Author Topic: Article/interview of pro's/am's saying they had to change  (Read 776 times)

WadeDes

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -1
Article/interview of pro's/am's saying they had to change
« on: June 14, 2021, 08:05:47 AM »
I am currently looking for any material about pro's telling about how they had to change due to becoming an icon. I am currently writing a paper for school about the ethics of fame and I thought it would be nice to do it about skateboarding and take some cases of pro's who talked about this subject in an interview.
So if anyone could think of such a thing let me know.

aàáâäæãå

• Rep: -2
Re: Article/interview of pro's/am's saying they had to change
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2021, 07:54:14 PM »
The thing about skateboarding is you’ll have a hard time finding people who’re expected to change because of success. With that being said, this isn’t exactly what you’re looking for, but it is related to character change.

https://www.thrashermagazine.com/articles/over-it-article/

blurst_of_times

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 794
    • Skateboarding Magazine Scans avatar image
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2021, 05:18:16 AM »
I am currently looking for any material about pro's telling about how they had to change due to becoming an icon. I am currently writing a paper for school about the ethics of fame and I thought it would be nice to do it about skateboarding and take some cases of pro's who talked about this subject in an interview.
So if anyone could think of such a thing let me know.
What's your deadline?
There was no wire. Clark's planet needed him.
 Note: Clark Hassler died on the way back to his home planet.

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2021, 05:29:16 AM »
The latest Bastien Salabanzi interview may be relevant to your interests: https://www.freeskatemag.com/2021/06/07/the-american-dream-part-5-of-6-bastien-salabanzi/ bringing up his delusions as a French kid making it as an international pro skater early on, struggling with the system for a bit and then realizing he had to watch his attitude because people were actually watching more than just his skating but also his character.

WadeDes

• Rep: -1
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2021, 03:15:08 AM »
What's your deadline?

coming Monday

The latest Bastien Salabanzi interview may be relevant to your interests: https://www.freeskatemag.com/2021/06/07/the-american-dream-part-5-of-6-bastien-salabanzi/ bringing up his delusions as a French kid making it as an international pro skater early on, struggling with the system for a bit and then realizing he had to watch his attitude because people were actually watching more than just his skating but also his character.

thank you very much this is very helpful

The thing about skateboarding is you’ll have a hard time finding people who’re expected to change because of success. With that being said, this isn’t exactly what you’re looking for, but it is related to character change.

https://www.thrashermagazine.com/articles/over-it-article/

thank you, it bit less about what I had in mind but still valuable.

Mostly I am looking for statements of pro's that their sponsors did not want them smoking weed, say certain things, hold up a certain image, this kind of examples. So for instance one could imagine that Element does not want Nyjah to openly talk about drugs and after he left he talks about that in an interview about he felt that the brand was expecting something he did not want to contribute/commit to. As if he had to give up some part of his individual identity or else the company would drop him which would result in less changes of having a professional career. (oke nyjah is not the best example but take jamie foy in the beginning of his career for example).