Author Topic: BATB12  (Read 307397 times)

ndsr

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 164
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: BATB12
« Reply #1770 on: September 21, 2021, 11:18:02 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

How BATB end up at this state?
[close]

I was punched once in the mangucci and it was painful but not nearly as painful as watching this Mangucci try to set up or try to flip his bloard

I love how this game came in the same week that Berra wrote that speech in GiftedHater's video about how "sKaTiNg uSeD t0 bE AbOuT TaLeNt!"
[close]

Who the fuck was the clown who started the game with an ollie, I cant even remember the last time I saw a game of skate that started with an ollie.
[close]
made me laugh...was at the park this weekend and some kids(around 13 and obviously just starting to skate) playing skate and it was all ollies and bonelesses. They could have given gucci mane a run :P

drcroc

« Reply #1771 on: September 21, 2021, 12:05:25 PM »
If I was Mangucci I'm definitely going up to Spencer Barton before the game and telling him what limited bag of tricks I have. So I have a chance at making myself look as good as possible.

Plenty of slappers talking a big game who probably can't switch Ollie or kickflip. His nollie wasn't the greatest though.

On the other hand, if I knew I was gonna be in BATB id probably have at least 180 heels down and some 3 shuv variations ready. Maybe a fakie heel...

But when you're clearly over matched and the dude whips a perfect nollie bigspin heel you really have nowhere to go.

Although Manguccis setups did look way off on some of those tricks. Whatever. This didn't bother me at all. It's what a game of skate tends to look like for the average scrubs out there, myself included.

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1958
« Reply #1772 on: September 21, 2021, 12:42:55 PM »
If I was Mangucci I'm definitely going up to Spencer Barton before the game and telling him what limited bag of tricks I have. So I have a chance at making myself look as good as possible.

Plenty of slappers talking a big game who probably can't switch Ollie or kickflip. His nollie wasn't the greatest though.

On the other hand, if I knew I was gonna be in BATB id probably have at least 180 heels down and some 3 shuv variations ready. Maybe a fakie heel...

But when you're clearly over matched and the dude whips a perfect nollie bigspin heel you really have nowhere to go.

Although Manguccis setups did look way off on some of those tricks. Whatever. This didn't bother me at all. It's what a game of skate tends to look like for the average scrubs out there, myself included.

That's probably why it's not a good idea to invite "average scrubs" to a worldwide tournament that generally hosts some of the actual best skaters in the world. You're talking as if he had a gun to his head to participate in this thing when he didn't have to. If you get invited to a global competition that you're outrageously underqualified for, you can either say "no" to protect your dignity, or you can go cash in on some views and attention, but you can't have both.

Also, again, this game getting made fun of is perfectly appropriate when it comes days after Berra said this:
"It used to be you had to be a good skater or someone that contributed to the skateboarding eco-system in some kind of way, and that's how you earned your voice..."

ice nine

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -308
« Reply #1773 on: September 21, 2021, 12:51:29 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

That's probably why it's not a good idea to invite "average scrubs" to a worldwide tournament that generally hosts some of the actual best skaters in the world. You're talking as if he had a gun to his head to participate in this thing when he didn't have to. If you get invited to a global competition that you're outrageously underqualified for, you can either say "no" to protect your dignity, or you can go cash in on some views and attention, but you can't have both.

Also, again, this game getting made fun of is perfectly appropriate when it comes days after Berra said this:
"It used to be you had to be a good skater or someone that contributed to the skateboarding eco-system in some kind of way, and that's how you earned your voice..."

maybe this whole influencer bracket is just berra trying to shame/embarass them? maybe he wants them to get destroyed. to harken back to when skating was tipped a bit more towards skill rather than image. berras petty enough, i could see it
I;m sure i;m not the only dc/monster/subaru type guy here

ticklefingers

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -217
  • middleweight lurker
« Reply #1774 on: September 21, 2021, 12:54:47 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
maybe this whole influencer bracket is just berra trying to shame/embarass them? maybe he wants them to get destroyed. to harken back to when skating was tipped a bit more towards skill rather than image. berras petty enough, i could see it

*embarrass

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 143
« Reply #1775 on: September 21, 2021, 01:09:05 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

The expectation in a game of skate is that you can match someones skills, if you go into a well known skateparks contest id expect you to be able to know nollie variations 

drcroc

« Reply #1776 on: September 21, 2021, 03:12:21 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

The expectation in a game of skate is that you can match someones skills, if you go into a well known skateparks contest id expect you to be able to know nollie variations

I've kind of wondered what exact tricks do you need to have on lock to be considered pro level or in this case, good enough to be in BATB.

So we've gotten as far as...

Ollie, Kickflip, heelflip, Tre-flip in (reg, switch, fakie, nollie)
Maybe add in Big spins also?

Cool Ceith

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 614
  • Did someone say sassy?
« Reply #1777 on: September 21, 2021, 03:40:29 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
Now you're thinking like Borra  ;D
But really, the thinking was that each influencer's community would add X amount of views to every battle. The happy accident is that these trainwreck influencer battles attract a lot of hate-watching, further boosting those impressions cha ching!

DanCorteseFromMTVSports

• Rep: 280
« Reply #1778 on: September 21, 2021, 07:00:40 PM »
Years ago, I was at a job where I told everyone I knew how to code/do web shit. I would mention from time to time "Yea i know how to do that...I can totally do that..." I did not. The thing is they had a guy who would code so no one could call me on my shit. Until one day, my dude quit. And then everyone looked at me...

I feel like Gucci got caught in a similar situation. However, unlike my solution, panicked googling on a phone in the bathroom won't grant you a way out/a switch fs flip.

ungzilla

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 983
« Reply #1779 on: September 21, 2021, 07:57:48 PM »
jokes on you i just panic googled switch fs flips and now i have them on lock

Red Eyed Swimmer

• Rep: 2
« Reply #1780 on: September 21, 2021, 08:15:19 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

I've kind of wondered what exact tricks do you need to have on lock to be considered pro level or in this case, good enough to be in BATB.

So we've gotten as far as...

Ollie, Kickflip, heelflip, Tre-flip in (reg, switch, fakie, nollie)
Maybe add in Big spins also?
maybe at your local you can get a letter on someone with those but if you're talking flow level and above you're going to need all you mentioned plus some of the more fringe tricks like bigger flips, late flips etc

Yonnycage

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -78
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1781 on: September 21, 2021, 08:23:39 PM »
I mean compared to some of the complete scrubs in this years’ bracket none of us would get far in even batb1 with just the straight 16. Mike mo was still taking out Chico, Carroll, Furby, Benny Fairfax and Billy Marks and if you got lucky back then you’d get paired up against Chad Tim Tim or Danny Supa and still get washed by the 2nd round. This year is literally just skatepark kids who are all aesthetic and no substance or talent and that’s how we’d win before eventually getting paired with the Joslins or Pudwills.

drcroc

« Reply #1782 on: September 21, 2021, 08:29:18 PM »
I mean compared to some of the complete scrubs in this years’ bracket none of us would get far in even batb1 with just the straight 16. Mike mo was still taking out Chico, Carroll, Furby, Benny Fairfax and Billy Marks and if you got lucky back then you’d get paired up against Chad Tim Tim or Danny Supa and still get washed by the 2nd round. This year is literally just skatepark kids who are all aesthetic and no substance or talent and that’s how we’d win before eventually getting paired with the Joslins or Pudwills.

You could always win the rock/paper/scissors and start doing some more obscure tricks that people never practice and might start winning with that.

Ollie one-foot 180s...  Different body varials... Pressure flips... Other weird stuff.  I don't know why people would hate on someone doing poorly in this competition... It's just skating at the end of the day... Who cares.

Allez_Jambon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 146
« Reply #1783 on: September 21, 2021, 08:35:58 PM »
Was the goal for all of this to have a larger viewership to introduce people with lots of followers? I'm wondering if there are kids or worse yet, "adult" skateboarders who live in the braille/tiktok bubble who are equally unaware of some of the pros than we are of the influencers. TBH I don't think I know a good amount of the Joes.

djoekr

• Rep: 294
« Reply #1784 on: September 21, 2021, 11:32:29 PM »
Was the goal for all of this to have a larger viewership to introduce people with lots of followers? I'm wondering if there are kids or worse yet, "adult" skateboarders who live in the braille/tiktok bubble who are equally unaware of some of the pros than we are of the influencers. TBH I don't think I know a good amount of the Joes.

I think that we underestimate the amount of skaters who solely rely on YouTube/Instagram for skate content. In my local scene I'm one of the only guys to watch full lengths, the rest gets their content exclusively from YouTubers. It's not like they're beginners or really young either. We're talking over 25 and able to do lazer/hardflips, but still haven't seen any part except for Johnny Giger videos.
Skateboarding is a joke
And if you think otherwise
you're fucked in the head

It's not that serious -
Go fast, catch a frontside
And remember why you love it

somethingmustbreaknow

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 491
« Reply #1785 on: September 21, 2021, 11:38:04 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]
*embarrass
*emberrass
fixed it for you

Spirit

• Rep: -20
  • Personal Text
« Reply #1786 on: September 22, 2021, 06:46:17 AM »
Damn, is it me or Spencer's voice is kind of hypnotizing? Dude probably has tons of testosterone and a massive schlong.
Go away Spencer

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1787 on: September 22, 2021, 11:37:55 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I think that we underestimate the amount of skaters who solely rely on YouTube/Instagram for skate content. In my local scene I'm one of the only guys to watch full lengths, the rest gets their content exclusively from YouTubers. It's not like they're beginners or really young either. We're talking over 25 and able to do lazer/hardflips, but still haven't seen any part except for Johnny Giger videos.

I dont think so at all, you've got to live under a rock if you are unaware of whats on youtube and instagram, Dont need to know all of them, but some of those influencers are recommended on youtube and i usually hard pass them.  I got frustrated with insta lately because of the amount of berrics posts I kept getting on my feed (most are retweets from other skaters and barely any shit from their park)

finknoos

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -170
  • Typos here there and everywhere
« Reply #1788 on: September 23, 2021, 04:22:17 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I dont think so at all, you've got to live under a rock if you are unaware of whats on youtube and instagram, Dont need to know all of them, but some of those influencers are recommended on youtube and i usually hard pass them.  I got frustrated with insta lately because of the amount of berrics posts I kept getting on my feed (most are retweets from other skaters and barely any shit from their park)

Honestly i've only recognised a very small handfull of people in this competition so far.

Spirit

• Rep: -20
  • Personal Text
« Reply #1789 on: September 23, 2021, 05:12:41 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Honestly i've only recognised a very small handfull of people in this competition so far.

Let me ask this, do you use IG and YouTube often or are you focused on other things?

Arto!Arto!WakeUp!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 185
« Reply #1790 on: September 23, 2021, 05:17:16 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

yeah, i think you may have a point. i recently graduated to chit chat status with some of the better kids at the local in the town i'm staying in for a while. i was asking who they were into, dropping names of current big hitters on trendy teams, desperate not to look like some past it loser stuck in the early 00's: nik stain, kyle wilson, justin henry, blah, blah, blah. total blank stares. they didn't know about any of that. they were into those hop king dudes. these weren't like little kids either, 16-18.

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1198
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #1791 on: September 23, 2021, 05:36:21 AM »
That’s why I don’t talk to anyone under the age of 30.
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

djoekr

• Rep: 294
« Reply #1792 on: September 23, 2021, 05:38:17 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

yeah, i think you may have a point. i recently graduated to chit chat status with some of the better kids at the local in the town i'm staying in for a while. i was asking who they were into, dropping names of current big hitters on trendy teams, desperate not to look like some past it loser stuck in the early 00's: nik stain, kyle wilson, justin henry, blah, blah, blah. total blank stares. they didn't know about any of that. they were into those hop king dudes. these weren't like little kids either, 16-18.

Yeah that's what I meant. The market for skaters who aren't really into the whole history and culture is probably way bigger than the handful of core skaters, hence why every wacky Primitive collab outsells most companies. I'm not even hating, I'm glad that people are out there on a board, but I wish that there were some locals with whom I could nerd out about obscure parts and stuff.
Skateboarding is a joke
And if you think otherwise
you're fucked in the head

It's not that serious -
Go fast, catch a frontside
And remember why you love it

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1793 on: September 23, 2021, 07:23:20 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Yeah that's what I meant. The market for skaters who aren't really into the whole history and culture is probably way bigger than the handful of core skaters, hence why every wacky Primitive collab outsells most companies. I'm not even hating, I'm glad that people are out there on a board, but I wish that there were some locals with whom I could nerd out about obscure parts and stuff.

To be fair in the 90s when I was 15-21 all we cared about was Koston and Shorty's team

Lou Strux

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2197
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #1794 on: September 23, 2021, 08:19:48 AM »
That’s why I don’t talk to anyone under the age of 30.
How it is for me.^^^

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

finknoos

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -170
  • Typos here there and everywhere
« Reply #1795 on: September 24, 2021, 08:08:59 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Let me ask this, do you use IG and YouTube often or are you focused on other things?

Yeah i use both pretty regularly, but I dont follow a huge amount of people on instagram and most of them are photographers not skaters, and youtube is mainly for podcasts / web series.

dallou

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 160
    • Music avatar image
« Reply #1796 on: September 24, 2021, 08:09:17 AM »

should be nice
check my music

Enrico Pallazzo

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Rep: 206
« Reply #1797 on: September 24, 2021, 08:20:35 AM »

should be nice

You know this is a well loved competition by viewers and pros alike when the hype up video has both contestants admitting in so many words that they wanted nothing to do with it and were effectively forced in.

dannyprovolone

« Reply #1798 on: September 24, 2021, 08:38:47 AM »
billy marks probably hasnt even skated since like 2010

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -761
« Reply #1799 on: September 24, 2021, 08:40:49 AM »
Expand Quote

should be nice
[close]

You know this is a well loved competition by viewers and pros alike when the hype up video has both contestants admitting in so many words that they wanted nothing to do with it and were effectively forced in.

I actually can't believe what I just heard haha

Why on earth would berrics leave that in there
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in