Poll

Spitfire wheels vs bones wheels

Spitfire Wheels
136 (85.5%)
Bones Wheels
23 (14.5%)

Total Members Voted: 159

Author Topic: Spitfire wheels vs bones wheels  (Read 9717 times)

FuzzGNU

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 194
  • The Spectre Haunting SLAP
Re: Spitfire wheels vs bones wheels
« Reply #60 on: May 03, 2022, 07:17:35 PM »
I gave Bones a try again but just puled these jawns off and put some Spitfire OG classics on instead

These things were fast enough but felt/sounded dead and messed with my pop (and I'm old so I need all the help I can get).

Yeah, the 99's definitely have a strange deep deadened sound to them. I like the way the rolled, but the slide was awful enough that I just pulled them off my board too.

I've got hopes for Bones/PP's new wheels though.

I'm with some of you folks on this one: I think Bones have the potential to be better than Spits in specific scenarios, but if you're looking for a wheel that does pretty well in basically any setting, Spitfire F4 99s are the way to go.

You CAN'T beat an SPF 84b wheel in a smooth park, super fast and great grip/slip ratio. And the Bones 99a STFs I have found are really good both on super rough ground and where you need some extra grip. Since I tend to ride mostly transition and have the fortune to have 3 pretty new parks in my area I skate regularly, I've been really loving Bones 84b SPFs for a lot of my skating, and rock the 99a STFs for when I skate curbs and stuff.

I've heard so much great stuff about their park wheels.

STF 103a are great, but really situational since they are too hard for streets.

STF 99a have so much potential, but for me they are unrideable due to how awful their slide is. I love how fast they are and how well they tackle rough streets for being 99a. They tackle streets closer to a 97a.

Expand Quote
I gave Bones a try again but just puled these jawns off and put some Spitfire OG classics on instead

These things were fast enough but felt/sounded dead and messed with my pop (and I'm old so I need all the help I can get).
[close]

I've been riding 103a STFs and thought they felt a little soft. Picked up a new set (54mm) 103As and they too felt soft, and a little dead..I know it was brought up in a recent thread where the current STF 103s are not what they used to be, I can attest to that they feel like 95...they don't even chirp well anymore; 101a spits/ricta/OJ feel much harder...

That's wild. You sure they are 103a? It sounds like you are describing 99a. STF 103a are unmistakably harder than 101a OJ.

If you are 100% sure you bought 103a, then maybe its a packaging/manufacturing error, because that sounds so off base from the 103a's I've rocked. Though to be fair I haven't ridden any in a couple years now.
Skateboarding is the ultimate challenge.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1002
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #61 on: May 03, 2022, 07:43:41 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Yeah, the 99's definitely have a strange deep deadened sound to them. I like the way the rolled, but the slide was awful enough that I just pulled them off my board too.

I've got hopes for Bones/PP's new wheels though.

Expand Quote
I'm with some of you folks on this one: I think Bones have the potential to be better than Spits in specific scenarios, but if you're looking for a wheel that does pretty well in basically any setting, Spitfire F4 99s are the way to go.

You CAN'T beat an SPF 84b wheel in a smooth park, super fast and great grip/slip ratio. And the Bones 99a STFs I have found are really good both on super rough ground and where you need some extra grip. Since I tend to ride mostly transition and have the fortune to have 3 pretty new parks in my area I skate regularly, I've been really loving Bones 84b SPFs for a lot of my skating, and rock the 99a STFs for when I skate curbs and stuff.
[close]

I've heard so much great stuff about their park wheels.

STF 103a are great, but really situational since they are too hard for streets.

STF 99a have so much potential, but for me they are unrideable due to how awful their slide is. I love how fast they are and how well they tackle rough streets for being 99a. They tackle streets closer to a 97a.

Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

I've been riding 103a STFs and thought they felt a little soft. Picked up a new set (54mm) 103As and they too felt soft, and a little dead..I know it was brought up in a recent thread where the current STF 103s are not what they used to be, I can attest to that they feel like 95...they don't even chirp well anymore; 101a spits/ricta/OJ feel much harder...
[close]

That's wild. You sure they are 103a? It sounds like you are describing 99a. STF 103a are unmistakably harder than 101a OJ.

If you are 100% sure you bought 103a, then maybe its a packaging/manufacturing error, because that sounds so off base from the 103a's I've rocked. Though to be fair I haven't ridden any in a couple years now.

They're 103a for sure I have both the 99s and two sets of 103s...the 103s feel really really dead...dry bearings, lots of wheel play...99a spits feel and sound harder...really weird; buddy of mine said they felt really off too...they're also less white, they're not brown like the 99s but they are not as white as they used to be...still a bit off white but for sure less bright.

I've shelved both sets tho, bummed but back on Spit F4s and everythings fine. Thinking about SML AGs

FuzzGNU

« Reply #62 on: May 03, 2022, 07:57:13 PM »

They're 103a for sure I have both the 99s and two sets of 103s...the 103s feel really really dead...dry bearings, lots of wheel play...99a spits feel and sound harder...really weird; buddy of mine said they felt really off too...they're also less white, they're not brown like the 99s but they are not as white as they used to be...still a bit off white but for sure less bright.

I've shelved both sets tho, bummed but back on Spit F4s and everythings fine. Thinking about SML AGs

That is so wild. What the hell is going on over there at Bones?

I've actually got a pair of new-ish Bones 103a on the backburner and you're right, they're definitely off-white. Why would they do that?

Are they really affecting usability of the wheel because Spitfire are trendy right now. Do they really think people are going to switch from Spitfire to Bones because their plasticky looking white wheels are now plasticky looking off-white?

I hope they come to their senses. Maybe their new experimental formula will be the the thing that puts them back in a good place. Spitfire is really lacking in the 95-97a range. Seems like a great place for Bones to call their own. Especially with America's crumbling infrastructure and austerity hellscape. Street/ground are getting too shitty for 99a in much of this dying country.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #63 on: May 03, 2022, 08:09:30 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

That is so wild. What the hell is going on over there at Bones?

I've actually got a pair of new-ish Bones 103a on the backburner and you're right, they're definitely off-white. Why would they do that?

Are they really affecting usability of the wheel because Spitfire are trendy right now. Do they really think people are going to switch from Spitfire to Bones because their plasticky looking white wheels are now plasticky looking off-white?

I hope they come to their senses. Maybe their new experimental formula will be the the thing that puts them back in a good place. Spitfire is really lacking in the 95-97a range. Seems like a great place for Bones to call their own. Especially with America's crumbling infrastructure and austerity hellscape. Street/ground are getting too shitty for 99a in much of this dying country.

The only reason they switched to the natural 99a from the bright ass white of the first ez streets (and fucked up the forula while doing so) was def a marketing maneuver.

Thing is, while small, there was a group that rode bones because they were bright white. The new 103s and 99s are very close...

'old' 103a STF:

'new' 103a STF:

new/current 99a stf

1st gen easy streets:

FuzzGNU

« Reply #64 on: May 03, 2022, 08:20:45 PM »

The only reason they switched to the natural 99a from the bright ass white of the first ez streets (and fucked up the forula while doing so) was def a marketing maneuver.

Thing is, while small, there was a group that rode bones because they were bright white. The new 103s and 99s are very close...

Yeah, it seems so shortsighted.

Here I am... I just want them to skate well. I think bright white Bones look good, I think Spitfires look good. I just want the wheel that lets me skate without having to think about my wheels.

The natural STF 99a are unskateable for me... but based on how people talked about the white 99a, those things are a dream wheel for me. Its wild they discontinued it so quick that I couldn't even try them.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #65 on: May 03, 2022, 08:26:14 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Here I am... I just want them to skate well. I think bright white Bones look good, I think Spitfires look good. I just want the wheel that lets me skate without having to think about my wheels.

The natural STF 99a are unskateable for me... but based on how people talked about the white 99a, those things are a dream wheel for me. Its wild they discontinued it so quick that I couldn't even try them.

Yeah, I've written off the 99a bones for life (unless they bring back the previous formula, which is probably never going to happen). There is no reason to choose them above spit 99a unless you get them for free...and even then I'd sell them and get spits :P

FuzzGNU

« Reply #66 on: May 03, 2022, 08:30:48 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Yeah, I've written off the 99a bones for life (unless they bring back the previous formula, which is probably never going to happen). There is no reason to choose them above spit 99a unless you get them for free...and even then I'd sell them and get spits :P

There ARE "reasons". They are definitely faster and tackle shitty roads better than Spits 99a. But again, the slide is unskateable, what's the point? Insane how bad they fucked that part of the wheel up.

I'm optimistic about Bones turning stuff around though. I've seen so many of their wheels on clearance lately, it has to be a wake-up call for them to change. And again, that new formula is coming out sometime this year... maybe in the next month or two.

cucktard

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 261
« Reply #67 on: May 03, 2022, 08:41:35 PM »
I’m really, really curious about Bones’ new formula they are releasing, 95 or 90a, But that vibrate at an unusually high frequency, allowing for slides.

Apparently it’s been in development for 10 years.
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

FuzzGNU

« Reply #68 on: May 03, 2022, 10:46:29 PM »
I’m really, really curious about Bones’ new formula they are releasing, 95 or 90a, But that vibrate at an unusually high frequency, allowing for slides.

Apparently it’s been in development for 10 years.

I've got a little bit of info on that front. As far as I know it will be 90a, 93a, 95a and 97a. Who knows if will change when its released though.

Velcro Wallet

• Rep: 214
« Reply #69 on: May 03, 2022, 11:45:59 PM »
The 90’s kid in me wants white wheels. Very white. So white that if they started going brown I’d used a white posca pen or something.

I’m not ashamed to admit that. 

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 478
« Reply #70 on: May 04, 2022, 12:16:19 AM »
Bones are cringe, period
YOU are cringe. Bones are far from cringe.
Super Champion Fun Zone

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #71 on: May 07, 2022, 10:58:54 AM »
Tried riding both sets of the 103a STFs yesterday coming off 101 spits for few days (radial slims)...it was horrible.

They might as well be 100/99a just dull feeling/sounding...they still slide great but zero bark, like they've been muted somehow.

Switched over to my hard-ass-still-white Rictas Slims, night and day; compared to the 101a spits the 101a Rictas are more jarring/less forgiving on spotty terrain...love'em or hate'em, they slide great, like a hard ass wheel, just differently than spits.

Poked around and found a new Ricta release that is a spot on V5 shape, 'Orbital Naturals' the 52s are labeled as a mid so clearly it sits between their slims and wides.

https://rictawheels.com/wheels#naturals

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1938
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #73 on: May 09, 2022, 12:37:33 AM »
https://nhsfunfactory.com/products/51mm-reflective-naturals-super-slim-101a-ricta-skateboard-wheels?utm_source=rictawheels.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=product-shop&utm_content=51mm%20Reflective%20Naturals%20Super%20Slim%20101a

The Orbital looks interesting, a skinny conical like a Bones V5.

They even do a Super Slim shape, nice.

I’m a fan of the super slims, been skating them since I switched off stf. Great skinny conical. The mids seem v5/side cut…I’ll know if a few days.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #74 on: May 09, 2022, 01:49:44 AM »

I’m a fan of the super slims, been skating them since I switched off stf. Great skinny conical. The mids seem v5/side cut…I’ll know if a few days.

So kind of like a V1 with a wider riding surface?
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #75 on: May 09, 2022, 09:16:26 AM »
Less rounded sidewall than a V1

They’re much more straight/square but a slight rounded lip, like a radial slim slim

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #76 on: May 09, 2022, 09:37:24 AM »

They’re much more straight/square but a slight rounded lip, like a radial slim slim

You son of a bitch im in

Edit: 51mm got me thinking if I want to punish my bones to try these out.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #77 on: May 09, 2022, 09:52:24 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

You son of a bitch im in

Edit: 51mm got me thinking if I want to punish my bones to try these out.

They're my favorite hard wheel right now (seeing as the last batch of STFs let me down in a big way), and the best slim out there (because it isn't a V3/Satori slim shape/style); they're the Nyjah super slims (52mm) assuming the same width give or take a mm as the 51 SSlims listed.

Did I mention that they're hard?

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=82118.msg3384533#msg3384533 (old thread when I got my first set)

« Last Edit: May 09, 2022, 11:10:59 AM by Xen »

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #78 on: May 10, 2022, 01:37:10 PM »
Tried riding both sets of the 103a STFs yesterday coming off 101 spits for few days (radial slims)...it was horrible.

They might as well be 100/99a just dull feeling/sounding...they still slide great but zero bark, like they've been muted somehow.

Switched over to my hard-ass-still-white Rictas Slims, night and day; compared to the 101a spits the 101a Rictas are more jarring/less forgiving on spotty terrain...love'em or hate'em, they slide great, like a hard ass wheel, just differently than spits.

Poked around and found a new Ricta release that is a spot on V5 shape, 'Orbital Naturals' the 52s are labeled as a mid so clearly it sits between their slims and wides.

https://rictawheels.com/wheels#naturals

shit pic, wheels look totally deformed.

Tad wider than same height bones V5s, essentially the same shape. stoked.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2022, 03:48:00 PM by Xen »