Author Topic: Good Cheap Gear  (Read 3141 times)

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1078
Re: Good Cheap Gear
« Reply #30 on: June 09, 2021, 01:52:25 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
35th ave shop decks cost 40, are BBS and I'm really into the last one I skated. Liked it more than the orchard gangemi i got on that big orchard sale a while back for 35 bucks. Shop decks all the way. I got a solstice shop deck w jessup and a t shirt for $66 out the door the other day. Can't go wrong

They're not hella cheap but the quantum bearings have been real nice for 30-35 as well.
[close]

Some of the best art in the shop deck game. My girlfriend is a Seattle native so I bought the most recent deck as a rare wall hanger.
[close]

Ya man, good quality shit for sure. Felt like a pro model dlx tbh.

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
35th ave shop decks cost 40, are BBS and I'm really into the last one I skated. Liked it more than the orchard gangemi i got on that big orchard sale a while back for 35 bucks. Shop decks all the way. I got a solstice shop deck w jessup and a t shirt for $66 out the door the other day. Can't go wrong

They're not hella cheap but the quantum bearings have been real nice for 30-35 as well.
[close]
I've edged on the Quantums for a few weeks now. On the one hand, $20 isn't bad for metal ones, but it's like, why not step up? So I get caught in a loop.
[close]

I mean, we spend 40-70bucks on a deck that lasts what 3-7 weeks? I've skated sets of bones swiss for 5+yrs. I'm interested to see how long these quantum's go. I will say that i thought it odd that they required a lubing after only a month of light, parking lot skating, but they're real nice now  ???
[close]

Skating fucks your value system up lol. Skate a deck for a few months tops, drop $60+ on a new one. $80 for shoes a few times a year. But I look at bearings and don't want to spend more than $20. I don't get it either.

Last year, I was forced to buy some Bronson Raws during the first lockdown, since these were literally the only bearings in town. They lasted a few weeks, and after that I bought Bones Swiss 6, and haven't looked back. I won't run cheap bearings again, it's a bad value proposition.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Bold

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 36
« Reply #31 on: June 09, 2021, 02:13:21 PM »
Tactics shop decks are from BBS, $40 with grip is a steal. Graphics are simple but they work for me.
How steep are the nose and tail on those tactics decks?

Cthunderw

• Rep: 16
« Reply #32 on: June 09, 2021, 03:11:33 PM »
I've been using Zealous Ceramics longboard bearings with built in spacers and  speed rings. I picked them up for like $45 Canadian they have been pretty decent for me so far. They don't pass the free-spin test but they seem to just keep going when weighted.

PrettyRicki

• Rep: 10
  • Symmetrical boards <3
« Reply #33 on: June 09, 2021, 03:24:45 PM »
I've been using Zealous Ceramics longboard bearings with built in spacers and  speed rings. I picked them up for like $45 Canadian they have been pretty decent for me so far. They don't pass the free-spin test but they seem to just keep going when weighted.

Did you lube them up at all before/during install? My Rush Swiss bearings didn't free spin or perform that well until I used the lube that came with them.

Bronson Raws should be in their own thread called Bad Expensive Gear.

Cthunderw

• Rep: 16
« Reply #34 on: June 09, 2021, 03:33:15 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Did you lube them up at all before/during install? My Rush Swiss bearings didn't free spin or perform that well until I used the lube that came with them.
Not at all, they were actually oozing the grease for the first few sessions But I just wiped that away. That was a first but I kinda just chalked that up to $40 ceramics and will ride them until they sucked, which hasn’t started yet.

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 279
« Reply #35 on: June 09, 2021, 03:38:30 PM »

Zealous are super slow to start, but after a few weeks they get faster and then end up pretty good.  The great thing about them is that they are super well sealed.  They just don't get dirty - zero maintenance. I have a set of the steel ones that are 3 years old that have never been touched and are faster than the day I bought them.

I have wanted to try the ceramics.

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1151
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #36 on: June 09, 2021, 03:49:45 PM »
Mini logo bearings deserve a spot at the top of this thread

Best deal in skating.
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

chrisskates808

« Reply #37 on: June 09, 2021, 03:54:51 PM »
Mini logo bearings deserve a spot at the top of this thread

One of best budget bearings! I’d say they’re equivalent to reds

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1958
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #38 on: June 09, 2021, 08:08:49 PM »
Expand Quote
Tactics shop decks are from BBS, $40 with grip is a steal. Graphics are simple but they work for me.
[close]
How steep are the nose and tail on those tactics decks?

I would say medium high? Haven't ridden a BBS deck in a while, last one I rode was in 2020 from Canada Skate Shop (Ben Degros).

+1 for the resin 7 decks on sale

You guys got into my head and I picked up a Blind 8.38 R7 on sale, graphics be damned! Team is still rad, happy to support the new guys in the brand.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

TheCrimsonShroud

• Rep: 98
« Reply #39 on: June 10, 2021, 09:53:53 AM »
I hate blind graphics, but I've thought about the R7s myself.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #40 on: June 10, 2021, 10:17:52 PM »

Should be here Monday, it's a Jason Maxham DJ Reaper graphic (oh lordy). Time to break out the stickers.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 279
« Reply #41 on: June 12, 2021, 10:14:39 AM »
Expand Quote
all the mini logo stuff , decks, bearings, wheels and maybe even trucks are the best budget hardgoods out there.
[close]

Trucks are quite different than any other brand's offerings.  They are a super low (48mm) truck that actually turns.  They grind quite well.  The downsides are that they have shit kingpin clearance, and I have had a kingpin get a little wobbly.  Overall, they are not only super good for the money but can hold their own against most other trucks IF you can get over the kingpin clearance and know you may have to run a thin riser.   Sizing is 8, 8.38 and 8.75, so no 8.5.  I have only used the 8 and 8.38.

Decks are decent for the price.  Super mellow kicks which I really like on flat. I can skate them in transition, but do prefer something a bit steeper. Once again, quite different offerings than other companies (other than Powell).  I have skated 6 or 7 of their decks over the last couple years.

Bearings are fine for cheap ones. Probably as good as most other $20 ones - I just don't run $20 bearings.   I have been putting these in my kids setup, but am probably switching them to the $14 Zealous next time because the Zealous are super well sealed and I'll never have to clean them.

Wheels are not up to F4 or SPF/STF levels, but what do you want for $20?  I have a set of 55mm A-Cut on a spare setup and they are good enough - but I'll almost always choose a high end wheel. They do flat spot easier than the high end, but are fine on a budget.

I could skate a full Mini Logo setup including tape, hardware and a 1/10th riser and still be happy with my setup.

I take it back. I pulled some 55mm A cuts out of my parts bin to set up a board. I went to a super smooth transition park and it felt like I had brakes on compared to my SPF / ceramics. I took a couple runs and then went back to the car and pulled out a faster board.  I just can’t do cheap bearings and wheels.

I still stand by being able to skate the decks and trucks.

Grip Jobs

« Reply #42 on: June 12, 2021, 10:56:53 PM »
I drove by a tiny skate shop in a garage or something. when I was in the suburbs and got 2 pivot cups for 50 cents. Dude had like 1000 pivot cups. I probably should have bought more but I told him I’d be back if they are good. It was kinda hypebeast but they had decent shit.

Nap

• Rep: 2
« Reply #43 on: June 13, 2021, 09:42:31 AM »
Because i am low on budget borrowed a set of Mini-Logo Wheels ( A-Cut 101A) from a homie. They ride nice but obviously they are not proper for powerslides on rough asphalt (which is quite common here in Berlin). But perfectly forgiving for slides/grinds on concrete or metall ledges, or old curbs, and riding perfectly on marble-like grounds (grip and powerslide-wise).

I see myself buying next time some 99A's.

Srt32srt

• Rep: 1
« Reply #44 on: June 13, 2021, 09:47:38 AM »
Any sale Resin 7 boards (usually Darkstar unfortunately). Just gotta diy the graphic or clean it off. Just got one for $35.

thats all i buy are dwindle bargain decks, only size 8.25" with 14"wb mostly stay with blind or superior, same shape, when you go to globe they have fuller more rounded nose and tails with the same concave. havent tried darkstar yet but planning on picking up one for a backup. plus they use 4+ colored plys in most their bargain decks, which most brands dont do more than 2 colored plys. anyone have a list of all dwindle brands  that sell the single press bargain decks?

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #45 on: June 13, 2021, 07:59:13 PM »
Expand Quote
Any sale Resin 7 boards (usually Darkstar unfortunately). Just gotta diy the graphic or clean it off. Just got one for $35.
[close]

thats all i buy are dwindle bargain decks, only size 8.25" with 14"wb mostly stay with blind or superior, same shape, when you go to globe they have fuller more rounded nose and tails with the same concave. havent tried darkstar yet but planning on picking up one for a backup. plus they use 4+ colored plys in most their bargain decks, which most brands dont do more than 2 colored plys. anyone have a list of all dwindle brands  that sell the single press bargain decks?

https://tgmskateboards.com/longboard-and-cruiser-clearance/hardgoods/

Not the list you were looking for but R7 boards at $40-ish is pretty sweet.

Edit: rode a R7, first DSM deck I've ridden in 10 years. Blind 8.38, incredibly steep kicks and concave which I can deal with but the stiffness was otherworldly. Zero flex at all and it sounded / felt very dense, felt overly manufactured, if that makes sense. Steep kicks were no nonsense at all, either you give a 100% effort pop or you're ghost popping all day. Not un-rideable but steep learning curve versus a BBS / PS Stix deck.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2021, 09:07:06 AM by rocklobster »
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

PrettyRicki

• Rep: 10
  • Symmetrical boards <3
« Reply #46 on: June 15, 2021, 01:55:19 PM »
https://www.sk8kings.com/steel-axle-spacers-18-four-pack.html

These 1/8" spacers work well to widen the stance of your wheels so it feels like riding trucks that are 1/4" wider. They work well on 8" trucks on a 8.25" board, 8.25" trucks and 8.5" board, etc.

They're not great with super narrow wheels like tablets, radial slims, or 50mm/51mm classics because the spacer is more exposed but it's probably madness. They're good with radials, conicals, and 53mm+ classics.

Boog

• Rep: 200
« Reply #47 on: June 15, 2021, 02:16:34 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Should be here Monday, it's a Jason Maxham DJ Reaper graphic (oh lordy). Time to break out the stickers.
Lol "Jason" Maxham

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #48 on: June 15, 2021, 07:55:29 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
Lol "Jason" Maxham

Jordan Maxham

I was thinking of Jason Maxwell, old pro who used to ride for DNA distribution companies.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m