Author Topic: Houseplants  (Read 1413 times)

DaleSr

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1444
Houseplants
« on: June 15, 2021, 01:39:53 AM »
Any of you guys keep houseplants? At the beginning of the pandemic i was trying to keep a fiddle leaf but it died. I've had success with pothos, crotons, two different dracenas, a big monsterra and a big snake plant but fiddle leaf figs seem super picky.

Bunk Moreland

Re: Houseplants
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2021, 02:15:38 AM »
My wife went fucking nuts over the last year with plants. We have a ton, and I'm honestly scared to find out how much she spent on house plants. It's her thing now though, and I'm glad she enjoys it.

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1239
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2021, 06:02:10 AM »
What are some good plants that like shade and don’t need to be watered too often?  Pictures for extra credit.
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

AnotherHardDayAtTheOffice

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -8
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2021, 06:24:11 AM »
What are some good plants that like shade and don’t need to be watered too often?  Pictures for extra credit.

Zamioculcas (also called ZZ plant) looks amazing, likes the shade and only needs to be watered every 2 weeks. I have one at home and bought one for my classroom. Both have been doing great. Seems indestructible.

Another option is sansevieria. Tons of light, little light, these motherfuckers couldn't care less.

« Last Edit: June 15, 2021, 08:14:06 AM by AnotherHardDayAtTheOffice »

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2021, 06:36:11 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Zamioculcas (also called ZZ plant) looks amazing, likes the shade and only needs to be watered every 2 weeks. I have one at home and bought one for my classroom. Both have been doing. Seems indestructible.

Another option is sansevieria. Tons of light, little light, these motherfuckers couldn't care less.

Seconded. These are the two plants I neglect the most and they're both out of control. The snake plant is also super easy to propagate if you want more.

@DaleSr for the fiddle leaf, make sure the soil is really well drained and don't water it too much (I probably water mine once every two weeks). I also put a bunch of gravel in the bottom of the pot. I have a north-facing back patio (south Philly slab) that gets partial sun and I keep it outside from like mothers day until just before the first frost, and it really seems to like that.

Our house is overrun, though this time of year we put a bunch of things (fiddle fig, crown of thorns, umbrella tree) outside. I am guessing right now we probably have around 40 plants inside. My wife is very talented with plants but I have been trying to keep up as of late.

Also trying to care for some African violets if anyone has any tips. I have been watering with warm water from a dish, have it in a south-facing window, and leaves look happy. But, I can't get it to flower.

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1474
  • Illusion Flip
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2021, 06:52:18 AM »
I rescued a small rubber plant my wife got from her mom after she had left it out too long and it almost froze to death one fall. It was a stick and a leaf at one point. It bounced back over the years and I propagated it last summer successfully into three more very large (two to three feet tall) and healthy looking plants.

I also have four spider plants that I started this year from "babies" someone in my neighborhood were giving away. Two are doing well and the other two were smaller babies to begin with so they're struggling.

My wife bought me a snake plant for christmas and I split it into two when repotting and they seem to be doing well.

I like to think I have a green thumb from my family's roots on my dad's side which were subsistence farmers in the Philippines just a few generations back. It looks like it's been passed onto my daughter, too, because her succulent plants look great.

My wife kills plants.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2021, 07:25:56 AM by layzieyez »

JB

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 858
  • Rusty Berrings Roll Forever
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2021, 07:02:35 AM »
Not a plant man, but this rips.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7y2fbY23Dg

matty_c

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 459
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2021, 07:23:19 AM »
Main man is this cactus from 1991, have cut bits off and given to friends, he doesn’t mind
listen to cosmic psychos

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1239
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2021, 07:43:49 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Zamioculcas (also called ZZ plant) looks amazing, likes the shade and only needs to be watered every 2 weeks. I have one at home and bought one for my classroom. Both have been doing. Seems indestructible.

Thank you.  Extra credit granted.
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

DaleSr

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2021, 11:05:12 AM »
I've got an East facing living room that gets a lot of sun and I've just gotta dial in where to put certain plants in the apartment. I might experiment with putting a fiddle leaf in our bedroom because my gf wants plants in there now after opposing all of my plant endeavors up to this point

mushroom slice

« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2021, 06:44:24 PM »
I grow weed. Does that count?

Baby on Board

• Rep: 33
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2021, 10:08:08 AM »
Like a lot of y’all me and the wife went crazy on houseplants in the last year. It’s hot as fuck in Texas though so a lot of Succulents, cacti, and aloe. Got a huge monstera that hangs out on the patio, east facing and partly shaded. Wife’s got a couple vine’s too, some Swiss cheese plants, and she started propagating a couple months ago

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2021, 11:00:21 AM »
Swiss cheese plants,

Tell me more! I come from Switzerland but never knew the cheese grew on plants.  ;D

On topic I have a few orchids that are more than 10 years old but still keep blossoming from time to time. Very little care required and the flowers are beautiful.
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

DaleSr

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2021, 11:04:09 AM »
Expand Quote
Swiss cheese plants,
[close]

Tell me more! I come from Switzerland but never knew the cheese grew on plants.  ;D

On topic I have a few orchids that are more than 10 years old but still keep blossoming from time to time. Very little care required and the flowers are beautiful.

That's dope, I've always thought orchids are gorgeous but have been very intimidated by them

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2021, 12:47:15 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Swiss cheese plants,
[close]

[close]

That's dope, I've always thought orchids are gorgeous but have been very intimidated by them

Just take the standard species, they'll come in a transparent plastic pot filled with some substrate and then some outer pot. Look for a nice spot where they have some daylight (ideally morning light).

Every two or three weeks you take them out of the outer pot, fill it with water and put them back in, let them "bathe" for a half hour, take them out, empty the water and you're good for another two or three weeks.

You don't need to cut them or anything, once the flowers are done, they'll fall off, the leaves too when they are done. The branches will turn brown and become all woody when they're done, then you can cut them or just leave them.

Obviously there are tons of google tutorials on how to cut the roots or fertilize them etc but I have never done anything. Now after more than ten years, they don't blossom very often and sometimes nothing happens for more than a year but all of a sudden a new branch grows and gives three or four flowers. The flowers last for quite a bit (a few weeks) which is cool.

Tl;dr: Orchids are great and don't require much care.
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

pugmaster

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1537
  • Overweight and Underprepared
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2021, 02:04:19 PM »
I started growing tomatoes, basil, and other herbs in my apartment. I'm on the ground floor and it ended up attracting lots of bugs so I gave up.
"...We got the nuclear worm over here..."

Never forget:
Rusty_Berrings, 360 frip, Yapple Dapple, Bubblegum Tate

matt_2993

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 214
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2021, 02:05:23 PM »
Got 2 amazing Birds of Paradise plants from Costco for only 30 bucks each. My girl was planning to buy them online for over a hundred bucks each so we couldn't be more stoked.  Peep your local Costco if you're after some plants

sproutslide

• Rep: 0
  • Skate or die?
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2021, 02:31:47 PM »
Planted Evening primrose and Snapdragon seed flowers 3 days ago in little pots. The seeds are finally sprouting and I am super excited. After a long sesh its rewarding  get   and see them grow.

Mantracker

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 160
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2021, 08:27:17 AM »
Moved into a new place with my girl and it was her birthday a few days ago so we got many plants as gifts

got a nice big monstera and banana plant and massive potted purple orchid and a bunch of things I dont know the name of

it's amazing how lush and welcoming plants make your home

star puppy

• Rep: -14
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2021, 08:33:13 AM »
i_ed_help_cuz_i_roke
.. i dream of Marley.. - Candy

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1474
  • Illusion Flip
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2021, 08:51:51 AM »
Does anyone have a pachira? I think this is going to be my next acquisition. And maybe a lucky bamboo plant if I can find one. Both are supposed to be fairly easy.

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2021, 10:31:42 AM »
Does anyone have a pachira? I think this is going to be my next acquisition. And maybe a lucky bamboo plant if I can find one. Both are supposed to be fairly easy.

We got one from a friend who moved out of town and they're very easy to care for. They don't need direct sunlight and you can over or under water them and they won't die (unless you really go to one extreme).

matt_2993

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 214
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2021, 02:00:54 PM »
^^^ watch out for too much sun with those dudes. We watered ours and it actually got sun burnt all over the leaves by getting direct light from the window and might be fucked now. Hopefully its all good but lesson learned

Dr-Feelgood

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 37
  • Hello, i love you, won't you tell me your name?
« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2021, 10:15:47 PM »
Hell yeah my dudes, I work with plants so never spent too much personal time with them cause i wasnt bothered but i just moved into a new place and ive been pimping it out with green. Got a Devils ivy growing down my book shelf and a little potted umbrella plant next to my tv along side a few other little gems. I admit they do make the place look nicer, i love the easy to maintain/little maintenance plants that are good indoors with partial sun and only need water once a week or so

We may not know what skateboarding is
But we sure as hell know what it aint
Wait we know what it is now too -
Falling down and gettin back up

ChronicBluntSlider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2021, 10:20:50 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Zamioculcas (also called ZZ plant) looks amazing, likes the shade and only needs to be watered every 2 weeks. I have one at home and bought one for my classroom. Both have been doing great. Seems indestructible.

I have a few of the second one around the house because I read somewhere it is one of the highest oxygen producing plants on the planet. Might be more of a placebo effect but I like to think they’re some kind of natural air purifier.

superleftswipebby

• Rep: 12
« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2021, 07:57:06 PM »
i had some lavender for a week or two. my ma wanted it and i jus gave it to her.

tried planting some bud. it was going well. eventually bugs fuckt it up

Krooked antihero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 157
« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2021, 08:00:14 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I have a few of the second one around the house because I read somewhere it is one of the highest oxygen producing plants on the planet. Might be more of a placebo effect but I like to think they’re some kind of natural air purifier.
That 2nd plant is called ”tongue of mother-in-law” in our language, as is it as hard to get rid of no matter how poorly you treat it.
europe's like the capitol of england and france and whatever

It sucks getting old.

KoRnholio8

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1467
  • SkateMagArchive
    • SkateMagArchive avatar image
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2021, 08:56:19 AM »
My wife went fucking nuts over the last year with plants. We have a ton, and I'm honestly scared to find out how much she spent on house plants. It's her thing now though, and I'm glad she enjoys it.

My wife went over-board as well, seems like a common thing to pass the isolation. However, she went for a few of the rare/pricey/fiddly plants (and some where shipped in not-optimal weather conditions), so keeping these plants alive and without pests has been futile.

The current stat is that we now have a select group of bullet-proof common plants and a similar amount of the rare plants, but they are not a source of peace and calm anymore, but more of a fucking hassle. We got trips with one shipping so we spent a pretty penny on predatory mites etc. Now I have to automate the grow-tent before we go off on holidays, so we have some alive plants when we come home ... even more hassle. I fucking hate these plants.

KoRnholio8

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1467
  • SkateMagArchive
    • SkateMagArchive avatar image
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2021, 08:57:29 AM »
That 2nd plant is called ”tongue of mother-in-law” in our language, as is it as hard to get rid of no matter how poorly you treat it.

We call them the same, where are you from?

Krooked antihero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 157
« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2021, 11:51:06 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

We call them the same, where are you from?
Finland
europe's like the capitol of england and france and whatever

It sucks getting old.