF but skate amazing.  Ridiculously hard and don’t come out or flat spot.  Someone once said they are the “old ricta formula”. Whatever that means.

Ricta gets zero love on here, but the Super Slim conical shape is tits. Fast, slide great, hard and no flats (so far), not plasticky and not a potato. Did I say that they're HARD = not for the faint of heart or janky streets. The 101a Rictas make 103 STFs feel like 90a and 101 spits like 99s.

Get the naturals or speed rings NOT the Sparx (pp wheel).
« Last Edit: May 03, 2022, 05:29:46 PM by Xen »

scrub74

• Rep: 22
« Reply #57 on: May 03, 2022, 04:25:02 PM »
I gave Bones a try again but just puled these jawns off and put some Spitfire OG classics on instead

These things were fast enough but felt/sounded dead and messed with my pop (and I'm old so I need all the help I can get).

kevs.clips

• Rep: 24
« Reply #58 on: May 03, 2022, 04:43:03 PM »
I'm with some of you folks on this one: I think Bones have the potential to be better than Spits in specific scenarios, but if you're looking for a wheel that does pretty well in basically any setting, Spitfire F4 99s are the way to go.

You CAN'T beat an SPF 84b wheel in a smooth park, super fast and great grip/slip ratio. And the Bones 99a STFs I have found are really good both on super rough ground and where you need some extra grip. Since I tend to ride mostly transition and have the fortune to have 3 pretty new parks in my area I skate regularly, I've been really loving Bones 84b SPFs for a lot of my skating, and rock the 99a STFs for when I skate curbs and stuff.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #59 on: May 03, 2022, 05:32:44 PM »
I gave Bones a try again but just puled these jawns off and put some Spitfire OG classics on instead

These things were fast enough but felt/sounded dead and messed with my pop (and I'm old so I need all the help I can get).

I've been riding 103a STFs and thought they felt a little soft. Picked up a new set (54mm) 103As and they too felt soft, and a little dead..I know it was brought up in a recent thread where the current STF 103s are not what they used to be, I can attest to that they feel like 95...they don't even chirp well anymore; 101a spits/ricta/OJ feel much harder...