Author Topic: Idaho/Montana skate road trip  (Read 685 times)

nwgrandpapa

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -1
  • My friend Mike is on here
Idaho/Montana skate road trip
« on: June 11, 2021, 08:49:46 AM »
ayyy pals, my bois and i are doing a skate road trip from the nw out through idaho and montana to hit some new evergreen parks. I'd for sure like to get in an equal amount of street skating. any city/spot suggestions people have from out in idaho/montana?

bigbevev

• Rep: -14
Re: Idaho/Montana skate road trip
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2021, 09:11:06 AM »
Coure d alene skatepark is super fun if you can make it there, as is hillyard in spokane if you like transition.

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 277
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2021, 01:31:57 PM »
Coure d alene skatepark is super fun if you can make it there

I stopped there on the way back from Montana last fall.  Holy shit it's slick.  I bailed in the back bowl and my foot slid on the transition while running out.  I ended up spraining my foot and was off skating for about 6 weeks, and a few more before I could do any flips.

nwgrandpapa

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2021, 12:00:06 AM »
NGL the street skating in MT is non existent and some of those towns can be kind of sketchy to "outsiders".  Even whitefish/kalispell which I found surprising.  but that is 2017 info

next week I'm going on an Evergreen tour through MT but coming from the east so I could report back but maybe it will be too late

for sure let me know of any insights you get from your trip! im heading out in July

pointandclick

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 243
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2021, 01:38:46 PM »
Expand Quote
NGL the street skating in MT is non existent and some of those towns can be kind of sketchy to "outsiders".  Even whitefish/kalispell which I found surprising.  but that is 2017 info

next week I'm going on an Evergreen tour through MT but coming from the east so I could report back but maybe it will be too late
[close]

for sure let me know of any insights you get from your trip! im heading out in July
theres some interesting street stuff to skate in shelby, greatfalls and helena. did a trip maybe 5 or 6 years ago. cops were chill but the townies will be a problem, even if youre from canada they aint about it.

Churg

• Rep: 3
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2021, 02:53:17 PM »
Montana native here.

Missoula and Helena have good parks and some decent street skating. Best towns to go out for beers too. Hit up Board of Missoula and they’ll set you straight. I’m from great falls. We have a huge park but the town is a fucking dumpster.

Also I’ve heard nothing but good things about Boise and the dudes at Prestige.

Churg

• Rep: 3
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2021, 07:58:39 AM »
Yes. The Sip n Dip. Prepare to be underwhelmed.

mtvic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -59
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2021, 08:46:40 AM »

Oh man you’re very wrong about this. There are so many street spots in both states it’s nuts. Here are a number of spots in Montana.

Missoula: probably the least amount of street spots of any city in Montana but also the best place to be social wise. Caras park has a really dope big 3 stair that is similar to Wallenberg. Russell street near the mountain has an amazing 2 stair with banks on both sides. The courthouse has nice recycled plastic benches, 5 in a row and you can get very creative. The campus has an ample amount of spots as well from a big manny pad to plenty of stair sets

Butte:  The best spots for any city are in Butte and you can legally drink beer on the street. Take the Montana avenue exit off of i90 and the exit overpass has an amazing gap. Proceed up the street and you’ll find an sf style hill with all sorts of amazing spots that are awesome to film on. The college campus has a perfect 15 stair rail if you’re trying to send something. They also have a ditch that is like a skatepark, it’s freaking nuts

Bozeman: actually Bozeman has even less street spots than Missoula but the campus is fun for sure.

Billings: if you’re wanting to street skate this is where you need to be. Sky view high school has amazing benches across a grass gap. Downtown is loaded with so many spots that you can just skate anywhere and will find something.  The heights has three separate gaps that are amazing. Go to Mackenzie river pizza and you’ll see a huge grass gap in front of McDonald’s and then a smaller one in the parking lot. Keep driving up the road about 1/2 mile on the same side is the old “video library gap”. It’s like a seven stair and super fun. Across the street from there is a really cool flat bar over a gap you skate over. Castle rock junior high has what looks like a skate park in the back of the school. Tons of stuff to skate there.

Idaho: for Idaho I suggest Idaho falls and Pocatello. IF auditorium has the finest handrails a five stair and a nine stair. The downtown has all sorts of cool stuff to skate and the place is rapidly growing so there are always new spots. Every high school is loaded with stuff worth checking out

Pocatello: go to campus. It’s a blast. 

Cthunderw

• Rep: 16
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2021, 09:29:25 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Oh man you’re very wrong about this. There are so many street spots in both states it’s nuts. Here are a number of spots in Montana.

Missoula: probably the least amount of street spots of any city in Montana but also the best place to be social wise. Caras park has a really dope big 3 stair that is similar to Wallenberg. Russell street near the mountain has an amazing 2 stair with banks on both sides. The courthouse has nice recycled plastic benches, 5 in a row and you can get very creative. The campus has an ample amount of spots as well from a big manny pad to plenty of stair sets

Forgot the side of Feruqi's!

mushroom slice

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2021, 09:29:21 PM »
There is a skatepark in Idaho city. Kinda fun.

nwgrandpapa

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2021, 08:33:09 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Butte:  The best spots for any city are in Butte and you can legally drink beer on the street. Take the Montana avenue exit off of i90 and the exit overpass has an amazing gap. Proceed up the street and you’ll find an sf style hill with all sorts of amazing spots that are awesome to film on. The college campus has a perfect 15 stair rail if you’re trying to send something. They also have a ditch that is like a skatepark, it’s freaking nuts

Bozeman: actually Bozeman has even less street spots than Missoula but the campus is fun for sure.

Billings: if you’re wanting to street skate this is where you need to be. Sky view high school has amazing benches across a grass gap. Downtown is loaded with so many spots that you can just skate anywhere and will find something.  The heights has three separate gaps that are amazing. Go to Mackenzie river pizza and you’ll see a huge grass gap in front of McDonald’s and then a smaller one in the parking lot. Keep driving up the road about 1/2 mile on the same side is the old “video library gap”. It’s like a seven stair and super fun. Across the street from there is a really cool flat bar over a gap you skate over. Castle rock junior high has what looks like a skate park in the back of the school. Tons of stuff to skate there.

Idaho: for Idaho I suggest Idaho falls and Pocatello. IF auditorium has the finest handrails a five stair and a nine stair. The downtown has all sorts of cool stuff to skate and the place is rapidly growing so there are always new spots. Every high school is loaded with stuff worth checking out

Pocatello: go to campus. It’s a blast.

damn this is a great friggin list. got me trawling google maps to get some screen grabs in prep! thanks pal!