Author Topic: Why are skaters drawn to the arts?  (Read 2651 times)

Garfiled L. Asagna LLC

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -2
Re: Why are skaters drawn to the arts?
« Reply #30 on: June 10, 2021, 03:20:45 PM »
Most people are drawn to art. Even the old weathered conservative heads in my lil farm town love shitty old barnhouse architecture, old signage, antique shopes, the lines of classic cars and a plethora of acoustic stylings, past and present.

There's a guy in my town who makes sculptures out of old rusted farm equipment and scrap salvage. I don't think he's any more eccentric than anyone, definitely could care less about skateboarding. I mean shit, even Adolf had art aspirations. I'm sure alot of people find they have a knack for artistry through skateboarding but I wouldn't look much into more than that. People just dig art. Jerry The King Lawler for example is ridiculously talented and the guy spent his whole life around and culminating a passion for wrastlin. Skateboarding for sure helps culminate a vibe in art but realistically no more more anything else. Inspiration takes on all forms and arts for everyone. Probably pedantic at this point but what even is art, but we've all kinda accepted skateboarding is an art. And if it is than these dudes were already artists to start with.

« Last Edit: June 10, 2021, 03:36:12 PM by Garfiled L. Asagna LLC »

duniwayRobber

• Rep: -140
  • ?
« Reply #31 on: June 10, 2021, 06:21:11 PM »
No one called the pun out yet? Interesting.

I think it's because art doesn't have easily defined metrics, akin to skateboarding. For every thousand people who hate Dane Vaugn's art, one will like it.

I think the Dunning-Kruger effect is also involved.
fuck poutine we eat pussy out here.

conqueso

« Reply #32 on: June 10, 2021, 06:28:35 PM »

ilovegay

• Rep: 9
« Reply #33 on: June 10, 2021, 08:25:50 PM »
people express themselves through art the same way they express themselves through skateboarding and its almost always done through a counter-culture type lens

on the other hand imagine if the norm was for skaters to be obsessed with investment stocks, government jobs and farming

Hey bro just because I am a teacher who is very into his 403b, Roth 403b, and stash portfolio, does not mean I’m not down with the cause!

mynameisnotjeff

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 581
« Reply #34 on: June 10, 2021, 09:03:53 PM »
What else am I gonna do with a rolled ankle or nursing an injury?
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

fs180

• Rep: -267
« Reply #35 on: June 10, 2021, 11:19:59 PM »

I think it's because art doesn't have easily defined metrics, akin to skateboarding. For every thousand people who hate Dane Vaugn's art, one will like it.

Like thousands of people on Instagram like it and 10 people on slap dislike it because they are cunts hating on everything
« Last Edit: June 10, 2021, 11:57:52 PM by fs180 »

Hyliannightmare

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -204
« Reply #36 on: June 10, 2021, 11:49:35 PM »
Hoopin hoopin

Swithflip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -748
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #37 on: June 11, 2021, 05:02:17 AM »
Art, like skateboarding, is something that can be done on your own time with no rules, regulations or dependency on other people

this

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 254
  • tiger style
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #38 on: June 11, 2021, 05:47:07 AM »
not trolling but curious what do other athletic types do for hobbies? i seriously have no idea. for most people it seems they are busy with their careers and then their athletic activity is their hobby. maybe skaters have more free time and creative energy.

i'm into mountain biking, hiking, coding, cooking and for the last 20 years i've always had side projects to tinker with which included skate web sites and magazines. i did a print short lived print magazine that had a staff of 11 for the last issue.  more recently those hobbies became code related and now i've really gotten into entrepreneurship. i'm guessing entrepreneurship is appealing because it's creative and full of posers with shitty fashion ;D

cky enthusiast

« Reply #39 on: June 11, 2021, 06:00:25 AM »

Tommy G

• Rep: -14
« Reply #40 on: June 11, 2021, 06:05:57 AM »
I was an artistic and athletic kid before I even started skateboarding. I drew, played music, and I loved baseball, basketball and tennis. I still draw occasionally, play my bass and go shoot hoops or play tennis but skateboarding is kind of the best of both worlds when it comes to athletics and artistic expression. For other hobbies, I'm a meteorologist so I like forecasting, looking at weather data and I like playing video games. Anything to keep my mind occupied.

skatingisntspecialstupid

• Rep: 57
« Reply #41 on: June 11, 2021, 06:10:14 AM »
Because they saw mark gonzalez do some art one time

Seeing ads in magazines always made me wanna draw though

Don’t dip your head in or your board will end up behind you

duniwayRobber

• Rep: -140
  • ?
« Reply #42 on: June 11, 2021, 07:29:47 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Like thousands of people on Instagram like it and 10 people on slap dislike it because they are cunts hating on everything

I know everyone likes to gang up on you here (especially the ones who pretend to be the most inclusive), but I do wonder why you're so angry all the time.
fuck poutine we eat pussy out here.

exlurker

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 546
« Reply #43 on: June 11, 2021, 09:54:07 AM »
We are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you any different.

HeavyAndExpensive

• Rep: 114
« Reply #44 on: June 11, 2021, 09:59:03 AM »
Was actually thinking the other day when I would log on and see that massive banned stamp next to FS180’s  username.

fortunecattlesteakhouse

• Rep: 91
« Reply #45 on: June 11, 2021, 09:59:54 AM »
dane vaughns painting isnt horrible -looks like a generic coffee shop waller and wouldnt want it but still looks kind of jazzy. or something to that effect. between that and an used bedsheet district 9 prawn graffiti by shawn powers it wouldnt be the latter for false dichotomies sake

Most people are drawn to art. Even the old weathered conservative heads in my lil farm town love shitty old barnhouse architecture, old signage, antique shopes, the lines of classic cars and a plethora of acoustic stylings, past and present.

There's a guy in my town who makes sculptures out of old rusted farm equipment and scrap salvage. I don't think he's any more eccentric than anyone, definitely could care less about skateboarding. I mean shit, even Adolf had art aspirations. I'm sure alot of people find they have a knack for artistry through skateboarding but I wouldn't look much into more than that. People just dig art. Jerry The King Lawler for example is ridiculously talented and the guy spent his whole life around and culminating a passion for wrastlin. Skateboarding for sure helps culminate a vibe in art but realistically no more more anything else. Inspiration takes on all forms and arts for everyone. Probably pedantic at this point but what even is art, but we've all kinda accepted skateboarding is an art. And if it is than these dudes were already artists to start with.

folk art is corny but kind of cool. id be stoked if my grandparents werent dead and made funny little pieces for their yard. weird homes was a decent show to have running in the background

bump this cringe for the culture

fuhkin_powahfood_kid

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1352
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #46 on: June 11, 2021, 10:05:37 AM »
In the US anyways, many kids introduction is to one or the other, art or sports that is. As a kid and as someone who has worked in public schools, I've seen very few young folks who are encouraged or even enabled to do both. Sports kids free time is occupies with sports, which in the States, is at least on the surface, valued as far greater than the arts. What programs get cut first? The Arts. Sports rarely lose funding, again because of a perceived social value. I've heard innumerable times just how impossible or hard it is to be an artist or make money as an artist, to go to college for a real degree, etc, but man, I have never heard or heard of a kid being discouraged from chasing a sports dream until they're just a little to old to get scouted or there is a really bad injury.

So, I think traditionally, kids that start skating haven't been the sports folks. There has been a bit more social rejection, isolation, less fitting into the mainstream mold, and not all the time of course, but this sense of even self perceived marginalization can lead to an interest in arts and other solo pursuits.

@Youoverthere is spot on with the skateboarding as art too. Skate->destroy->create
If you plant ice, you’re gonna harvest wind

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 651
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #47 on: June 11, 2021, 10:12:01 AM »
will answer this as practically as possible;

skateboarding takes a lot of shit to line up for it to work out:

-weather has to be on point
-your setup has to be working (gotta have shoes that arnet completley blown out too)
-have to not be hurt
-get kicked out
-homey cant make it
-gotta be feeling like it
-cant be too tired
-cant be at school / work

so what can you do? play video games, tech deck, snowskate, watch skate videos - can get kinda boring after awhile if that is the only thing you are interested in. playing music is like playing video games to me except in a different universe if that makes any sense. it is also like skateboarding - there is a lot of execution involved (for those who dont know, i was one of the top Street Fighter players in my country for a long time)

i personally have never been drawn much to super artsy stuff, like i dont really fuck with museums too much, but i would definintely check it out if someone asked me. or an art gallery or w/e.

i never was into drawing / painting much, but now i have 2 kids, i am doing it a lot with them. I actually have this boombox graphic that i have been drawing for like years just when bored randomly and its pretty mcuh the only thing i ever draw. but now i really want to put this graphic onto a shirt, so that has my mind going like what else could i do. i want to give some away to my friends / skaters in the area that i am hyped on. woudnt cost me too much to print a bunch of shirts and give a couple away, i think it might stoke someone to get something even though its small i would like that feeling

the other thing i have been doing lately is rub bricking the fuck + spray lacquering crusty ledges.. it is my new favorite thing. i dont really have the means to start doing concrete stuff (yet) but its something i always wanted to do and now im finding out of necessity DIY is where its at and super fun.  landing a trick you envisoned on a crust ass spot that YOU BUILT yourself is such an insane feeling.
ONTARIO CANADA

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 247
« Reply #48 on: June 11, 2021, 11:46:49 AM »
Arts and skateboarding are heavily linked. Especially graffiti and skating. Part of it is, I think people who like skating tend to not be into team activities like traditional sports but I'm sure tons of skaters have other hobbies they don't mention. For example, I know Billy Marks and Wade DeSarmo play rec league hockey for example. Rowley tracks/hunts. @DGKALIS and Kerry Getz are big into cars. So, if you look around you see tons of other interests. A bunch of skaters are big basketball or Lakers fans (Koston, @cliff ) Even if they aren't promoted as much.

I also don't think some of the other hobbies people have they don't really want to put out there. I doubt many pros want to say their hobby is playing COD online all day (outside of Mike-Mo) or playing online poker.

lk130

• Topic and Post Probation
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -829
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #49 on: June 11, 2021, 04:01:55 PM »
Or your just wanting to sweat and will work like a person from the 1940's
I need Cariuma -Me

yungxmulaxbaby

brokenarm

« Reply #50 on: June 11, 2021, 05:38:51 PM »

Damn that dude is shredding. Could see him on A Bathing Ape

Chavo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 217
« Reply #51 on: June 11, 2021, 05:47:45 PM »
Skateboarding is art

My skateboard is the brush and the streets are my canvas.

Madam, I'm Adam

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1359
« Reply #52 on: June 11, 2021, 07:03:08 PM »
"I'm very athletic, I enjoy the arts"

pro club blanks

« Reply #53 on: June 11, 2021, 08:08:49 PM »

Pedro Dolphino on Krooked, confirmed

mushroom slice

« Reply #54 on: June 14, 2021, 10:47:23 AM »
I always thought it was cuz if all the weed we smoke
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ORz_n0mY77w

Youoverthere

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #55 on: June 14, 2021, 09:18:16 PM »
Skateboarding is art
lizard king is an artist? Andy Roy is an artist? Ha! Would we even call them athletes? I was talking to a random on YouTube about this but it was the opposite ie
If skateboarding is a sport, are Chris milic, Pontus, and Ben kadow athletes? Skateboarding is what you choose it to be.

it must be crazy when chico sells you something and the tables switch from "give me my money chico" to "giving my money to chico"

JANUS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 557
« Reply #56 on: June 15, 2021, 06:30:21 AM »
Art has less maths.
If you can't handle me at my Marc Johnson, you don't deserve me at my Bobby Puleo.

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 380
« Reply #57 on: June 15, 2021, 11:45:21 PM »
The unpopular answer but one that touches on some truth is:

1. Art has a low barrier to entry (insert classic’what is art?’ discussion)
    2. Skate culture is decidedly not intellectual (it’s changing, but generally the exception is for skaters to     have degrees), so skaters that may have otherwise been drawn to some random field or pursuit as a side passion (say computer science or gene-sequencing) lack the exposure or background required, and hence go towards pursuits with lower barriers to entry (see 1).

Of course other externals confound these points specifically  (e.g. current math education does a poor job of teaching interesting material, education quality has high variance, different interests yield more social capital).

Also many of skating’s current legends were themselves into art, so the lagged influence among current practitioners is somewhat natural and expected.

What’s your goal with a response like this? You clearly have not understanding of the actual art world and market.

I can’t imagine you’re over 18 with a post like that, so maybe I’m the clown here for responding at all, especially considering your comment that “the arts have a lower barrier to entry” when there’s ample evidence to show that high art and even just selling enough art to support yourself and be seen as respectable prove that’s not true.

cky enthusiast

« Reply #58 on: June 16, 2021, 05:31:00 AM »
i think he meant low barrier to entry as in anyone can start making art if they feel the creative impulse, no need to load your diaper cause you aren’t gettin gallery shows

johnes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -237
« Reply #59 on: June 16, 2021, 06:02:15 AM »
Maybe skaters are drawn to the arts because both things are fun and require patience.

My current hobbies outside of skating are playing pool and working out. I have considered myself a musician before, like in my early to mid 20s but I haven’t considered myself that in a long time. I’m generally pretty bad at art in general.
There have been plenty of years of my life where I had no hobbies outside of skating at all.
If I hadn’t started playing pool and working out regularly over the last couple months, I wouldn’t have any hobby outside of skating.

« Last Edit: June 16, 2021, 06:24:04 AM by johnes »
I’m a fat Siamese cat.