Author Topic: Worst/cheapest piece of gear you’ve used  (Read 3718 times)

lamfordie

• Trade Count: (-1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 278
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Worst/cheapest piece of gear you’ve used
« Reply #30 on: May 26, 2021, 07:25:20 PM »
Skated some of the straye slip on shoes and I really liked them. The suede held up really good and the sole didn't bald out.

slutbang666

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 2
« Reply #31 on: May 26, 2021, 08:30:55 PM »
Royals that I got for cheaper when building my complete on ccs.com. I had a sick new deal Ricky Oyola with royals that bent the first week, But I was 13 and it was 2002.

funeral_tuxedo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1137
  • old and in the way
« Reply #32 on: May 26, 2021, 08:46:32 PM »
When I was maybe 14 yrs old Ken from ZT Maximus convinced me to buy a set of Tracker trucks with the plastic parts. They were terrible.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 35
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #33 on: May 26, 2021, 09:38:38 PM »
I remember all those Lakai Selects were ubershit
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

mynameisnotjeff

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 582
« Reply #34 on: May 26, 2021, 09:40:27 PM »
Bought some Element thrift wood bearings. The employee told me they were great and I was hyped. They were $10 and at first they were slow and I figured they’d break in. They never did and some kid in school asked for them. They gave out while he bombed a hill.

I bullet trucks are cheap but turn nicely. A friend had a cruiser with a set and they were surprisingly really good.
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

Cthunderw

• Rep: 16
« Reply #35 on: May 26, 2021, 09:44:10 PM »
I had a pair of Lakai Protos in the white leather with red and black, and they fell apart in several ways that I had never had happen to me before. They were such terrible shoes but I got them for $50cad so I couldn't say no.

1. The Lakai side logos both came unglued from the sides in about two weeks, but they were held on by stitching so those flopped around until I could cut them off.
2. The sole chipped off.  It didn't wear down. The individual honeycombs of the sole would come off one by one and I would leave little trails around the skatepark.
3. The lacing leather trim came completely detached from the rest of the shoe from the third eyelet down on my right (goofy) foot.
4. The laces were ridiculously long.
5. Zero shock absorption.
6. Heel loops of course broke.

Mantracker

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 160
« Reply #36 on: May 26, 2021, 10:18:17 PM »
I bullet trucks are cheap but turn nicely. A friend had a cruiser with a set and they were surprisingly really good.

I have a set lying around that are 8.5 wide lows and they actually are decent trucks, but not as good as my Aces

Worst gear I’ve ever bought was an Enjoi price point deck. Snapped within 10 minutes of skating on a flat ground hard flip

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 871
« Reply #37 on: May 27, 2021, 12:15:24 AM »
I bought some of those unshielded Bronsons when I needed some bearings in the early shutdown stage of the pandemic. I knew better intellectually than to trust a bearing without a shield, but these were literally the *only* bearings in town and I wanted to support my local shop, which I was naively believed might have a bad year due to quarantine.

Complete trash. Lasted a handful of sessions, until I rolled into the dirt and they were basically destroyed permanently. I can't believe that they can charge so much for a product that sucks so comprehensively.

My synopsis of Bronson raws is that they might be pretty good if they had shields. I had the same "I should know better" feeling when I bought them but then I vividly remember going out the first day and being genuinely a little scared by how fast they were. I was thinking maybe the hype and marketing was actually real and was starting to come to terms with the fact that I might have to admit I was wrong about them. Then a week later they were dirty and slow and just have never been the same even after meticulous cleaning. There's just no real way to bring a bearing back after the inner races get damaged, which is the entire point of shields in the first place. Why the fuck not just make that bearing but with a good non contact shield?

I guess if all you skate is clean, pristine concrete parks they might last a little longer and be decent, but literally a week on just normal east coast streets in summer (so not even bad crust or the snow/rain/salt shut we get for half the year) was enough to kill them.

Also "audible speed technology" is the most ridiculous marketing angle I've seen in a while.. As if popping shields and running your bearings dry is some sort of technological marvel that no other bearing can replicate.

I will say that my g3 have been decent enough. They were over lubed out of the box but once they broke in and dried out a bit I found them to be pretty solid.

spanyard

• Rep: 77
« Reply #38 on: May 27, 2021, 09:42:38 AM »
This isn't skateboarding related but i bought a Slayer shirt with the pentagram on it and my mother made me throw it away

coffee spitted. future gnar.

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 626
« Reply #39 on: May 27, 2021, 10:19:58 AM »
Vans TNT SG's, not to be the guy who blames his gear but i could not fucking kickflip in those shoes. Maybe I just got a bad batch but they felt like fucking cinderblocks, no boardfeel, the outsole didn't really flick as it should, if anything it felt like it just dragged. As much as I tried to give them a shot and break them in, the outsole started coming away in strips/chunks after 2 weeks and they didn't last much longer after that. Most disappointing shoe I've skated.

OJ From Concentrate 101a wheels - I didn't expect much from a pricepoint wheel but they did not fucking slide at all, coupled with the fact NONE of the bearings would seat correctly and instead flopped around loosely in the wheel which gave it fucking diagonal play as seen here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpjxbFrjyuw

Who else ran hubba/enjoi coloured bolts when they were young and ended up with them stripping or seizing? fucking dogshit. Andale Guy Mariano bearings on sale, skated great for about a week until three of them blew out in the same session, even the wax that came with it sucked.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 35
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #40 on: May 27, 2021, 11:58:57 AM »
Vans TNT SG's, not to be the guy who blames his gear but i could not fucking kickflip in those shoes. Maybe I just got a bad batch but they felt like fucking cinderblocks, no boardfeel, the outsole didn't really flick as it should, if anything it felt like it just dragged. As much as I tried to give them a shot and break them in, the outsole started coming away in strips/chunks after 2 weeks and they didn't last much longer after that. Most disappointing shoe I've skated.
I can confirm this 100%
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

WavyDavy

• Rep: 129
« Reply #41 on: May 27, 2021, 01:21:55 PM »
Lakai Mariano xlk was the worst shoe i ever had. Had bloody bruised heel all the time, zero board feel. The Carroll selects i had before were nice tho

TheCrimsonShroud

• Rep: 98
« Reply #42 on: May 27, 2021, 04:55:04 PM »
Expand Quote
I really liked the pair of Straye’s I skate.
[close]
always get mixed up with state and straye both pretty nice, get clowned for wearing state though because all the kids at my local think it says skate and is some generic brand. all good though cuz i got that financial responsibility and can look fresh for less than the price of reduced school lunch, big ups ben gore
I have two pairs of Straye and they’re more comfortable than Vans or Nikes. Literally feel broken in out of the box.

Witcheshit

• Rep: 3
  • nosebeforehoes.blogspot.com
    • nose before hoes avatar image
« Reply #43 on: May 27, 2021, 05:37:38 PM »
Vox Hewitts. I love Hewitt, but the insoles felt like a no 2 pencil eraser smh just terrible
I had a hand me down ccs/active blank and it took longer to delaminate then the early 00's dlx wood or whatever else I would use, but because I'm low impact skater (read: top rope slappys from and crack nollies) my equiptment lasts for a while

Roll Forever Tate, 360 Frip, Yappie Dappie, Rusty, T Mack, Pablo, Malcolm, Nosey, Abair

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1117
« Reply #44 on: May 27, 2021, 06:09:41 PM »
Expand Quote
I bought some of those unshielded Bronsons when I needed some bearings in the early shutdown stage of the pandemic. I knew better intellectually than to trust a bearing without a shield, but these were literally the *only* bearings in town and I wanted to support my local shop, which I was naively believed might have a bad year due to quarantine.

Complete trash. Lasted a handful of sessions, until I rolled into the dirt and they were basically destroyed permanently. I can't believe that they can charge so much for a product that sucks so comprehensively.
[close]

There's just no real way to bring a bearing back after the inner races get damaged, which is the entire point of shields in the first place. Why the fuck not just make that bearing but with a good non contact shield?

Exactly. One piece of sand in the bearing and the race is going to be permanently toast. But you hit on it with their "audible" marketing - they sound a certain way, a way that a lot of people associate with "fast", even if it's actually the sound of a bearing getting destroyed.

I suspect that their regular shielded bearings are just fine, but I've got Swiss in both my setups now, so I see no reason to mess with a good thing.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

rosemaryBB

• Rep: 26
« Reply #45 on: May 27, 2021, 09:13:09 PM »
Had a set of hollow core Rictas when I was a teenager, can't remember if they were called Clouds then or if that's a new name (this was in probably like 03 or 04) and they were the most insanely awful wheels I've ever skated. They eventually collapsed in on themselves.

mynameisnotjeff

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #46 on: May 27, 2021, 09:32:54 PM »
Andale Guy Mariano bearings on sale, skated great for about a week until three of them blew out in the same session, even the wax that came with it sucked.

Ayo Andale is horrendous. I’ve had a few pro sets and the Abec 7s and they were all horrendous. Like damn, they rolled shittily and for the price they didn’t make a difference. I will say this every time they come up.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1891
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #47 on: May 27, 2021, 09:54:31 PM »
Had a set of hollow core Rictas when I was a teenager, can't remember if they were called Clouds then or if that's a new name (this was in probably like 03 or 04) and they were the most insanely awful wheels I've ever skated. They eventually collapsed in on themselves.

Ricta Aircores - 4 wheels at the weight of 3!
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Hyliannightmare

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -204
« Reply #48 on: May 27, 2021, 11:47:40 PM »

The homie set this up at a sesh the other night because I had actually snapped my board so he let me ride his beat deck. And within 2 tries of a frontside flip down a 2 stair clean snapped

pugmaster

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1537
  • Overweight and Underprepared
« Reply #49 on: May 27, 2021, 11:52:53 PM »

The homie set this up at a sesh the other night because I had actually snapped my board so he let me ride his beat deck. And within 2 tries of a frontside flip down a 2 stair it croaked
"...We got the nuclear worm over here..."

Never forget:
Rusty_Berrings, 360 frip, Yapple Dapple, Bubblegum Tate

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1891
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #50 on: May 28, 2021, 12:23:32 AM »

The homie set this up at a sesh the other night because I had actually snapped my board so he let me ride his beat deck. And within 2 tries of a frontside flip down a 2 stair clean snapped

Someone on here mentioned that Mini Logo and Powell PP decks are made of Birch, not maple. Will suffice for kids but definitely not on par with maple.

I noticed that Dwindle does the same with their boards. Resin Birch, Resin Hybrid (Maple + Birch), Resin-7.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

LordManHammer

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -323
  • (0_o) whatever dog you probably suck at it
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #51 on: June 06, 2021, 09:09:47 PM »
Expand Quote
Andale Guy Mariano bearings on sale, skated great for about a week until three of them blew out in the same session, even the wax that came with it sucked.
[close]

Ayo Andale is horrendous. I’ve had a few pro sets and the Abec 7s and they were all horrendous. Like damn, they rolled shittily and for the price they didn’t make a difference. I will say this every time they come up.
As someone else said I’d rather pack my bearings with dog shit to ever get or buy Cortinas or Andele bearings, I got a set of one and the other from my exwife as she didn’t know any better only they were cheaper than Reds which is bs, had the bearings I mentioned earlier they were trash.
Dueces Bitch's

mynameisnotjeff

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #52 on: June 07, 2021, 06:06:40 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
As someone else said I’d rather pack my bearings with dog shit to ever get or buy Cortinas or Andele bearings, I got a set of one and the other from my exwife as she didn’t know any better only they were cheaper than Reds which is bs, had the bearings I mentioned earlier they were trash.

I got some Cortinas, they’re not as bad as Andale. Definitely okay. The most expensive Andale bearings probably perform as good as a red. Cortina bearings are somewhere around super reds. They’re just flashy.

TheCrimsonShroud

• Rep: 98
« Reply #53 on: June 07, 2021, 04:38:16 PM »
Speaking of bearings, I got some Globe Abec 7s to round out an order and they rushed within a week. Like, I ride them in the drizzle and they rusted and locked. I have them in acetone but I think I’ll just try some Quantums instead. I’m not even digging reds (I have skate Warehouse bearings that perform better than my reds) so may as well switch it up.

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 277
« Reply #54 on: June 07, 2021, 07:29:16 PM »

Someone on here mentioned that Mini Logo and Powell PP decks are made of Birch, not maple. Will suffice for kids but definitely not on par with maple.

Powell pricepoint completes are birch.  Mini Logo are maple as are the Powell $49 and up decks.

superleftswipebby

• Rep: 12
« Reply #55 on: June 11, 2021, 08:48:44 PM »
not the worst but are bummers.
bones big balls. the cages broke on my first set. i eventually got a replacement set. one ollie and i hear a crack. surprisingly the bearings still roll but the rattling noise is annoying af. these are still better then shake just triple ogs

Srt32srt

• Rep: 1
« Reply #56 on: June 13, 2021, 09:49:59 AM »
Anything SHAKE JUNT! bearings Suck! vans shoes arent as grippy as regular pro vans.

augustmoon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 787
« Reply #57 on: June 13, 2021, 09:51:18 AM »
Grind King trucks

FKD bearings

Any recent Toy Machine board
Fuck brandon biebel... The lemon thrower