Author Topic: Plain/minimal Shake Junt griptape?  (Read 1209 times)

al_cvbrera

Plain/minimal Shake Junt griptape?
« on: June 13, 2021, 11:21:12 AM »
Shake Junt is my preferred gripape. It isn’t too grippy like Mob and isn’t too slick like Jessup. It’s just where I like it. I find that I skate at my best when I skate Shake Junt. It has the perfect responsiveness for how I personally flick. But theres just one thing...

The design is simply really fucking ugly. Anyone know of any place to get some without the obnoxious design? I already have the “Lowkey” grip in the original colorway on my new deck that I skated for a while but switched out to an older board that I wanna get the full life out of.

If theres any place to get the Figgy shake junt grip, the one with the completely blacked out fonts, please let me know.
I’ll drop a couple pics of the 2 most lowkey/minimal Shake Junt grip I was able to get.

« Last Edit: June 13, 2021, 11:47:14 AM by al_cvbrera »

camel filters

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1293
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: Plain/minimal Shake Junt griptape?
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2021, 12:16:42 PM »
If you order a deck from baker's site, the grip they give you is a plain black grip with no branding on the backing paper. I assume this is the same stuff as shake junt since its all distributed there.

Or you can get this die cut version which is less obnoxious.
https://www.skatewarehouse.com/Shake_Junt_Die_Cut_Griptape/descpage-SJDCGT.html

al_cvbrera

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2021, 12:42:49 PM »
If you order a deck from baker's site, the grip they give you is a plain black grip with no branding on the backing paper. I assume this is the same stuff as shake junt since its all distributed there.

woah thanks. i’d say its fair to assume that grip that comes with the board is unbranded Shake Junt grip since it is from Baker Boys. Have you ever felt the included grip out and compared it to regular Shake Junt? Like is the grit level and grit distribution the same? I’m pretty sure its the same stuff, I just wanna be completely sure.

If only they would just come out with some plain grip for the masses and I didn’t have to search the annals of Slap to figure this out.

Noble Experiment

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 284
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2021, 01:14:10 PM »
Just get the diecut version and leave it in instead of popping it out. You can barely see it.

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 846
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2021, 04:00:28 PM »
I went through the trouble of sourcing just plain black from sj because I wanted to try it out and it was OK. Really thin and not very course, it kind of felt like a jessup alternative.

I would say get miles if you want to try something like that out. The plastic razor is a useless gimmick but the grip itself is really good so far. I smashed a brownie into mine the first time I skated it and just kind of wiped it off and kept skating and now you can barely tell and it still skates fine.

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1073
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2021, 05:41:39 PM »
Try plain grizzly. It’s fucking great

Joe Davola

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 60
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2021, 05:52:19 PM »
Browniefart Cleangrip

TastyBurrito

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 546
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2021, 07:47:24 PM »
I went through the trouble of sourcing just plain black from sj because I wanted to try it out and it was OK. Really thin and not very course, it kind of felt like a jessup alternative.

I would say get miles if you want to try something like that out. The plastic razor is a useless gimmick but the grip itself is really good so far. I smashed a brownie into mine the first time I skated it and just kind of wiped it off and kept skating and now you can barely tell and it still skates fine.

Why would you waste a brownie like that?

Lloyd Braun

• Rep: 80
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2021, 08:52:19 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Was wondering the same thing..

ish_wav

• Rep: 97
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2021, 06:53:37 AM »

I’m pretty positive this is the case. In 2018ish I ordered a Deathwish deck and it came with plain back grip BUT the backing did say shake junt. The most recent decks I’ve ordered (Nov 2020) it was the same grip, just unbranded.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1000
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2021, 11:00:45 AM »
Try plain grizzly. It’s fucking great

Second this.

Superior grip is also really bood.

Don't forget that Black Magic still exists as well.

Plenty of in-between Jessup and Mob options.

flintstagram

• Rep: 84
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2021, 08:51:45 AM »
I thought jessup was who actually made sj grip. Always thought it was just rebranded.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 36
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2021, 11:49:30 AM »
Ashes is the best griptape ever imo. Not sure if they're still around tho.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

Krooked antihero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 158
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2021, 12:47:48 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Was wondering the same thing..
Maybe he wanted his trick to be higher?
europe's like the capitol of england and france and whatever

It sucks getting old.

PrettyRicki

• Rep: 10
  • Symmetrical boards <3
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2021, 12:56:45 PM »
Jessup also has their Ultra griptape which is suppose to be grippier. Never tried it myself since regular Jessup grip has always worked well for me.

al_cvbrera

« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2021, 01:02:49 PM »
Jessup also has their Ultra griptape which is suppose to be grippier. Never tried it myself since regular Jessup grip has always worked well for me.
yeah i heard of it before. not much of a fan of how jessup shines underneath light. throws me off. shake junt shines a little bit too but it isnt as distracting for me as jessup.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 36
  • &#633;&#477;&#652;&#477;&#633;o&#607; llo&#7450;
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2021, 01:58:27 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
yeah i heard of it before. not much of a fan of how jessup shines underneath light. throws me off. shake junt shines a little bit too but it isnt as distracting for me as jessup.
Last 2 boards I skated they had ultra. Is pretty decent x is like mob kind of. No shiny at all and stays better on board that the regular one.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.